From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2523
Date: Thursday, March 17, 2005 11:25 PM

1. Re: More on Headlights...
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Johnny Carson Car Update
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Original key blank needed--Key code 7232 anyone???
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Engine Support Questions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: "DeLorean" documentary on Trio
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Blue Book Value
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Johnny Carson Car Update Jay -
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. R12A
From: "thebrave65" <ssawyer37_at_dml_cox.net>

15. DELOREAN ARTICLE IN THE N.Y. TIMES TOMORROW
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Nitrous
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: Re: DMC Delorean Headlight Covers Now 119.99
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

19. Re: Re: Engine Support Questions
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:51:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: More on Headlights...

Celebrity - my bad!

Dick

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:47:42 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Johnny Carson Car Update

Leno has stated many times on TV car shows that he doesn't collect
cars because of celebrities having owned them. He collects the car
for the car, and couldn't care less who used to own it, so I doubt
he'd care about the Johnny Carson DMC-12.

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_n...>

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:32:18 -0000
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage

How would someone mess with the 'fuel mixture'? Or emissions
controls?  I do know that before I bought it they were having
trouble passing smog. A new 'part' was ordered (they didn't tell me
what part) and eventually a new catalytic converter.  It finally
passed smog.  Does that help pinpoint the problem?

I have not checked the 02 sensor, I have a book, so I'll start
digging on where to find that. (I'm not really a car guy, obviously)

I do not smell any gas fumes, although I've thought I've smelled
a 'burn' type of smell on occasion.

Will followup with a call if I get really lost :)

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:36:06 -0000
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks for the reply!

The tailpipe does have black film in it...not sure where to find the
other objects you mentioned (WOT, etc) to check.  Will have to go to
my trusty book.  Pardon my ignorance, but what does it mean when a
motor is 'set too rich?'.

Driving habits are tame, been a manual tranny driver for awhile.
Although if I do floor the car on the freeway to pass, I can
literally see the fuel gauge drop...fast.  No joke.  Does that help ?

Thanks again...

What does it mean 'to have the motor set too rich?'

> You may need a tune-up and possibly an alignment. Is the inside of
> your tailpipe coated with a black, carbony film? Stick your finger
in
> it (when cold) and see. If so the motor may be set too rich or you
> have a missfiring plug. You could also have low compression or the
> Lambda system is not functioning. Does the valve bolted onto the
right
> valve cover buzz and does the buzzing change when you push on the
WOT
> switch when the engine is warm? Just a couple of things to check.
> Driving style is also important. Review your driving technique and
> make sure you are in the right gear for the speed you are traveling
> at. For freeway driving (over 45-50) you should be in 5th gear.
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christian_Witt"
<christian_witt_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:45:30 -0000
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks!  Do you do these things yourself?  And is it difficult?

As I mentioned to another gentleman in a different post, the
catalytic converter needed replacing before I bought the car.

I thought I may have sucked up some dirt in the tank the first time
I drove it and let the tank get to pretty darn empty.  It never
really drove the same after that.

Thanks again for the advice...

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_s...>
wrote:

> Christian,
>
> Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell you to fix this.  I'm
assuming your car has been sitting for some time before you bought
it (as almost all DeLoreans have).  You really need to perform a
fuel system overhaul.

> Start at the tank and work your way back to the engine.  It could
be several issues including: overly rich mixture adjustment, sticky
fuel distributor plunger, bad injectors, etc.  You really shouldn't
drive on it like this for long since that much fuel could damage
(and potentially already has) your cat. converter, wash out your
cylinders, and more.

> Don't worry, though.  When you get the system resolved your
mileage will be pretty good.  I regularly get over 20MPG around
town, and I've gotten as high as 27.5MPG on level interstate through
Indiana.

> Also, don't forget about the other systems!  If your car has been
sitting long enough to have fuel problems, it's been sitting long
enough to have other problems.  Better take a look at cleaning and
updating the electrical system thoroughly, coolant hoses and
radiator, and all hydraulic systems (ie. brakes, clutch).  As David
T. always says, do these correctly one at a time and you'll soon see
the reliability you'll enjoy.

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:38:25 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Original key blank needed--Key code 7232 anyone???

Hey Aaron,
I know this may be a long shot...but if you know your key code I may
be able to help you out.  I have two original DMC keys, cut to code
#7232 as well as the lock for behind the driver's seat.  These keys
look absolutely brand new, no rust and the keys almost look chrome.
The little NSP looks perfect as well.  In fact, I had to double check
these with my DMCH blank to make sure they weren't reproductions they
look so new.  Does this help anyone out??  If this is your ignition
key code, let me know and we can work out a deal for the keys.

Patrick
1880

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Aaron, I have owned two DeLoreans, both were the single key system.
My origional keys for both cars had small hairline cracks where the
key cut left the most narrow strip of metal. I was always afraid the
origional keys would break at the cracked area so I had new keys cut
using COLE Volvo X29 blanks. That key never cracked where the
origional keys did. Now that DMC Texas, has reproduction keys
available I have bought two of them and I have been using one for
several years and it still looks new.  I only use the origional keys
as patterns to cut new keys. Rod VIN 10921

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2164&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:41:59 -0000
From: "Christian_Witt" <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I'd love 20mpg!  I am not sure what maintenance the previous owner
did on the car.  He took it to auto shows, and kept it well
maintained (clean) but as for the tuneups, I don't know.  The widow
of the owner kept it garaged for probably the last 3 years at least,
with her neighbor/new husband driving it rarely.

I assume the hoses have been replaced, as there were spares in the
trunk when I purchased it.  Will take a look at the other items you
recommended.  I was unaware things like spark plugs could affect gas
mileage...although the fuel filter had crossed my mind.

In an unrelated problem, if I try to drive the car in cold weather,
the first mile or so has a problem getting going after a stop. I can
floor it and it slowly accelerates.  Like you said, sounds like an
overhaul is needed.  Just a pricey way to solve a problem...replace
everything :)

> You should be getting at least 20mpg if you are mostly freeway.
You said

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:39:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Support Questions

>From the pictures I have to guess that the car had some frame rot and
what you can see done was the removal of the rotten metal and
replacement with new. From what I can tell in the pictures it looks
like it was done well. You may want to get a local expert to actually
look the repair over, there are some things you will see in person
that you will not see in a picture. It is "normal" for some frame rot
in this area depending on how the car was stored and taken care of. Be
sure to look over the front frame area too. Rot is common there also
and if you had some work done in the rear it is very likely some was
done in the front (or it needs some work).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_r...> wrote:

> I have been looking at a DeLorean and have noticed that the owner
recently had some extra support pieces welded onto both sides of the
main engine support member.  Is it fairly normal for this support to
weaken over time and require extra bracing?  It looked like the job
was done well and was covered up with a coating to protect the new
metal.  The owner said this was just a precautionary measure and not a
result of the support actually breaking.  I put a few photos of the
area up in the following links...

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:13:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: "DeLorean" documentary on Trio

My friend Casey recorded this for me.  At least I
believe this is the same thing, because it was off of
Trio.  If this is the same special, it is mainly alot
of camera footage of John DeLorean in the boardrooms
and business rooms discussing things and giving out
orders.  It's a rare look at him in action, which I
thought was cool.  Everytime he ordered something be
done, those guys jump to attention; it's funny to see.
 There is a little footage here and there of the cars
in a showroom floor where top executives from all
companies involved with DeLorean are having a party,
and there's a little driving footage here and there.
The majority of it is strictly business meetings and
talks - a little factory footage too.

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:21:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Not trying to hi-jack this thread or digress, but this
brings up something I've been meaning to ask.  For all
you AUTO TRANNY owners, what is your average mpg?
Mine on the road is 14mpg, and on the highway is about
21mpg.

Full tuneup has been done - heck full everything from
the "valley of death" up has been cleaned, rebuilt or
replaced.  The only thing in my fuel system not new is
the cold start valve, and I know it's working.  Air in
tires, air filter, etc, etc - typical AAA stuff done.
Timing is on - everything as far as I know is
copasetic; I like to think of my mpg as being "ideal"
for an auto tranny unless something is seriously off.

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:28:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Where are you? Maybe there is a member near that wouldn't mind helping out.

> Christian_Witt <christian_witt_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> How would someone mess with the 'fuel mixture'? Or emissions
> controls? I do know that before I bought it they were having
> trouble passing smog. A new 'part' was ordered (they didn't tell me
> what part) and eventually a new catalytic converter. It finally
> passed smog. Does that help pinpoint the problem?
>
> I have not checked the 02 sensor, I have a book, so I'll start
> digging on where to find that. (I'm not really a car guy, obviously)
>
> I do not smell any gas fumes, although I've thought I've smelled
> a 'burn' type of smell on occasion.
>
> Will followup with a call if I get really lost :)

[Very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:55:12 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Blue Book Value

I am just curious if anyone knows the current blue book value on
these cars.  Just for fun.  I'm not looking at selling mine, put too
much work into it.  Does it vary from year to year or are they just
about the same.

Mine is an early model '81 if that helps at all.

Japheth

VIN: 1223

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:29:53 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Johnny Carson Car Update Jay -

 I wouldn't say he doesn't care, I met him a year ago in Pasadena CA.
and mentioned Deloreans and he was cool about it even put me in his
show.  I believe he is just into custom cars and hotrods, thats all.

Charlie

www.az-d.org

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:54:38 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <ssawyer37_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: R12A

I've been hearing that R12A is a good replacement for R12.  From
what I understand, is has a lower boiling point, takes less per
pound, is colder, mixes with R12 and is bio-friendly.

I'm in the process of replacing my evap hose, condensor and orifice
tube and was wondering of anyone has any experiences about R12A.

I'm currently setup for and have been running R12 in my DeLorean.

Johnny

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:01:53 -0600
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: DELOREAN ARTICLE IN THE N.Y. TIMES TOMORROW

NOTE : Rob has been trying to post this but for some reason Yahoo is stopping him. Forwarded by request.

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:10:24 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I wouldn't say I do real city driving with stop & go stuff or open
highway either but for a tank of gas on my weekend drives on the
back roads of northern NJ I get a solid 20mph.

Harold McElraft - 3354 (auto)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Enid/Jeremiah

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:31:31 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Nitrous

Has anyone on this list actually used nitrous in their DeLorean?

If so what where the results?

If not why not?

Dē & 6530

BTW how can one search the archives effectively?

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:28:33 -0800
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DMC Delorean Headlight Covers Now 119.99

I will now be assisting with the sale of these new headlight covers on my
web-site.  The vendor making these are able to do it at a lower cost and
without a large pre-order.  So the price of $160.00 as was quoted on my site
for the last few weeks is now at $119.99.  These covers can be ordered for
immediate delivery, this is not a pre-order.

http://www.entermyworld.com/dshop/index.html

Regards,
Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:28:46 -0500
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: Engine Support Questions

Thanks for the reply, I have posted some more pictures of the front frame
extension, seems to me like it is in need of some work.  From the pictures
does it look like it is fixable without taking the body off the car?  Am I
better off buying a new front piece for $1000 and having it welded on?  From
your experience what would a repair like this cost, assuming I can still
salvage the pieces already on the car?

http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732/delorean/DSC00834.JPG
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732/delorean/DSC00835.JPG
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732/delorean/DSC00836.JPG