From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2525
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2005 1:54 PM

1. JZD
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

2. Ebay alloy wheel hoax?
From: "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_monifieth.co.uk>

3. Re: Nitrous
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <AdmiralSenn_at_dml_flbb.net>

4. Car unstable
From: "Stephen Jaeger" <sjaeger_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. Re: Nitrous
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: i need a cheap delorean
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: PRV6 questions: history & namesake?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: Charlotte, NC 3/25 get together
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. John DeLorean Interview Videos
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

10. Re: Re: Blue Book Value
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Used DPNW Door Lock Actuator kit for sale
From: rod rael <rodrael1_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Removing the sacrilage from my Delorean.
From: "deer_hunter1971" <deer_hunter1971_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Re: Blue Book Value
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

14. Re: Car unstable
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

15. An incredible encounter!
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

16. Re: i need a cheap delorean
From: "stretch" <mister_rodger_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Ebay alloy wheel hoax?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

18. Cool Article listed in out Clip Sheet (Ford Intranet Site)
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Car unstable
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Blue Book Value
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. Re: Re: Blue Book Value
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Car unstable
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Ebay alloy wheel hoax?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Re: Ebay alloy wheel hoax?
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

25. RE: R12A
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:26:23 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: JZD

[Moderator Note: Today the DML has been FLOODED with many rumors about the condition of John DeLorean.  As we have had two reports from people who are in a position to know, I have rejected the rumors.  Please do not post rumors about something so personal as life and death, and have confidence that substantiated news will come through as soon as it is available.  - Mike Substelny, DML Moderator of the week]

I have heard JZD had a stroke yesterday. Is this true?

This is what i just read....

http://www.entermyworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1002

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:34:26 +0000
From: "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_monifieth.co.uk>
Subject: Ebay alloy wheel hoax?

This sale has been posted on ebay.co.uk & claims to be an early prototype
wheel being sold for his "friend" who used to work for Lotus! Get your
cheque books out people. Quote "Very rare opportunity to acquire a piece of
motoring history". :-0

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=418&item=6518919114&rd=1

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:52:43 -0000
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <AdmiralSenn_at_dml_flbb.net>
Subject: Re: Nitrous

I know that a semi-local owner had a Nitrous Oxide Systems (the real
NOS company) installed on his D. If I can get in contact with him,
I'll post some info. I don't think he's on the list... or any list.

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:16:56 -0700
From: "Stephen Jaeger" <sjaeger_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Car unstable

When I first purchased my car it would swerve back and forth while driving. I fixed that problem with a new set of tires. Just recently it started doing the same thing except now it only does it when I accelerate. The tires are still like new and I checked the pressure which was OK. Any ideas on what would cause this. Again its just during acceleration.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:23:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

A long time ago Gene Tufaro from Staten Island, NY was trying to get
more power in his Delorean. He tried turbos and nitrous. Last I heard
he gave up on the nitrous, he wasn't having good results with it. Gene
is also the person that long ago was selling the tiny Delorean charms
made out of gold or silver. I haven't been in contact with him in a
few years so I don't know what he is doing now. He had 2 Deloreans,
one a 5-speed and 1 an automatic. He was into racing with the Delorean
and drove the car hard. Anyway, in his opinion, nitrous was not the
way to go. Nitrous is not for sustained, continuos use where a turbo
is. Nitrous is mainly for short shots for increased acceleration and
gets expensive if you hit it all the time. Nitrous is only popular
because it is cheaper to install than turbos but it is a lot more
expensive to use.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:38:47 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: i need a cheap delorean

Hey stretch,

Welcome! There are a few cheap cars on the DMCNews website. I can't
remember the address, I get to it throu my favorites list on my
computer.There is one for $7500. Check ebay every week and there is a
red one up in Washington state for..I can't remember but I think it
is under $10K.

I know how you feel. I just bought my first one about six weeks ago
from a man by the name of Mike Clemens. It was $9K and I have a blast
working on it when the money is there. It was on ebay and was up in
Stillwater OK, for anyone that is interested in what happened to that
car.

Good luck on your search!! It's the best thing that ever happened to
me.

Josh
10989

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:22:32 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: PRV6 questions: history & namesake?

Spend a couple of hours wandering around this website and its links.
Should answer many of your questions:
http://members.fortunecity.com/perttim/therenault30file/id20.html

PRV was not at all common on this side of the ocean (at least not
before Chysler's 3.0 import of the B280),  but nearly a million units
made their way around Europe over a quarter century production run.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:25:26 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Charlotte, NC 3/25 get together

Yahoo truncates your eMail address for people who read the List via
the website: louie(at)delorean.com.

What are we going to do when Yahoo wises up to the (at) circumvention?

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 04:28:22 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: John DeLorean Interview Videos

Back about 4 years ago when JZD was trying to generate interest and
funding to initiate a new car project, there was a functioning
website (www.deloreantime.com) that had video snipits of him talking
about his new car project.  Does anyone in this forum have downloads
of those videos that they might be willing to add to the Files area?

Also, the setting and format of the Q and A that was depicted in the
videos made it seem as though there was much more content that wasn't
being shown than was.  Does anyone know if that was a "real"
interview or if it was staged to appear like a real interview.  If it
was real, is the video in its entirety available from anyone?  Does
anyone know the source?

Thank you,
Ben Ferguson
Arizona DeLorean Club, Car Cruise Director - VIN 10365
captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:01:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Blue Book Value

Only for people who know nothing about DeLoreans.

<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:55:01 -0800 (PST)
From: rod rael <rodrael1_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Used DPNW Door Lock Actuator kit for sale

Do you still have kit?   and if so, how does it lighten doors?   also is it a lock unlock remote or please describe a little..

thanks,

rodney
3300

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:35:04 -0000
From: "deer_hunter1971" <deer_hunter1971_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Removing the sacrilage from my Delorean.

Brandon,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. There are several grits of
sandpaper wheels sold, it will all depend on how grainy or shiny you
want your car. Buy a few different grits, and some stainless steel
faceplates (to practice on), choose the one that you want, or find a
D that is basically un-restored (to match your faceplates to). I'd
rather screw up a few faceplates, than the finish on the car.

I understand how your Dad is about the garage floor, and it's too bad
you don't have a lot of room to move around in. It's a good thing
that the paint is coming off so easily, had it been painted
correctly, you'd be in for a real workout, and many frustrating
nights.

Hope the progress is going well.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:01:28 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Which is most of the world.  Like it or not, the
car collector hobby likes to have benchmarks to
measure against.  Rather than whining about it
all the time, why don't you help improve the
judges manual?

-------------- Original message from Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:09:30 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Car unstable

Alignment, ball joints, bushings, shocks - basically
anything in the front end that determines suspension
geometry.  Check the rear end, too.  The rear can
steer the car under thrust if the rear toe changes.

-------------- Original message from "Stephen Jaeger" <sjaeger_at_dml_comcast.net>: --------------

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:49:35 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: An incredible encounter!

[Subject line changed by moderator Mike Substelny]

Okay...I was sitting in a bar called the Blind Lemon in Cincinnati
tonight, and overheard the word "DeLorean".  I figured, as usual, that
someone had seen my car outside, and was talking about it, until I
remembered that I was parked in a hidden lot nearby.  I turned around
and slowly realized that I was looking at Zach DeLorean...John's son!!

I knew he lived in Cincinnati, but what are the unbelievable chances of
running into him for the first time on today of all days!?

Anyway...we talked for a little bit, and I told him how much the
community was pulling together for his Dad.  He told me he appreciated
our thoughts and prayers, and that it had been a really tough day for
him.  After we closed the place down, we walked outside and I showed him
my car.  We exchanged numbers...and told him about Erik Geerdink's frame
restoration project going on at Ken's building this weekend.  He's going
to try and make it up to check it out!

I'll keep everyone posted,
Josh

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:25:01 -0000
From: "stretch" <mister_rodger_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks for the input, guys.  I have 2 cars that are 40+ years old, so
I know exactly what you mean about old parts.  I know all the basic
stuff, like engine maintenance, wiring, and minor suspension repair,
so I'm not worried about that.  I think if I get into one, and it
turns out to be too much of a hassle, I could always turn it over.

Josh- I didn't see that 7500 car on DMCNews, the 'cheapest' thing
there right now is a car without an engine - 5000.  That is, unless
you count the [gasp] totalled Delorean.  The cheap-o car ad said there
is a broken door/roof strut.  what's a strut?

If the 5000 dollar car is a good deal, the question is, where could I
get an engine, and how much would it cost?  Does it matter what kind
of engine I put in there, or are there compatible motors that would
work for the time being?  Right now I have a spare 283 chevy small
block, will that fit?

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:41:55 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Ebay alloy wheel hoax?

I'm actually a little more inclined to believe this. If you've seen the
crash test footage, the cars have 4 spoke wheels, as they did in some of
the factory shots of the "black" cars used for training. I also know
that Lotus did indeed have a big clear out not long ago and a large
number of parts were either thrown out or taken home by staff, and a few
DeLorean parts were still there.

Martin

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:07:44 -0000
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cool Article listed in out Clip Sheet (Ford Intranet Site)

Here's a cool article that was listed on our (Ford Intranet)
yesterday. Very interesting........

Kirk 02378

Putting a Car of the Future Back on the Road
New York Times 03/18/05
by STeven Kurutz
c. 2003 New York Times Company

----------

In the dim half-light of a Long Island garage, a handful of DeLoreans
stand in darkened corners or suspended on hydraulic lifts, their
trademark gull-wing doors ajar, their stainless-steel silver shells
still ultramodern more than two decades after the DeLorean Motor
Company went bust. Visible through a dusty window in the parking lot
outside, perhaps 20 more DeLoreans, lined up and identical, sit
waiting, like some surreal automotive dream.

This is P. J. Grady's, a modest gray automotive garage tucked behind
a used-car lot in West Sayville, N.Y. As the sign on its roof -
DeLorean Motor Cars - indicates, the shop specializes in the repair
and restoration of DeLoreans, the famous and doomed early-1980's
sports car created by John Z. DeLorean and featured in the Back to
the Future movies.

It is estimated that around 9,200 DeLoreans were built in the car's
three years of production, 1981 through 1983, and that about 7,000
are left. Of those, a good number have passed through the hands of
Rob Grady, P. J. Grady's tall, thin, intensely focused owner, who has
spent the past 20 years as one of the foremost of the world's few
DeLorean experts. DeLorean owners from Maine to Florida send him
their cars, and in a small garage that was once part of his family's
General Motors dealership, Mr. Grady fixes engines, locates obscure
parts, fabricates what he can't find and restores long-neglected
DeLoreans so they can turn heads once more.

For many years, P. J. Grady's was about as profitable as an Edsel
dealership, but that has changed. The teenagers who saw Back to the
Future 20 years ago and were fascinated by the film's time-traveling
DeLorean are now grown and seeking out the low-sweeping coupe. At the
same time, the car is approaching its 25th birthday, a benchmark in
the collector market. Where once values hovered around $17,000, a
restored DeLorean now runs close to $30,000.

In the last five or six years the values have gone way up, said James
Espey, vice president of the DeLorean Motor Company in Houston, which
bought the rights to the DeLorean brand and sells restored models.
The car is coming into its own.

It was long believed that DeLorean parts could not be found, so many
cars were garaged, but Mr. Espey's firm bought the entire DMC parts
inventory - everything from body panels to nuts, bolts and washers.
Mr. Espey estimates that the company has enough gull-wing doors to
last 120 years at the current rate of use, and enough interior carpet
to cover a football field twice over. This month, the company opened
a second branch near Tampa, Fla. And two shops near Los Angeles,
DeLorean Motor Center and DeLorean One, serve the West Coast as P. J.
Grady's serves the East.

Of the handful of DeLorean specialists, P. J. Grady's is the oldest,
going back to 1979, when Mr. Grady became one of the original
DeLorean dealers. For the sum of $25,000 he received the right to
sell the line's one and only model, the DMC-12, and a poster of the
car autographed by Mr. DeLorean, which still decorates his office,
where Mr. Grady was joined on a recent afternoon by his wife, Debby,
who handles the phone, and a DeLorean enthusiast named Mike Deluca.

Like many dealers, Mr. Grady signed up based on the reputation of Mr.
DeLorean, who had been an engineering and marketing star at G.M. - in
the early 1960's he created the Pontiac GTO, which many consider the
first muscle car - and left at the height of his career to challenge
the Big Three automakers. But from the start, his company was
besieged with problems, starting with too little money to work with
and the fact that the car, priced at $25,000, made its debut in 1981
in one of the worst economies in recent memory. The cars were never
hot sellers, Mr. Grady said.

Topping it off was Mr. DeLorean's very public arrest in 1982 for
conspiracy to distribute cocaine, still a sore spot with DeLorean
enthusiasts. (Mr. DeLorean was eventually acquitted; the prevailing
sentiment among owners is that he was framed.) When the company filed
for bankruptcy protection that year, Mr. Grady continued to honor his
customers' service warranties. Over time, he found himself doing more
and more repair work on DeLoreans, until that was all he did.

Not surprisingly, he has developed an affection for the car, though
it is a cool, dispassionate one, tempered by years of daily
involvement. It's a good car, he said simply.

Mr. Deluca, hovering nearby, said: Rob is being modest. He's
completely dedicated. I was driving by once and it was Easter Sunday.
It was freezing. Rob was out in the parking lot testing temperature
sensors.

IN a far corner of the garage, the P. J. Grady's mechanic, Pat
Tomasetti, stood in blue coveralls beneath a DeLorean on a hydraulic
lift, draining oil and listening to NPR. Mr. Tomasetti has been
repairing and restoring DeLoreans at P. J. Grady's for 13 years and
is accustomed to overenthusiastic fans of the car. He laughed as he
recalled the time a Japanese man showed up with his family, saying he
had flown to America to visit Disney World and P. J. Grady's.

The DeLorean Mr. Tomasetti was working on had come in from
Pennsylvania and was set to have its front fender replaced, among
other repairs. Another DeLorean, its door crunched like a soda can,
was in need of extensive body work. Outside, dozens more waited, a
daunting workload for two men.

I'd like another mechanic, but it's hard keeping them, Mr. Grady
said. Most guys don't like doing restoration work. It's dirty, and
there's also the repetition.

People who spend time around garages tend to acquire a detailed know-
how of car design and mechanics, but DeLorean experts take
specialization to a refined level. Because of its unpainted stainless-
steel body, the DMC-12 was available in only one color, silver. Its
interior was black leather or gray leather, nothing else, and the car
changed little over its brief production run.

So while the Corvette aficionado has a half-century of paint schemes,
body types and fancy options to ponder, the DeLorean lover must be
content with trivial changes - the radio antenna on the '81 models is
in the windshield, for example, while on the '82 it is on the left
rear quarter.

Pointing to a model whose license plate read BK2DFUTR, Mr. Grady
proceeded to make the indistinguishable cars distinguishable. We just
got this one out of mothballs, he said. It sat for four years. The
owner decided to sell it. It only has 11,000 miles.

He continued: That one over there was in a wreck. Needs a new door.
Then he walked over to a car covered in a soft blanket of dust. The
passenger window was stuck halfway down, and the seat was given over
to orphaned parts. Mr. Grady's pupils widened, as if he were laying
eyes on a DeLorean for the very first time. This is the 530, he said
reverently. It's a Legend prototype, Twin Turbo. They only made three
of these.

The 530 is going to be restored as his own DeLorean, Mr. Grady said,
just as soon as he finds the time. Sometimes you get a little burned
out, he mused, reflecting on the vagaries of being a DeLorean expert.
Then something rejuvenates you.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:57:24 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Try checking the trailing arm bolts this is a very critical area for these
cars...Dave...vin..15275

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Jaeger" <sjaeger_at_dml_c...> wrote:> When I first purchased my car it would swerve back and forth while driving. I

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:01:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Blue Book Value

If you know nothing about a particular car you will start your
research in some kind of reference book. Like it or not, many will
start with something like NADA or Blue Book. Kind of like an
encyclapedia, someplace to start. I also like to start with Hemmings
Motor News. There are also a lot of auction guides and listings with
recent sales. Just about all of the car Marques hold some kind of
judging. This is just the "way-of-the-world". Many people enjoy
competition and a concours is just that. It is a comparision of the
best-of-the-best. Anything less is worth less. Not everyone competes
but it DOES affect ALL of the cars of that type, like it or not.
Insurance companies live and die by values of cars. They like Blue
Book and things like it because it makes their lives simpler and in
many cases the values of older cars is lower in them so they save
money. Another reason to have "Agreed upon Value" in your insurance
policy. You are exactly right though, these things are for people who
know nothing about Deloreans (or any other car for that matter).
Unfortunatly it is a huge majority of people. When I go to car shows I
hear a lot of misinformation. I try to correct and educate as much as
I can. When most people see a Delorean up close they are suitably
impressed and ready to hear the "corrected" version of history.

--------------

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:03:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have made many suggestions in the past, and they
have been ignored..  Which is not a big deal.

My issue is not with having a competition of cars to
say which one is "the perfect example of how a car
left the factory".  The problem is that because a
given car may win this competition does *NOT* make it
the "best of the best" as so many people claim.

Take a concours winner, put some decent tires on it,
fix all of the electrical problems, replace all of the
20+ year old parts that deteriorate from age, maybe
even put some of the suspension and performance
improvements that have been developed over the years,
even one of those stainless steel frames, then MAYBE
you will have the "best".

The only reason someone buying a DeLorean would care
if it has a "Delco" battery instead of an Optima would
be if they want to win a trophy... And make sure you
have your clock set right, because this important
detail can make your car loose the competition and NOT
be "the best of the best".

A otherwise perfect car that has not won the Concours
is worth less than an identical one that has....
simply because some self-appointed authority said so.
IMHO, the entire concept of that is unfair, and
flawed.

There is no way I am going to change it Mike, there is
money and ego at stake and the people who are served
by this competition will never want to give it up....
So all I can do is "whine" about it, and maybe a few
lurkers on the list will say to themselves "Yea, that
guy may be annoying, but he is right!".

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:14:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

It sounds like not only may you have to adjust or correct something in
front but it is very likely the rear will also need alignment. If the
rear is not exactly straight behind the front wheels it will try to
push the car into one direction or the other and will be much worse if
you try to accelerate in a turn. It is called the "Thrust Angle" and
MUST point straight ahead. Any good alignment shop with a modern 4
wheel machine can do this. Take the alignment specs with you. If the
shop doesn't have it in it's machine's database they can manually add
it. Check the air pressure in your tires, that can also cause all
kinds of weird handling problems. Play or looseness in the steering is
also bad. A Delorean's steering is very tight, ANY play is cause for
concern. The steering wheel should be straight ahead when driving
straight. If it is not it is a sign that the front toe is probably not
right. If there is any lead or pull when braking you may have a stuck
caliper, not an alignment problem. On a smooth, flat road with your
hands off the wheel and at a steady speed the car should want to go
straight, not wander off to one side or the other.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:39:16 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Apparently It's an early Esprit wheel, as used on the early
pre-production DeLoreans (training and crash-test cars)

Martin

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:43:54 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

This is probably true, look at the photo on the top roght of page 74
in SSI. Looks like the same type of wheel. Not sure that it's actually
"motoring history", however.

James

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:43:22 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: R12A

How is this different from "Freeze 12"? (a Johnsen product)    I understand
this, too, is compatible with R-12, and I paid $3/can for them.    Stay
cool.      Drive Stainless     Robert   VIN 6924

From: "thebrave65" <ssawyer37_at_dml_cox.net>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] R12A
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:54:38 -0000

I've been hearing that R12A is a good replacement for R12.  From
what I understand, is has a lower boiling point, takes less per
pound, is colder, mixes with R12 and is bio-friendly.