From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2526
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2005 7:02 PM

From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: Re: Blue Book Value
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Blue Book Value
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Concours- was Blue Book Value
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: Re: Blue Book Value
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Used DPNW Door Lock Actuator kit for sale
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

17. AC Compressor hoses again
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: i need a cheap delorean
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

19. John Z DeLorean Update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:21:54 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>
Subject: Re: Blue Book Value

This has been an interesting debate that I have seen come up from
time to time and I guess I now have formed my own opinion. I have to
agree with Marc that the concourse competition, in my view, does not
reflect the value of our cars. I would pay much more money for a D
that has been upgraded, better shocks, springs, electrical, even a
turbo :) than one that is exactly the way it came out of the
factory. Why, because to me that would make it much more fun to
drive and own. But that's just me.

However, I do think that the concourse competion is neat and fun and
to some people winning it is a goal worth achieving and it is a
great achievement considering how perfect they have to be. Video Bob
should idolize these owners :)

So I am not sure if Marc has an issue with the competition itself or
that it is being used to put a "value" on our cars.

Max

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:33:42 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Blue Book Value

My feelings regarding what's important to me in a DeLorean are the same as
yours Marc. I'm not a concours type what so ever. All the same, I do feel it
is important for any marque to have some standard form of judgment. It's
just logical to use originality, as in a show room authentic vehicle, as the
mark for making that judgment. You can't come up with a standard if you're
judging dogs from several different towns even if they are pretty dogs.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:45:19 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

You may have a nice car after all of those modifications,
but it is not a "DeLorean".

The collector car market appreciates originality above
all else.  This is why original Shelby Cobras are worth
more than continuation Cobras, why Mustangs restored
with documented New Old Stock parts (with correct
date codes no less) are worth more than cars that
have been resto-modded (restored with modifications
like modern drive trains, updated electricals, etc.), and
why Corvettes restored to NCRS standards (wavy
body panels, "correct" overspray, numbers matching
engines included) are worth more than overrestored
cars.  Pick any marque, from brass era to golden age,
prewar, postwar, sports cars or racing cars, documented
originality is the standard.  To make a DeLorean that
you describe worth more than an original car will take
much more effort than just changing the DeLorean
Concours judges manual.

> A otherwise perfect car that has not won the Concours
> is worth less than an identical one that has....
> simply because some self-appointed authority said so.
> IMHO, the entire concept of that is unfair, and
> flawed.

That is exactly the way the rest of the world works.
And the people who have the big money to buy
collectable cars want it that way so they have an
objective measure of what they are buying.

-------------- Original message from Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:47:34 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I don't expect cars to be factory mint, or all original.
I just hate moldy blackened dashes, that are cracked like a spider web,
and seats that have the foam showing through, stuff like that.
There are owners out there who are driving cars like that around and have no
intentions of making repairs... that was my pet peeve.
This opinion has been blown way out of proportion.
- VB

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:07:05 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

You are right Marc. You are not annoying, you just speak up where
others on this list are silent and dont have the guts to really say
what they want to.

What about all of the mint concourse cars where the owners do not show
them, are these not worth as much just because they never won a trophy
even though they might be in better shape than a car with a trophy and
documents showing it won a ribbon?

I dont feel the concourse judging should set any value on the cars, i
agree with Marc.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:58:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Like many others, I am not a great fan of concours.
Now, it's not that I don't think such competitions are
fun to take in, they are just not my cup of tea.
Given enough money, one could take a brand new car off
the show room floor, shrink wrap it, enter it into a
concours at a later point in time, and, from what I've
seen, that person would only stand a 50/50 chance of
winning.  Does that make sense?

Let's keep in mind that the term concours d'elegance
is French, meaning "contests of elegance".  For the
great part they were "events" for the rich to show off
their cars, their clothes and their wives/mistresses.

Or (here comes the bookstore owner in me) the
dictionary says elegance:
1. a.Refinement, grace, beauty in movement,
appearance, or manners.
   b.Tasteful opulence in form, decoration, or
presentation
2. a. Restraint and grace of style
   b. Scientific exactness and precision
3. Something elegant

I guess that if we use meaning 2, b. we now have what
passes for a concours in the DeLorean community.  And,
perhpas that is why it is referreed to a Millenium
Concours and not a Concours D'Elegance.

If I had the money to have a car that is seldom if
ever driven I suppose my feelings MIGHT be different,
but I doubt it.  My DeLorean was meant to be driven.
It is a wonderful car to drive.  And, I do not
personally believe that its value to me or anyone else
is based upon scientific exactness and precision of
some other DeLorean.  I WOULD, however, bow to any
more elegant DeLorean.

Wow, what a rant.  And to think that I have once again
agreed with Marc in public!

Dick Ryan

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:21:05 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

That may be true but how many of the cars you mentioned get driven
daily? We all know that the DeLorean is not a collector car but a
car that people love to drive. If it was a "collector" car I
probably wouldn't own one or afford one.

Max
4819

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:09:27 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: R12A

It is a can of PROPANE, nothing more. Freeze-12 is propane, it will
work great on your Bar-B-Que but not safe in your A/C system.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:23:19 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

Didn't mean to offend you, just a light hearted dig. Actually I am
on your side. If you own a DeLorean you should make an "effort" to
make it as presentable as possible. I'm still working on mine...

Max

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:16:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Whoa!!!!

My twin turbo equipped DeLorean IS a DeLorean.  Such
nonsense.  Now, it may not be of the caliber that is
desired by a Museum or a certain strata of collectors,
but it is a DeLorean, never-the-less.  Eight year old
kids know it.  Local car shows (you know, the average
gear head type shows) know it.  Even DeLorean car
shows know it. Parking lot attendants know it. Etc.,
etc., etc.  It has won awards - admittedly "peoples
choice", but awards, just the same.  And the awards
call it a DeLorean.  A "DeLorean" (with quotes) is not
different than a DeLorean without quotes.

This discussion is about the impact upon the actual
resaleable value (Blue Book or NADA) of the car, and
not upon the definition of an extremely rich or
snobish car collector.

At some concours you find the winner has built the car
from the ground up, fabricating (admittedly exactly
and with precision) any parts not otherwise available.
 In the end the collector had invested many many times
the "value" of the car in any sense of the word just
so as to win the award.   There is NO relation between
such a car and the value of other such cars.

I guess you can see that this is a hot button for
people other than Marc.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:29:03 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

It's probably not.

There are allot of *replacement* refridgerants on the market. But
many not not acceptable by the EPA for use in automobiles. But are
available for sale thru loopholes.

You *alternative* refridgerants fall into 3 basic catergories:
1. Blend of non-automotive approved refridgerants.
2. Use illegal Hydro-Carbon blends. Ie. Propane, butane, etc.
3. Straight lie, and contact R-12.

When it comes to HVAC restoration or retrofitting, the EPA's website
is always a great place to start.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/macssubs.html

Now, here is something vital to know about the main difference
between R-12 & R-134a. The R-134a molecules are ALLOT smaller than
the R-12 ones. So, the old hoses on your system are not the best idea
for them, because just like a rubber balloon slowly deflates as the
pressurized gas inside leaks out the membrane of the balloon, so will
R-134a leak out of your old rubber R-12 hoses.

Your modern A/C systems utilize Barrier Hoses, rather than just the
traditional rubber ones. Barrier hoses has a neoprene tube inside the
rubber, so that the R-134a cannot bleed out.

Now, something to keep in mind here is that non-automotive
refridgerants, such as R-22 are used as a part of the blend for many
R-12 alternatives, such as "Freeze-12". Per EPA guidelines, R-22 has
simular properties to R-134a, and must be used in conjunction with
barrier hoses. Otherwise, if you just inject Freeze-12 or simular
refridgerants into your stock R-12 system, you need to realize that
WILL LEAK OUT eventually, and you A/C will fail once again. Where as
R-12 will last many years more.

So when dealing with R-12 A/C systems on automobiles, you really only
have two choices to insure long-term reliability:
1. Repair the defects, and restore the system back to R-12
2. Retrofit the entire system, and use R-134a.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

> How is this different from "Freeze 12"? (a Johnsen product)    I
understand
> this, too, is compatible with R-12, and I paid $3/can for them.
Stay

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:38:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You and everyone else who reads this list should know
that just because it is the "way-of-the-world" does
not mean I wont find fault with it!

:)

Just because it is the way things have always been
done does not mean I have to agree with it.

<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:33:57 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Very well said Marc, I agree with you. I could never win the Concours
because of a lowered suspension and my Zillas, but why would I want to
change them??? Other than that my delorean is flawless....but not to
the judges....
Harry Vin #2696

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:06:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Concours- was Blue Book Value

I agree that the Concours is not for everybody but the lucky few who
work very hard and spend a lot on their car AND WIN will have a lot to
show for it. In effect it is an appraisel on the car and can mean a
lot of $$$. For all the rest it is the benchmark against which all
other Deloreans are measured. It may not be quite the way you would do
it, but if you have a problem with the rules it is best brought up on
the list devoted to the concours. The concours is improved by
everyone's participation so if you don't contribute don't complain.
There is a modified class, perhaps you might want to compete there.
Then you can build the Delorean that you think is best and see what
others think.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:59:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yup, because as Dave said "it is the way of the
world"..  That does not make it right.

For the same reason a Diamond has value, simply
because a diamond with specific specifications has a
value set by the market...  But why??  Because some
"authority" says so!  For no other reason would
someone be willing to pay thousands of dollars for a
otherwise worthless rock.

Does anyone have a windshield with an antenna??
Because if I ever want to sell 1860 I will probably
take a big hit on the price because it has a power
antenna in the rear quarter... Bah, I might as well
part the car out.  Josh?  You want it?

:)

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:24:27 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Used DPNW Door Lock Actuator kit for sale

Rodney, & for others who may be interested:

This is a door lock actuator kit sold by DeLorean Parts Northwest
(Toby & Misty Peterson, www.delorean-parts.com). It replaces the heavy
lock solenoids with lightweight actuators. This significantly reduces
power draw on your lock system, and also takes a good deal of weight
off of your doors. In fact, you may have to adjust your torsion bars
after installation to lower the pressure (this is a good thing;
reduces wear and tear on the torsion bars).

This is not a remote locking system. It's simply a nice upgrade for
your door locks. If your lock solenoids are burned out or have other
problems, this kit will fix that (assuming your door lock module
works). I personally have this installed on my car and consider it one
of the best DeLorean upgrades ever. It's $99 new from Toby here:
http://delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?S
creen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K2500DP&Category_Code=9401

Patrick's price of $50 for a gently used system is a steal and I'd
highly recommend it to anyone on the fence about this.

BTW, if you want a remote door locking system, check out Toby's stuff
here:
http://delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?S
creen=CTGY&Category_Code=9401

-Ryan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, rod rael <rodrael1_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Do you still have kit?   and if so, how does it lighten doors?
also is it a lock unlock remote or please describe a little..

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:33:14 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: AC Compressor hoses again

Group,
You can now do the AC Compressor hoses by yourself with no special
tools. After working all day Friday I have re-done the hoses so you
or the mechanic can change them out without any special tools and no
separating the frame from the body. It was so simple after we fought
the traditional way all day.  I said there has to be another way.
Well, Now there is. They will now pull through with ease.
I will also stock them with the complete long hose. I will also
stock them with R12 fitting and add the fitting for R134A if needed.
I also added some length so you can place them futher away from the
hot cross over pipe.  I put 2 images below the big hose images so
you can see what I did.  Take a look
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/AC-Cooling.html

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:35:22 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: i need a cheap delorean

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stretch" <mister_rodger_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> Thanks for the input, guys.  I have 2 cars that are 40+ years old, so
> I know exactly what you mean about old parts.  I know all the basic
> stuff, like engine maintenance, wiring, and minor suspension repair,
> so I'm not worried about that.  I think if I get into one, and it
> turns out to be too much of a hassle, I could always turn it over.

Then, so long as you can afford the parts, and you already said you
have the time, you will be fine.

> Josh- I didn't see that 7500 car on DMCNews, the 'cheapest' thing
> there right now is a car without an engine - 5000.  That is, unless
> you count the [gasp] totalled Delorean.  The cheap-o car ad said there
> is a broken door/roof strut.  what's a strut?

They could be talking about the gas strut that assists the door
lifting (cheap to replace), or they could be talking about the torsion
bar ($1000+ IF you can find one). Hopefully the former?

FYI, check any cheap DeLorean you buy over with a fine toothed comb.
The frames can and do rust. If you have significant frame rust, you're
looking at a major restoration and an awful lot of money to fix.
Several owners have found this out the hard way.

> If the 5000 dollar car is a good deal, the question is, where could I
> get an engine, and how much would it cost?  Does it matter what kind
> of engine I put in there, or are there compatible motors that would
> work for the time being?  Right now I have a spare 283 chevy small
> block, will that fit?

My suggestion: If you buy a car without an engine, don't try to put a
PRV (stock) engine back in there. It's more trouble than it's worth.
If you just want the car to drive and enjoy, then swap something else
in it's place... something big. I don't know if the 283 will fit or
not, but engine swaps can and have been done on these cars. Ask around
here and on the DMCForum (also a Yahoo group), someone will have more
info on this.

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:25:26 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: John Z DeLorean Update

I recieved a call this morning from Charles DeLorean, Johns brother.

He verified what we had already known that John had the stroke and the
prospect did not look good.  He reiterated what Kathyn had stated that he has lasted
longer than anyone has expected.  No one at this point has any idea of how
long he has left with us it is now up to John.

John has been moved to a room where he is resting comfortably and will remain
there until and I will leave it at that.

John has been an inspiration to all of us and a motivator for us to keep our
Dream alive.

He kept his dream alive and now it is our turn to keep it going.

The family has been very gracious in including us in there chain of contacts
in keeping us informed on his condition.  It is unlikely I will get any more
information until things change.

Keep John in your prayers