From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2529
Date: Monday, March 21, 2005 10:02 AM

1. Re: Car Developer John DeLorean Dies at 80
From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>

2. Re: Please read
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: public visitation for JZD...
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Nice New York Times Article
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

5. John Z DeLoreans at Wake
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. articles about JZD
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

7. John De Lorean passing
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. RE: JZD
From: "Ralph Isenberg, III" <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. John Delorean
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. A sad day.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

11. JZD Passing...
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Local NJ paper covers loss of JZD - Statements for local DMC owners
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

13. Re: Car Developer John DeLorean Dies at 80
From: "glenhuang2004" <glenhuang2004_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: DMC towing
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

15. Re: DMC towing
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: Freeze 12
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Re: Re: Blue Book Value
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Ebay alloy wheel hoax?
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

19. NOS appearing everywhere... I could laugh myself silly....
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

20. Re: DMC towing
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

21. Re: DMC towing
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

22. RE: DMC towing
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Paul Harvey
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Concours
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Concours- was Blue Book Value
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:14:48 -0000
From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Car Developer John DeLorean Dies at 80

Thank you for making my automotive dream come true, John. Rest in peace.

Ryan McCaffrey
#10014 - forever
NCDMC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

> Mar 20, 1:59 PM EST
>
> Car Developer John DeLorean Dies at 80
> By JEFFREY GOLD
> Associated Press Writer
>

> NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- John Z. DeLorean, the innovative automaker who
left a
> promising career in Detroit to develop the short-lived gull-winged
sports
> cars featured as a souped-up time travel machine in the "Back to the
Future"

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:36:19 EST
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Please read

I will be driving my DeLorean to Detroit on Wed and anyone who would like  to
meet up with me is welcome to do so and drive whatever you would like. I know
 the Detroit area well and I know exactly where Woodward Ave between 13 and
14 mile rd is located.  Please contact me off list if  interested.

Chuck Darling
Sandusky, Ohio
_Beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com_ (mailto:Beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com)

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:16:27 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: public visitation for JZD...

If people do choose to attend, please remember that this is NOT a
cruise in.  If you bring your D, please be tasteful and dress nicely.
 This isn't a car show, and I think the last thing the family would
want is for Delorean owners to drive around with the doors up, dressed
in t-shirts, honking their horns in a parade like fashion.  I am sure
that the media/press may very well be there, and this is our chance to
show the class that DeLorean owners have, and the impact that JZD had
on the world and all of our lives by producing our beautiful cars.

Patrick C.
1880

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:53:40 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Nice New York Times Article

If you go to www.nyt.com and make a free membership, they have a great
article on JZD, with quotes from James Epsey.  They also have a
memorial slideshow to JZD that that the article links to as well.
Definitely worth looking at.

Patrick

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:21:03 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: John Z DeLoreans at Wake

I just spoke to Mark DeLorean this morning and he has made the following
request from the DeLorean Family to the DeLorean Owners.

The DeLorean Family requests the DeLorean owners to pay their last respects
to John Z. DeLorean in Royal Oak, MI at A. J Desmond and Sons (Vasu, Rogers  &
Connell Chapel)

YOUR CARS ARE REQUESTED

In a conversation this morning the family has requested that anyone that
wishes to bring their Delorean to please do so as Mark, Sally and Kathryn will
appreciate your show of support.

For further information go to Tamirs site.

Parking will be in front of the building and in the parking area  adjoining.

The DeLorean Family has been very special to me over the years  and John will
be missed by all.

This is time to pay tribute to John for all he has done for us.  I am  sure
all of your lives have been touched by him and his dream will live on in  the
DeLorean Automobile and his wonderful family.

(Mark will you pass this on to Sally thank you)

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:19:28 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: articles about JZD

Group,

I was in the Minneapolis airport with my Dad picking up my Mom and sister
this afternoon when I heard the word 'DeLorean' said behind me.  I turned around
and saw CNN headline news reporting the sad turn of events.

I am attempting to compile a collection of internet and print news articles
about John DeLorean and his too-early passing away.  It's nothing fancy, I just
would like to have all of this stuff with my own private collection.  Many of
you have posted internet articles in the recent hours, and I and probably
many others would appreciate it if new articles that are found are also posted to
the list.  In the coming weeks surely there will be magazine articles
profiling the man and his legacy.  As these are found, I would like to encourage
everyone to post information on these as well, so that those of us who have to
collect every snippet there is can see it too.

Thanks in advance,

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:25:57 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: John De Lorean passing

Group,
In the 30+ years of the De Lorean world, I bought my first car in
97. I soon got the books and started reading about the man and his
world. As I was reading his biography I found myself feeling his
passion of wanting to build something from the ground up, fighting
to keep it alive and achieving what some said couldn't be done.
I think the reason I felt what he was feeling was because I always
wanted to start my own company and be my own boss good or bad. I did
that back in 92 with my book distribution company and closed it 10
years later with the satisfaction of doing it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm sure like anyone else we would
just like to live forever or just pass in your sleep, but there is a
certain level of contentment in doing what ever you want to achieve
and once reached no one can ever take it away from you like John did
and you are at peace with yourself.
With that, I commend John for building the company and what he
wanted to do and what he had to go through with the satisfaction of
doing it.
I'll miss the man I never had the chance to meet in person but I
feel I knew him in another way by what he did. He will be in my
heart and I will continue to do my best to work for the De Lorean
community.

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:45:07 -0500
From: "Ralph Isenberg, III" <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: JZD

Sad news indeed. I had a chance to live the dream for a few years, and still
love the cars. JZD will indeed live forever as long as people continue to
love and drive his creations.
Rest in peace, Mr. DeLorean.

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:16:36 -0000
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: John Delorean

How ironic! I pulled the car out of the garage today and worked it on
for hours. Afterward I drove the car for about an hour and enjoyed
ever minute of it.

10:00PM news had the story and my mouth dropped. I called a few
friends but none of them really understood.

The Delorean has been in my family since 1981 and has a lot of
history with me.

We will keep the dream alive.

Kirk 02378

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 04:21:52 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: A sad day.

To say that I've been saddened by the news would be an understatement.
Even though we know that the inevitable is to come, it never lessens
the blow.

For the first time since Early October, I drove my car to work early
this morning. And the ride home was very somber to say the least. I
can honestly say, it was the only time I ever got behind the wheel of
my car, and didn't smile in the 5 years that I've owned it. In fact,
this is the anniversary of when I actually bought the car, and the
money traded hands. The day after I made the decision to take the plunge.

I know someone lost a husband, some lost a father, a brother, an
uncle, a nephew, and many more lost a good friend. Today, I lost a
personal hero. Someone that I admired, I looked up to, and tried to
emulate, when I wanted to acheive personal success in my life. And in
fact, many times did acheive what I wanted. And someone whom I will
continue pattern my actions after. Because no matter what acheivements
John DeLorean had in his life, or what disappointments he encountered,
he prevailed. A work and life ethic that excluded concession, but
rather, substituted starting over, and moving on.

I never met the man in person. So it seems almost silly that I have
wept since hearing that he has died. Yes, I cried for the death of a
man, whom I never even met. Because I lost my hero.

If I've learned anything, it's that I'll never back down from my
dreams, and no matter what, never become corrupt in my persuits. One
of John De Lorean's favorite quotes, is one that I have applied time
and time again, above all else: Ephesians 6:12. And without him, I
never would have heard of it.

My hero may be gone, but his inspiration shall always remain. And who
knows, maybe I'll get to see him one day, if I too can make it up there...

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:12:38 -0000
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: JZD Passing...

I just heard of John's passing. Ironically, the hospital he passed
away in is the same I was born in 27 years and 15 days ago.

I have signed his memorial guest book and also posted a public link
on my site, www.g-body.org for the Gm G-Body owners to share their
condolences.

I don't own a DMC-12...yet.

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:31:54 -0500
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Local NJ paper covers loss of JZD - Statements for local DMC owners

Several members of the DMA spent time on the phone last night with a
reporter from the daily record about JZD.   Here is the article that
they ran today:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/news/articles/news3-deLorean.htm

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:39:05 -0000
From: "glenhuang2004" <glenhuang2004_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks John RIP,

Hope someone can contiune work on next Delorean car.

Glen

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:20:43 -0500
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: DMC towing

I towed mine about 400 miles last year when I first got it. I rented a
U-Haul with one of their trailers (full trailer, not the dolly). I had no
problems but I did use some of the towing advice other owners gave me.

Don't use a car cover or bra. The movement of the material will damage the
fascia
Don't tow backwards - If you do REMOVE THE LOUVERS. The weight distribution
is about 40% front and 60% rear. The difference in weight distribution will
not be that significant.

- Mike
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:30:21 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

It will tow better if you can tow it facing backwards. If you do not
use an enclosed trailer you MUST either remove the rear sunshade or
cover it with a tarp tied tightly over the sunshade (rear louvre). Not
taking these precautions can cause the sunshade to catch the air and
be ripped right off. Make sure the trailer is wide enough, a Delorean
is a very wide, low car. Attach the hold-downs to the anchor points on
the frame. DO NOT HOOK ANYTHING TO THE CONTROL ARMS! It is probably a
good idea to tarp the whole car or use a cover, it will keep people
from gawking. Stop several times the first hour of driving and check
the trailer and the hold-downs, things tend to loosen in the
beginning. If you do remove the sunshade mark it's position so it is
easier to reinstall. It is just 4 bolts, 2 on each side and the 2 struts.

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:42:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Freeze 12

It is funny they tell you what is NOT in it but fail to tell you what
IS in it. They did not have an MSDS sheet available to see what the
ingredients are. It is probably a blended refrigerent. That in itself
is not so bad but they don't show the operating pressures. It probably
runs a little higher than R-12 with a little less cooling capacity.
That is the general story on blended refrigerents. The main problem
with blended refrigerents is that when they leak they do not leak in
equal proportion to the ingredients. The lighter components leak out
faster. This is a problem when having to "top off" a system with a
blended refrigerent. You start to loose the proportions and the
balance   between the different ingredients. Some blends are a lot
more sensitive to thei than others. In most cases you are supposed to
remove the refrigerent and refill with new to maintain balance, you
are not supposed to "top off". I use R-414A which allows topping off
several times. It is probably very similar but without the MSDS I
don't know.

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:26:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Blue Book Value

You can join me in the dunking booth!

<SNIP>

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:38:45 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Ebay alloy wheel hoax?

I would second Martin's comments below, the wheel looks just like the one
seen on photos of the really early prototypes...

Chris Hawes

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:43:41 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: NOS appearing everywhere... I could laugh myself silly....

At the big DeLorean car show last year the following nitrous DMC was on
show.

http://photos.noroads.com/dcs2004?id=499

Is the owner on the list?
What is it like owning a nitrous powered DeLorean.

I have just found out that my girlfriends neighbour has a nitrous powered
Lotus Carlton... I think I may have a chat with the owner.....

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:01:42 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

Gleb,

I strongly urge you to rent a flatbed trailer from UHAUL versus their
two-wheeled "car transporter".  Yes it will cost a little more.
However, you are running a very high risk of damaging your car using
the two wheeled cart.  And if you have never towed before, don't
worry about a flatbed.  If you take it nice and slow you will do fine.

I have heard that towing a D backwards will danage the louvers, and
that makes perfect sense.  The wind will grab it and tear it off.
Even if you take the louvers off before towing, you run the risk of
messing up your front suspension and bodywork.

I can't stress enough how much you should not do this.

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:17:21 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

  I would not worry about towing the car backwards.  When I purchased my DeLorean I rented a U Haul trailer to tow it from Michigan to New Jersey.  I had it on the trailer facing forward.  It will tow fine.  In fact make sure you get the U Haul Car Trailer with surge brakes.  You will hardly notice you are towing a trailer.  It tows behind very smoothly.  However be sure to watch when opening the doors on the trailer, they can come very close to the top of the wheel well covering.

Gary Gore
VIN 3360

 <<From: "gremishe" <gremishe_at_dml_sju.edu>
Subject: DMC towing

Hi,

I am planning to rent U-Haul vehicle trailer to tow my D.
The U-Haul instructions and my car manual said that the heavy part of
the car should be at the front of the trailer. This means towing
backwards.
I remember someone said that this will damage the louvre.
Is it true?
Do I have to tow backward?
Should I remove louvre before towing? Is it easy to remove it?

I never towed before so any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Gleb
3406>>

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:54:49 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Gleb, If your going to tow with a Dolly, then backwards is the only way.
Just tie down the louver. I have done it both ways + a trailer and backwards
is the way I prefer.

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:51:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Paul Harvey

Short & Sweet.
So far the most tastefull mention of John's passing in the media.
http://www.paulharvey.com/
Click "Morning" to the right of "Monday" at the listening area near the top.
(Windows Media Player only)

Shannon Y

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:39:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Concours

WOW, on 2 cars in Pigeon Forge last year..

"Still looking for competitors" this year..

The numbers say more about this event than I ever
could.

<SNIP>

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:35:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Concours- was Blue Book Value

*THIS* is why I am so outspoken against the concours
event..  Our cars are not expensive or exclusive
enough for any owner to have this kind of stuck-up
attitude....  Which is what attracted many of us to
the DeLorean in the first place.

"Luck" has nothing to do with it, Talent and ability
have little to nothing to do with it.  This is a
contest about MONEY.

It would be less expensive to just go buy yourself a
trophy.