From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2531
Date: Monday, March 21, 2005 10:12 PM

1. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Radio Interview
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Trouble starting
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Radio Interview
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

6. RE: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

8. Re: Concours
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

9. Re: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

10. Re: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

11. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

12. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

13. Re: Re: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: "bravoracer" <kingme8_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

16. Re: Re: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

17. With JD passing?
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: Re: Concours
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Rheostat and Electrical Issues
From: "dmc4matt" <dmc4matt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:01:28 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Automatic vs. Stick

I happen to enjoy my 5 speed DeLorean, with the exception of being stuck in
traffic on a hill, which is never any fun.  There were fewer automatics
produced, in fact if my memory serves me correctly the ratio was about 2 to 1, or
even 3 to 1.  The production numbers have been published on the list before I
believe.
       Either transmission has benefits and drawbacks, with the stick
transmissions requiring the occasional clutch and the automatics with their computer
governor issues.  In any case I just looked up the price of a governor on DMC
(texas') website, and it appears they are now selling rebuilt units for a much
lower price then the new ones were going for, which makes the purchase of an
Automatic less risky from a cost standpoint.
       It really all comes down to your own personal taste.

Andrew

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:04:23 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

What about most of the Vette's that are autos?
How about the new Lamborghini Guiardo that has an auto "stick"?
I bet they would differ with you.
Mine's an auto and love it.
Try drving in Dallas traffic for a while, you will beg for an auto.
- VB

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:29:45 -0000
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Radio Interview

I listened in. Chris excellent job refuting those Delorean myths.

Bravo!

They really seemed to be hung up on the car's lack of power steering.

Cain Grimes.
002835

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:26:46 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Trouble starting

I actually did not hear or see the news of JZD's death until about
9:00 PM last night, but something strange happened to my car.  It
did not want to start.  It was perfectly fine on Saturday and I had
just filled it up with gas, and it is purring like a kitten today,
but yesterday it just did not want to.  Then I read the news about
John and thought that maybe there was a connection.  I think that
when something is created with all of the creator's heart then what
is created is given a soul, just like us.

Maybe I'm just being wierd, but the fact that my car was only acting
strange on the day it's maker died is a little too much of a
coincidence for me.

Japheth
VIN: 1223

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:43:20 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

nicely done Chris!

If the dumbass host hadn't trivialized entrapment after you were
finished, it would've been perfect!  (haha)

-Josh

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:12:15 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?

Seems in poor taste, let's think about the man's family and honor his memory
before we start capitalizing on the loss.

Dom

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:28:10 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Thanks for the advice.  I am tending to want the 5 speed.

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:02:55 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Concours

Sorry Steve, the D Rex should place 2nd this time, since most
of what is more than 4 feet off the ground is stock Delorean.

LOL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Stankiewicz

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:31:11 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

Perhaps I'm just being overly sensative, but this just reeks of bad
taste. I mean JZD's funeral has not even occurred and people are
speculating about the values of his cars. But as bad taste as the
article may have been done in, it appears there is already evidence
to the article's effect. There's a nice, low mileage, well-
documented, original DeLorean on eBay right now that has 5+ days
left in the auction and the bidding is already at $30,000+ after a
$1,000 starting bid. I guess all of this is still surreal to me. It
seems like JZD is finally getting the respect and recognition in the
media he deserves, but it's AFTER he's gone. I suppose that's the
state of the world right now though.

Louie Golden

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:33:04 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

I hope not. It's not as if I wouldn't mind the extra "cash" in my
garage, but not like this. I know it's often "how it works", but that
doesn't make it right.

Seems the vultures are already coming out. Someone is trying to sell a
copy of Stainless Steel Illusion on eBay for $400.

-Ryan

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:31:35 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

Hey Paul,

I have a Turbo automatic with 11k miles on it for sale.  Local club
members who have driven my car think the performance is better than a
5 speed (due to the turbo).

I think that the automatic can be just as fun to drive; however, I
really prefer a manual to give it just that much more "feel".  So I
suppose it depends on you.

Thanks!
Dave Jacobs

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:30:57 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Most of the Vette's are autos in my opinion because older people own
them and they are easier to drive and they are so over priced for what
you get old people are the only ones who can afford them in my opinion.

I have never seen anybody younger than 40 looking drive a Vette and all
of the owners i know that own newer Vette's are old.

Mark V

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:34:33 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

I agree, when I found that article I thought it was in somewhat poor
taste as well.  It seemed to me like it was one museum making the
allegations that the values were skyrocketing, only to publicize
themselves a little more.  They even mention their price for admission!
  I just thought the rest of the list might like to see another article
regarding JZD.  I have been checking Google News and have been able to
find numerous articles, where I found this one.

I hope you weren't refering to me having poor taste bringing up the
subject, I just thought the rest of the list might like to take a look
at another article.

Patrick C.
1880

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:50:36 -0000
From: "bravoracer" <kingme8_at_dml_hotmail.com>

VideoBob makes an excellent point, the traffic where I live is
horrible, just stop and go traffic. thats one of the reasons I have
an automatic. The other reason was I just came upon my car at the
right time at the right price and it happened to be auto.  I think I
read somewhere on another forum where someone was saying why would
you need a gas hog V-12 sports car in stop and go traffic while
defending the Delorean. Now if you live in a long open road area then
a manual will be more fun, but don't go by whats popular though, just
go with what you like.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:47:06 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Demand for manual transmissions has plummeted in the past
5 years or so, mainly because of traffic considerations and
for fuel economy/emissions reasons.  I think that for most
models, automatic transmissions are standard - a manual
'box has to be ordered if you want one.  Most new cars now
have networked drivetrains, so the best decisions about
fuel economy and emissions can be made between the
engine management system and the transmission computer.
There is a definite trend towards pushbutton or paddle
shifting in high end cars and in sports cars like the MR2.
This takes a lot of the fun out of driving a car well, because
now anybody can do a perfect downshift because the
car takes care of rev matching for you.

-------------- Original message from DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:50:26 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

That's not an unusual price for SSI prior to the
reprinting by DMCH.  As I recall, prices were
averaging in the $250 range for former library
copies.  This is nothing compared to the fine
arts.  Of course, once an artist dies, the body
of work is set - there won't be any more
created by that artist.

-------------- Original message from "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:51:02 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: With JD passing?

I do not post here much but I do own a D, and I have an emotional
attachment to it, which is why it sits in my garage never for sale
but waiting for me to get it going again. I am curious about
something, other than Carroll Shelby is there any one person so
associated with a car, just wondering and thanking JD.

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:34:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Concours

OK.  3RD??  PLEASE...  I promise, I'll set the clock
correctly.  I just want a "Concours" trophy to display
with the car.  Wouldn't that be a laugh!  ; )

Steve
--- d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net> wrote:

> Sorry Steve, the D Rex should place 2nd this time,
> since most
> of what is more than 4 feet off the ground is stock
> Delorean.
>
> LOL
>
> Later,
> Rich W.
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Stankiewicz
> <protodelorean_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> >
> > Hell, does that mean I'd be guaranteed at least a
> 2ND
> > PLACE with MY car? (wink wink); )
> >
> > Hmmmmmm
> >

> > --- Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> > >

> > > Well one of those cars is in the UK now...
> > >
> > > Martin

> ever
> > > >

> > > To address comments privately to the moderating
> > > team, please address:
> > > moderators_at_dml_d...
> > >
> > > For more info on the list, tech articles, cars
> for
> > > sale see www.dmcnews.com
> > >
> > > To search the archives or view files, log in at
> > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
> > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >

> > >     dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> > >

> > Steve
> >
> > VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
> > www.projectdelorean.com

> > Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources
> site!

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:03:18 -0000
From: "dmc4matt" <dmc4matt_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Rheostat and Electrical Issues

Hey Guys,

I've got some issues that are bugging the heck out of me. I've got a
problem where I have no dash lights, or a rear taillight. According
to a few DMC guys, the taillights are linked into or through the
rheostat somehow. I took out my rheostat thinking that was the
problem. I purchased a new one, and installed it. It didn't solve my
problems. Here's what I've got, looking at the back of the rheostat,
with the four "prongs" facing you. The PO must have been doing some
checking on the issues, because there are pieces of masking tape on
each of the three wires.

>From Left:

Electrical Prong 1: One Red/Orange Wire, Labled: Outside Left
Electrical Prong 2: One Red/Orange Wire, Labled: Inside Left
Electrical Prong 3: NONE
Electrical Prong 4: One Red/White Wire, Labled: Pass.

I have no idea why I have no dash lights. When I say dash lights, I
mean the lights that come on when the parking lamps or headlights
come on. All my warning lights (EX: Open Door Warning Light, Gas,
Etc) work fine. I'm assuming there should be a wire coming off of
every wire. Is it true that the taillights are linked through the
rheostat somehow? I've replaced the circuit boards, and checked the
light to make sure it didn't blow.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt McLaughlin