From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2532
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:48 PM

1. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

2. Just a little change of pace....
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Re: Radio Interview
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: With JD passing?
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. Note from a member of SafariFriends, a motorhome group
From: "Bill Daly" <fyr_at_dml_verizon.net>

7. Re: Trouble starting
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

8. Re: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Was "Trouble Starting"
From: "Ace Underhill" <aceu_at_dml_brilliantscreen.com>

10. Re: Rheostat and Electrical Issues
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Re: Concours
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. RE: Rheostat and Electrical Issues
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Torsion Bar Issue
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Concours- was Blue Book Value
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

15. Commerated JZD at the factory last night.
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

16. Re: NOS appearing everywhere... I could laugh myself silly....
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. JZD news articles
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

18. Repect
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: Concours
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Radio Interview
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

22. Re: Re: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. RE: Automatic vs. Stick
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>

24. Re: Torsion Bar Issue
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

25. Re: Re: With JD passing?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:18:11 -0800
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Automatic vs. Stick

mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Demand for manual transmissions has plummeted in the past
> 5 years or so
[...]

You do mean "in the US", right?  The automatic transmission is a distinctly US-centric phenomenon.

-Owen

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:27:16 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Just a little change of pace....

  Even though the passing of Mr DeLorean is gonna be around for
awhile, I thought it might be wise to change the overall mood of
things....at list for a bit. OK my question, does anyone know whether
Renault would blueprint their engines after a certain number in the
production run? How would this work for the engines that were out
sourced to DeLorean? Is there a way to tell...by a production # of the
block?? I know that GM  would do it after every 200 cars or so. I
imagine this would be near impossible to find out since I guess these
were stockpile engines and not cars on the assembly line. Am I right??/
Harry Vin #2696

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:44:41 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Radio Interview

In a message dated 3/21/05 6:24:07 PM Central Standard Time,
wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I listened in. Chris excellent job refuting those Delorean myths.
>
> Bravo!
>
> They really seemed to be hung up on the car's lack of power steering.
>
> Cain Grimes.
> 002835

Any chance the rest of us could get a transcript, or at least some highlights?

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:03:19 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Automatic vs. Stick

In a message dated 3/21/05 3:50:11 PM Central Standard Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

> Repairing an automtic will cost a lot more than any
> repairs you may need on a 5-speed. It will come down to a matter of
> personal choice and if your "significant other" can drive a stick.

No, David, that's actually the reason why one would WANT a stick - so the
significant other can't drive it!!

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:31:35 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: With JD passing?

Actually this exact question was running through my mind earlier
today. Of course there are other automakers who were big names and
were associated with their cars (Porsche, Ferrari, Ford just to name
a few), but other than Shelby and DeLorean I can't think of any
automaker/engineer whose personalities and lives made them just as
famous and beloved by the public as their automobiles did. Perhaps
it's because Shelby and DeLorean produced cars which were so much
more personal than other manufacturers. Or perhaps it's because they
were products of the information age versus automakers who came
before them. I think it's the combination of their pioneering
automobiles, larger than life personalities and lives, and pure
being in the right business at the right time in history can account
for their legacies.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:24:23 -0000
From: "Bill Daly" <fyr_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Note from a member of SafariFriends, a motorhome group

--- In Safarifriends_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jim Vander Mey

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:37:06 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Trouble starting

My DeLorean wouldn't start all weekend either, no matter what I did
to it. And this is a daily driver car that has quite literally been
on the road every day for the last 10 years without ever leaving me
or any of it's previous owners stranded. One of my friends suggested
the exact same thing... she knew her daddy was sick. I did finally
get the car running today though. Turned out a brand new Bosch coil
which had been on the car for about 2 weeks was to blame. What are
the odds? -Louie #5252 Charlotte, NC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "secret_jedi_guy"

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:39:16 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Death of JZD Boosting Prices on GTOs and DeLoreans?

Is it time to break out the poisoned Kool-Aid yet?

First off, any rise in value will be the result of simple speculation
and will soon drop off. Second, unlike an artist or writer whose body
of work ends with his death JZD's work ended long ago. Why would his
"product" enjoy a rise in value now? Other than a short run of
speculation I wouldn't hold your breath. Very few wanted the car back
then and it's no different today. The market value has always
reflected that. And I've lost track of how many times the word "cult"
has been used in the myriad of news articles I've read over the last
few days.

Third, no wonder many of you are struggling to maintain the car. It
should be treated as an asset, nothing more. Are you telling me if
someone offered you $40K after you paid $13K you wouldn't take it?
That's what happened to me. I jumped on it and if you don't do the
same then be prepared to slave your life away in a cubicle somewhere.
Emotional attachment to toys is the foundation of consumer
debt...which is the foundation of remaining (or going) broke.

If I could capitalize on this event I would too and you know what? JZD
would be proud. Why? Because he spent his life taking advantage of
every oppurtunity to do the same. It's how he got to be JZD in the
first place.

Lastly, the following is but a tiny sample of the bad press he's been
getting and not only abroad. I guess the Brits and Irish are just sore
losers huh?

http://tinyurl.com/5pzwn

In short the guy was no saint and those who are quick to judge others
based on the twisted perspective cultdom offers are no better. It's
not my intent to bash him (the press is doing a good job of that) but
it's obvious there are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:55:03 -0700
From: "Ace Underhill" <aceu_at_dml_brilliantscreen.com>
Subject: Was "Trouble Starting"

>>Maybe I'm just being wierd, but the fact that my car was only acting
>>strange on the day it's maker died is a little too much of a
>>coincidence for me.
>>
>>Japheth
>>VIN: 1223

I don't think it's weird at all because  I had a similiar experience
Saturday evening.
After spending a few days at DMC Texas, I was driving to AZ, doing about
90+ with plenty of spare room on the pedal.  (Got the performance modded
engine)
All of a sudden my speed dropped to 80.  I stepped on the gas and nothing
happened.
I pushed it all the way to the floor (on those flat texas plains) and
couldn't budge above
80.  I stopped and filled up with the highest octane fuel I could find and I
could still
not go faster than 80 MPH.  After about an hour and a half of this,
everything returned
to normal.

-Ace Underhill
Brilliant Screen Entertainment

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:19:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Rheostat and Electrical Issues

Two of the connections on the rheostat are electrically connected. The
two red/orange wires go there. The red/white goes to one of the
others. A quick test is to just jumper them all together with clip
leads or a couple of paper clips. Everything should light up. If it
does not then you have to follow the power to where it stops.

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:46:03 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Concours

Hey second is what I usually get are you trying to muscle in  LOL

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:39:31 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Matt, Do you have power on the red/orange wires, if not you won't have any
power to the dash lights. Red/white. If there is no power there, then you
have to go back to the headlight switch. The power for the dash + other
lights come off the headlight switch. This is where the headlight switch
saver I build will help.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical.html

I've got some issues that are bugging the heck out of me. I've got a
problem where I have no dash lights, or a rear taillight. According
to a few DMC guys, the taillights are linked into or through the
rheostat somehow. I took out my rheostat thinking that was the
problem. I purchased a new one, and installed it. It didn't solve my
problems. Here's what I've got, looking at the back of the rheostat,
with the four "prongs" facing you. The PO must have been doing some
checking on the issues, because there are pieces of masking tape on
each of the three wires.

>From Left:

Electrical Prong 1: One Red/Orange Wire, Labled: Outside Left
Electrical Prong 2: One Red/Orange Wire, Labled: Inside Left
Electrical Prong 3: NONE
Electrical Prong 4: One Red/White Wire, Labled: Pass.

I have no idea why I have no dash lights. When I say dash lights, I
mean the lights that come on when the parking lamps or headlights
come on. All my warning lights (EX: Open Door Warning Light, Gas,
Etc) work fine. I'm assuming there should be a wire coming off of
every wire. Is it true that the taillights are linked through the
rheostat somehow? I've replaced the circuit boards, and checked the
light to make sure it didn't blow.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt McLaughlin

VIN #2205
Automatic/Black Interior

In memory of my Hero, John Z. DeLorean
January 6th, 1925 - March 19th, 2005

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 05:40:47 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Torsion Bar Issue

Hi there,

I was wondering if a torsion bar breaks, is it possible to have it
welded and work?  My RH Door Torsion Bar broke and I was able to have
it welded with lots of support around the break.  I haven't been able
to test it on the door yet, and I figured I'd ask before I do.  Has
anyone tried it before?  In my case it was a super clean break...but
if anyone has tried let me know.

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323
Denver CO

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:45:55 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Concours- was Blue Book Value

I never wanted to compete in Councours, because it just doesn't suit
me to have to preserve my car, rather than drive it. Of course, I am
appriciative of those who have, because it does set a fine example for
what an original car should be like when it was new, for those whom
are curious.

I've taken allot of time to think about this, and I know what the
answer is for myself, as to what my real beef here is. Preserving a
car because you want to actively compete in concours I support.
Because even though the car may not be driven, it is *technicly* being
actively used in a competition of some sort.

What I cannot stand are the people who simply want to hide the cars
away, because they have some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder
when it comes to preventing any type of milage to accumulate on the
car. And it's these fools whom get lumped in together with those in
active competition.

Mopar Hemis, and other cars are yet another apples to oranges
comparison to DeLoreans. How many Chrysler models were available with
Hemi options. Now compare how many of these models were produced
overall, versus how many took that Hemi option. So this does indeed
justify as to why these cars were rare, hense their value. Now look at
the DeLorean. 1 platform, 1 model, 2 factory options, and only trival
cosmetic changes. Otherwise, it just the same car.

With muscle cars, you break it down to
Year->Manufacturer->Platform->Model->Powerplant->Transmission->Option
Package->Paint color->Assorted Documentation. And then divide this by
production #'s. So if someone says, I want a numbers matching 1971
Dodge Challenger R/T with a 440 & pistol grip trans in Arctic White
with NO vinyl top & it's build sheet, then yes, that's a rare car,
because of it's production numbers, which usually justifies it's value.

The DMC-12 just doesn't have that kind of diversity, even though there
were far more Dodge Challengers (in the example here) built, than
DMC-12s. In fact, about the closest you'll ever see to someone getting
like this, is when they want a car with a gas flap. The number of fine
examples has nothing to do with it. In fact, muscle cars have become
quite popular, because those whom remember them from their youth, and
now have the means to buy them, and creating said demand.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:19:04 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Commerated JZD at the factory last night.

Hi all,

Like a lot of people, I am really saddened that John DeLorean has
died, RIP. I met him in 1998 for an hour at his Bedminster home, and
spoke to him on the phone a few times. I admired him greatly, and he
was my hero, and I will miss him terribly.

A few of us Irish owners met in Belfast last night at the DeLorean
factory. We drove our cars around the old test track, and raised a
toast to the late great JZD in the pub afterwards. A wreath is being
organised by Allistair McCann to leave at the factory gates which is
a lovely idea.

Pictures will be up on http://www.delorean.ie as soon as possible,
hopefully in the next 2 or 3 days. I will let you all know.

My deepest sympathies to the DeLorean family.

John Dore, Ireland, Vin 3810.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:06:53 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: NOS appearing everywhere... I could laugh myself silly....

The next issue of Gullwing Magazine has Kyles car as the "Feature
Car".  If you want to read his story of the engine conversion and see
some amazing photos get yourself a copy.

Ron

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:58:45 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: JZD news articles

I was on a bit of a quest to gather and save all of the news articles
on John's passing. That is, until I did a search - Google News is
reporting 783 articles!!

I found that simply amazing, and wanted to share.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=delorean&btnG=Search+News

Rest in peace, John.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:09:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Repect

Hope this doesn't piss anyone off BUT.....To those who are going to the funeral, it's been said a couple of times to be repsectful at the services but lets say it how it should be said....
Don't be idiots only thinking of yourself or how your car looks by bringing wipes and rags to polish it while in the parking lot.  We all know there are some who don't have the social sensibilty to "get it" so lets make it clear.   It would be crass to make it into a rally, crusin' trip,  make-shift car show, loud pumping stereos blaring etc.... it's not the time or place.   Wear a suit and not T-Shirts, jeans, baseball hats etc........lets show the world that DeLorean owners are class people especially in times like these.  There will most likely be T.V. crews there.  Don't embarrass the family or our community by being stupid and thoughtless.   We can all go crazy in 2006 in Chicago and express ourselves more with tributes and such.

I know that the majority of you WILL be totally repectful and know how to handle yourself.  It's the small minority that I'm concerned about.   Maybe we should appoint someone to "thump" anyone who acts stupid!!!  Just a thought.  Pass on the good wishes for all of us who can't make it.

That's my opinion.  Hope you all agree.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:39:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Go buy a trophy.  They are not that expensive.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:25:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Radio Interview

Someone going to post the audio?

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 05:11:09 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Automatics are for old men. (I am 84!!)..   As you can see by my years I
have had a lot of time and cars.   I really enjoyed the straight sticks over
this time.....made me feel like a REAL MAN.....All of my cars now are
automatic.  I got tired in all of those years of spending all my time
"rowing through those gears".   It is SO NICE now, to sit back and relax and
just steer between the telephone poles!   I don't know what the actual
figures are as to numbers of Auto VS 5 speeds, but when I was looking for
mine, 10 years ago, I found it difficult to find an Auto.  My criteria at
that time was that it had to be Auto, Gray leather and the original SS.   I
checked all sources and it was My experience that there were about 1 in 10
that were automatic.  I don't really believe that is correct though.  I was
almost on my way to the big city to look at two 5 speeds, when the night
before I left, an Automatic showed up that had only 3K miles on it....just
what I was looking for and I bought it and drove it home.   But more power
to you 5 speed "kids".  Its YOUR turn to have the fun!!

Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:35:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

By simply talking about it, it WILL have an impact on
the price of these items.

I agree, it is somewhat morbid...  But must admit I
don't know why everyone is so upset by prices
(seeming) to increase this week.

Are these people really "capitalizing" on the death of
the man?  Or just selling something they own?  Ebay is
a poor example to say someone is taking advantage of
the situation because the price is set by the buyer.

If these cars do go up in value, it is just another
compliment to the legacy of Mr. DeLorean.

Selling photos of the WTC in flames on 9/11 is
capitalizing on something bad..  I don't think I could
say the same thing for selling a car to the highest
bidder.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:26:18 -0600
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>

I've had a Corvette since I was 25 (I'm now 30).  How are they overpriced?
They will outperform cars that cost twice as much.  I think the DeLorean is
a great car but most people at the time thought they were quite overpriced
for what you got, didn't they?  (Nearly twice the price of a Corvette, if
memory serves)

For the record, I bought my Corvette used for less than it would take to buy
a nice DeLorean.  Younger people generally have to wait for the "older"
buyers to take the depreciation hit so we can afford them.  How is that
different than any other sports/specialty car?  How many 25-year-olds can
afford a new Porsche, Ferrari, etc.?  And what do you think new DeLoreans
would cost if they still made them?

Many on this list seem quite sensitive to false stereotypes placed on
DeLoreans and DeLorean owners.  Yet, there are those here that have no issue
spouting false stereotypes about those who own other marques.  Those in
glass houses...

Cheers!  And enjoy your cars, no matter what transmission you have! :)

AL

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:48:46 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Torsion Bar Issue

 It won't work. I'm not a metallurgist but I do know that the torsion bars
work because of the molecular structure of the bar. When you weld it you
change that. Right side bars are still available I belive.  Bite the bullet
and get a new one.

Bruce Benson

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:02:15 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: With JD passing?

Colin Chapman - Lotus
Enzo Ferrari - Ferrari
Ferdinand Porsche - Porsche, Volkswagen
Sir William Lyons - Jaguar
W. O. Bently - Bently
E.L. Cord - Cord
Ransom Olds - REO, Oldsmobile
William Durant - Durant, General Motors
Preston Tucker - Tucker
Donald Healey - Austin/Healey

There are also a number of designers who have gained a lot
of fame from the auto industry.

There are many more.  Check out Automobile Quarterly for
some good historical perspective on the industry in general and
the personalities in particular.

-------------- Original message from "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>: --------------