From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2534
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:03 PM

1. Re: Repect
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

2. Re: Torsion Bar Issue
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

3. car mysteriously dies 2 years in a row
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

5. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

6. Re: Torsion Bar Issue
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

7. Re: Endotex's attitude.
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Returned Telex/Factory Papers
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: car mysteriously dies 2 years in a row
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

10. DMC12 SoCal on Ebay....
From: "sa_mehn" <sascha.mehn_at_dml_de.ddb.com>

11. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:48:17 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Repect

I agree with everything that has been written on the subject. There
should be protocol for this event because JZD was a classy man, and
his family and friends deserve nothing short of that in their time of
grief. At the same time we shouldn't lose sight of the type of man
JZD was in life: he was a flamboyant, over the top, dramatic, movie
star type person. I am certain that a large group of DeLorean owners
showing up at his wake would be just the sort of thing he would have
appreciated. In life he did everything with the utmost style and
flash, and I'm sure in death he'd want it the same way. So yes, if
you want to attend this event and you have the means to go
(especially in your car) then I think it's not only appropriate, it's
something we almost owe this man for dedicating his life to these
automobiles each of us enjoy so much. Look what he went through the
last 23 years because of the DMC-12... we owe him some sort of nod.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Hope this doesn't piss anyone off BUT.....To those who are going to
the funeral, it's been said a couple of times to be repsectful at the
services but lets say it how it should be said....
> Don't be idiots only thinking of yourself or how your car looks by
bringing wipes and rags to polish it while in the parking lot.  We
all know there are some who don't have the social sensibilty to "get
it" so lets make it clear.   It would be crass to make it into a
rally, crusin' trip,  make-shift car show, loud pumping stereos
blaring etc.... it's not the time or place.   Wear a suit and not T-
Shirts, jeans, baseball hats etc........lets show the world that
DeLorean owners are class people especially in times like these.
There will most likely be T.V. crews there.  Don't embarrass the
family or our community by being stupid and thoughtless.   We can all
go crazy in 2006 in Chicago and express ourselves more with tributes
and such.

> I know that the majority of you WILL be totally repectful and know
how to handle yourself.  It's the small minority that I'm concerned
about.   Maybe we should appoint someone to "thump" anyone who acts
stupid!!!  Just a thought.  Pass on the good wishes for all of us who
can't make it.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:48:05 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Torsion Bar Issue

Brandon - As Bruce Benson noted in another response, this will not
work.  Welding any metal changes the characteristics of the metal
dramatically.  The torsion bar starts as 304 CRES, which is not heat-
treatable.  That's why it was cryogenically tempered to create
the "memory effect" that allows it to be used as a spring.  (You
should see how much mathematics and calculus is involved in
determining the exact nature of the cryogenic treatment ...
unbelievable!)  Welding will disrupt the molecular and crystalline
structure of the CRES.  If you install this bar into your car, it
will break at the boundary between the weld filler material and the
base bar material.  This is where the materials are all mixed
together into a sort of "steel stew", with totally unknown
properties.  As Bruce noted, the right hand bars are available.  In
fact, we have one in stock at very good price.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> I was wondering if a torsion bar breaks, is it possible to have it
> welded and work?  My RH Door Torsion Bar broke and I was able to
have it welded with lots of support around the break.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:54:50 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: car mysteriously dies 2 years in a row

Hey group,

After all the talk about getting the cars out I did the same today.
Unfortunately my D died on me 5 times in 45 minutes.

Here's what happened. I put the battery in and started the car (it started
immediately as if it wasn't even in storage since october). I warmed the car up
for about 10 minutes until it reached operating temperature.   I checked for
leaks and after finding nothing I took it on it's first slow journey down the
street.  After about three minutes the tach jerked once, then a second later
dropped to zero and the car was dead.  I coasted into a parking lot and went to
the engine bay and pretty much unplugged every harness and electrical
connector related to ignition, idle motor, and rear bulkhead and then plugged them
back in. The car started.  Then about 5 minutes after that it died again. this
time I wasn't able to pull off the road and as i waited for cars to pass me i
tried the key and on the 3rd time it started.  no more than 5 minutes after that
it died again. This time i went to the electrical bay and unplugged fuse 1
then put it back in. car started.  I figured this was the culprit.  then I
started the car and it died when i closed the driver's door. I went back to the
fuse and this time it didn't help.  so i played with everything else engine
related back there and after that it started again!  Weird.  Then it died one more
time on the way back to the garage.  this time I couldn't find any single
culprit. only after messing around with many things did it randomly decide to
start again.  sometimes when it dies the RPM needle jerks a couple times first, in
fact, once it jerked, died, and 1 second later the car started again as I was
coasting to a stop.

While the car is running, i haven't found a way to kill it by tapping
electrical parts, yet it seems vibration related since i closed the door and killed
it.

I had the EXACT same problem LAST spring right after storage.  After a couple
days of pulling my hair out it never came back.  Until today.

I know it's not the inertia switch because I bypassed it last fall with plans
of a new one this year.  I am wondering if my Accel coil (which everyone says
is not a good product) could be suspect.  I have also never replaced the RPM
relay or the pulse coil.

Any ideas would be fantastic.  I am quite sure the problem is electrical
related.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:08:15 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic vs. Stick

I agree. When i get much older than i am now i will want a Automatic
tranny, why mess around, just drive.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:13:36 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

New Mustang Cobra is around $38,000, New Corvette mid $50,000. New
Mustang Cobra .01 second slower than a New Corvette. Do the math
because a new Vette is almost $20,000 more overpriced.

Also i have never met a Corvette owner that said they were not
overpriced either.

Also i said NEW Corvette not used in my first post.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:15:31 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I have seen a welded torsion bar fly apart like a gun fired at a tech
session a year ago. Dont do it buy a new one or find a good used one.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:00:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Endotex's attitude.

Every sword had two edges; every coin has two sides,
etc., etc.  But when someone expresses the side
opposite to yours, let's not start name calling.  To
call someone a  "bitter little person" is opinionated
name calling.

I've never met Endotex.  Some of his posts have
certainly rubbed me wrong.  HOWEVER, to say he has
never contributed anything positive is nonsense.  He
has contributed a number of technical pieces where he
has indicated that anyone seriously interested in the
subject can contact him off list.

I'm extremely saddened by JZD's death.  Yes, I think
he was a pretty darn bright individual.  But, like me
and, I suspect, everyone else on this list, he was no
saint and no matter how we try to cannonize him, it
won't happen.

Society makes no progress with dissenting voices.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

PS  Now I guess I will definitely have to join Marc
and VB in the Chicago dunking booth.

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:26:20 EST
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Returned Telex/Factory Papers

Thank you James Espey for returning the DMC Telex/Factory papers back to me.
They arrived here this afternoon.

The hundred or so telexes that I have are dated from December 1979 to
November 1981 and range in topic.

1.  Renault PRV engine changes for the DMC12
2.  prototype parts availability and changes at Lotus/Dunmurry.
3.  Assembly plant construction, tellus carrier costs, and conveyer belt
costs & installation.
4.  Changes in stainless panels & stainless panels DMC had to scrap.
5.  Some early VIN cars & quality control problems with unattached parts.
6.  Legend Turbo cars and engineering cars that were shipped to USA
7.  Renault Alpine sports cars that DMC owned as test pilots for DMC12
8.  assembly plant employee training in Paris and California.
9.  QAC orders for replacement parts
10.  VINs damaged in shipment.
11.  NIDA investment in the factory from JZD
12. Hotel arrangement & factory tours for supplier representatives.
13. Middle east and RHD program.
14. electrical system problems
15. Automatic transmission engineering, parts and specs.
16. addition of pull strap for doors
17. test track guard rails
18. Bank account balances and several notices for overdrawn accounts
19. GPD account payments!
20. GM financial to supply $250,000 line of credit to DMC (increased to
$500,000) for purchase of steering columns, spark plugs, instrument cluster, A/C
systems and other parts.
21.  Craig Radio service
22.  Employee/Executive Travel
23.  Board meetings in NYC and Belfast
24.  Inquires from prospective owners about features, performance numbers,
cost, etc.
25.  Telex from Marion Gibson to Mike Knepper about memos
26.  Telex from William Haddad about film on John DeLorean driving car at
Lotus in UK
27.  Renault telex to DMC about number of engines, and gearbox shipped in
1981. There were equal amounts of automatic and 5 speeds produced by DMC in 1981.

There are many more to sort out and arrange.

I will try to have the Telex's scanned & DMC/Lotus engineering photographs
available for the public to view.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:31:43 -0500
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Re: car mysteriously dies 2 years in a row

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 06:54:50PM -0500, Soma576_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> Hey group,
>
> After all the talk about getting the cars out I did the same today.
> Unfortunately my D died on me 5 times in 45 minutes.

[snip]

> Any ideas would be fantastic.  I am quite sure the problem is electrical
> related.

FWIW, I had this problem in Memphis (and on the way home. oy.); wound up
being a bad ground connection near the passenger-side trailing arm. Easy
way to see if it's a bad ground? Connect jumper-cables to the negative
terminal on the battery and to a bolt inside the car that connects to
to the frame;; one of the bolts holding the passenger seatbelt to the
car worked for me, got me all the way home (and around town for the
next month. heh.) That's what I get for swapping my TABs a week before
the trip. Lesson learned. =)

--n

<huey> dd of=/dev/fd0 if=/dev/flippy bs=1024
<huey> ^^^ Making Flippy Floppy

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:56:46 -0000
From: "sa_mehn" <sascha.mehn_at_dml_de.ddb.com>
Subject: DMC12 SoCal on Ebay....

If you are interested in Ebay#4537712846

ViewItem&rd=1&item=4537712846&category=31830

I can give you some more detailed informations on the car as I have
had a close look at it in February 2005.....

Stainless Greetings

SAM #789

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:25:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you look at the power curves you will see that the turbos match up
much closer with an automatic. An automatic can "shift-on-the-fly" as
opposed to a manual which must be in one gear or another, not like an
automatic which can be in 2 gears at once slipping between. The new
automatics with 5 or 6 gears match up ratios a lot better than the
older 3 speeds. More and more heavy trucks have automatics to reduce
driver fatigue, maintainence, and improve economy. Fork trucks are all
going automatic for ruggedness and reliability. With engine management
systems also controling the shifting of the transmission you see the
computer-controled powertrain. The manual transmission is going to
soon be relegated to the few sport type-racing type cars for the few
die-hards that still know how to step on a clutch. Because of
emissions it will probably be regulated to a very small amount of
production vehicles. A down-shifting manual is very dirty, emissions
speaking. One of the hottest set ups is the Tiptronic in high end cars
like Audi and BMW.