From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2537
Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:51 PM

1. Re: Automatic vs. Stick
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

2. Re: Antennas: Do they still make Black Mast Power Antennas units?
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. CAR NEARLY STOLEN
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

4. Re: DeLorean: Surely, Life Wasn't a Waste
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

5. Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social - Update
From: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

6. Re: Re: car mysteriously dies 2 years in a row
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

7. Any NYC are tribute for JZD?
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Detroit, US government, and DeLorean
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: Antennas: Do they still make Black Mast Power Antennas units?
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

10. Wings of Desire
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:17:58 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic vs. Stick

Thanks for the reply.  Seems like most prefer the manuals,

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:54:29 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Antennas: Do they still make Black Mast Power Antennas units?

( Moderators note: some of this script was deleted by the moderator. It's time to restore some order here so this post is the last I'm letting through regarding this.)

You have no right to say these things about me!
It is one thing to offer up alternative options, but to publicly say I am
scamming people
is total bullshit.
You don't know exactly what you are talking about, and you don't know what I
am
selling, and even if you did that still does not give you the right to say
that about me.
The antennas I sell are ready to install in the car and come with
instructions and free shipping.
If you buy an generic antenna you might need to do some modifications to it
and if you
don't know which wire goes where and matches up with what then you could
have problems.
That is why I also include a color, 12 page instruction manual with color
photos and offer
step by step installation instructions.
I send it ready to install.

All that aside, you have no right to treat me this way.
I have never done anything to you and it is not fair.
You and I are going to have some words if I ever run into you in person.
- VB

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:06:56 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: CAR NEARLY STOLEN

Hi all

I went round to my dads house tonight to check on the Delorean and do my usual running of the engine for ten minutes.

Well upon arriving at my dads I noticed that the garage door was open and my jack was lying in the middle of the yard.

I didnt really think much of this as my dad has a guy who cuts that lawn so I thought that he was about.  Getting out of the car I noticed that the lawnmower was still in the garage and that my rear tyre was flat????  What the hell I thought.........It was then to my utter amazement that I noticed that my tool chest had gone which contained ALL MY TOOLS, My entire set of ORIGINAL NCT TYRES and my BRAND NEW FRONT WHEEL THAT I ONLY GOT 3 WEEKS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and my new battery jump starter which I only got 2 weeks ago.

They had SLASHED THE DAMN TYRE ON THE CAR BECAUSE IT WAS LOCKED and to make things even more strange they did not take a 90 jack and left a 300 permabag/carcoon.  I am in bits as this could have been so much worse.

Please everyone go and kiss your cars and tell them you love her, because this could have been anyone of us.  I am so pissed off that these people got into my garage and took my stuff, what are they going to do with it??????  The only car that willtake DELOREAN NCT TYRES are BLOODY DELOREANS YOU STUPID MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is all because of JZD dying and these guys knowing I have this car, I should never have been on tv or the radio talking about it, these people are scum.

Alistair McCann
DOC 25/ Delorean Owners Ireland
NEARLY NO-LONGER VIN# PILOT25

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:05:25 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean: Surely, Life Wasn't a Waste

Michael,

Thanks for posting that accurate information.    You are right.
Certain people do not want to believe that there was a conspiracy to
put JZD out of business.

They just don't want to admit that their opinion is wrong, based on the
real facts.

It's easier to ignore reality with your head in the ground.

BOB

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:41:16 -0500
From: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social - Update

With just over three weeks left to the spring social, we already have 33
attendees and 19 cars preregistered!  We are almost half way to our goal
of 40+ cars!  The Mid-Atlantic club officers are wrapping up the final
planning of the event.   We expect to have a final itinerary for the
event in the next week or so on the website.

PLEASE NOTE:  We will also have a cutoff deadline for preregistration
and discounted dinner.   The price of $10 registration and $32 for
dinner will expire on April 9th.   If you register or attend after that
date, the price will be $15 for registration and $35 (per head) for dinner.

Please preregister for the event soon if you plan to attend.  Doing so
helps us to properly plan for the event.
Details can be found at:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/social05.htm

We have planned a great day for all who attend, and have some awesome
prizes that will be distributed that day.   There will also be a photo
shoot, inspection, door adjustments, and more!
With the recent passing of John Delorean, we also expect that many of
the media outlets that interviewed the club this week will be doing a
follow-up story by attending the social.   It would be great to show
everyone the dedication and loyalty we have to the legacy of Delorean.

We look forward to seeing you in April!

- Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:40:06 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: car mysteriously dies 2 years in a row

In a message dated 3/23/05 10:20:28 AM Central Standard Time,
tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com writes:

> Andy - I would take a serious look at the inertia switch.  Noah also
> had another good suggestion, so you have some things to consider.
> When I bought my car, the inertia switch had been unplugged, and
> replaced with a very large paper clip to complete the circuit.

Toby,

Actually last summer I removed my inertia switch because the housing was
cracked.  I installed a jumper in the circuit as a temporary fix. I intend on
fixing it 'correctly' this spring.  I know my jumper is OK because i had the same
problem last spring when the switch was installed instead.

I believe I have the original RPM relay.  I wasn't able to get the car to die
by tapping the relay, so i'm not sure if this could be the cause.  Is it
worth it just to replace it anyway?

I will check the grounds but I am pretty good with keeping them clean, hard
to believe one is loose or something. In fact I had to relocate the battery
ground last year so I might check that one again.  But, like above, the problem
was around last spring when the ground was in the original position.

I suppose the problem could be in the ignition switch or column.  Never
thought of that. Next time the car dies I'll try hitting the steering wheel while I
am cranking and see if it fires up.

To John Hervey - you asked what the resistance of the coil is. Do you mean
the ignition coil or pulse coil?  What do I have to do to measure it?  I have a
DVM but am not really good at it.

I am super busy the next couple of days but hopefully this weekend I can
commit some quality time to solving this once and for all.

Any other good ideas?

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:50:11 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Any NYC are tribute for JZD?

 I was just wondering if there is a possibility of something in the
works like a motorcade of Deloreans driving down a city street,
Highway or whatever, maybe just picking a spot and meeting up for some
people to take notice and get the facts straight. How about the
World's Fair in Queens? Been feeling the need to give something back
to the man

Harry Vin #2696

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:40:53 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Detroit, US government, and DeLorean

As I see it there were 2 conspiracies. The British government had just
changed parties and were not too fond of JZD and went out of their way
to scuttle his company and blame the other party for it's excesses. I
am also convinced elements of the government didn't mind "sticking it
to the Irish" at the same time. England was oppressing Northen Ireland
and many did not want to see anything succeed for them at all.
 The other conspiracy was an FBI informant and his handler/agent that
saw a ticket to "stardom" by involving and bringing down a celebrity
in a vulnarable position. With all of the other things going on like
the recesssion and some unfavaorable comments on the early cars all of
these things added up to monumental bad timing. The charges of fraud
only made everything worse. Even after all of the investigations which
found NO eveidence of fraud the taint could never be removed. In
today's world all one has to do is accuse someone of molesting a
child. After that you can never regain your reputation. Very common
tatic to demonize someone to make them unpopular and improve your
position. It is up to us and this List to try to educate the public.

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:01:00 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

( Moderator's note: This moderator agrees with the note below. The idea here is to share the enthusiasum of owning these cars and offer a place to bring DeLorean related problems for answers, announce events and anything else related to the pride of ownership that comes with these cars. It shouldn't be a place to pick apart every comment another subscriber makes or otherwise continualy promote things that detract from a positive stance on the list. It should be a place for camaraderie, not one of constant whinng and complaining. )

All this bickering and infighting that keeps going on on list is really
starting to irritate me. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The purpose of this list is to discuss the care and maintenance of our
little sliver cars.

I'm tired of people acting like they are on the grade-school playground
and getting into verbal shoving matches. If you have a problem with
someone, why don't you take it off list instead of subjecting everyone
on the list to it. I know there are several individuals on this list
that deserve low marks in the "plays well with others" category.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 03:28:40 -0000
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Wings of Desire

Here's another well written article just posted on BBC News!

Wings of desire
By Jonathan Duffy
BBC News Magazine

Leaking windows, ill-fitting doors, sluggish performance... for a
car that was trashed by the press when it hit the road in 1981 the
DeLorean has aged remarkably well. Its creator may have died but the
car lives on. What's its lasting appeal?

Cars are the ultimate lifestyle purchase. What you drive speaks
volumes about who you are. The new Mini - jolly singleton; Ford
Focus - parent; anything with moulded spoilers - wideboy.

So what about the DeLorean DMC-12, one of history's most talked-
about cars, although not always for the right reasons?

"To drive one, it helps to have an ego the size of a house," says
Chris Parnham, reflecting on the two DeLoreans in his garage.

Such is the celebrity of the DeLorean that a simple excursion to the
local filling station can turn into a major outing, he says.

"You get mobbed. When you draw up at a junction everyone wants to
let you out first so they can tuck behind you and see what it is.
Absolutely nothing on the road gets the attention the DeLorean gets.
You see people's jaws drop."

 THE DELOREAN DMC-12

The DMC-12 took its name from the $12,000 price tag - it actually
sold for about $25,000
Because of US emissions standards, the DMC-12 was the first
production car in Europe to have a catalytic converter
The stainless steel bodywork is built of Alloy 304 - commonly used
in the catering industry
Costing a relatively modest 18,000 to 20,000 for a well-maintained
model - a fraction of the price of other head-turners such as a
classic Ferrari or Lamborghini - the DeLorean, it seems, is a car
for show offs on a budget.

The death, at the weekend, of John DeLorean, the controversial
American tycoon, will do nothing to detract from the buzz about the
cars that bear his name.

The saga of how this maverick industrialist took 85m of government
cash to set up a production plant in Northern Ireland in the late
1970s, only for the whole thing to collapse amid recriminations and
reports of lost millions, is one of those rare things: a truly
thrilling tale about politics and industry.

But while the DeLorean production line ground to a halt in 1982 as
John DeLorean himself was charged with cocaine smuggling - he was
eventually acquitted - the car itself lives on in the hearts and
garages of fanatics.

With its brushed stainless steel shell, gull-wing doors and low,
wide profile, the DeLorean was an exotic creature. Targeted at the
US market, it quickly won admirers. Talkshow host Johnny Carson, a
DeLorean investor, was among the first to be seen pootling around LA
in his DMC-12.

The press, however, was less gushing. Early DeLoreans were damned
for their leaking windows, erratic electrics and sluggishness. The
fancy doors, meanwhile, had a tendency to jam, says Chris Parnham.

Film role

The DeLorean was fast becoming a relic when it won a remarkable
reprieve - a starring role as the time machine in 1985's Back to the
Future, one of the biggest grossing films of the decade.

Chris Parnham and celebrity DeLorean owner Patrick Kielty
Martin Gutkowski was a teenager when he saw the film. Now 28, and
owner of two DeLoreans, he believes a recent resurgence of interest
in the cars is down to others like him fulfilling their childhood
dreams.

"A lot of owners, like me, saw the film when they were young and now
they've got the money they're living their dream."

Originally an IT engineer, Martin's passion for DeLoreans has become
a profession. He and a friend have set up a business in Southend,
Essex, importing, restoring and selling on the cars to a British
market.

It's lucrative work. Of the 9,000 or so DeLoreans built in the early
1980s between half and two-thirds are thought to be still on the
road, mostly in the US. But Chris Parnham, secretary of the DeLorean
owners club, says on average one a month is being imported back into
the UK.

The average age of club members is 28 - unusually young for classic
cars, he says. Their love of the Back to the Future series also
helps them bat off jibes about "flux capacitors" which are an
occupational hazard for DeLorean owners.

Like other DeLorean devotees, Chris would not be happy with just the
one in his garage - he owns two DeLoreans, one of which is a Back to
the Future replica, with all the additional pipework and jet-like
exhausts. Its capacity for travelling back to 1955 high school proms
is, however, so-far unproved.

Dave Howarth with the DeLorean once owned by John Taylor (inset)
As well as the ego factor he admits the whole John DeLorean image -
maverick, fast-living, dicey businessman - "only adds to it" when it
comes to the car's appeal. Owners, it seems, are happy to be
associated with John DeLorean, warts and all.

No-one though can hold a candle to Dave Howarth, 63, on the DeLorean
glamour front. One of his three DMC-12s used to belong to Duran
Duran bassist, and arch petrol-head, John Taylor.

Dave does steady business in hiring his cars out for local PR
stunts, especially if a company wants to convey a message about "the
future". Safeway, for example, once borrowed one to announce its
annual sales targets to employees, he says.

"It's a pulling car," says Dave, perhaps shedding more light on its
appeal to the twentysomething male market. But he sounds a note of
caution to any Lothario intent on impressing the fillies with a spin
in their silver dream machine.

"The wife has only been in it twice in the 12 or 13 years since I've
owned one, and it broke down both times."