From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2541
Date: Friday, March 25, 2005 4:11 PM

1. Not in the Washington Post
From: "neogeoslug" <neogeoslug_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Knowing Mr. DeLorean briefly
From: "Gregory K. Deeter" <Greg_at_dml_Deeter.US>

3. Re: Re: John DeLorean Interview Videos
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

4. In loving memory
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

5. RE: Re: Suggestions
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Re: Suggestions
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. RE: Suggestions
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: Suggestions
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Re: Delorean Tribute at JZD wake (article)
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

10. Re: Suggestions (Wading Through Messages - Scott M)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Suggestions
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: Re: Suggestions
From: kc <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Prowler Engine.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Want to buy a DMC
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

15. Re: Concours- was Blue Book Value
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Final Resting Place
From: "PIETROWSKI" <kritter_at_dml_toast.net>

17. DMCH in paper
From: kc <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. RE: Suggestions
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Road Trip
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. Valley of death - no more
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

21. Delorean Photoshop Contest on Fark.com
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

22. Re: Want to buy a DMC
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Prowler Engine.
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Re: Valley of death - no more
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

25. Re: Prowler Engine.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:29:36 -0000
From: "neogeoslug" <neogeoslug_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Not in the Washington Post

Just check Sunday's Post again, and just as I said before, John's
death was not mentioned.

Michael

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:26:11 -0600
From: "Gregory K. Deeter" <Greg_at_dml_Deeter.US>
Subject: Knowing Mr. DeLorean briefly

Hi folks,

While I sold my DMC, Ferrari, Porsche and BMW's a few years ago,
perhaps getting over mid age crisis (I now drive a vette vert so go figure),
I am very grateful that I got to be friends with John in 2000.   I'm not going
into much detail I'm just glad I got the chance.

John and I talked almost daily for months during 2000 through 2002.  I don't
know if anyone was aware but he was producing a new car, I saw the
blueprints.  It would have been the DMC˛.   Yes, DMC to the second power.
He was looking at selling high end Seiko watches for $5000 each, each
with a serial number, that the owner of the watch could use to purchase a
new DMC˛ with the matching serial number.    I helped him produce a
website.   Somewhere around the same time we were working on the
website the Houston company DMC Motors registered the domain name
DMC2.com.    The watch project (which I told Steve about) is why that
domain name exists.   They later abandoned the domain name and now a
cyber-squatter has it.

Regardless of any of the website issues, I am really grateful for the many
dozens of hours I spent on the phone and in person with John.   I learned
a great deal about his life and past, and he did of mine as well.   He was
a friend and now I just wish I had stayed in contact with him in the last
two years.    Life is short, ya get busy in other stuff, but time never stops.
On his 77th and 78th birthdays, when we talked,  he sounded like and
had the heart and drive of a teenager.

I was quite upset to see that he passed when I had not talked to him in
two years.   But at least in the few I did, it's something I will always
cherish.

Greg Deeter
Houston Texas

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:03:26 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: John DeLorean Interview Videos

Those videos make me sad to think what could have been.  Talking to
Fred Dellis yesterday, he was telling me of his involvement in this new
Chinese Car venture that Malcolm Bricklin is involved with, I believe
he said the importer's name was Visionary Vehicles.  As he was leaving
to head to the airport, he told me that he hoped to get John's new car
to market eventually, a topic that he brought up.  Maybe this project
isn't lost after all.  Time will only tell.

The dream is still alive,
Patrick Conlon
1880

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:53:34 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: In loving memory

I've seen several posts about a tribute to John, I have one suggestion. This
weekend drive your DeLorean. We don't need a parade, we are the parade.
Drive your car all weekend and let the world know the name John DeLorean
still lives.

Dave Sontos

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:07:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Suggestions

I almost never sign my posts...

"malevy_nj" should be enough to identify me..

But, I was laughing.

:)

How is this sig?

Marc Levy
001860: Legend Twin Turbo
006049: Stock DeLorean, "Garage queen"
006068: Former Island TT, soon a Prowler engine.

"Society honors its living conformist and its dead
trouble makers." ~ Mignon McLaughlin

--- Gary Hull <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com> wrote:

> Sooo...
>
> Should Marc's recent post about his posts being
> rejected have been rejected
> because he didn't sign it, or did it just lack
> credibility?
>
> Just kidding Marc!  I just couldn't let is slide :-)
>
> Gary
> IN2TIME

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:07:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Mike

Just curious - which portion of "the matter" do you
want to vote upon?

 1.) Moderator of the week identifying him/her self?

 2.) Rejecting any opinionated flaming of a fellow
     member?

 3. Truly identifying who your are?

And, after you identify which portion bothers you (it
must bother you a bit or else why the request for a
vote), isn't that concern addressed by another DMC
site (in which, frankly , I occasionally participate)?

When I joined this site (very early) and when you
joined this site, the rules were already in place.  I
think that what I have suggested is nothing more than
a return to  what those rules hope to achieve.

 --- James?  a comment?  --

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:13:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Suggestions

Most of the "useful information" is in the archives...
  OVER, and OVER, and OVER again.

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:36:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>  1.) Moderator of the week identifying him/her self?

Moderators don't need to identify themselves.  They
simply should not be adding any "moderator notes" that
are any sort of content.  It is OK to note that they
have edited the message in some way, or that they are
going to close the thread...  but not to add their
personal opinion to a message they don't generate
themselves as any other user has to.

>  2.) Rejecting any opinionated flaming of a fellow
>      member?

I have a problem with any proposal to
"reject a flame".  This is way too general.  The term
"flame" would first need to be defined...  Something
more clear, like rejecting any name calling is more
appropriate.  For example, that message about Video
Bob could have been sent without the name calling and
it would have been just as effective. (even though I
am sure I have been guilty of name calling in the
past).

One could call your reply to Mike below a "flame"
because you have challenged him.  I have no problem
with it, the DML has had discussions like this since
the beginning.  I think it is a good thing.

>  3. Truly identifying who your are?

While it is nice to require people to truly identify
who they are, there is simply no way to enforce this
and therefore not worth trying to do. (IMHO, of
course).

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:44:05 -0600
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Tribute at JZD wake (article)

Rich,

It was great to see the support from the owners at the wake. That little
idle problem my car was having that we mentioned to you got worse on the way
home, Mark and I had to re-adjust the mixture screw to get the car to stay
running at and idle. It ran great once we did that, and was fine the rest of
the way thankfully. I don't think it liked the cold weather and considering
I am missing the heat stove and everthing after than I think it complicated
things. I generally don't drive my car in the winter, but this was the
exception.

I put 850 miles on my D on the trip to Detroit (14+ hours of driving), and
considering it has been off the road for over 10 months and I had to put it
back together in one day I am pleased. But missing the wake wasn't an
option, and the car had to go.

Take care,
Mike Polzin
VIN #4761 and others..

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:52:55 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Suggestions (Wading Through Messages - Scott M)

I highly recommend reading the List online via Yahoo. This saves you
from deleting anything. Also has the advantage of displaying Yahoo ID
alongside message subject, which allows you to quickly decide whether
or not to read a post by sender reputation as well as topic.

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:10:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Suggestions

To the several who gave me emails of private support
to my "Suggestions", Thanks!

I'd prefer to see both agreement and disagreement
posted to the DML, for that is the way to move ahead.

Dick Ryan

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:37:03 -0800 (PST)
From: kc <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I like that sig.
I'd like to know more about the Prowler engine
project.

They made just slightly more Prowlers than DMC12's.

Kevin
#4687 mostly stock
Houston

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:14:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Prowler Engine.

Not much to tell yet..

I like to say "prowler" engine because it sounds cool,
the engine really came from a LHS...  The same engine
was used in a number of mopar products over the past
few years.  Concorde, 300M, Prowler, LHS, Intrepid
R/T, and others.  Best I can tell, the engine is no
longer used now that the LH platform is gone.  Do they
still make the prowler?

The project has been on going.  Probably 3 years
already.  A lot of time was wasted getting a custom
bell housing fabricated.  The shop I hired to do the
work had both of my engines, and my trans for over 2
years.  I finally gave up and picked it all up a month
ago, with the bell housing about 95% complete.  I
still have some more work to do on it, mainly install
a bell-crank for the clutch slave cylinder (I flipped
the slave around 180 deg so it would fit better).

They also made the depth of the housing too short to
fit the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate.  The
measurement was based on the input shaft of the trans,
but they overlooked the fact that the crank shaft on
the mopar engine comes out further than the PRV, and
the flywheel is a bit thicker.  I will have to make a
1/2 inch spacer plate to compensate for this...  and
then either find a longer pilot bearing, or make a
custom input shaft that is 1/2 inch longer.

Just last week I got the flywheel back.. which I had
to have drilled to mount the DeLorean pressure plate.
Even something simple like that took a month!  When
you have to rely on outside help for machine and
fabrication, it takes at least 4X as long as it
should.

After that is all mounted up, I still have to make
some motor mounts...  then the hard part, building a
ECU to run the engine.  It is 100% computer
controlled.

There is still a lot of work ahead, so who knows if it
will ever get done.. and if it does, will it even
work?

When I started this project, I wanted to be able to
show it off at the MEMPHIS show.. Yes, Memphis the
2002 show!  A 1 year project has become a 5 year
project.  Good thing I still have another DeLorean to
drive!

Marc
#06068 (since this is the topic of discussion now).

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:36:29 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Want to buy a DMC

I bought a pre-owned Delorean from DMC in Houston and I love it.  The
car is everything they described it to be and more.  Stepen and James
were absolutely top-notch to work with and went out of their way to
ensure that I was completely satsied with the experience.  I can
recommend them without hesitation.

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:19:52 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Concours- was Blue Book Value

 Understood Robert, actually the car was in superb condition when I
got it. It only had a bit of a hot start problem that I was aware
of...Rob ran in through the mill and rejuvenated it I also lowered the
suspension, the Zillas were installed then too.
if I remember correctly his words were "Its amazing how little
deterioration there is considering its age" The car is really in
stellar condition at present it needs a drivers door window motor but
I'll have them both done. The NCT's have been swapped and stored for
Michelins and the leather is glove soft. I start in 2 -3 times a week
and care for it rather religiously. Took it out on tuesday as a
matter of fact. Ultimately all Im saying is that I would like to keep
this car in as great shape as I can and ensure that its around long
after Im gone.

Harry and 2696

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:43:46 -0500
From: "PIETROWSKI" <kritter_at_dml_toast.net>
Subject: Final Resting Place

According to the original new stories, John was supposed to be put to rest at the White Chapel Cemetery, 621 West Long Lake Road in Troy MI. ( White Chapel is a very LARGE cemetery. Located on Long Lake between Crooks and Livernois. It is a very well kept, active cemetery. Stopping at the office for a map is HIGHLY recommended. Office hours M-F are 8-4, Sat. 8-12. Gates are open Mon - Sat 8-6, and 10-6 on Sunday.) Keep checking out www.findagrave.com, he usually has the latest updates within a week or so.

John Pietrowski
VIN #4945
Temperance MI

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 05:48:07 -0800 (PST)
From: kc <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMCH in paper

The Houston Chronicle
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3101452

Kevin #4687

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 05:56:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi Dick.  I agree 66.66%

1.  There should be an attempt to moderate uniformly.
If having the moderators identify themselves will help
identify where we might need some tweaking, then
that'd be great.  (Overall I think they do a great job
and definitely don't envy their roles.)  Keep up the
good work guys!

2.  This truly is impossible to police.  As long as
all of this is online and free, it's just too easy to
create alternate identities.  That said, I've always
signed my posts and would encourage others to do the
same.  I think it make for a more friendly and
personal atmosphere.  Even though we've never met, I
feel more like a friend of Dick Ryan than "Darkstar"
(just an example.)

3.  Content.  This is the biggest issue.  I really
couldn't care less what a person's signature is.  If I
have a problem with my Delorean and a person with the
no signature and an email address of
"nunya_at_dml_I_Love_Monkey_Farts.com" posts the correct
answer, then this list has served it's purpose
perfectly and I'll be sending a "Thank You" to Mr.
nunya.  We just need to find a way to get rid of the
posts that are creating the tension.  People may
disagree. (Buy vendor parts/Use Autozone reman.
parts), but to me that, in itself, doesn't create
tension.  It's when the tone starts getting personal.
The list displays everyone's email addresses.  So if
someone wants to respond with a personal message, it
should be done off-list.  The personal slams on-list
are just chest-thumping ego trips in an attempt to
demonstrate who can come up with a more witty insult.

Have I come up with a formula for exactly what needs
to be filtered out?  No, but I think as a group we
could get closer and, in doing so, end up with a
better, more enjoyable list.  (for most)

Steve (not associated with
www.I_Love_Monkey_Farts.com) Stankiewicz

VIN 02650
"Project Delorean"
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:46:26 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Road Trip

Next Weekend (Friday and Saturday 4/1-4/2) I'll be driving from
Baltimore/WashingtonDC area back to Chicago, making a stop at Ken's
(Cincinnati) on Friday night. Anyone along the way want to meet for
coffee ?(I'd say a beer but not in the middle of an all-day drive.)
Route looks to be 70 to 68 to 79 to 70.

I'm picking up a car (not another DMC!) so it's a one-way drive.

Contact off-list if you like.

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:05:01 +0100
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Valley of death - no more

Hi everyone

While working on my engine (water pump rebuild) I decided to something about
the valley of death. Even though the engine has low miles and it was a crate
engine installed in a car about five years ago there was already some deep
corrosion in the deep holes in the valley of death. Knowing what might
happen after a while I decided to plug those holes before its too late. I
have seen an engine where the corrosion was so deep that a crack formed into
the oil passage and the car was loosing oil at a rate that prevented it from
driving. It would empty the oil pan in a minute through that crack in the
block. What I did was I filled the holes and the entire valley with high
temp automotive silicone and put an aluminum plate on top. I made sure that
the plate sits at an angle sloping down towards the rear so any water will
just run off to the back. BTW, I custom made that plate myself to make it
fit exactly. Then I painted everything with high temp black paint. I am very
happy with how it came out and I recommend everyone does something similar
before it becomes a big $$$ problem.
I uploaded a picture to the photos section on Yahoo. It's in the main
folder, called "valley of death".

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:25:15 -0500
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Delorean Photoshop Contest on Fark.com

It appears that with all the recent Delorean attention, Fark.com has been running a "photoshop a delorean" thread.  Check out the entries.  (Yes...some are not favorable to JZD, but others are creative....)

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1409437

Kevin Abato

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:31:40 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Prowler Engine.

Hi Marc

Take a look at www.sdsefi.com - the website isn't quite as good as some
of the more sxpensive systems, but it's worth downloading the manual.
Personally I think this is the easy bit, but I haven't done it either yet!

Martin
#1458 (getting a Renault 25 turbo PRV)

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:34:40 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Valley of death - no more

Anything is better than letting it fill up with road dirt and old
coolant though, so I'm sure this will help. I have also seen cars
where the top of the engine has rotted through.

I'm not a big fan of filling in the holes, my thought is that when
the filler ultimatly breaks down it will hold moisture in there even
moreso. My preference is to clean it up as best I can, including wire
brushing and solvent, and then paint the valley from head-to-head
with POR15.

The cover deflector plate is a great idea! Did you happen to take any
pictures of that?

Dave S

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:04:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks for the link..  I have been to that site.

Have you used their products?

The only product they have that may do what I need is
the EM-4 6F ($1400).

The mopar engine uses coil-on-plug setup, so I need to
keep the stock ignition coils.  The SDS system
requires that I use their wasted spark coil pack which
will not work in my configuration. With this setup, I
would still need some external ignition hardware (even
if I do wasted spark, I need to drive 2 coils!)

My biggest problem with these systems (most of the ECU
systems I have looked at) is they just want to sell
you the unit.  They have no desire to work with the
customer to get the product to work on the specific
engine.  Worse yet, if I cant get it to work I am
stuck with an expensive door stop.

What is even more strange, none of these systems have
ever been fitted to this engine.. And it is a very
common engine (at least over here it is).

--- Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Marc
>
> Take a look at www.sdsefi.com - the website isn't
> quite as good as some
> of the more sxpensive systems, but it's worth
> downloading the manual.
> Personally I think this is the easy bit, but I
> haven't done it either yet!
>
> Martin
> #1458 (getting a Renault 25 turbo PRV)
>
> Marc Levy wrote:
>
> >After that is all mounted up, I still have to make
> >some motor mounts...  then the hard part, building
> >ECU to run the engine.  It is 100% computer
> >controlled.
> >

> >Marc
> >#06068 (since this is the topic of discussion now).

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs