From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2546
Date: Monday, March 28, 2005 9:55 AM

1. RE: Re: Headlight switches
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. car mysteriously dies - still!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: More unwanted grounds...
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. car mysteriously dies - still! OOPS
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. RE: Re: Headlight switches
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Help me!!!!!!!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Headlight switches
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: car mysteriously dies - still! OOPS
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: Headlight switches
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. BTTF SET UP I NEED ONE HELP
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Headlight switches
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: car mysteriously dies - still! OOPS
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: car mysteriously dies - still!
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

14. Re: car mysteriously dies - still!
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Re: WTF????????
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

16. RE: Carolinas Club forming
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Re: Headlight switches
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

18. Re: car mysteriously dies - still!
From: <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

19. Re: car mysteriously dies - still!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. RE: Re: Headlight switches
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Rear Window
From: "thebrave65" <ssawyer37_at_dml_cox.net>

22. Re: Wrecked DeLorean.
From: J---F <voodoonova_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: car mysteriously dies - still!
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

24. Re: Rear Window
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

25. DeLorean Photo Shoot
From: "landsmanphotog" <Gary_at_dml_LandsmanPhoto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:24:44 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Headlight switches

BTW- if anyone needs another headlight switch NOW, in an emergency,
I have a a brand new one, that I switch out the caps on.
So it is a new switch with a used cap, with the paint rubbing off.
If anyone NEEDS it, let me know.
- Videobob

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:16:09 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: car mysteriously dies - still!

Group,

Last week I posted on here about how my car has been randomly dying ever
since I took it out of storage last week.

To recap, here are the symptoms:
1. Car will start up fine, hunt, then settle down like normal.
2. At seemingly random times the engine will quit but all accessories such as
lights and radio are unaffected.  the engine just dies.
3. Car will never restart immediately.  Takes from 15 seconds to a couple
minutes and then it will restart.
4. While the car is dead, I have attempted to tap major running parts and
connections to find something loose that could be causing it.  i can find no
positive correlation.
5. While the car is running, I am unsucessful in causing the engine to die on
purpose by tapping parts, jiggling wires, etc.
6. I used to think the problem was vibration induced because once as soon as
i shut the driver's door the car quit. however today I just had the car idling
in my garage and it died about half a dozen times.
7. Someone suggested my ignition switch may be bad. With the car running, I
can't get the car to die by banging on the steering wheel so I don't think
that's the problem.

In celebration of the Easter holiday today I spent some major quality time
looking for problems.

Today I did the following:
1. Checked all fuses and put dielectric grease on them
2. Greased and checked all relays.
3. Cleaned and greased the stud behind the rear passenger wall on the
inside-side of the colored junction box where all the brown wires go.
4. Cleaned and greased the aux positive connection on pontoon.
5. Used electrical cleaner and greased frequency valve, CPR, idle speed
motor, cold start, ignition coil, ignition resistor, and pulse coil electrical
connections.
6. pulled all spark plugs, regapped, tested compression, greased connections.
7. checked and tightened battery connections and negative terminal on rear
trailing arm ground point.
8. checked wiring at inertia switch
9. Swapped ignition coils to no effect. Car died with either coil. Also made
sure that the main coil wire was tight on both ends.
10. engine ground strap on engine cradle appears clean and tight (went
through this one last year).
11. used electrical cleaner and tightened all bulkhead harnesses on pontoon
by ignition coil.

This has me puzzled because the car didn't have this problem when I put it
away last fall, now it has been doing this ever since I took it out this spring.
 What's REALLY odd is that the car had this exact same problem last year when
I took it out of storage but it cleared up after a couple days and never did
it again. Until now that is. I filled the tank up with 87 octane and added a
bottle of Stabil to the gas last fall.

A couple other things I have noticed that might help is that the frequency
valve continues buzzing about 1/2 a second after the engine dies. Not sure if
this is normal or not. The engine usually runs for about 5 minutes until it
dies, and it has yet to die during warm up. It only does it once the car is at
operating temp.  I haven't noticed any warning signs today right before the car
dies but the day I took it out of storage, the RPM needle would jump once or
twice before the car died sometimes.  But I did see that when i turn my stereo
up pretty loud at idle the tachometer is much more jerky like the stereo is
interferring with it.  Also, at idle the exhaust smells richer than I remember it
being last year.  The engine doesn't run rough the rest of the time. It's
pretty normal until it dies.

I am considering replacing the RPM relay and the pulse coil because I believe
both are original. I measured ohms on the pulse coil and it gave about 685
ohms.  Is that right?

Any other ideas out there?

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:19:08 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: More unwanted grounds...

I don't have an answer for this, but the topic reminded me of something
I've been meaning to post. I've seen a few people asking about LED
bulbs for the headlight and hazard switches, and I haven't seen
reference anywhere for the type of LED bulbs to use, so for those of
you that want to put LEDs in there I found that a type 74 LED bulb
works ( http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?
product=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=4874754.1229&next=50 ...about 2/3 of the
way down the page). I tried super white, red, blue, and green and for
some reason when I used any color but green it blew the #8 fuse.
However, green is the color I really wanted to use anyway, as it looks
pretty much exactly like having an incandescent in there, so it all
worked out. If this knowledge is already out there then forgive me for
re-posting it.

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:24:25 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: car mysteriously dies - still! OOPS

Oops,

I forgot to say the most important thing!
When the car dies and will not restart, I pulled a plug wire and had a friend
crank the ignition as I stuck an allen wrench in it and put it up to the
intake manifold. There was no spark.  So, the problem is definitely that I am
loosing ignition and is not fuel related.

Sorry about leaving out this critical information.

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:28:25 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Rich & Bill, The problem is that the switch hasn't been improved so you will
be buying what you already have that will melt again. The switch saver will
stop the melting and destruction of the headlight switch.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 04:37:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Help me!!!!!!!

You are absolutly correct in that you should check to make sure the
timing marks and the index scale is accurate. You don't have to do it
the way the manual says though. You can do it the "old fashoned" way.
Pull # 1 plug and rotate the crank to bring it up to TDC. You can
stick a dial indicator in the spark plug hole and find TDC that way.
Then just compare to the indexing scale. You can also get close just
by eye. A degree or 2 is no big deal.

> Make sure all 6 spark plugs are firing (put your timing light on each
> one, as close to the plug boot as possible. Also pull the plugs for a
> visual inspection).
>
> Make sure base timing is correct. But be aware that your scale could
> be off -- ran into a couple of cars this weekend with scales that
> needed to be re-indexed (in which case you're going to have to time by
> ear until Valley of Death is accessible. There's a re-indexing
> procedure that requires removing a block plug in there).
>
> Make sure your firing order is correct.
>
> Bill Robertson

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 04:57:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight switches

Perhaps you misunderstood -- my whole exterior light circuit (within
the car) had to be rewired. The short circuit melted wiring under the
console as well as the switch itself (and the harness connector). I
took the opportunity to add another relay for the side and tail
lights. Now, the only voltage passing through my switch is the relay
trigger signal -- 15 milliamps. And even that is fuse protected now!
Don't anticipate any future problems.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 04:44:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: car mysteriously dies - still! OOPS

Well, now you at least know which system to troubleshoot! Check the
plug going to the pick-up coil and see if there is power to the
ignition ECU when you have no spark. You could also have a loose/dirty
connection on the ballast resistors or maybe you need a new coil. Just
a couple of things to look at.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 04:41:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Correct me if I am wrong (I have not seen John's headlight relay) but
it will not help with your blowing the indicator bulb.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> .....not to be a schill myself, not that me and Hervey have made up yet,
> but he sells a headlight relay switch that takes the load off the switch
> and keeps it from melting.
> The problem might be that you have put in some hotter bulbs,
> or your wireing is a little loose and getting hot.
> It's on his website.
>
> - VB

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:55:28 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: BTTF SET UP I NEED ONE HELP

There is a school function near here that is doing a BTTF theme
The school girl who called was so nervous and excited that she found a
DeLorean that I had to say yes to her schools Back to the Future Day.
She was in charge of it and asked if I could bring a car Her parents are
bringing her by my warehouse Tuesday since she has never seen a DeLorean.
Everyone told her she could not pull off getting a D.
I think that is about to change.

Does anyone have some of the BTTF components I can use in the car for the
weekend of April 28th and 29th

I'll pay the shipping

E-mail me privately

PS I will be using one of the cars I am considering for the raffle so this
could be fun.
Car runs fine just need to clean it up a bit. (83 auto black )other  possible
raffle car is 5 speed 81grey

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:14:11 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> We need 134 more orders so pony up guys! I want my new headlight
> switch!

Exactly, even though the switch isn't overly improved any, think of
the bigger picture here. Wouldn't it be nice to also have new
headlight switches available for cosmetic issues as well?

Along with hardly no NOS switches available, and the eBay scum
wanting $90 apiece for one. It would be nice to have them available.
As long as most of us occasionally drive the car, and do so
occasionally after the sun goes down, there is a good chance we
might need one.

Better to have one and NOT need it than need one and NOT have it.

I managed to secure 2 NOS ones before the Houston offer for repro
ones. I still ordered the first headlight switch because after
owning classic mustangs for years, it is always a good idea to
support vendors that make restoration parts for cars, especially for
a market as limited as ours.

What would the Delorean owners rather have, faded old looking
switches protected by in-line fuses, or nice NEW switches protected
by the same inline fuses? If I had a choice I'd rather have
something that looks nice, AND is functional.

The inline fuse fix is great, but why not have the switch also look
nice in the process, or serve at minimal as a cosmetic backup till
the mechanics in the switch fall apart if the electric part doesn't.
ANY moving part will wear out eventually, that's a fact.

It would be nice to have the option of NEW switches available,
instead of jerry-riggin' the old ones forever. I just hope the
community gets off their ass and supports this option we have before
it is too late.

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:16:12 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Check to see if you have about 10 volts going to the coil when your cranking
the engine over to start it.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:29:24 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: car mysteriously dies - still!

My car had this problem, and it was the impulse coil in the ignition
distributor.  Measure the resistance of it right after it dies and
won't restart.  I bet it won't be 600 ohms anymore.

> Group,
>
> Last week I posted on here about how my car has been randomly
dying ever
> since I took it out of storage last week.
>
> To recap, here are the symptoms:
> 1. Car will start up fine, hunt, then settle down like normal.
> 2. At seemingly random times the engine will quit but all
accessories such as
> lights and radio are unaffected.  the engine just dies.
> 3. Car will never restart immediately.  Takes from 15 seconds to a
couple
> minutes and then it will restart.
> 4. While the car is dead, I have attempted to tap major running
parts and
> connections to find something loose that could be causing it.  i
can find no
> positive correlation.
> 5. While the car is running, I am unsucessful in causing the
engine to die on
> purpose by tapping parts, jiggling wires, etc.
> 6. I used to think the problem was vibration induced because once
as soon as
> i shut the driver's door the car quit. however today I just had
the car idling
> in my garage and it died about half a dozen times.
> 7. Someone suggested my ignition switch may be bad. With the car
running, I
> can't get the car to die by banging on the steering wheel so I
don't think
> that's the problem.
[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:12:19 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

I had a car in with a similar problem and what was absolutely mad was
that it died when pushing the brake pedal. it turned out that one of the
pins inside the plug going to the interia switch was falling out and
making an intermittent connection. Moving the carpet was enough to kill it.

Otherwise I'd recommend re-crimping (not just cleaning) the connections
to our ballast resistor and coil

Martin

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:37:25 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: WTF????????

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
We were just as suprised as anyone with the new format change...

Mike G  Moderator of the Week
*****

You guys read my mind...took me a minute to realize that the format is
back asswards to what it used to be.  The new graphics are a nice
re-fresh.

Moderators...do you guys have any control over these changes?

Thanks!
Dave Jacobs

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:52:29 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Carolinas Club forming

As a preview (since I had to sleep all day Sunday) I have uploaded a few
pictures from our first gathering and Tech Session to the photos section
(under NC Tech Session).

Will hopefully have the rest of the photos on my site in the next day or
two.

Michael

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:03:49 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

The switch saver is a good idea but we should still have the switches
available. They may physically break from use and still need
replacing. The plastic is 25 years old and getting brittle from age.

For the record, mine melted down due to excess resistance in the
circuit from filthy fuses, relays and the contacts on the switch
itself. My headlight switch contacts were green/black. Once I cleaned
all of that, the temperature difference in the wiring and at the fuse
was very noticable.

As far as just installing a hazard switch as a replacement, some of
us simply want the option of using our parking lights when parked,
and not turning on all of the lights. Still, information like that is
great to have if you're in a pinch.

Rich A.

> Rich & Bill, The problem is that the switch hasn't been improved so
you will
> be buying what you already have that will melt again. The switch
saver will
> stop the melting and destruction of the headlight switch.
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:21:07 -0500
From: <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Hey Andy,

I was going to post on this same issue- my car started doing this same thing
yesterday.

I have had this kind of problem before in another car I had, and it turned
out that the distributor pulse coil was failing in it's own special way.

Could this be the problem here?

Thanks!

Eric Itzel

> Last week I posted on here about how my car has been randomly dying ever
> since I took it out of storage last week.
>
> To recap, here are the symptoms:
> 1. Car will start up fine, hunt, then settle down like normal.
> 2. At seemingly random times the engine will quit but all accessories such
as
> lights and radio are unaffected.  the engine just dies.
> 3. Car will never restart immediately.  Takes from 15 seconds to a couple
> minutes and then it will restart.
> 4. While the car is dead, I have attempted to tap major running parts and
> connections to find something loose that could be causing it.  i can find
no
> positive correlation.
> 5. While the car is running, I am unsucessful in causing the engine to die
on
> purpose by tapping parts, jiggling wires, etc.
> 6. I used to think the problem was vibration induced because once as soon
as
> i shut the driver's door the car quit. however today I just had the car
idling
> in my garage and it died about half a dozen times.
> 7. Someone suggested my ignition switch may be bad. With the car running,
> can't get the car to die by banging on the steering wheel so I don't think
> that's the problem.

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:58:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Your still burning last years fuel??  Maybe this is
the problem..

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:01:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

John,

in this discussion of light switches, I saw someting
(was it Bill?) about the light in the switch NOT being
fused.  Does your kit address the problem of no fuse??
 or is it just to take the high amperage load off of
the switch?

--- John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:

> Rich & Bill, The problem is that the switch hasn't
> been improved so you will
> be buying what you already have that will melt
> again. The switch saver will
> stop the melting and destruction of the headlight
> switch.
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:33:35 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <ssawyer37_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Rear Window

My DeLorean has some exessive engine noise and it turns out that the
rear window is coming out of its seal.  I can tell by just either
washing it (and get soap/water on the inside) or just by simply
pressing the window itself and see it move.

My question is how can I go about fixing this?  From what I
understand, that rear window is a funny animal and is possibly part of
the support structure.

It looks like the PO may have tried to use black silicone to seal it
up because there is some gooped-up in the seal area.  It didn't work.

Is this a vendor-service shop fix or does anyone know of a glass
company that has expeirence with the DeLoreans rear window?

Johnny

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:49:41 -0800 (PST)
From: J---F <voodoonova_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wrecked DeLorean.

I do see one around here in Henderson once in a
while...younger looking guy driving it.

i saw it on the 215 here last Tues....

-justin

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:29:10 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

On Mar 27, 2005, at 10:16 PM, Soma576_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> Last week I posted on here about how my car has been randomly dying
> ever
> since I took it out of storage last week.
>
> To recap, here are the symptoms:
> 1. Car will start up fine, hunt, then settle down like normal.
> 2. At seemingly random times the engine will quit but all accessories
> such as
> lights and radio are unaffected.  the engine just dies.

> <<snip>>

> Any other ideas out there?

Check for an intermittent open in you ignition ballast resistor and
associated wiring.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:06:59 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Window

I loaded up around the edges with black silicone a year ago, and its
still sealed and much quieter.  Looking back at it, I should have taken
it to an autoglass place, had them remove it and reseal it properly.  I
used to have water run in under the window.  Apparently all of the
early 81's had a rear window seal problem as I understand it.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:13:31 -0000
From: "landsmanphotog" <Gary_at_dml_LandsmanPhoto.com>
Subject: DeLorean Photo Shoot

We are trying to locate a DeLorean in the Maryland DC Northern VA
area to photograph for
the cover of the Baltimore Advertising Association Awrads booklet
sometime in the next
week . Please email if you have a car in great shape that we can
photograph THANKS!!!!