From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2547
Date: Monday, March 28, 2005 10:27 PM

1. belt buckle inquiry
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

2. Re: car mysteriously dies - still!
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

3. Re: Headlight switches
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

4. Re: Re: Headlight switches
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Rear Window
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Headlight switches (Hazard Switch In A Pinch)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Re: Re: Headlight switches
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Re: Headlight switches
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

9. Re: Headlight switches
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

10. RE: Re: Headlight switches
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: Help me!!!!!!! (Ignition Timing Scale)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: car mysteriously dies - still! OOPS
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Headlight switches
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

14. Searching for past DOA President
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Fuel guage problem
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. Re: WTF????????
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. Re: Searching for past DOA President
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: My tribute to John : DMC Prototype Running!
From: "Gregory K. Deeter" <Greg_at_dml_Deeter.US>

19. Re: WTF????????
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Searching for past DOA President
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Fuel guage problem
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: WTF????????
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Headlight switches
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:40:55 -0500
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: belt buckle inquiry

There was not sufficient interest, at the time, to proceed with belt buckle production.

Marv.
#17707
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:59:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: car mysteriously dies - still!

Reading your post brought back a couple of years of frustration with
the same problem.  I tried several things over the years and think my
problem was three-fold:

The simplest to check is the RPM relay with a 3-spade jumper
temporarily replacing the RPM relay.  If the car won't start before
putting in the jumper but will afterward, then it's the RPM relay (a
common problem).

If the car doesn't start after putting in the jumper, I'd look for bad
contacts, bad coil, etc.  I use a good battery contact cleaner followed
by a coating of dielectric grease on the contacts.

After installing a new RPM relay, I later had a return of the no start
problem and traced the problem to the pickup coil in the distributor.
If decide to replace this coil, be sure to get good instructions as
there are a lot of ways to make things worse when disassembling the
distributor.

Good luck,

Woody

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:57:04 -0600
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: Re: Headlight switches

I remember picking up a new headlight switch in DMCH's then
newly-acquired Columbus warehouse, just because the cap on mine was
slightly faded.  They had a huge box full of these switches (along with
another bin of dash boards, binnacles, and LH torsion bars too, I'm
sure).  For simplicity, I just swapped out the cap on my old switch.
Then about a year later, my original switch failed on a whim!  I had
the new one on hand, but If that scenario were to recur today, I'd be
out of luck!

It's scary to think that such a seemingly trivial, but really quite
important part is extinct.  I just pre-ordered one and for me, it was
worth the $40 (assuming that the reproductions are indeed produced)
just to eliminate my own paranoia that my current switch will break!

Travis Graham

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:51:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Headlight switches

Some of us don't need a headlight switch right NOW..
So why pay $40 to keep one sitting on the shelf??
Maybe in 5 years when I need one, there will be some
$20 alternative that is a better design..  Or maybe
DMCH will decide to lower the price based on some
criteria that no one could even imagine now.

This is the reason I don't hoard parts..  That $2000
torsion bar you have sitting in your garage may be
worth $500 next year if someone remakes them or comes
up with an alternative.

Just look at what the reprint of SSI did to the value
of that "rare item".

It is unclear to me why DMCH decided to remake so many
other items on their own, yet this one they demand
pre-orders.  Did they demand preorders on the fuel
sender?  the door handles?  the window switches?  I
don't recall so.  What makes the light switch
different?

I support the efforts of all vendors to remake parts,
but don't ask us to take the risk for your profits..
I'd be happy to make an investment in a project if
there was a generous return on my risk.  Otherwise, I
can take that money and gamble it in the stock market,
or even the lottery..  My odds are better.

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:10:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Window

Doing glass is really a specialty best done by the people that do it
every day. The "right" way to repair it is to completly remove it
without breaking it, clean up the glass and the sealing surfaces,
primer all of it, apply sealer and reinstall the glass. It can become
a very messy job and there is the danger of breaking the glass. The
professionals also have the right tools like a heated electric
caulking gun. In most big cities there are service companies that will
come to your house and do it in your garage. It will cost in the area
of $100-$150. If the fiberglass is loose along the bottom of the rear
window it IS very noisy. Push down on the fiberglass, if it moves you
need to reseal. Any good glass service should be able to do this job,
it is not special to Deloreans. If you have any exhaust leaks it will
be all that much more noisy too. The $100 or so will look cheap if you
try to do it and break the glass.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:18:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight switches (Hazard Switch In A Pinch)

Please be aware that in a pinch I don't think a hazard switch is
directly compatible with the stock headlight switch harness connector.
Pinouts are different as I recall. Will work with wiring modification,
but is not "plug & play".

Of course in a pinch the harness connector itself can simply be
jumpered. Note however that quick connects are slightly smaller than
1/4", and there are two lines out -- if concerned you might want to
make a suitable size 3 way jumper ahead of time.

Another alternative is to jump the headlights on from the relay
compartment. Won't give you side or tail lights, but the car could
probably be driven home with the hazard circuit flashing.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:18:05 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

I just ordered mine as well.  Think of it this way, if they don't get
enough $$ to remake it, we get our money back and we are helping out
Michael J Fox's foundation to find a cure for Parkinsons with the
interest earned from that money.  Its a win/win situation for everyone.

Go buy one today!

http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch.asp

-Patrick C.
1880

On Mar 28, 2005, at 10:57 AM, Travis Graham wrote:

> I remember picking up a new headlight switch in DMCH's then
> newly-acquired Columbus warehouse, just because the cap on mine was
> slightly faded.  They had a huge box full of these switches (along with
> another bin of dash boards, binnacles, and LH torsion bars too, I'm
> sure).  For simplicity, I just swapped out the cap on my old switch.
> Then about a year later, my original switch failed on a whim!  I had
> the new one on hand, but If that scenario were to recur today, I'd be
> out of luck!
>
> It's scary to think that such a seemingly trivial, but really quite
> important part is extinct.  I just pre-ordered one and for me, it was
> worth the $40 (assuming that the reproductions are indeed produced)
> just to eliminate my own paranoia that my current switch will break!
>
> Travis Graham

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:49:34 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

Marc, I think the problem is profit.. How much profit is there if you have
to spend lets just say $50,000 and wait 10 years to sell enough to break
even. A headlight switch is so inexpensive that there is not enough profit
to make it advantageous to put out the initial investment. Add to that the
fact that they don't sell a ton of them (look how long it is taking to get
enough pre orders). I can understand how they would rather invest that
capital in other things. I think the concept of letting it sit on the shelf
was based on the good of all owners. By having an extra switch sitting
around we guarantee the availability of this part in the future.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:24:24 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Risk? What risk? You pay $40 you get a switch and free shipping.
Prices on switches go up to $50 once they come in. If switches aren't
made, you get the $40 back.

http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch_new.html

http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch_faqs.html

We aren't "demanding" pre-orders from anyone - the two pages listed
above have been available since the beginning and explain this.
Headlight switches are a low demand item, as explained in the links
above, whereas door handles, tank senders, switches, clutch masters,
brake masters, slave cylinders and others in our line of repro parts
have higher "turn" rates.

Put your $40 in the lottery or stock market, Marc. I don't want it and
you wouldn't spend it here anyway.

James

(SNIP)

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:31:39 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

No, It just takes the load off the switch, If it's shorted and burning out
the bulb, then he either has the wrong bulb ( 5 volts  ) or a direct short
to ground.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:27:17 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Help me!!!!!!! (Ignition Timing Scale)

Joe Palatinus' was *OFF*. I mean base time _at_dml_ 20 some odd degrees by
the scale off. Moving him forward by ear brought the biggest grin (and
squealling tires) I've seen in ages.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:40:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: car mysteriously dies - still! OOPS

When my previous car had this problem it turned out to be the lower harness plug behind the drivers seat. Plugs into a box. It would come loose and cause this. I secured it with a couple of large wire ties.

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

Oops,

I forgot to say the most important thing!
When the car dies and will not restart, I pulled a plug wire and had a friend
crank the ignition as I stuck an allen wrench in it and put it up to the
intake manifold. There was no spark. So, the problem is definitely that I am
loosing ignition and is not fuel related.

Sorry about leaving out this critical information.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:51:30 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Well.

I'm certainly sorry that my simple observation and personal hope for
a replacement part turned into such a nasty fight. I used to post
often for advice and opinions. Lately, I'm afraid to even bother
because I'm tired of sifting through the hostility to find my
answers.

Since I initiated this thread, I'll close with my opinion:

I find Houston's solution to be an incredibly fair and innovative
approach. At no risk to owners, and at a benefit for MJF, they get
to "test the market" for a potential re-make of a part.

Unlike some people, I read about the tooling costs and the rate of
return and I understand the difference between the switches and the
dome lights and door handles. Also, unlike some people I have no
problem "hoarding" a $40 switch, on the odd chance that a $14.37
switch "might" come out 10 years from now. I also am not surprised
that a company would offer a lower incentive price, and then
increase the price. I do not consider a parts purchase to be
an "investment" in DMCH, nor do I expect a return on it.

Lastly, I do not feel that the DeLorean Industrial Complex is out to
financially break or oppress us, or that James (or any other vendor)
are constantly looking for a means to scam us for a nickle. Make a
profit? Yeah. Not the same thing.

I hope we rediscover the civil tone we used to have here.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "James" <james_at_dml_u...> wrote:

> Risk? What risk? You pay $40 you get a switch and free shipping.
> Prices on switches go up to $50 once they come in. If switches
aren't
> made, you get the $40 back.
>
> http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch_new.html
>
> http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch_faqs.html
>
> We aren't "demanding" pre-orders from anyone - the two pages listed
> above have been available since the beginning and explain this.
> Headlight switches are a low demand item, as explained in the links
> above, whereas door handles, tank senders, switches, clutch
masters,
> brake masters, slave cylinders and others in our line of repro
parts
> have higher "turn" rates.
>
> Put your $40 in the lottery or stock market, Marc. I don't want it
and
> you wouldn't spend it here anyway.
>
> James

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:31:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Searching for past DOA President

Since this list has a far reaching network I was wondering if any of you know one of the past Presidents of the DOA, Gil Moreno?   He was instrumental in my going for my first car back in the late 80's.   His wife is Geri and one of his daughters name is Merry Jane.  I am interested in looking them up after all these years and thought I would put it out there in case any of you know where there are in California.  Gil and Geri used to live in Thousand Oaks.

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:06:10 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel guage problem

I took out the harness that goes from the connector in the washer box
to the fans, horns fuel etc. and removed the wrap. Found that the
ground going from the main connector to the ground cluster was all
kinds of melted, must be another PO thing...Anyway I replaced the
whole wire and cleaned everything up, re-wrapped the wire and
reinstalled. NOW my situation....The fuel guage works finally BUT,
with the sender empty and float all the way down- the guage goes past
the 0 mark and stops at my pin; and the orange/yellow warning light
doesnt come on. When I turn the unit upside down so the float is all
the way at the top; the guage only reads a little over 3/4 a tank. I
have DMCH's senging unit, is this still wiring or could it be that the
unit is just defective? Thanks for all the past and future help!
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:11:50 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: WTF????????

Come on guys, the new format isn't that bad at all. I like the new
appearance. At first I didn't like the message preview below each post
heading but now its great, you can read a little and see if you wanna
read it or not. So what? We have to scroll a little bit to see every
message-big deal, how hard is that-especially if you have a mouse
wheel. At least one that doesn't mind change...-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:35:50 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Searching for past DOA President

Have you tried contacting John Truscott from the Association?  Since
he's the membership director, I'll bet he's a good place to start
your search.

His number is here:
http://www.delorean-owners.org/doa/join.html

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:46:47 -0600
From: "Gregory K. Deeter" <Greg_at_dml_Deeter.US>
Subject: Re: Re: My tribute to John : DMC Prototype Running!

Steve - Thanks, yet that link does not work.   Says :

Error
GROUP_CHECK

Do you know if there are any other photos or information about the
prototype on the Internet?  I
never even know someone had one of them.

Greg

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:11:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I have long ago acknowledged that when you have and use a computer you
must accept change. But change for it's own sake is rediculous. Now
when you click on "messages" you no longer see the # of each post
unless you go into it. The order was reversed so now "previous" means
the next to last post. The font was reduced. I don't need the color.
"Back in the day" when this list was first started it looked lke a dos
prompt on a blank screen. We have come a long way but I don't have to
agree with every change fousted on us for what I can see is no obvious
benefit. My vote is for the way it was (for what little it probably
matters).

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:56:46 EST
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 03/28/2005 5:43:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:
Since this list has a far reaching network I was wondering if any of you know
one of the past Presidents of the DOA, Gil Moreno?   He was instrumental in
my going for my first car back in the late 80's.   His wife is Geri and one of
his daughters name is Merry Jane.  I am interested in looking them up after
all these years and thought I would put it out there in case any of you know
where there are in California.  Gil and Geri used to live in Thousand Oaks.

Thanks

Wow that is a name from the past!
 I met him in 1983-84 when I lived in West Lake Village.  I saw him at the
Thousand Oaks mall parking lot in front of Bullocks with his DMC. He was a very
nice gentleman. He told me & my Dad that the DMC dealership in Thousand Oaks
still had new DMC's for sale.
When I last spoke to him about 8 years ago he retired and moved to Sedona
Arizona. If you want is telephone number email me off list.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:36:59 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Something is wrong with the sender.

> I took out the harness that goes from the connector in the washer
box
> to the fans, horns fuel etc. and removed the wrap. Found that the
> ground going from the main connector to the ground cluster was all
> kinds of melted, must be another PO thing...Anyway I replaced the
> whole wire and cleaned everything up, re-wrapped the wire and
> reinstalled. NOW my situation....The fuel guage works finally BUT,
> with the sender empty and float all the way down- the guage goes
past
> the 0 mark and stops at my pin; and the orange/yellow warning light
> doesnt come on. When I turn the unit upside down so the float is
all
> the way at the top; the guage only reads a little over 3/4 a tank.
> have DMCH's senging unit, is this still wiring or could it be that
the
> unit is just defective? Thanks for all the past and future help!
> -----Dani B. #5003

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:09:24 -0000
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
I think we have established that the new look for Yahoo Groups isn't pleasing everyone.  Please forward any complaints directly to Yahoo, as I don't think they will find them here.  Consider this thread closed.

Mike G  Moderator of the Week

*****
To me, the format is nearly insignificant.  What really irks me is
that they spent time "improving" the look, but their newsgroup search
still sucks.  I just did a search, and this is what I got:

Searched Messages 50759 - 50759 of 50759
(of course, it didn't find what I was looking for)

Yahoo's priorities are all messed up, and they're out of touch with
their userbase.  Their intrusive advertising business model made this
obvious to me long ago.  We need to take our newsgroup elsewhere.
Google groups has a nice interface, and believe it or not, Google can
search more than a few hundred messages at a time.  With any luck,
we'd be able to cut repeat and "someone just asked that last week"
posts down to a minimum.

It looks like Dave has already created a couple of newsgroups on
Google for the DML.  Maybe you'll ask, "but what about the photos and
files sections?"  I won't miss them, but if we really need them, then
we can hang onto our Yahoo DML group for that purpose.

Aaron

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:45:33 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Irrespective of the fight, please do whatever is necessary to keep
your current switch/circuit from setting #5335 on fire...