From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2549
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:05 PM

1. refinishing windshield trim
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Re: Replacing Door/Roof Seals
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Help me!!!!!!!
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

4. Re: Help me!!!!!!!
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

5. Re: Valley of death - 3-in-one
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. RE: Re: Replacing Door/Roof Seals
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

7. Re: Help me!!!!!!!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. car mysteriously dies. Probably not fixed
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Re: My tribute to John : DMC Prototype Running!
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

10. Re: A Q for multiple Delorean owners
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. Re: Yahoo DML list reading (was WTF???)
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: car mysteriously dies. Probably not fixed
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Searching the DML archives
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

14. Re: Re: DMC (Florida)
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

15. Re: car mysteriously dies. Probably not fixed
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

16. Michigan Spring Get Together - Detroit Area - Reminder
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. FWD: Interesting page on the just-auto.com web site
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

18. SUSPENSION
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>

19. GMail (was WTF???)
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: Re: A Q for multiple Delorean owners
From: george caprita <dobedoc2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. personalities
From: george caprita <dobedoc2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Need some input Please
From: "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Yahoo DML list reading (was WTF???)
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

24. Re: Need some input Please (Salvage Delorean)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

25. Re: Need some input Please
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:25:08 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: refinishing windshield trim

Group,

I am looking for info on refinishing my three exterior windshield trim parts.
I am ordering new pads for the sides and new A-pillar weatherstripping too.

What is the best way to repaint these?
Should I remove the old paint first? any suggestions how?
Do I prime the strips first?
What kind of paint do I use when I am done?  I want it to look OEM.

Thanks for the help!

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:15:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Replacing Door/Roof Seals

Let me throw one more suggestion in for protecting the
torsion bars:  Get a short length of vacuum hose (like
1/8" i.d.) and slip it over the drill bit.  Trim it so
that the length of drill bit that sticks out is equal
to only the depth you want to drill.  Voila, no drill
bit to nick the torsion bar and a depth stop (just
don't push or you could compress the hose and go
deeper than you want.)

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:53:44 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Help me!!!!!!!

In my experience, these engines are a bit funny when it comes to free
flow exhaust-there is a point where there can be too much flow. A lot
of engines rely on backpressures for certain things and when you take
this pressure away, it will result in all kinds of mischief. If you're
coasting down a hill throttle closed and it is popping and backfiring,
then the others are correct in saying it is the exhaust system. Are
you using Alpine headers? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:25:28 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

If you have an empty catalytic converter, the car will backfire when
you let off of the gas. With an empty cat the exhaust gas will bottle
neck inside and pop or backfire. There are ways to prevent the
backfiring while keeping the empty cat, but will render the exhaust
system illegal. What kind of exhaust are you using? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:20:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Valley of death - 3-in-one

What I think you found in the cavities was not so much road dirt as it
was the dried up remnants of anti-freeze. On one car I did it looked
like golden sand, I thought the car was on fire once and someone
poured sand on it to put it out! When it gets wet it can turn acidic
and eat through the aluminum. The real problem is leaks which cause
the problem in the first place. The deflector plate sounds like a good
idea to me because it will make the leaks more readily apparant. The
way it is now if the leaks are small (which they usually are in this
area) you never notice them because the heat of the motor evaporates
the anti-freeze so you never see it under the car. It would be great
if you could stick the one you made in a photo-copy machine and make a
full size template.

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:36:55 -0800
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

I use a long drill bit to keep the drill chuck away from the torsion bar and
to get the correct angle. I also cover the torsion bar with a split piece of
clear tubing. I use a small brass tube around the drill bit as a depth stop
- with the added benefit that the drill bit spins inside the tube and not
against the torsion bar/covering.

Overkill?

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:26:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Mkae sure the spark plugs are all gapped exactly alike and do a valve
adjustment. It is important that all of the cylinders are balanced as
closely as possible. Do a compression test. If any are off more than
5% it will be difficult to get the motor much smoother at idle. Vacuum
leaks will also affect the idle quality because the leaks usually do
not affect all cylinders equally.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_y...>

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:33:24 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: car mysteriously dies. Probably not fixed

Group,

I posted yesterday about finding the idle ECU half disconnected, and I
wondered if it could be what is causing my car to die by itself followed by a brief
no-spark condition.  Well today I tested to see if the plug being disconnected
causes a no-spark condition and it doesn't. So, I guess that's not the
problem. On the other hand, the car hasn't had a single hiccup for two days now.
Perhaps a good cleaning is all it really needed? Or perhaps the problem is just
in hiding for another few months.

One thing I am wondering though is that my ignition resistors are probably
original.  what are symptoms of bad resistors?

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:31:04 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Re: My tribute to John : DMC Prototype Running!

It was just a link to the photos section of the fldmc Yahoo group. Go to the
group and you can view the album.

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:23:44 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: A Q for multiple Delorean owners

I've always said for DeLoreans to be such little cars, they have the
biggest personalities; and no two of them are exactly alike. I've
owned two DeLoreans: an '82 VIN 10115 and an '81 VIN 5252. Though
both were grey interior 5-speed cars they were vastly different
automobiles. I have lost count how many DeLoreans I've driven over
the years, but I can tell you no two are identical. No two have the
same feel in their clutch pedals or shifters. No two sound exactly
the same inside or accelerate exactly the same. No two have the same
exact ride height or shade of grey leather. Some D's regardless of
how much time and money you put into restoring them will continue to
develop problems, while others you can just get in and drive. Most
of these things can be accounted for through age,  maintanence,
storage methods, and the fact the cars were a constant work in
progress in the factory.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:34:59 -0500
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Yahoo DML list reading (was WTF???)

If you're fed up with reading the DML on Yahoo, get a Gmail account!
Gmail will sort all messages by discussion thread making it EXTREMELY
easy to read a single conversation over days or even weeks.  And
there's no intrusive ads, and you get a Gigabyte of mail storage
space.  Searching is a breeze.  I never use Yahoo to read any
"Group"...gmail is the way to go.  I have a few gmail invites
available, so if you would like to try it, reply to me off-list.

-Hank  #1619

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:59:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: car mysteriously dies. Probably not fixed

More than likely you have a dirty/bad electrical connection somewhere.
It may not bother you again or it may cause you trouble sometime in
the future. The best advice would be to just methodically go over each
and every connection and check that a pin didn't back out of a plug,
every connection is clean and tight, none were overheated and have
lost their "spring" etc. Since you found a plug not fully inserted you
may have this condition elsewhere.

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:36:32 -0600
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: Searching the DML archives

Speaking of searching the archives... I made a simple plugin for
Mozilla/FireFox browsers that will allow you to search the DML archives
via the search bar of your browser.  This will save you that valuable
second or two of going through the DML site's search page (or Google
using site: commands), as well as put an almost-illegible DMC logo in
your search bar.  Trivial?  Perhaps.  But if you want it, take it:

http://www.noroads.com/delorean/downloads.php

Travis Graham

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:09:13 -0500
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Re: DMC (Florida)

I think the opening went really well. We were not only able to get tech
inspections on all our vehicles but were able to watch and learn from the
inspections on everyone else's vehicles. Nice catered breakfast & lunch,
LOTS of Deloreans. The new shop is top of the line and it will be great to
have parts so close to us in Florida. I shot a little video and took some
pictures that I hope to have available shortly. I am in the magazine
business and have been tied up with deadlines but will let everyone know
when the video is available.

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:20:04 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hi Andy.

You mentioned before that you measure the resistance of the
resistors, and came up with some numbers that didn't seem quite
right, but they weren't 0.5ohm.  Did you measure the resistors
disconnected?  This is the only way to get the correct resistance.
If you measure the resistance with them connected up, then you get a
measure of the total resistance in the resistor, coil, and the rest
of the circuitry.  The numbers you posted seems okay to me.

The resistor isn't likely to fail.  The ignition wiring is more
likely.  Perhaps plugging the ecu in fixed the problem.  I'd feel
good about it.

RIck.

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:41:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Michigan Spring Get Together - Detroit Area - Reminder

Just a reminder of this Saturdays Spring Michigan Get Together.
Not as hot as today, but the weather is supposed to be nice!
I'm traveling from almost 2hrs away so I will be there rain or shine.

More info below or here: http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/events.htm

Shannon Y
16506

-----------------
Date:	 Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:27:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject  Michigan Spring Get Together - Detroit Area

MI Spring Get Together
Saturday April 2, 2005
11am

...for those who MapQuest or MapsGoogle:
Panera Bread
26580 Ford Rd,
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
(Between N. Beech Daly Rd & N. Inkster Rd.).
Meet in the parking lot in front of Panera Bread (located in a strip mall)

Nothing formal or structured. Currently just 8 interested owners who want to get
together.
We will meet there, gab about DeLoreans, compare cars & customizations, grab some
lunch (doesn't have to be Panera, plenty of other options around). After lunch we
can continue to do what ever, go for a nice curvy drive nearby or off to Jame's
place for an impromptu tech session.

Note to the DCOers... MI is really close to Ohio, (hint hint, wink wink).

Shannon Y

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:57:47 +0000
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: FWD: Interesting page on the just-auto.com web site

** This article has been forwarded to you by James Espey (james_at_dml_delorean.com) **

DeLorean Story - The End

Read this article here:
http://just-auto.com/fd.asp?art=1080&lk=emf

Comment from Sender: One of the better stories I've read written in the days after JZD's passing.

The following links may also be of interest to you.
Click the link to read the article:

Feature of the Week:
Sharp slowdown in Japanese earnings growth
http://www.just-auto.com/fd.asp?art=1079&lk=emf

Report of the Week:
A global market review of fuel tanks - forecasts to 2010 (download)
http://www.just-auto.com/pd.asp?art=30365&lk=emf

To receive similar articles via email sign up at
http://just-auto.com/subscribe_large.asp for our
free Editor's Weekly Highlight

        EXCLUSIVE MARCH SPECIAL OFFER

 just-auto.com members get exclusive offers every month -
 such as free or reduced price automotive research reports.

  If you are already a member, take full advantage of your
  offer now, otherwise - sign up today.

  To benefit from the March offer, plus similar offers like
  this over the next year, simply go to

  http://just-auto.com/offer/

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:46:49 -0500
From: "Carl Davis" <carldavis_at_dml_familykia.com>
Subject: SUSPENSION

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has replaced suspension components(bushings, coil springs etc), and if there was any advice on which ones out there are the best?  I was also curious if someone could give me advise on which is better the Zilla products or the The Wings a loft products? Thanks for any help.  Carl

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:47:02 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: GMail (was WTF???)

I have 50 GMail invites - so if any one wants one, you can hit me up as
well  . .  .

Michael
Mcbabb (AT) gmail dot com

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:12:54 -0800 (PST)
From: george caprita <dobedoc2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: A Q for multiple Delorean owners

Hi, {personalities??} Have two "D"s #1 stainless Vin.5867-Oct.81- #2 black paint Vin.4033-sept.81. needed new battery,went to parts store,the one they came out with was bigger,he said this is what the book calls for. would not fit in first car,but fit perfect in other car.why? {moved both seats forward as far as possible}.
George

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:19:29 -0800 (PST)
From: george caprita <dobedoc2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: personalities

Sorry,forgot to state,# 5867 is a stick,#4033 is auto.    George

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:00:41 -0000
From: "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need some input Please

  I purchased an "81" D. from an insurance Co. The owner had removed
the intake to install a new water pump and hoses. Within the next few
day Hurricane Charley came through and ther was 2" of water in the
floor board and the engine was saturated with water. The car sat for 3
months before I purchased it.  The motor has froze up. I took the D. to
the new DMC in Bonita Springs Fl. after their inspection I was told
because it was issued a Salvage Title/rebuildable flood title it would
be difficult to resell. All S.S.Panels, all glass, and frame are in
excellent condition. If I have DMC get this car back in running
condition does anyone feel I would have a problem reselling this car in
the future? Who would sell car as a parts car, or put it back together.
thanks for your input. dan 3496

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:54:47 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I have 50 GMail invites so if anyone wants a GMail account email me at
snextime_at_dml_gmail.com  and i will send you a GMail invite.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:45:04 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Need some input Please (Salvage Delorean)

Dan (and others contemplating purchasing a Salvage Delorean),

In short, under normal conditions, a salvage/rebuildable car will
not carry the same value as a clear title car with the average buyer
and even less value to a car collector, unless it is an extremely
limited production car (less than 150, like the original GT40).

A salvage/rebuildable car (before being rebuilt) costs significantly
less than an equivilent clear title car, so you must have known there
might be a "catch" to this type of purchase.  Some states will only
let licensed rebuilders buy this type of car (but not Florida).

You also need to find out if the car was is a fresh water flood and
not just very saturated by heavy rains.  There is a BIG difference.
A lot also has to do with how much money you can spend or are willing
to spend to get this or any salvage Delorean back on the road.

If you intend on keeping the car, I would not worry about it much.
If you think you may sell it down the line, then you may want to
sell or trade it for a clear title car that needs some work and
you would eventually have a car that would sell with less hassles.

You did not mention if the car was an automatic or 5-speed manual,
which may also have an impact on sale price as a salvage vehicle,
especially if the car was in a freash water flood.  A manual trans
usually fairs better than an auto trans when submerged for a time.
If you put in a new or used engine, the trans should be inspected
before use, no matter the trans type.

If the panels and frame are as good as you say, don't part it out.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:31:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Need some input Please

It will come down to economics. It will not be worth much with a
salvage title. You will spend a lot of money on it to get it to run.
If you have to spend more on it to make it run than it will be worth
with a salvage title then it only makes economic sense to part it out.
In some States you cannot register a car with a salvage title, it is
only meant for use AS a parts car.