From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2551
Date: Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:55 PM

1. Re: FWD: Interesting page on the just-auto.com web site
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Rear Window
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. Re: Trying to capitalize on JZD's passing?
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: Searching the DML archives
From: kc <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Powder coating back of water pump?
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

6. Bearings; Engine
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

7. Northern California Event - Pacific Coast Dream Machines show
From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>

8. Re: FWD: Interesting page on the just-auto.com web site
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Need some input Please
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: BTTF SET UP I NEED ONE HELP
From: usa_djs_at_dml_webtv.net

11. RE: Need some input Please
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. seeking a Delorean
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. RE: Powder coating back of water pump?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: Bearings; Engine
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Can't get door open
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

16. DMC (Texas) Remanufactured cars now $37,500
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

17. RE: Can't get door open
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. All Gulf Coast Owners
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Can't get door open
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Can't get door open
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

21. Wide-angle door mirrors wanted please
From: "John Chapelhow" <chapelhow_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: seeking a Delorean
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:41:18 EST
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: FWD: Interesting page on the just-auto.com web site

Thank you James for a fantastic, refreshing and honest article..It's about
time someone got the story right!!

Chuck Darling

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:13:32 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Window

I did this to my car in fall of '03.  I have come to the conclusion
that the previous owner of my car shattered the original rear window.
(a few small glass bits under rear shelf) Since I bought the car there
was a lot of engine noise coming through the glass and water leaks
from it.  When the PO installed the replacment window they failed to
clean up the old adheasive and simply stuck it on using a round tack
bead. "Worst, Installation, Ever" is how I would describe it. I was
replacing the lower door strut mounts at that time, so I had the rear
quarter panels off making access much easier. Old window came out
without a problem (because of the tack bead, windows held in by
original adheasive still should be fairly difficult). It took a while
to clean up both the glass and the fiberglass. I purchase a caulking
tube of 3M medium viscocity urethane windshield adheasive ($10 at
NAPA) and after destroying two caulking guns, a $20 high-quality gun
from Home Depot (and a moderately heated tube) resulted in a very
strong and tight seal for my rear window. Road/engine noise has
dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. I have also noticed similar leaks around my
door windows, they are next in line.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:49:10 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Trying to capitalize on JZD's passing?

I'm sick of people trying to capitalize on John's death, with
everything from his autograph on eBay to people trying to get
outrageous sums of money for the car.  Especially articles saying the
value of the DeLorean is "skyrocketing" and what a great "investment"
it would be.  Honestly, I could care less if my car gains value or
loses it, because I never plan on selling it.  I plan on driving it as
long as I can, and honestly I look forward to refurbishing it again 10
or 15 years down the road once it has a little more wear and tear on
it, which is inevitable for a daily driver.  As the value increases,
more and more car collectors will buy the cars to stash in a corner of
their garage, hoping to sell the D in a few years for a quick profit.
The cars will probably sit neglected, with the usual problems we are
familiar with forming.  I would rather see the cars have a reasonable
price, so the people who love them and intend on driving them can
afford to do so.  As the value goes up, so will insurance, and I am
sure parts probably will over the course of time as well.  Also, a
random question, I noticed DMCH's car is $37,500 now.  Was this raised
from $35,000 before or after JZD's death?

Just my $.02 on the whole "value" situation.
-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:36:29 -0800 (PST)
From: kc <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Searching the DML archives

Awesome!
And for those who complain about the ads while reading
the DML online through Yahoo or online mail-- use
FireFox and get the AdBlock extension.
With that running it only takes about five to ten
messages, blocking that ad domain, and then poof! you
don't see any more. Blocking the whole domain, not
just that particular ad is a very important part.
Very clean, very nice. Now... just need a nice
Stainless Steel Skin/Theme for Firefox.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:01:04 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Powder coating back of water pump?

While kicking around the Valley of Death, water pump replacement was
at the top of the list. I would like to powder coat the back since I
found it full of corrosion, figured it was an ideal canidate.
My concern is the steel pipe nipple mounted in the cast aluminum.
Knowing that the metals expand and contract at different rates. Has
anyone ever powder coated one sucessfully?
Thanks,
Stephen

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:01:35 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Bearings; Engine

Anyone know if the engine main & rod bearings special to the DeLorean
engine, or are the same bearings used in the PRV installed in volvos,
primier, monaco etc? Thanks guys -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:21:55 -0000
From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Northern California Event - Pacific Coast Dream Machines show

To everyone in and around the San Francisco Bay Area,

We got our 2005 club season off to a great start with the DMC wine
tasting event a few weeks ago, and we're taking that momentum into our
next event, the 2005 Pacific Coast Dream Machines show in Half Moon
Bay.

There were five or six of us there last year, and it was a hell of a
show, to say the least. Over 2000 vehicles, and many more show
attendees. We got a lot of attention, and suffice to say we'll do the
same this year - especially if we can get even more cars there!

Registration is easy and doesn't cost much. See the website for
specific details: http://www.miramarevents.com/dreammachines/

Please RSVP with me as soon as possible (ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net), and we'll
figure out the rendezvous point later.

To recap:

What: The mega-huge Pacific Coast Dream Machines car show
When: Sunday, April 24
Where: Half Moon Bay municipal airport in Half Moon Bay
Who: Bay Area DMC owners and enthusiasts!

Thanks,

Ryan McCaffrey

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:05:37 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Good substantive article.  I suppose JZD's failure to court the U.K.
public was more a part of DMC's failure than has been recognized by
other journalists.  I remember from "Illusion" all the hay made about
Headquarters being in New York, and John's retort that the offices
were a bargain due to the economic situation at the time.  Still, it
goes back to what the article said about John being ultimately harmed
for his lack of P.R. to the "right" people, and how such a thing can
damage one's reputation to the masses in perpetuity.
I often wondered what John meant in interviews when he said, "I
realize that I have ZERO charisma" because it seemed so falsely modest
for such an icon.  I guess I'll take that to mean, "I should have
given Maggie a kiss on the cheek and things would have turned out much
differently."

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:32:21 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Need some input Please

Easy,

If you would like to keep the car, and are buying it for yourself
and not with the motive of turning a profit. Then fix the engine, go
over any possible electrical issue, and just keep the car.

I've bought many vahicles with salvage titles, fixed the few issues,
(never buy ones with frame/body damage)had them inspected, and then
use them like any other car. The only catch is that I saved
thousands of dollars versus the same comparable car.

Hopefully you got it for a good price, if so fix it, drive it, and
enjoy.

If you don't want the car, are you interested in selling it??
Pictures???

Joe O'Brien

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "allante932003" <allante932003_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>   I purchased an "81" D. from an insurance Co. The owner had
removed
> the intake to install a new water pump and hoses. Within the next
few
> day Hurricane Charley came through and ther was 2" of water in the
> floor board and the engine was saturated with water. The car sat
for 3
> months before I purchased it.  The motor has froze up. I took the
D. to

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:13:12 -0500
From: usa_djs_at_dml_webtv.net
Subject: Re: BTTF SET UP I NEED ONE HELP

That is so cool.  I wish I had one myself, because I wouldn't hesitate
to drive mine there also.  So I was thinking that maybe if anyone else
lives close by or near you that maybe they would consider also bringing
there cars or whoever has a delorean.  I think that would so impress
that school that we all are one big family of owners that are dedicated
to such a fine car.  It would also be a great honor on JZD behalf to now
have just your car show up also.  But surprise that entire school, the
girl and that town and media by having as many Deloreans show up.  I
think that would be one darn special day that not only she will remember
since they told her she couldn't get one, but having more of them show
up would be very impressive.  And if by the grace of God  I get one by
then.  I sure will drive mine there also.   Take care and GOD BLESS YOU
ALL and MAY EVERYDAY BE A "DELOREAN DREAM DAY THAT LIVES ON FOREVER."
JEFF

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:15:49 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Dan, With the proper restoration I don't feel it would be a bad investment.
You just have to weigh out what you paid for it and the cost of restoration.
That cost would depend on who does it, under what time schedule and to what
extent of work has to be done. I restored a V8 engine in a boat that had
sunk and it came out fine. Keep in mind the engine had or has oil in it that
will help protect the parts. I have a shop now that is restoring a blown
engine car and another one that has sat for some years. If it turns out to
be to much, then call me. 972-564-9321. We are now repairing cars also.

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:38:41 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: seeking a Delorean

Group,
I currently own a concourse style Delorean, #4984 that I have placed a
lot of time and effort into making very nice and Driveable.  It is..
I would drive it anywhere.
I am seeking a second lower end Delorean that is mechanically stable.
A painted one is fine, perhaps preferable.  My intentions are to place
a completely customized interior, paint job, and perhaps some
customized body work to make it an ultra modern Delorean.  I'm good at
and interested in body work, interior work, etc.  but, I would like
one that is mechanically fit.  anybody know of one of these? I've been
watching E-Bay and unfortunately, missed out on a very nice one in
Spokane, WA.  I live in Washington State.
Dale Funk

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:19:29 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Powder coating back of water pump?

Stephen, I have seen a lot of water pump backs. But I have never seen one
that has leaked from the tube inserted into the back.  I have seen the tubes
very corroded and needed replaced, but not from expansion. If it was going
to leak it would began to corrode from inside out because of the coolant.
I don't think going to the trouble will help in the corrosion of the tube,
but it would look better, but who would see it.

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:00:37 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Bearings; Engine

Same as Volvo B28F or E (over here). Not the later even-fire lumps though

Martin

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:51:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Can't get door open

I'm sure there has been one or several posts on this, but could not
find one.

My driver's side door has decided to only partially unlatch.  How do I
get it to open and prevent it from happening again.  This occurred
after I locked the door.

Thanks,

Woody

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:11:01 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) Remanufactured cars now $37,500

The price change actually went into effect March 1, and was a result
of several different things - slide of the dollar against the pound
and euro (some of the things we buy come from the UK and EU),
extensive refinishing to the underbodies now being done, and the new
two-year powertrain warranty on all of these cars being the most
significant factors.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

(SNIP)

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:28:33 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Can't get door open

When this happens to me, this is what I have done.
I hate to admit this, but you can gently "kick" the door near the latch with
flat side of your
foot to push the door in, or bend your knees and lean your butt into the
door and press as hard as you can while locking/unlocking the door.
If you can open the other side, go in and roll down the windows so that you
can
reach in and operate the lock and the handle, and have more to grab on to.

You have to understand what is going on, the door lock is hung up on one of
the latches
because the door latch on one side was not all the way closed, now the lock
is hung up.
You need to get the door to close all the way while jiggling the lock free.
Sometimes I need to shift the lock back and forth a bunch of times.
Once it catches, it wil spring open, but do not try to force the handle or
you could break it off!

In a worse case scenerio, you might have to crawl in from the other side,
pull the door panel off from the inside, and manipulate or even remove the
door lock rods from the inside to open the door. I had to do this once, and
it was a BITCH.

This problem is usually caused by your strikers being out of alignment.
The trick is to usually move them out, and not in.
This gives more for the door to bite onto.
Some cars simply never get a perfect alignment.
I think it is due to age and hot weather, I think that the whole body, over
time will begin
to bow like a boat and warp from age and heat, or from slow separation of
the top and bottom
halves or something, because I have seen cars that just don't fit together
right anymore.
I don't know if this possible, I could be completely full of shit! (which is
most likely) - LOL

Try leaning into the door and unlocking it.
That's what I always do.
- VB

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:05:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: All Gulf Coast Owners

Hey everyone.

The Bellingrath Gardens are having a car show this
Saturday from 7:30am to 5 pm.  It is a HUGE show; I've
heard about it on the radio and TV.  I'm going and so
is Casey.  If any other owners are in the area, come
on down guys - you won't be alone.  Here's the
website:
http://www.geocities.com/mobilebaymustang/Camellia.html

Not a lot of information, I know, but it's enough for
me to go.  If you are coming, tell me.  We're looking
at getting our own little patch of land so all us
owners can hang out together.  I've heard ALOT of cars
come to this, so it'd be worth the $25-$30 to get in.
See you Saturday.

Jeremiah

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:33:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The easiest thing to do (what to try first) would be to make sure the
door is unlocked and then make sure it is cpmpletly closed. You may
have to push it to make sure. If that doesn't work then you have to
remove the trim panels and pull on the linkage inside to get it open.
There have been posts in the past on exactly what to push and pull. In
any case be careful, there are a lot of sharp edges inside the door on
which to cut yourself. After you get it open you should go over all of
the door adjustments and anchor pins. Do this on level, flat ground.

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:31:36 GMT
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

This has happened to me - I can't say I've fixed it, but I opened it up by carefully locking it with the key and unlocking.  I can't say I've noticed it get any worse.  It happens to me when I lock the car from the inside.  I've been meaning to look and see if anyone has had this or could give some insight.

I hope this atleast opens the door!
Luis

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:53:49 -0000
From: "John Chapelhow" <chapelhow_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Wide-angle door mirrors wanted please

All.

I would like to be able to buy some anti-glare, anti-blindspot (wide-
angle) door mirror glass. My 'modern' VW Golf includes the type of
style I'm after, eliminating the add-on/stick-on mirrors.

I have purchased the standard glass from DMCH and used that to
produce cardboard templates, unfortunatley I cannot find anyone in
the UK able/willing to manufacture such an item.

If anyone on the list knows of a company in the US who could produce
some please could you contact me, offlist if you prefer.

I have tried various search engines, without success.

Many thanks for you help

John Chapelhow
'Boeing' : #00737 : UK

chapelhow...at...hotmail...dot...com

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:41:56 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: seeking a Delorean

Hi there dale, funny you should write this email, I'm
in the process of selling my D.  Well actually I'm
just about to put it on the market.  Let me tell you
about it.  It's #3215, an 81 automatic with 30k miles.
 I had the front and rear fascias freshly painted and
they look perfect.  The body is in excellent
condition!  Here are pics of the car:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/doki_pen/album?.dir=/4daa&.src=ph&.tok=phSwswCBn1dj76cO

Lemme know if that links work sometimes I have trouble
with it.

As you can see in the pictures the car overall is very
nice, it does have a couple of flaws on the interior
as I have displayed, but you said you wanted to
install a custom one anyways.  The engine runs prefect
and has been lovingly cared for.

This car is super original, in fact I think it even
has the tires on it from when it was new, if you tell
me what to look for I can let you know.  The guy
before me "half assed" alot of the repairs so I set
them all straight.  For example, the otter-stat broke
so he ran a switch up under the dashboard.  The
steering column bushing broke so he welded a strip of
metal to the column and bolted it to the firewall.  (I
have pics of all this stuff if you're interested).

part's I've put on it:

Otter-stat
Plugs, wires, cap
Rebuilt front calipers
New master cylinder
Steering column bushing
New alternator
New Fuel distributor O-ring seal
Engine cover stay assy
Complete strut lift kit for entire car

I also have a box of spare parts and cleaning kit for
the exterior of the car.  Also have a dash mat and
seat covers (both well worn) for the car.Anyways, let
me know if you're interested, I'd much rather sell it
to someone on the list before I'd put it out to the
public.  BTW, I am planning on advertising it on the
list first before I stick a for sale sign in the
window.  But now that your email popped up I figured
I'd shoot you an email first.  So basically, you're
the only one on the list that knows it's for sale.

Jon Weiner