From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2557
Date: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:12 PM

1. RE: Hub nut torque...
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

2. Re: Hub nut torque...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Possible to repair these broken studs?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Ze Windshield, eet eeeez cracked!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. RE: Possible to repair these broken studs?
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

6. Re: Re: Headliner Repair
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Headliner Repair
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. Re: Possible to repair these broken studs?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Re: Burlwood Dash
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

10. Re: Re: The Second Fiddle Thread
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

11. Re: Re: The Second Fiddle Thread
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Re: The Second Fiddle Thread
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Burlwood Dash
From: "Hugh Halladay" <hhalladay_at_dml_cox.net>

14. DMC FLORIDA
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: DMC FLORIDA
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: DMC FLORIDA
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. DMC Headlight covers
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

18. Auto-enrichment??
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: DMC FLORIDA
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

20. DMC FLORIDA
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: DMC Headlight covers
From: tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com

22. Re: Auto-enrichment??
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. Re: DMC Headlight covers
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:34:11 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Hub nut torque...

The lug nuts need to be torqued to 65 ft lbs., no more.

Dave Sontos

Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:39:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Check and see if you have page A:03:02. If you do it is the 5th item
down in Front Suspension. If you can't find it there try J:13:01 again
the 5th item down.
 For the rear look at A:03:01 the 5th item down under Rear Suspension
or K:09:01 again the 5th item down.

Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:43:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Possible to repair these broken studs?

My technique is to grind or cut it flush, drill and tap the metal
plate embedded in the plastic, insert a screw and cut the head off. On
the spot you are referring to it is important to get them all lined up
exactly right. You could remove the metal plate that they fasten to
and use it as a template to locate all the screws on the facia. Use
Loctite to hold the screws in to the metal plate.

Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:46:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Ze Windshield, eet eeeez cracked!

Depending on where and how it is cracked there are windshield repair
services that can epoxy the crack so that it is almost invisible. If
the windshield did crack because of your jacking on one side it could
mean the frame is not as rigid as it should be and it should be
inspected for rot.

Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:45:33 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

I redid about 3-4 of mine already. Replaced them with stainless steel. First
you have to dremmel the plastic around the old bolt heads, if they are still
in there, and remove them. I used urethane two part epoxy to reglue mine
back in, nothing else will stick to the plastic. The first time I tried it I
foolishly used hot melt glue and forgot the hot muffler was right there,
that fix lasted about twenty minuts before the muffler heated up. You could
try Liquid Steel also.

Make sure you clean the plastic surface good before applying the adhesive.
The epoxy is going to run a little being in a verticle position, so use it
sparingly.

Dave Sontos

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:56:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Headliner Repair

Just wanted to add to what Joe said:  You'll notice
that on the parts that attach to the roof (not the
doors), the fabric wraps up around the fiberglass body
and under the weatherstripping.  If you take your
parts to an upholstery shop, make sure you let them
know to leave the material in those areas long.
Otherwise they might try to be helpful, trim them
short, wrap them around the back of the headliner
board end glue them down.  Then you'll be stuck with a
pretty headliner that you cannot install.  Hope that
helps.

Steve

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:02:16 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Headliner Repair

Tell 'em not to cut the hole for the front dome light  - the hole is
too big and the light will fall out. Cut it yourself.

And make sure they understand where to leave the loose edges so that
you can wrap it around the body edge.

BTW - in our higher cost part of the country it's more like $125 for
the same work (all 4 pieces).

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:37:03 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

There really isn't enough plastic to grab screw threads from the back.

See if Rich Acuti can send (or post publicly) a pic of my original
fascia, which lost all its bottom studs in Louie Golden's accident
(was launched 50 yards or so from the vehicle). Is secured now with a
row of stainless 6mm button head bolts passing all the way through
(nuts on the heat shield side). Look just like a row of rivets. Very
intentional looking (people who don't know DeLoreans think they all
left the factory that way).

Plenty of quality rear fascias are still available (Ken? Josh?), so
such a temporary fix is certainly reasonable. And there will be a
resale market for yours, at a slight discount, to others in the same
predicament (I've seen plenty -- the stock exhaust is a rear fascia
killer).

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:42:41 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Burlwood Dash

Roy,

I don't remember the name right now, but will see it again in September.

BOB

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 02:33:03 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Re: The Second Fiddle Thread

WEll, my "second fiddle" I guess, is a 65 Corvair 4door which we purchased
almost new and still looks and runs like new....incidentally also a 6
cylinder rear engine!  But there the similarity ends.  Then the 2002 Lincoln
Continental gets a few miles and a motorhome a few more.  Then last but not
least is the Segway which I have owned for almost two years and have put
about 3K miles on so far...Love it!!
Murray
Vin:  05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:53:06 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

(Perhaps this should signal the end of this thread. Bruce Benson, current moderator)

My second fiddle is my beloved 1988 Yugo GLV "Collectors Edition." Its
equipped with the optional $1.98 turbo that pump out a whopping 90bhp from the
normally aspirated 89 bhp engine!

The only issues I've had with her besides a complete car teardown & rebuild
is the rear end tends to sway so much that it completely swings the entire car
around... 180 style!  When this happens I let out a Yahoo!!!!  "Dukes of
Hazzard" style...I think its a bad ball joint.

Sincerely,

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

One of my extra "Fiddles" is a 1968 Camaro that my
parents purchased new in 1968. This was the car my
parents brought me home from the hospital in when I
was born.  I started working on it in 1987 when I was
15 as one of those "If I fix it up can I keep it?"
deals.  This past Febreary, my wife and I had our
first child and I brought her home from the hospital
in the same Camaro.

I really like my Delorean, but when it comes to
sentamental value, it's the Camaro, hands down.

Steve

--- Murray Fisher <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net> wrote:

> WEll, my "second fiddle" I guess, is a 65 Corvair
> 4door which we purchased
> almost new and still looks and runs like
> new....incidentally also a 6
> cylinder rear engine!  But there the similarity
> ends.  Then the 2002 Lincoln
> Continental gets a few miles and a motorhome a few
> more.  Then last but not
> least is the Segway which I have owned for almost
> two years and have put
> about 3K miles on so far...Love it!!
> Murray
> Vin:  05962
> Lic:  DMC-XII

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

Yahoo! Messenger

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:00:09 -0000
From: "Hugh Halladay" <hhalladay_at_dml_cox.net>

Roy
Try this link.  They used to do customs for about a (US)dollar per
square inch:

http://www.exoticwooddash.com/

Look in the 'molded, flat and custom' section.
...Hugh..
...5125..

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:24:08 -0000
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC FLORIDA

I've seen a couple of posts asking questions about DMC FLORIDA.

I went to Marco Island for vacation last week and the highlight of my
trip was the visit to see Tony and Steve at DMC Florida.

They spent 2 hours showing me the new shop, The Proto Type and his
Concours Delorean, he also gave me a 10 minute story on each of the
cars he had in his shop. (There were 9 to be worked on). The Proto
Type was awesome! Lots of history for this car and Tony has a lot of
information on it. After looking at the books and magazines it was
weird that I could look in the garage and see THE ACTUAL CAR.

Folks this place has all kinds of parts, new engines, doors, hoods,
and on and on... I sent Tony an email with the parts I needed and
picked them up while on vacation. Kind of nice huu...

I took many pictures but I don't want to steal their thunder so
unless there's a big calling for the pictures, I'll let them show you
the shop, the cars and the Proto Type.

No I'm tyring to promote the place, I buy parts from PJ Grady as well
and will continue to do so but I want everyone to know that if you're
on vacation in Florida, it will be well worth your time to take a few
hours and go see Tony, Steve, the shop and of course the Proto Type!

Thanks for nice visit guys.

Kirk Vin#02378

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMC FLORIDA

Where is this shop located in florida?

jordan
11613

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:27:03 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What is the full address for the Florida shop? I'm in lower Georgia
right now, and might be able to drive over some weekend.

Joe O'Brien

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:13:11 -0500
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: DMC Headlight covers

Does anyone know the person who is re-making these headlight covers? I am beginning to get concerned due to the fact that I did "Buy it Now" for them on eBay on the 16th of March and they still have not arrived. Did anyone else on the list order them from eBay and get them yet?

Mike Polzin

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:47:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Auto-enrichment??

Ok, here's the story.

I wanted to put my A/C belt on.  Through this process
once I was done, I was reconnecting the three lines
that go from the "coal canister" in the left of the
fiberglass body to their individual placements.  Got
two out of three hooked up - last one went under the
intake.  When I connected this one, the hose on the
right was hanging in my hand.  I realized the only way
to reconnect it under the intake was to pull the
"elbows" off the front of the intake.  So I did this
and reconnected the last line.  Put everything back
together the way I found it to a "t".

Started the car, runs fine when warming up from
100-160 - oscillates a little for 1-2 mins as normal,
then idles perfectly (I'm one of those "Non-Lambda
system" owners - O2 sensor is unhooked for a "smooth"
idle right at 800 rpms or so).  Now, my problem is
from 160 (first unmarked line) to 220 - the car begins
to RE-oscillate - as if it's running too rich while
warm.  It will do this until the cooling fans come on,
then of course it'll stop oscillating due to a load
being put on the engine.  Once the fans turn off, the
engine will slowly begin to oscillate again gaining
with the oscillations becoming stronger until the fans
come on again - over and over and over.

The idle once held perfectly steady in all gears, now
it does this.  In "D", it does still hold steady, but
in "P" it does all I described.  I don't know a single
thing I could have broken.  The only lines I remotely
tampered with are the 3 black ones that go over the
A/C Compressor.

One thing I have noted is if I disconnect the bottom
black line off the cold start valve, the engine will
idle perfectly in all gears, so somehow it has
auto-enriched itself.  I don't know how, and I don't
know what to check to lean it back down other than of
course the mixture screw.  Any ideas would be
welcomed.  Thank you.

Jeremiah

http://personals.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:49:41 -0400
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Re: DMC FLORIDA

DeLorean Motor Company (Florida)
9786 Bonita Beach Rd., Suite 4

Bonita Springs, Florida  34135

(239) 495-8550
(877) DELOREAN
Fax : (239) 495-8590

Email: tony_at_dml_delorean.com

http://www.dmcflorida.com/

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:35:45 -0000
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sorry folks, I should have given you the address and more information.

It's just off I-75 in Bonita Springs.

Here's the address:
9786 Bonita Beach Rd.
Bonita Springs, FL 34135

Store Hours are 8-5 Monday - Friday

Here's their web-site

WWW.DMCFLORIDA.COM

If you're going to pick up some parts, I'd send Tony an email in
advance at
TONY_at_dml_DELOREAN.COM

Now I've got the itch to go see Rob in New Jersey. Just don't think the
temperature will be quite the same though.

Kirk Vin#02378

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 18:46:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com
Subject: Re: DMC Headlight covers

Apparently the seller only ships once a week or every other week, so
shipping time may be longer than usual.  The covers that were sold on ebay
are also for sale on my site, and the same shipping process is being used.

Regards,
Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:50:15 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Auto-enrichment??

Vacuum leak. Make sure you reattached the charcoal canister lines
properly:
- Line from the tank goes straight into the canister (not through the
diaphragm on top)
- Purge signal from under the throttle plates goes to the diaphragm
- Evacuation line to the cold start tube is opened by the diaphragm on top

Also ensure your diaphragm doesn't have a hole in it.

A vacuum leak actually causes the engine to run lean. That's what
kills your fuel economy -- adjustments are made to bring fuel/air
mixture back to normal at idle (high vacuum), which then translates
into over enrichment at throttle.

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:19:26 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Are there any pictures of what the clear covers look like on a
DeLorean?  I would be curious to see what it makes the front of the car
look like.

-Patrick C.
1880