From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2558
Date: Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:42 PM

1. Rob in NJ??
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Pheasant Run update
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

3. RE: DMC FLORIDA
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

4. Re: Parking Brake Noise -- Fixed I think!!
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Pheasant Run update
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

7. vacuum leaks
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

8. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. I'm selling my car !!!
From: "Brandon" <stainless_illusion_at_dml_insightbb.com>

10. Re: Re: Parking Brake Noise -- Fixed I think!!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Manual trans Cross Gate Cable Adjustment vs the Console "front panel"
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. RE: vacuum leaks
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Re: Parking Brake Noise -- Fixed I think!!
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

15. DeLorean Featured Marque at Celebration Concours April 30
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Re: I'm selling my car !!! DCS
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Ship or Drive
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

18. Re: Pheasant Run update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

19. RE: vacuum leaks
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. RE: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

21. Re: vacuum leaks
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 05:51:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Rob in NJ??

Rob, in New Jersey??  We could only wish!!

PJ Grady is in West Sayville, New York.  Which is on
the south shore of Long Island.

Oh, and it was 75 degrees here yesterday, and will be
again today.  The weather is very nice!

<SNIP>

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:56:42 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Pheasant Run update

Ken,

I know a guy who has a 6 foot tall flux capacitor. !   He made it for
his kids Barmitzfer and a BTTF 4  movie!!!

He might be interested in bringing it to the show.

BOB

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:40:02 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: RE: DMC FLORIDA

What Rob is in New Jersey?  I know Rob Grady is in West Sayville, NY...
Maybe a bit confused???  Kidding of course.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Sorry folks, I should have given you the address and more information.

It's just off I-75 in Bonita Springs.

Here's the address:
9786 Bonita Beach Rd.
Bonita Springs, FL 34135

Store Hours are 8-5 Monday - Friday

Here's their web-site

WWW.DMCFLORIDA.COM

If you're going to pick up some parts, I'd send Tony an email in
advance at
TONY_at_dml_DELOREAN.COM

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:11:36 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Parking Brake Noise -- Fixed I think!!

Alright, this morning I was all ready to jack up the rear of the car
to take the back wheels off. I put some small wedges behind the
wheels to drive up on (the only drawback to the Eibach springs is
that my jacks won't fit under the car when it's sitting on the
ground -- otherwise they're great) and had the jacks ready to go,
etc...

So I sat in the car and was about to start the engine, and turned the
key just to position 2, (and had it in neutral for the moment) and
thought I'd give the parking brake release handle "one more try"
before cranking the engine. .... ..... And it released all the
way with ease!! I was astonshed, but most happily so.
(After further inspection since my last post, I saw that the brake
handle was stopping 2 clicks short of the bottom. Now it was all the
way).

Since it's raining today, I can't drive the car to make sure the
squealing is gone, so I'm only celebrating an 80% victory at the
moment. But I still feel very lucky that I seemingly got away with
another "easy" fix. :)

Thanks Andy for your response.

-Derek L
VIN 5302

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:50:20 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Here is a link to a very realistic one you can install yourself for
$510. (looks really cool).
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.feagan/fluxcap.htm

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:14:48 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

I am looking at a Delorean next Tuesday in VA.  I live in MA.  If I
decide to buy, I am hesitant to drive the car back the 500 or so
miles, due to age and me not being familiar with the car.  The owner
says the car is great running condition, with no mechanical issues.
He has taken it on 100 mile trips, but never as far as 500 miles.  Do
I take a chance on driving the car back to MA, or do I spend the $700-
900 to ship it back?  If I need to ship it, what service provider is
reliable, trustworthy and affordable?  I don't want a banged-up car or
a burnt-out clutch arriving at my doorstep.  Thanks in advance for any
feedback on this issue. - Paul

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:38:34 -0500
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: vacuum leaks

I've noticed a couple of postings concerning bad idle and performance due to suspected vacuum leaks.  This is a constant topic of conversation with owners and mechanics that call DMCH for tech help.  The intake of the Delorean's PRV can be tough to seal.  There are a lot of places for it to leak, some of them obscure.  I talked recently with a shop that had done what I considered to be an extraordinary job of finding a hole in the system.  By clamping of hoses, they had traced their rough idle to a crack in the rigid vacuum line running forward from the right side of the engine to the front of the car to feed the brake booster.

The lesson is that as the car gets older, there will be different and new places for it to malfunction.  Let's not forget that engine vacuum puts the power into the power brakes and pulls the flaps that direct hot and cold air from the dash.  The hot water valve is modulated by vacuum.  All of these places are potential trouble spots whose only noticeable effect is on engine performance.

By the way, we have those vacuum lines in stock. Part number 100416, $15.49.
Click the link-see the picture.
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=108&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:02:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

Go for it..  Drive it...  AAA membership is a good
investment.

If you run in to trouble in NJ, give me a ring.

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:56:26 -0400
From: "Brandon" <stainless_illusion_at_dml_insightbb.com>
Subject: I'm selling my car !!!

I put my car on eBay for sale and have already had a bunch of emails asking
" Why are you leaving us Brandon ? "   Ok,  I'm not leaving the Delorean
people that have been hanging around with for 8 years or so.  I'm selling my
81 and going to start working on a " related project ".  Anyway,  the eBay
Item # is :  4541966614 .   Many have ask me over the years to let them know
if I sell it,  well,  I'm letting you know !

-Brandon Moody

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:20:19 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Parking Brake Noise -- Fixed I think!!

Derek,

While you may find that the trouble is temporarily fixed, I would still suggest jacking the car up on a rainy afternoon and inspecting/cleaning the entire parking brake system.  Your life with the car will be much better when the parking brake works correctly, not to mention less wear and tear on the transmission, CV joints, rotors, pads, etc.

Sometimes the rubber handle on the parking brake interferes with the carpet over the brake.  On my car, after I put the handle down, I always have to reach to reach down and slide the rubber into the carpet, or else the handle sticks up a notch.  The only way I can fix this permanently is to cut the rubber where it rubs, but for me, it only takes a split second for me to push it down so I don't worry about it.  It's just part of my starting-the-car routine. Just another place you may want to look if the handle seems to be sticking.

Good Luck!

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:26:47 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Paul,

Most guys on the list here will recommend that you ship the car home instead of trying to drive it.  If the car breaks down on the way home, transporting it home the first time would likely be cheaper especially if you have to factor in days missed from work!!

On the other hand, your new car won't care about 100 mile trip versus a 500 mile trip.  Once the car reaches operating temperature and the cooling system is fully pressurized, as long as everything is OK, there really isn't anything too major that can go wrong in 500 miles that didn't already go wrong after 100 miles.  The only thing I would be concerned about would be something like the fuel pump circuit overheating or the A/C blower motor flipping a breaker or overheating if you have the A/C on.

The question is, how much do you trust the previous owner about the car's mechanical prowess?  Has any other DeLorean owner looked the car over for you?  If not, you should probably tow it home - just in case.

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:06:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Manual trans Cross Gate Cable Adjustment vs the Console "front panel"

Thanks Jake, you're right before I got your response
back I went ahead and tackled the reverse problem and
was not only able to get access to the shift cross
gate linkage but was able to adjust and lube
everything!  Thanks for you great info, and I hope
someone else might be able to use it too!

Now I'm tackling a blown exhaust donut gaskett, and
that ain't as simple!

Mike
VIN#5781

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:22:55 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: vacuum leaks

An excellent way to trace down very elusive vacuum leaks is with a smoke
machine. It can find most leaks in miuntes. Not too many shops have these as
they are expensive, but if you are chasing a frustrating leak it may be
worth an hour's charge at some shop for them to hook one up to your car.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:28:13 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

I had this problem, the carpet surround for the handbrake wasn't properly in
the right position, when fitted correctly it raised it just enough to stop
any kind of further catching.

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:44:20 -0000
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: DeLorean Featured Marque at Celebration Concours April 30

Hello
This year, DeLorean is the featured marque at the Celebration Exotic
Car Festival, being held the weekend of April 30-May 1 along the
waterfront boardwalk of Disneys town of Celebration, Florida, right
across from Disney World.

It is our goal to assemble at least 30 DeLoreans for the event, and
after the show have a DeLorean only parade through the Celebration
area.

All net proceeds of this event are donated to Make-A-Wish. Last year,
$40,000 was raised and donated to Make-A-Wish, and eight children
with life threatening illnesses got their wish granted.

Please join us in in honoring JZD and our cars, and help these kids
at the same time. As an added bonus, Rob Grady will give everyone a
10% discount on all purchases made after the event, as well as a free
tech session at the concours.

You can elect to be concours judged (by Rob Grady himself!) or
display only. Their are multiple concours trophies, for both stock
and modified D's.

Please see our website to download the registration form at
www.celebrationexoticcars.com or you can return this e-mail to me
with the following information:

Name:

Address:

Phone:

Car Year, Make and Model:

EVENTS:

_____Concours $50 per car  (___Judged   ___Display Only)

_____Evening Black Tie (Optional) Fund Raising Gala $100 pp

_____Sunday Rally (Included)

_____Sunday Rally Luncheon and Awards $40 pp

_____Optional Additional Donation for Make-A-Wish ___$20  ___$50
___$100  ___$Other

Thank you!

Jeff Ippoliti

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:59:48 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: I'm selling my car !!! DCS

Well Brandon does this mean we don't get a piano recital out of you as we
did in PF

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:50:45 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Ship or Drive

Drive it with a caveat,

Be properly prepared in case of issues. Marc's statement about AAA was a
good one to get you off the road but also realize that most repair shops are
not going to have even the common repair items such as belts and hoses.

Do your homework, there has been compiled several times on this list the
needed emergency items to get you back on the road. Belts, hoses,
fuses...... Don't push it too hard before you get a chance to really check
it out completely once you get it home. Make sure of the fluid levels and
the fans are working. Above all, if it starts to overheat, do not drive it
as this is one of the few ways to quickly hurt a DeLorean PRV.

Welcome,

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 19:07:18 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

If you can get it why not we have plenty of room

a 6' tall flux capacitor would be interesting and I would not mind having  it
as a stage prop

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:16:56 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

As Warren say's that the vacuum is very important to the proper tuning and
running of the car. The CIS Fuel system depends on the vacuum to be correct
to help in the efficient running and fuel mixture. If you draw vacuum from
some other place in the system and the air flow meter doesn't deflect down
to the proper position then the mixture will be wrong.
I discovered this a long time ago and developed the Silicone replacement
hose kit for the complete engine compartment. It will last longer than
rubber lines and handles the temperature a lot better. Silicone vacuum hose
lines are rated at 250 degrees F.
I have the complete system for $49.95.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/Vacuum-silicone-kit-black.
jpg

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:48:05 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Why don't you rent a u-haul and tow it back yourself?

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 00:13:12 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

I suffered a similar failure in the hard plastic line under the
console to the HVAC mode switch. Totally barbeque'd the driver's side
plugs (passenger side intake rail feeds driver's side cylinders).
There's a pic in #5939's photo album. I'm lucky the pistons weren't
damaged.