From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2559
Date: Friday, April 08, 2005 3:04 PM

1. Re: Ship or Drive
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

2. Re: Hub nut torque...
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

3. RE: I'm selling my car !!! DCS
From: "Brandon" <stainless_illusion_at_dml_insightbb.com>

4. Re: DeLorean Featured Marque at Celebration Concours April 30
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

5. Another Good Article
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: Possible to repair these broken studs?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

7. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean (Belts)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: vacuum leaks
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Re: JZD in Autoweek
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Re: I'm selling my car !!!
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

14. Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "Steve Auyer" <sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com>

15. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

16. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

17. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "yesinfred" <yesinfred_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: JZD in Autoweek
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

21. DMCH Performance Engine
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

22. RE: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "Ed" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

24. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

25. Re: DMCH Performance Engine
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:11:28 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Ship or Drive

FWIW, State Farm offers towing insurance for a nominal fee  - I think
mine is under $5/year -  and will reimburse towing expenses to
<paraphrasing>  "the nearest facility capable of repairing the
vehicle."  I've had vehicles towed 100++ miles courtesy of State
Farm.

.......................LP
10440

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:44:48 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Hub nut torque...

I was talking about the hub/axle nuts #108514, but I'd like to thank
everyone for their responses and help. Turns out that the PO who gave
me this book had the pages installed in plastic sleeves, 2 pages per
sleeve. Well on some of the pages the second pages was put in
backwards so it just looked like the back of the first page. Never
really noticed this, till now. Thanks again though everyone, I'm going
to torque them tomorrow, although I'm not sure how I'm going to do the
rears with 270 ft lbs, my torque wrench only goes to
150...hmmmm....-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:02:30 -0400
From: "Brandon" <stainless_illusion_at_dml_insightbb.com>
Subject: RE: I'm selling my car !!! DCS

I'm still going to the show Ken,  and I'm sure many more to come.
So,  yes,  a piano recital is still on as long as nobody throws stuff at me.
Well,  Jake has to play also :)

-Brandon

Well Brandon does this mean we don't get a piano recital out of you as we
did in PF

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:16:55 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Featured Marque at Celebration Concours April 30

In a message dated 4/7/2005 9:03:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net writes:<<<<<

EVENTS:

_____Concours $50 per car  (___Judged    ___Display Only)

_____Evening Black Tie (Optional) Fund Raising Gala  $100 pp

_____Sunday Rally (Included)

_____Sunday Rally Luncheon  and Awards $40 pp

_____Optional Additional Donation for Make-A-Wish  ___$20  ___$50
___$100   ___$Other>>>>>>

Does this mean I can raise the prices on DCS for Chicago
LOL

Events like these need support just like DCS needs support. I can say one
thing you will be able to do all four event days at DCS for the same cost as
what is above.
Costs in Chicago are going to be a challenge but they should come out less
than Memphis did.

As far as the show in Florida I wish I lived closer where I did not  have to
drive two days each way for one day.  And I would not hesitate  one minute if
I could get down to FL for this weekend with my car to  attend.
I just have too much work to do this year.

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:07:58 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Another Good Article

While searching Google News, I stumbled upon this article.  Very nicely
written.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/motorsports/11322164.htm

-Patrick C.

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:18:29 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Possible to repair these broken studs?

This method sounds good to me, I'm gonna try it over the weekend.
Fascia is unbolted so I'm just going to remove it, probably be much
easier to work with it off. I didn't want to drill holes in the
plastic, and forgot all about epoxy. But this method seems the easiest
and one that should last. Thanks for all your responses and help
everyone----Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:

> I redid about 3-4 of mine already. Replaced them with stainless
steel. First
> you have to dremmel the plastic around the old bolt heads, if they
are still
> in there, and remove them. I used urethane two part epoxy to reglue mine
> back in, nothing else will stick to the plastic. The first time I
tried it I
> foolishly used hot melt glue and forgot the hot muffler was right there,
> that fix lasted about twenty minuts before the muffler heated up.
You could

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:26:36 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...> wrote:

> I am looking at a Delorean next Tuesday in VA.  I live in MA.  If I
> decide to buy, I am hesitant to drive the car back the 500 or so
> miles, due to age and me not being familiar with the car.  The owner
> says the car is great running condition, with no mechanical issues.
> He has taken it on 100 mile trips, but never as far as 500 miles.  Do
> I take a chance on driving the car back to MA, or do I spend the $700-
> 900 to ship it back?  If I need to ship it, what service provider is
> reliable, trustworthy and affordable?  I don't want a banged-up car
or
> a burnt-out clutch arriving at my doorstep.  Thanks in advance for
any
> feedback on this issue. - Paul

The prices you quote seem kind of high, maybe you should ask the seller
to split the difference I would not want my D to be broken down, even
if I was selling it. Where are you in Mass. I thought I think I am the
only one who owns a Delorean in Mass.

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:26:34 -0600
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

Paul,

I would definately agree with Andy.    Most problems that would happen
in 500 miles would be apparent in 100.    I bought my D in Phoenix,
and drove to Albuquerque, NM   about 800 plus miles.    but I took my
mechanic who knows the PRV system very well.   He did cut the A/C belt
as some of the idler pulleys were making noises, and he said it was
better to not have that belt break and get tangled in the other belt.
 If a/c belt looks old, or idler pulleys are noisy, just cut that
belt.

  I did get my A/C belt at PEP Boys and I also got the ALT bet at pep boys.

Good luck!   WELCOME TO D OWNERSHIP!..

RODNEY
VIN 3300

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 04:38:28 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean (Belts)

Please note that while the A/C belt is indeed optional, the alternator
belt is not. Without it, the water pump will not spin. Car can run for
quite a long time without the alternator, but not without the water pump.

FWIW: I drove my DeLo from its point of purchase in Philadelphia to
Washington DC for initial triage.

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 04:30:49 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: vacuum leaks

Not just K-Jetronic -- all fuel metering devices (including
carburetors) are unable to deliver a proper fuel/air mixture when
unmetered air is sucked into the engine through a vacuum leak.

If the leak is big enough (what I call "catastrophic" -- usually
anything more than 1/4"), the engine may not even run.

K Jetronic does suffer from a plethora of potential leakage points,
which you address with that comprehensive O ring kit. Note also that K
Jetronic PCV is constant (calibrated nipple vs traditional valve),
which I guess is the source of unconventional leaks through the
dipstick tube etc (Workshop Manual Page D:06:03). And as Warren and I
both attest, those big plastic lines to the front of the car can crack
and leak.

Old vacuum operated diaphragms are another common source of leaks. Our
cars have 3 in the HVAC ductwork under the dash, 1 each on the
charcoal canister, heater core shutoff valve, and ignition advance,
and a big one on the power brake booster. HVAC mode switch itself can
leak as well. Even though the vacuum canister is well protected, it
could be yet another source of leakage.

I've also seen several cars on which the plastic line to the heater
core shutoff valve is cracked, though that should only present a
problem at Max A/C (and a very small one at that).

A person would have to be masochistic not to replace every vacuum line
and seal whenever they are exposed for other maintenance (especially
if they are original from the factory!).

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/Vacuum-silicone-kit-black.
> jpg

performance due to

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:07:22 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: JZD in Autoweek

The thing here is it's not about what journalists print, and what they
don't print, nor even the inaccuracies in their information. It's
about how they present the information, in an effort to get their own
opinions across. Politics are perhaps the best example out there. You
can have two separate reporters write a their own stories about the
same event. And depending upon what their own political views are
about said subject, you will end up with two entirely separate stores.

Yes, you will have these two reporters state the same facts, but how
these facts are presented, will completely change the positions of
those involved, and thus the positive or negative light on on the
people, and/or the subject matter involved. And ultimately, will
influence you and how you feel about the subject. Last years
Presidential election is the best example of this. And hell, even if
you don't lie, you can easily exclude facts that hurt the opinion that
you want your readers to develop. Or even include semi-relevant ones
that help your political outlook.

Here is a perfect example.

Neutral:
8583 DMC-12 cars were built during the company's 2-year operation.

Negative:
Only 8583 DMC-12 cars were produced during the companies 2-year run,
before it closed among scandals of money laundering, and John DeLorean
being arrested on drug trafficking charges. During his trial,
DeLorean's high profile lawyer Howard Weitzman, who also successfully
got OJ Simpson acquitted, managed to get John DeLorean acquitted of
all charges, without him ever having to testify himself. Even after
they were produced, DMC-12 required many thousand of hours, and
dollars in warranty work, so that they could become roadworthy for
those people who ended up buying them.

Positive:
During it's two year run, the factory set in an impoverished area of
Northern Ireland, known as Dunmurray. Although this was the very
first, and in some cases only job that these workers had, they managed
to build 8583 DMC-12 cars in the two years that the plant was in
operation. Of this, it is estimated that well over 6,000 of these cars
are still on the road, and are driven by their loyal owners. It is not
uncommon to find that after 25 years, many owners still use their
DeLorean automobiles daily. They have proven so reliable in fact, that
some even rely upon them as their only mode of transportation! Later
on John DeLorean was arrested by the FBI on charges related to drug
trafficking. He was acquitted by a jury of 12, when it was proven that
he was entrapped by the government. A common belief shared among many
DeLorean owners and enthusiasts is that it may possibly have been the
"Big Three" in Detroit who were scarred that DeLorean posed a serious
threat to them. Much in the same way as to what happened with Preston
Tucker, as he seriously criticized Detroit's lack of concern with
consumer safety in his book, "On a Clear Day, you can see General Motors".

Now, take in all three stories that I wrote above. Did I write any
inaccuracies? No. I set out to write that there were 8583 cars built,
and I did just that. However, I still continued to put both whatever
spin upon the subject that I could. And I gave examples of both
negative and positive reporting, dependent upon how I wanted to
present the information. If I want the reader to share my negative
outlook on a particular subject, then I'll package all negative
information that's relevant to it, in with it. And vice-versa. It's
like the musical score in a movie, that wants to set the tone of joy,
fear, etc... You wouldn't but a banjo into the score for a horror
movie where someone is about to die, just as you wouldn't want to
include information that detracts from your opinion.

"Journalistic Integrity" should go beyond simply reporting the facts,
and should encompass a writer NOT including their personal feelings on
a subject, whether or not I agree with them. Last time I checked,
that's what the editorial section was for.

If John DeLorean's story has ever taught me anything, it's that I have
no idea what in the world is going on around me.

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:15:58 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Well, if anything is gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there on the
road, right? Idle the car and force the fans to come on, check for
leaks, and make sure that the motor cools down to the point where the
fans turn off. Next, check your fuses, and ensure that they're all the
correct amperage. That's a great starter that will take care of your
base concerns there.

Otherwise, I say kick the tires, and light the fires! And head out
onto the open highway. That's what I did when I picked up my car.

If I were you, the only thing I would fear is the lack of a good radio
and speakers!

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:08:35 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: I'm selling my car !!!

WHAT???!!!!!  Selling it???

I'm reluctant to post this, because I hate to see Brandon getting rid of
this car.  But I'll say this anyway: if I were in the market for another
DeLorean right now, I'd camp outside Brandon's house to get this one.  This
is one of those meticulously maintained, intelligently repaired, and
tastefully upgraded cars that you don't find often.  When you look at this
car, you get the feeling you could drive around the world tomorrow, and
never worry about it at all.

Whoever buys this thing, I envy you!  --And Brandon, whatever you're working
on better be worth it!  (You're not building a stainless steel piano, are
you? )

:-)

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:04:35 -0400
From: "Steve Auyer" <sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

 I hate to say that I would be a little skeptical of anything that the seller would tell you but when I bought my DMC
last August, the seller SWORE that it was in great condition. I took it out for a test drive and the brakes felt a
little "soft." He assured me that it was just because he had put new brake pads on it and they needed to get seated into
the rotors. Anyway, I was a little nervous about it so I paid to have it trailered to me house. Once I started to get
into it I found that the front calipers were frozen up, hadn't been lubricated in years - and the front brakes were
totally inoperative.

So from my standpoint, if you're not sure, don't take the chance.

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:24:07 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Thanks Rodney.  I will check the belts. Sound like the vote is to
drive ot home. I'd prefer that anyway, than to have strangers handling
my new car.

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:27:01 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Hi "jrc"

I live in Uxbridge MA.  Where are you located?  It looks like I have
a resource when I run into problems.  It's nice to know that there
are other owners nearby.

Hopefully, I will be an owner next week.

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:29:38 -0000
From: "yesinfred" <yesinfred_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Did you consider a link of D owners along the way that may help you
if there were mechanical problems? I live in Frederick, MD.  Bob

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:31:09 EDT
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

Finally an optimist. You bought the car to enjoy it. Drive it.  I  bought my
car in 1993 in North Carolina and drove it back 700 miles. Of couse I  didnt
know how to drive stick when I started. At the end I was a pro.

boB  Cutrupi

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:36:46 EDT
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

You're a wonderful write Robert.

boB  Cutrupi

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:53:00 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Hello.. I've been enjoying this thread since I recently purchased a  Delorean
from an original owner in Florida.  I plan on driving it home to  Western NY
from Florida.  I look at it as a great adventure.  Does  anyone have a list of
Delorean owners?  It would be priceless.  I've  signed up on the owners list
but noticed that one cannot have access until there  are enough new owners to
warrant a new printing.  Do any sites have a list  of owners?

Roy

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:21:24 -0500
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMCH Performance Engine

There was a thread last month on the DML, warm and wide, about PRV performance and secrecy. Herewith, DMCH wishes to set its part of the record straight.

We set about the Performance Engine Project in a straightforward manner. We sent three complete engines to a tuner in the UK. We told them what sort of power we wanted out of the resultant engine, how much it should cost the end user, and that when finished, the engine should pass US emissions tests, be as reliable as the stock PRV, and be usable by both transmissions.

. There is only one basic hot rod technique: increase airflow. All of the argument and anguish is about how it may be done and when it will happen. The DMCH performance engine has achieved its gains from careful shaping and polishing of the ports in the head, balancing of the combustion chamber volumes, development of optimized cam profiles, and use of a tuned, low-restriction exhaust system. The recent adoption of the NologyT ignition booster upgrade keeps the spark hot throughout the rev range.

The time and expense of the project are testimony to the care and precision put into the development. For example, there were five cam profiles tested, in sequence, each with its attendant dyno pull, before the right one was found. Each test session required a tear-down, cam re-grind, and rebuild. There were dyno sessions for the exhaust and for the reliability tests. During this process the limitations of the stock Delorean setup became evident. Two hundred horsepower is the limit of the ignition and two twenty-five is as much as the fuel injection can handle without increasing the pump and fuel line capacity. At the end, what came back was an engine that looked stock but didn't sound nor run like the donors. It delivered 197 BHP at 5500 rpm and has a torque curve that is flat within 40 ft-lbs from 2000 to 6000 rpm.

In and of themselves, the modifications are not remarkable. They are certainly nothing new. But their parameters have been carefully chosen to work together as a system, rather than a group of things that "might do some good". This is the main reason for our insistence that the performance mods be sold installed on an engine: to preserve the system and its performance. Secondly, one of the requirements of the project is reliability. DMCH insures that its performance PRV engines retain their inherent rugged nature by hand-assembling them here in Houston. We have sold 50-odd performance engines since the program began. There have been no failures. So you can see that proprietary concerns play a poor third fiddle to performance and reliability in our firm policy of selling engines rather than bolt-on parts.

This new performance crate engine is offered complete and assembled, with new water pump, intake manifold, injection lines, fuel distributor, warm-up regulator, injectors, ignition coil, a NologyT ignition upgrade, and a custom exhaust for $6750, f.o.b. Houston. Alternatively, the performance modifications may be installed here in Houston on a suitable existing engine in an owner's car for $5250.

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:46:30 -0400
From: "Ed" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Paul,
Here are a few points to consider from my perspective.

If shipped:
Either remove the louvers or make absolutely certain it is NOT shipped
backwards.  You will loose the louvers, quite possibly the engine cover,
damage hinges (louver and engine cover) and maybe dent your roof.  Been
there, done that, have the T-shirt.  Oh and BTW if they damage the louvers
shipping companies usually have clauses in their contracts that exempt
covering that type of damage.

If driving:
Make sure gas is fresh, major rubber components (hoses, belts, plug wires,
tires, vacuum lines, etc...) are in decent shape (no significant cracks),
and no water is in spark plug wells.  Also do basic checks of fluid levels
(look for unusual color and odor), tire pressure (spare too), battery
condition, etc...  Make sure you have the jack and lug wrench (tool kit) and
consider (probably not necessary) changing plugs, wiper blades, and oil.

I also recommend you drive it in an area close to service stations for maybe
10+ miles.  Let it get good and warm then shut it off and try and restart
after 5-10 minutes.  There will be at least one stop for gas on that trip so
you might as well make sure you don't have a hot start problem.

Carry a can of WD-40 if you might be driving in rain.  Old plug wires can
ground out and the WD-40 might help there.

My 2 cents worth.

Ed
10541

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:23:25 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

You can have access at any time, just email for the password.

Thats what i did when i first signed up.

If you read it correctly it clearly says just email for the password.

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

Mark V

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:37:24 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

The owner's directory is probably on its 5th printing and has
hundreds of names around the world. Just follow the instructions to
list your information and get the password. It's not printed in the
clear as that's an open invitation to problems (and spam)

The next update should be in time for the Houston event. That's when
the updates generally happen, about once a year.

Dave S

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:52:31 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH Performance Engine

Warren,

Thank you for that well-worded explanation. I've long wondered why
you wouldn't just sell the parts as a kit.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_u...>