From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2560
Date: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:16 PM

1. Re: DMCH Performance Engine
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

2. Fishy Ebay car...
From: "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. rear end output shafts seals replacement
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

6. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Fishy Ebay car...
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

9. Subject: Good article/test on radar detection and laser [lidar] jamming.
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Fishy Ebay car...
From: "dmc3989" <dmc3989_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. dyno pulls
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

12. Re: vacuum leaks
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. DML Digest #2503
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

15. Re: DeLorean Featured Marque at Celebration Concours April 30
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. orifice tube
From: "edherrmann" <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:58:12 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH Performance Engine

I'm sure the DMCH performance engine is a fine engine, but it should be
noted that the power specification they publish does not accurately
compare to the stock specification.

The OEM stock engine was rated 130 hp "NET", by law, which means the
reading is taken with all accessories like water pump, alternator, air
conditioning, intake, exhaust, etc, connected.

The DMCH performance engine is rated 197 hp "BRAKE", meaning the
reading is taken with no accessories connected.  There doesn't even
have to be coolant in the passages.  In the nineteen seventies, the
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) abandoned specifying brake
horsepower (BHP), because it does not accurately reflect the power
available to move the car.

Unless Delorean in Houston starts specifying their performance engine
in NET horsepower, it's not possible to intelligently compare the two
engines.  I consider DMCH specifying their horsepower in BHP either
misguided, or somewhat deceptive, depending on their motives, in that
it leads people to believe the performance engine is more powerful than
it is.  This is precisely why the SAE stopped specifying power this way.

Rick Gendreau 11472
twin engine Delorean, 560 brake horsepower, 450 net horsepower, Gosh,
what a fun car.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_u...>
wrote:

> There was a thread last month on the DML, warm and wide, about PRV
performance and secrecy. Herewith, DMCH wishes to set its part of the
record straight.

> We set about the Performance Engine Project in a straightforward
manner....

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:37:47 -0000
From: "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fishy Ebay car...

I just want to alert everybody to a possible fraud on the Ebay
website.  I'm not mentioning Auction #, but there is a claim to have
the 400th car off the assembly line, somewhere in the 00900 vin range.
Now everything appears great, except it has grey interior.  I thought
the first car with grey interior had a vin of + 2000.  Its possible to
have an interior swap, but the ad says it has original interior.  I
dont know if its fraud or not, but by everything I know something isnt
kosher.  The ad is very well done in every other aspect.

Tom Porter
Maine, USA

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:39:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

I would add that you should make sure that the fans will cycle on. You
may have a bad circuit breaker or the origional which would keep
kicking in and out. You may also have the blue fan fail relay which
will fail so you should install the bypass jumper. You could have a
bad pick-up hose in the tank so when you get to 1/2 tank the car will
stop. You could have a bad accumulator so when it gets hot it won't
restart, say after you gas up. If you have the origional tires you
could blow one out at speed. You could have a bent trailing arm bolt.
The origional hoses (even if they look good on the outside) could
blow. You could melt out the fuse for the fuel pump. The origional
water pump could let loose. The header bottle could split open. The
seals on the brakes could fail. I could go on and on. It just makes no
sense to take a car that you have no confidence in and go on a road
trip. It will cost a whole lot more to get towed when you get stuck on
the road then if you just made arrangements to have it transported. If
you still insist on doing "on the cheap" you can rent a trailer and
trailer it home. With your time and the rental of the trailer and the
tolls and hotels it won't be cheaper. Mayabe buy one closer to your
house and pay a little more? BTW if you overheat the motor you can
always buy that upgraded motor from DMCH! Of course you may get lucky
and get home without incident, Are you a betting man? The odds are not
in your favor. BTW to drive it you will need plates and insurance, how
are you going to handle that?

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:40:45 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: rear end output shafts seals replacement

just bought new seal for my rear end (differential)where the shaft
from the wheel connect, the old one is larger and have a gold sleeve
in it, the new one is the same size but not enough wide to carry the
gold sleeve, the sleeve is here for avoiding dirt to enter the seal,
anyone already had this ?? i will probably cut the old seal in 2 parts
and install the gold sleeve with it....

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:25:57 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

I say drive it!  In my opinion, the drive home after purchase is a
memorable part of the DeLorean ownership experience, especially if
something goes wrong, then it will make for a good story :)

Travis Graham
#06344

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:47:17 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...>
wrote:

> > I am looking at a Delorean next Tuesday in VA.  I live in MA.  If
> > decide to buy, I am hesitant to drive the car back the 500 or so
> > miles, due to age and me not being familiar with the car.  The
owner
> > says the car is great running condition, with no mechanical
issues.
> > He has taken it on 100 mile trips, but never as far as 500
miles.  Do
> > I take a chance on driving the car back to MA, or do I spend the
$700-
> > 900 to ship it back?  If I need to ship it, what service provider
is

I was only kidding, my post got screwed up. I am not the only one in
Ma. who owns a D. Although I have never seen another one anywhere in
this state.

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:56:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

Unfortunately, I can highly vouch this kind of story.
I won't go into the details because I don't want to
scare you, but you can bet chance won't be on your
side unless you know the previous owner well.

Don't chance it.

Jeremiah

http://personals.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:58:15 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fishy Ebay car...

In a message dated 04/08/2005 4:10:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I just want to alert everybody to a possible fraud on the Ebay
website.  I'm not mentioning Auction #, but there is a claim to have
the 400th car off the assembly line, somewhere in the 00900 vin range.
Now everything appears great, except it has grey interior.  I thought
the first car with grey interior had a vin of + 2000.  Its possible to
have an interior swap, but the ad says it has original interior.  I
dont know if its fraud or not, but by everything I know something isnt
kosher.  The ad is very well done in every other aspect.

Tom Porter
Maine, USA

I think the auction is a legitimate 900 series car. I don't think it's
"fishy" and no I don't have anything to do with the car for sale.

I think the car looks a little tired, especially with those gray seats, when
the seats should be black in an early car. However, it's a DeLorean so
anything is possible.

According to some of the telex's that we found at the factory in 1997 the
cars were supposed to be built with dark blue, burgundy, tan, fawn/cream, gray
and black interiors.

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:14:19 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Subject: Good article/test on radar detection and laser [lidar] jamming.

http://www.speedzones.com/

This blurb from the article explained to me why I have had some of my
experiences lately and in the past for that matter:

"A white colored vehicle is the easiest target for a laser gun as the color
white reflects all colors including laserís infrared light. The darker the
vehicle the more difficult it is to target. A black car with no chrome, no front
plate, and pop down headlights is virtually impossible to target with laser."

My car is not white but silver with DRL's, so it reads like I and others with
a similar setup are prime targets. Yep, it's a slow day at the office.

Sincerely,
Senator Pack

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:15:06 -0000
From: "dmc3989" <dmc3989_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I saw this car also, the interesting thing about it is that the dash
and center console are black while the seats and floor mats are
grey.
>From my understanding this kind of mis-match didn't occur until
after
the company went under and they were forced to use what interior
panels and pieces they had remaining, seems like it wouldnt have
been
original like this if it was within the first 400 but who knows what
could have come out of the factory and the seats and stiching appear
original but as you stated, who knows swapping may have occured.. if
it did or not its not really my place to say for certian.

Josh
VIN 3989

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:29:01 -0500
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: dyno pulls

Steve-In response to your question: The tuner did baseline dyno pulls on the stock engines we sent them.  Right now, Stephen is sifting through the data we were sent.  Reprsentative graphs and explanations will be posted on the web site next week. It's a lot of stuff, some of it repetitive and we're not sure of the exact conditions under which the tests were run.  We'll post it when we know it.
.

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:34:16 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: vacuum leaks

Most modern engines use air density metering which incorporates a
Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor and Manifold Air Temperature (MAT)
sensor. From these two readings, a figure for air entering the engine
can be calculated, and fuel metered accordingly. These engines do not
suffer mixure problems  resulting from vacuum leaks.

Martin

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:50:21 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Quite obviously there are a lot of things that could go wrong, and
the smart way would be to trailer it in one fashion or another. But
I think there is something to be said for the adventure of driving
it home, you already said it would be the way you prefer to do it. I
bought mine and drove it home, a 1200 mile maiden voyage. All went
well, but even if it hadn't, it still would have been a fun trip.
Getting whatever issue arose fixed and back on the road would have
been part of the adventure. I think that like everyone has been
saying a local area roadworthiness test (making sure the fans come
on and off properly and there are no auspicious leaks, etc.) is a
good idea and would provide reasonable enough peace of mind to at
least embark. As for plates and insurance, you can set up an
insurance policy ahead of time and schedule it so the company enacts
the policy on your date of purchase. Then when you buy it go to the
DMV with the seller and have the title and paperwork from your
insurance company about the policy and they will issue you a
temporary paper tag to drive it back to your home state, where you
can then register it properly. If you're up to it, I say go for it!

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:51:51 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: DML Digest #2503

Could someone email me digest #2503? I lost it. Thanks.

Shannon

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:15:22 -0000
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Featured Marque at Celebration Concours April 30

Hello Everyone
I understand that this event may seem expensive, but the only
mandatory cost is the $50.00 entry fee for the concours, which is
donated to Make-A-Wish.
We have classes for both stock and modifed DeLoreans, and all cars
scoring 95 points or higher get a Platinum (1st Place) Award,
beautiful engraved trophies.
The setting is along a waterfront boardwalk with several sidewalk
cafes, in the Disney-built town of Celebration. It's a beautiful
place for a concours.
This is a great way to have fun with our cars and raise money for
these kids that are in need.
Thanks!

PS
I can't wait to attend my first DCS next year!

Jeff
#20022

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:30:08 -0000
From: "edherrmann" <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: orifice tube

Can anyone tell me where is the A/C orifice tube is and how to
replace it. thanks  Ed