From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 5:59 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2561

1. Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

2. Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social - Deadline
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

3. Re: Fishy Ebay car...
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

4. Re: vacuum leaks
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. Re: orifice tube
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

6. Re: Subject: Good article/test on radar detection and laser [lidar] jamming.
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

7. Re: Subject: Good article/test on radar detection and laser [lidar] jamming.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

9. Re: Re: DMCH Performance Engine
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. Re: vacuum leaks
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. Montreal DMC Needed for TV Show
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

12. Re: Re: DMCH Performance Engine
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

13. RE: Re: DMCH Performance Engine
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. RE: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: DMCH Performance Engine
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

17. Frame Fittings Kit?
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:30:10 -0400
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

Western NY!!?? There is an owner somewhere just outside of Niagara Falls, NY and I live in Niagara Falls, Ont.

Mike Walsh
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:36:38 -0400
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social - Deadline

-Reminder-  The final day to pre-register and pay for the DMA Spring Social at the discounted rate is Saturday, April 9th!

Information on the social can be found at http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/social05.htm

So far we have over 58 people attending, 30 cars, tech inspections courtesy of PJ Grady, Door adjustments, tons of prizes and raffle items, and more
donated items from other vendors arriving next week.   This will be an event
you wont want to miss!

Final details will be available next week (directions, itinerary, photo shoot info, etc..)

Hope to see you all there!

Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:48:11 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Fishy Ebay car...

Hello,
I have vin # 000915 and it has grey interior with an automatic trans this is my 3rd
car now.
Lawrence 00538m, 00915a,04873a

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 02:07:44 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: vacuum leaks

Of course very few DeLoreans are powered by a "modern engine"...

And I would argue that even on them, leaks still artifically lower manifold vacuum over the throttle setting (unless some sort of compensating calculation is made between the TPS and MAP sensor).

Note that electronically controlled engines do come with a significant cost -- whenever something goes wrong, you are walking. Period. There is no way to rig a coil pack or pulse injectors to get you home.

But that is a moot point on this list -- the PRV is very susceptible to vacuum leaks, which is what owners want to know about. Virtues of 2005 model vehicles (if any) won't help a DeLorean owner with wandering idle or flat acceleration.

The bottom line is: there are many points of potential vacuum leaks on a B28F. Owners need to know how damaging they can be, where to look for them, how to diagnose them, and what the recommended repairs are. Just the mere picture of John Hervey's O ring kit can be helpful in this endeavor ("There's an O ring between the fuel distributor and the mixture unit?"). Hopefully people won't overlook the couple of traditional gaskets either.

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 02:17:09 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: orifice tube

It's in the inlet to the evaporator just behind the right front wheel.
You have to remove the pressure hose and maybe the accumulator bottle
to get to it (of course after properly discharging the freon etc
etc.....). That's typically where the fun starts, because it seems that
on many of the cars they put the orifice tube in, THEN bent the inlet
pipe so that it STAYS in.

If you are lucky you just yank it out and put in the new one, then
recharge the system. If you are not lucky you will need to replace most
of the system because it is full of black goo. If you are very unlucky
you will twist the end off the evaporator and have to replace that too.

Why are you doing this?

Dave S

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:30:12 -0400
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: Good article/test on radar detection and laser [lidar] jamming.

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 05:14:19PM -0400, Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> "A white colored vehicle is the easiest target for a laser gun as the
> color
> white reflects all colors including laser???s infrared light. The darker the
> vehicle the more difficult it is to target. A black car with no chrome, no front
> plate, and pop down headlights is virtually impossible to target with laser."

Mythbusters did a whole segment on testing various jamming methods for LIDAR, including painting the car matte black from stem to stern; no difference. Car was an ancient, blocky caddy, which may have had some negative impact on their results. Still, you'd expect there to be SOME difference with the matte paint job. Television, so grain of salt, and so forth. =)

--n

--
"Any system shall not harm your content or, through
inaction, allow your content to come to harm."

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:57:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The color of the car makes no difference. It is only used for identifacation AFTER they have clocked the speed. Standard police procedure is to aim the laser at the license plate. It is a good, flat, reflective target. This is why people sell a lense to cover the license plate that they claim absorbs the laser beam so it can't bounce back as strong so it is harder to lock on to the return signal and calculate speed. What it is doing (if it works at all) is to give you time to slow down if you have a detector. Properly used Laser is very accurate and can be used at long and short range. It is deadly when used in pulse mode. He can just shoot you so there is NO warning. Luckly they do not use it that way much. Among the best detectors is the Valentine but it is the most expensive. Bottom line is if you are going too fast and you hit a laser trap you are probably going to get a ticket. David Teitelbaum vin 10757

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 23:18:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

The first time I drove my DeLorean, I drove 2000 miles across 9 states in 44 hours.  The only meaningful hiccup I had was the speeding ticket the friendly Nebraska State trooper gave me.  It was a difficult drive, but a great story that I wouldn't trade for the $1000 it would have costed me to ship it.

Then again, I knew what I was getting myself into.  The point is, whether or not you should drive the car home really depends on knowledge: your knowledge of the car in general, and your knowledge of this particular car's history.  Most things are pretty easy to tell via a good visual inspection.  Have a back-up plan in case you were wrong, though.

-And no, I wouldn't have done it on original hoses either.... :-)

Jake
1063

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:

I would add that you should make sure that the fans will cycle on. You may have a bad circuit breaker or the origional which would keep kicking in and out. You may also have the blue fan fail relay which will fail so you should install the bypass jumper. You could have a bad pick-up hose in the tank so when you get to 1/2 tank the car will stop. You could have a bad accumulator so when it gets hot it won't restart, say after you gas up. If you have the origional tires you could blow one out at speed. You could have a bent trailing arm bolt. The origional hoses (even if they look good on the outside) could blow. You could melt out the fuse for the fuel pump. The origional water pump could let loose. The header bottle could split open. The seals on the brakes could fail. I could go on and on. It just makes no sense to take a car that you have no confidence in and go on a road trip. It will cost a whole lot more to get towed when you get stuck on the road then if you just made arrangements to have it transported. If you still insist on doing "on the cheap" you can rent a trailer and trailer it home. With your time and the rental of the trailer and the tolls and hotels it won't be cheaper. Mayabe buy one closer to your house and pay a little more? BTW if you overheat the motor you can always buy that upgraded motor from DMCH! Of course you may get lucky and get home without incident, Are you a betting man? The odds are not in your favor. BTW to drive it you will need plates and insurance, how are you going to handle that? David Teitelbaum vin 10757

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 08:49:54 +0100
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DMCH Performance Engine

Hi Rick,

Donąt forget that the engine was built and tested here in the UK and we still use BHP to measure our engine performance.

Dan

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 09:58:53 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

I don't want to split hairs over this Bill as it's probably of little
interest to most people on this list. HOWEVER

You wrote:

" all fuel metering devices (including carburetors) are unable to
deliver a proper fuel/air mixture when unmetered air is sucked into the
engine through a vacuum leak"

This is quite simply wrong as most engines now use MAP/MAT sensors to
calculate air density. I was careful to keep -my- terminology correct by
saying

"These engines do not suffer mixure problems resulting from vacuum leaks."

You will get a high idle if the vacuum leak exceeds the idlespeed
control system's ability to lower the air entering the engine.

>But that is a moot point on this list -- the PRV is very susceptible to
>vacuum leaks, which is what owners want to know about. Virtues of 2005
>model vehicles (if any) won't help a DeLorean owner with wandering idle
>or flat acceleration.

Actually 1984 onward Renault engines, and the Eagle Premier engines you
guys have (which -are- Renault lumps) are all MAP/MAT sensed. Feel free
to go read up in the TEC3 or SDS manuals, and you'll learn far more than
you expected on this subject - I certainly did!

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 12:18:08 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Montreal DMC Needed for TV Show

Please contact this person directly off-list....

To Whom This May Concern

Im looking for someone who would be interested in having his
Delorean in a trailer for a television show that I will be shooting
in
Montreal Quebec on the 16th of April. Would you please point me
in the right direction. Thank you.

Daniel Lee
DNM Films Inc.
24 frames per second. 365 days a year.

daniel(AT)dnmfilms.com

514.866.3664
514.926.3634

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:04:10 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

What would the NET Horespower be then?

Mark V

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:31:07 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I also want to thank Warren for the explanation,
But I would also like to add that I have said all along that air flow makes a big difference in the HP and performance of the engine. That's why I offer the cold air input tube with the K & N air filter or My Special T free blue free flow filter. http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/air-breather-package.jpg

As, a lot of you know we also offer a higher capacity air intake Stainless Steel intake system also so as the engine will have the maximum amount of air available to use and not starve the system.

Warren talks some about the limitations of the engine due to fuel delivery. Special T has been building and rebuilding fuel distributors to deliver all fuel you need thought out the HP range. We have done it several times with the Porsche and the customers haven't run out of fuel either under boost or with out turbo's.

I would also like to add that we offered High Performance name brand products for a long time even when we were being shunned for doing it and we carry all the High Performance ignition systems which have been proven with race car drivers for years such as MSD and Mallory. We also have the hottest plugs along with the range of special wires that don't cost an arm and a leg. These are all on the engine & Performance page of the site. http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine-tuneup.html

I stand ready to help you get the most performance from your engine if you don't have the budget for a new one. Our shop has just completed a complete fuel restoration on a collector car that had been sitting for several years and the customer drove away not knowing that the car could feel that strong.

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address: moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:35:22 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Roy, I'm sure you won't have any problems, but if you do you can call 12/7 9am till 9 pm.CST John Hervey 972-564-9321 www.specialtauto.com

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:38:40 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: DMCH Performance Engine

Stock engine was rated 130 NET? Why does my manual on page A:01:01 say the engine has 130 B.H.P? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:06:22 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated

   Hi Gang,

Just in time for spring! I've completed a new edition of the DeLorean Owners Directory. There's lots of new entries and updates. The format has been altered to group the entries better and to cut down on the number of pages.

If you already have access to the Directory, your current login name and password will still work. There is now a form for access requests.

We've also added a form for 'VIN sightings' so they can be added to the Production Chronology. The Production Chronology is based on data from the DOD and records retrieved from original DMC files. You may also submit information on other cars you may find but are unable to contact the owner. Whenever possible, have the owner register themselves in the DOD. An update to the Production Chronology is forthcoming.

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME' http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club http://www.ncdmc.org Keeper of the International DeLorean Owners Directory http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com =======================================================

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:28:13 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Frame Fittings Kit?

I'm swapping my frame and was wondering if any of the vendors has a kit
for all the little plastic clips that go into the frame for the fuel
lines, vacuum lines and brake lines.  If so, please let me know.

Thanks,
Erik
04512 ver 2.0

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:41:40 -0400
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

Keep in mind that the buyer is a MA resident, and we do not have temporary license plates here. A Dealer or Repair plate could be used if the buyer has access to one.

David Toscano
Worcester, MA
former owner 1650 and 4337

Then when you buy it go to the
DMV with the seller and have the title and paperwork from your
insurance company about the policy and they will issue you a
temporary paper tag to drive it back to your home state, where you
can then register it properly. If you're up to it, I say go for it!