From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2562
Date: Sunday, April 10, 2005 8:37 PM

1. Re: Re: DMCH Performance Engine
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Turn Signal Question
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

3. Re: Performance Engine
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

4. Re: Performance Engine
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

5. Re: DMCH Performance Engine (SpecialT Parts)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: DMCH Performance Engine (SpecialT Parts)
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

9. Re: Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated - with errors
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

10. Re: Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

11. Re: DMCH Performance Engine (SpecialT Parts)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Found VIN#1776
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Looking for a set of wheels.
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

15. Re: Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

16. RE: Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated - with errors
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

17. Re: Spark Plug Gaps (High Voltage Coils)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:52:48 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: DMCH Performance Engine

Some figures to ponder

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/discuss.htm

Tested with a very low mileage DeLorean on a rolling road

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:49:26 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Turn Signal Question

Hi gang,
I'd like to take a moment to thank all of the folks here that have been so generous with their knowledge of the DeLorean which has helped make my experience as an owner an enjoyable and challenging one.  I've had questions on the speedo angle drive, clutch master and slave cylinders, binnacle removal, and many other issues that have been answered through advice from Josh H, Ken K, Dave Sontos, John Hervey, DMC Joe, David T, Bill R, and other regulars on the list which have all aided me tremendously.  This brings me to my current question-I have a nagging problem that started after I reassembled the dash binnacle that hopefully will only require a little trouble shooting.  My right turn signal indicator stays on when the headlights are turned on otherwise if they're off the right turn signal is off and functions normally.  I've checked the wiring underneath to see if there's an obvious problem but I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary.  Has anyone had any experience with anything similar to this when replacing a dash binnacle?  As always any comments or advice would be appreciated as I try and figure out what I could have done to cause this problem.
Thanks again from me to the group as I know I wouldn't be driving this car today without you!

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:58:00 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Performance Engine

Hello.

Yes, the Delorean was rated 130 net horsepower.
In answer to your question, I don't know why your manual is wrong.
Probably human error.

Rick.

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Stock engine was rated 130 NET? Why does my manual on page A:01:01 say
> the engine has 130 B.H.P? -----Dani B. #5003
>

> > On 8/4/05 6:58 pm, "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_g...>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > I'm sure the DMCH performance engine is a fine engine, but it
> should be
> > > noted that the power specification they publish does not accurately
> > > compare to the stock specification.
> > >
> > > The OEM stock engine was rated 130 hp "NET", by law, which means the
> > > reading is taken with all accessories like water pump,
alternator, air
> > > conditioning, intake, exhaust, etc, connected.
> > >
> > > The DMCH performance engine is rated 197 hp "BRAKE", meaning the
> > > reading is taken with no accessories connected.  There doesn't even
> > > have to be coolant in the passages.  In the nineteen seventies, the
> > > Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) abandoned specifying brake
> > > horsepower (BHP), because it does not accurately reflect the power
> > > available to move the car.
> > >
> > > Unless Delorean in Houston starts specifying their performance
engine
> > > in NET horsepower, it's not possible to intelligently compare
the two
> > > engines.  I consider DMCH specifying their horsepower in BHP either
> > > misguided, or somewhat deceptive, depending on their motives, in
that
> > > it leads people to believe the performance engine is more powerful
> than
> > > it is.  This is precisely why the SAE stopped specifying power
> this way.
> > >

> > > Rick Gendreau 11472
> > > twin engine Delorean, 560 brake horsepower, 450 net horsepower,
Gosh,

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 01:02:08 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hi Dan.

Thanks for the information.  I was not aware that UK still uses brake
horsepower.  Nonetheless, the Delorean engine was specified 130 SAE
net horsepower.

Rick.

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 02:10:19 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: DMCH Performance Engine (SpecialT Parts)

You may also want to mention that a higher voltage coil allows a
larger plug gap, increasing flame propagation.

And performance coils recharge better at high RPM's.

I have run into long term problems running 45,000 volts (Pertronix II)
through standard 7mm wires. Resistance builds up until they stop
passing juice altogether, just like a burned out heating element. 8mm
seems to be the lower limit (your 8.5mm's are quite nice -- I expect
them to be the only set I'll ever buy).

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_s...> wrote:
>
> I also want to thank Warren for the explanation,
> But I would also like to add that I have said all along that air
flow makes
> a big difference in the HP and performance of the engine. That's why
I offer

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/air-breather-package.jpg

> As, a lot of you know we also offer a higher capacity air intake
Stainless

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 04:10:40 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

I could be wrong but I don't think MA would have anything to do with
it. I believe it is the state in which he is buying the car, not the
state in which he resides. I lived in Florida and bought the car in
New York, and New York issued me the temporary tag for the drive
home; I'm pretty sure Florida was never involved at all until I got
home.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_i...> wrote:

> Keep in mind that the buyer is a MA resident, and we do not have
temporary license plates here. A Dealer or Repair plate could be
used if the buyer has access to one.

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:13:40 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated

In regards to the new owners directory, is anyone else getting a
message in Adobe Reader that says:
"There was an error opening this document.  The file is damaged and
could not be repaired."

I tried with Adobe Reader version 6.0, and just updated to 7.0 and
it still does it.  This happened to me with the previous directory
as well, but I downloaded it again and then it worked.  That trick
isn't working this time.

I can open other PDFs just fine.  Including the last owners
directory.  Anyone else experiencing this?

-Derek L
VIN 5302

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>    Hi Gang,
>
> Just in time for spring! I've completed a new edition of the
DeLorean

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:31:47 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Bill,

Rich A. and I also thought you could use a bigger plug gap with the
hotter coils, so I (using an MSD blaster2) gapped mine to 0.031 or so
, where the manual says the upper limit is 0.28 normally.  I believe
Rich A. also gapped his similarly.  The result was that my car
couldn't rev much over 3500 under load.  Rich had better luck, but
found his distributor and rotor to be heavily carbon scored after 6
months.

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:11:47 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated - with errors

Hi

I don't have a problem with opening the file. It works just fine. I even
downloaded it again just to see and it works ok. My problem is that my
country did not deserve a listing as a separate country. I guess someone
figured that it's just Poland and nobody would care anyway... I couldn't
even find my listing until I started going by names... one by one.
Disappointing...
Anyway, regardless of my listing in the DOD if anyone ever happens to travel
to or though Poland let me know. As it is in the DOD "coffee and
conversation gladly given". I also have tools and can help in an emergency.
I know DeLoreans :)
Anyone up for a DeLorean convoy around Warsaw, Poland? :)

Take care everyone
Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

> In regards to the new owners directory, is anyone else getting a
> message in Adobe Reader that says:
> "There was an error opening this document.  The file is damaged and
> could not be repaired."
<SNIP>

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:33:55 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Works great for me!

Mark

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:15:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

What you are observing is the "Weakest Link Syndome". The stock
ignition system is not made for this large increase in voltage. Even
with the better wires you are not upgrading the cap and rotor. By
inceasing the gap on the spark plugs you increase the insulation
breakdown requirements of the entire system. Some of the parts are not
up to it. You cannot change the gap inside the distributer between the
cap and the rotor. You also cannot keep the rotor from breaking down
and grounding on the distributer shaft. You are also increasing the
current requirements on the ignition ECU. You may get a hotter spark
but how long will ALL of the components live? BTW increasing the gap
has the side effect of delaying the spark so you might want to advance
the timing to compensate. Again, you cannot just change some parts
without considering ALL of the effects on the entire system. I agree
with you that the stock ignition system can be improved but you MUST
do it on a systemwide basis. Just replacing some of the parts is not
enough. You MUST consider reliability, how long will your improvements
last and is it worth it compared to "stock"?

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:41:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I had no problem with it, using GSView.

Wow, "Evil" Dan is now official!!  LOL

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Found VIN#1776

For those who are interested:
http://www.entermyworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1093

This DeLorean has a BAE turbo kit installed on it.
This isn't an ordinary kit; this engine was torn apart
and refitted with the proper rods and pistons to
handle this kind of power.  With the guts of the
engine rebuilt correctly, a custom exhaust, and of
course the turbo kit itself - the car is reported to
put out 250 HP.  This car is at my house right now,
until the new owner comes back with a trailer to
safely bring it home.  We drove it the 50 miles back
to myplace with no problems whatsoever minus a leaking
clutch cylinder.  This badboy is ncie and boy does it
move.  I'm going to take a BUNCH of photos when I get
home today, so the pictures you see there are not the
only ones that will be up.  Enjoy the new addition of
a DeLorean with a rebuilt engine that CAN put out some
nice power.

Jeremiah

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:14:49 -0000
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>
Subject: Looking for a set of wheels.

Hey gang,
I'm looking for a set of stock wheels in useable condidtion. I dont
care about the cosmetics as they are just gonna be some driving wheels
for a concours car between shows. PLease email me off the list if you
have a set for sale.
Thanks
Sean M.

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:50:40 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Yes, I have also.  When I was able to finally get it to open all I got  was
the same one that was done in March,

Roy

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:07:26 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

   Tom and Co..

The Poland entry was a victim of my new formatting system. The country
and state titles are supposed to all be headlines that generate the
table of contents. I'm making a bunch of little fixes as they are
brought to my attention and I'll post revised versions. The revision
number will be listed on page 2. New additions will still have to wait
for the next edition, which I expect will be this fall.

<< SNIP>>

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:20:23 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps (High Voltage Coils)

Bearing in mind that both my original Renault block (E series) and the
current carbureted Peugeot rendition run a richer fuel mixture than F
series spec:

I've gapped my plugs at least .35" almost as long as I've owned the
car no problem (am currently .42"). Can easily rev past 5,500 RPM.
Most domestic engines circa 1980 with breakerless ignition run a gap
in that range.

What type of plug are you using? I stick with traditional Delco's.

Did you increase voltage into the coil? I'm only running one of the
original resistors, which yields 10-12 volts.

How did you get carbon inside the distributor cap? Nothing should be
burning in there... The rotor does make marks where it passes by the
contacts, but mine are brass so the color is actually green. Perhaps
aluminum contacts turn black.

The only problem I've encountered (encountered it on other vehicles
first) is 7mm plug wires will eventually stop passing juice, from
Pertronix coils at least. 8mm's are fine, but not 7mm. I was hoping
the much ballyhoo'd Bougicord's that came with my crate engine would
be up to the task, but I recently lost one of them. Autozone 8mm's on
other vehicles from the late 80's/early 90's are still firing no
sweat, so I expect very long life from Hervey's 8.5mm set.

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:29:52 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...> wrote:

> I am looking at a Delorean next Tuesday in VA.  I live in MA.  If I
> decide to buy, I am hesitant to drive the car back the 500 or so
> miles, due to age and me not being familiar with the car.  The owner
> says the car is great running condition, with no mechanical issues.
> He has taken it on 100 mile trips, but never as far as 500 miles.  Do
> I take a chance on driving the car back to MA, or do I spend the $700-
> 900 to ship it back?  If I need to ship it, what service provider is
> reliable, trustworthy and affordable?  I don't want a banged-up car or
> a burnt-out clutch arriving at my doorstep.  Thanks in advance for any
> feedback on this issue. - Paul

DRIVE IT!!

Trust me. Best trip of your life. I drove my car home 800 miles. It
was a blast. 500 miles is no big thing; you can drive it straight
through.

As far as mechanical issues, who cares? Arm yourself with some basic
technical info (I printed out sheets of common no-start problems and
fixes, and various other common problems & quick fixes) and a cellular
phone. You don't need anything else. Worst case, you get stranded and
pay a mechanic to help you out.

You're looking at ~$200 for a plane ticket and $100-200 in gas & food.
It will cost you half as much and be ten times the fun.

>> Did you consider a link of D owners along the way that may
>> help you if there were mechanical problems?

Ah, I did that, too. Not so much for mechanical problems but just to
meet some people. Brian in Sacramento was awesome. We had lunch and he
showed me around my new car. The first time I ever touched a DeLorean
was the day I flew down and bought mine. :) That's a good idea,
though; DeLorean owners are a great bunch.

As far as the licensing issue, use your best judgement. I bought a
temporary tag from my home state (WA) and stuck it in the rear window,
since my car didn't have plates at all (previous owner had custom
plates he transferred to another car). Of course with the louvers you
couldn't even see the temp tag, and I also knew darn good and well
that tag would NOT be valid for 95% of my driving (CA and OR). I
figured if I got pulled over for it I'd explain that I just bought the
car, show the bill of sale, that I'm going straight home to register
it and, look, I bought a temporary tag and put it in the window just
like my state told me too. Polite cooperation goes a long way and I
don't think most cops would give you a problem about it. I had a
couple of them pass me on the freeway on the drive home, they looked
long and hard at the car but didn't pull me over.