From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2565
Date: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:48 PM

1. B28 Cams
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>

2. Re: Forged Pistons..
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

3. RE: Cruise control question
From: "Ed" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

5. I'm back. DeLorean needs help
From: delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: I'm back. DeLorean needs help
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

7. Wheel Valve Stems For Sale
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

8. Re: Wide-angle door mirrors wanted please
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

9. Re: I'm back. DeLorean needs help
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

10. Engine Options.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Engine Options.
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

12. Re: I'm back. DeLorean needs help
From: "delorean17" <delorean17_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Re: Engine Options.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Cold Start Problem - More
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

15. More on idle speeds
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:18:38 -0000
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>
Subject: B28 Cams

Are there any cams available for the B28 that will improve
performance?  Not interested in buying a DMCH engine for their cams.
Does anyone know of a cam grinder that has experience with odd-fire
PRVs?

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:41:20 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Forged Pistons..

Marc, are you happy to go EFI, or are you sticking to K-Jet? If the
former, I can help, but I'm still researching this stuff for my own
engine and am not 100% confident about my facts. I'm trying to track
down some A610 parts that I can measure up, although I have been burying
myself in my Renault manuals lately and have made some interesting headway.

Martin

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:39:42 -0400
From: "Ed" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Cruise control question

Ryan,
First, I would say check to be sure the magnet is still there.  As silly as
it sounds, I had one fall off a 1972 Dodge Dart and it didn't work well.  I
tried everything I could think of to fix it.  Finally ripped out the whole
system and (you guessed it) saved the coil and magnet for last.  Reinstalled
it with a replacement magnet and it worked fine.  My system used 4 magnets
and one had fallen off.

As far as the coil being closer goes, one issue if the strength of the
magnet used.  If the magnet was very strong then the coil doesn't have to be
as close.  If it is very weak then it likely needs to be very close.  This
also depends on the type of coil used (but doubt that is the issue).

I would suggest rechecking your connections (including vacuum if it had one)
and then look to repositioning the coil as close to the magnet as possible.
Of course usual safety precautions are required and don't forget that the
position of the coil may actually move relative to the magnet depending on
where items were installed and how much weight is put on the car.

Also note coil orientation does make a difference so follow the directions.
If installed in the wrong position the magnetic field will not induce a
voltage on the coil.

You may also want to test the coil to be sure it is good.  Use an ohm meter
and test the 2 leads.  It should be relatively low to zero resistance.  If
it is high you have a broken connection.

Ed

The installation said to install 2 magnets for a front wheel drive car, and
1 for a rear wheel drive. I installed 2 since this is "technically" a FWD
setup. Was this correct?

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:48:56 +0100
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage

I also had a similar problem. It turned out that the reluctor pulse coil
inside the ignition distributor has seized so I was not getting any vacuum
advance. I stripped down my distributor and freed off the reluctor pulse
coil assembly. I also found the engine ran cooler after I rebuilt my
distributor.

I believe John Hervey sells them.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical.html

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:58:42 EDT
From: delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: I'm back. DeLorean needs help

Hello,
    I have been living in Steamboat  Springs, CO for the past 6 months and
just returned home to Michigan for the  summer.  I was pleased to have my car
start right up on the first  try.  Unfortunately the car is not drivable until
it is fully warmed  up.  The car sputters and chokes through the intake when it
is given  throttle when cold.
    The lambda light just turned on today  as I hit 30,000 miles but that
should not cause my problem should it?  This  car ran perfectly before I left.
Any thoughts on what I should look  at?

Take it easy

Dave Phelps

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:34:16 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: I'm back. DeLorean needs help

How old is the gas in the car?

-------------- Original message from delorean17_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:59:14 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Wheel Valve Stems For Sale

In case anyone is interested, I have a pair of original wheel valve stems for sale on Ebay:

Item number 4542918759.

Jace

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:47:48 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Wide-angle door mirrors wanted please

Hi Rodney and anyone else interested

I have received 12 (twelve!) emails from people interested in a set. This is
really surprising to me that there is so little interest. I have not replied
to those emails yet because I'm hoping that there will be more interest. 12
sets in not really a number I can start negotiations with. We need more
people!! I have saved all the emails from those interested who emailed me so
far and I will let you all know when I have some information.
I am still here, I've got your emails and I WILL let you know how it goes.
Wait for my email within the next week or so.
So far the people interested are:
Rodney, Greg, Mike, Stephen, Brandon, Dick, Michael, kjc, Harold, Elvis, L.
Sandel, and John. (those are names from your email addresses) If anyone else
emailed me and I did not include your name here please resend your message.
To all others - If you are thinking about those mirrors LET ME KNOW! I want
to make this happen but we need MORE orders.

That's all for now

Take care all
Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:08:07 -0500
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

A backfire through the intake is sure evidence of a lean condition.  It may
be lean all the time and only critical when cold, or just lean at warm-up.
In the first case, you'll have to investigate all the usual suspects that
will lean the mixture: air leaks, poor fuel delivery due to contamination by
old fuel, (my guess), or the warm-up regulator itself.  If the second case
is evident, then it will be the warm-up regulator, which regulates the
mixture and richens it while the engine is cold.

There are a couple of things to do before buying parts.  Clean the screen
under 14mm banjo connection on the warm-up regulator.  It's the larger one.
If that doesn't make the car run better cold, pop all the injectors out, ALL
THE INJECTORS, jump the RPM relay so that the pump runs, and press down on
the airflow plate.  The injectors should spray a fine mist proportionate to
the plate deflection, and should not drip or dribble when the plate is
released.  Any of them that spit out streams or drops will need to be
replaced.  I have never been satisfied with cleaned injectors.  Replacing
injectors always has a salutory effect on a Delorean engine.  If you need
the parts, the pictures are behind the links below.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=733&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=910&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:23:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine Options.

I don't mind EFI...

At this point I want to cost compare my options
again..  I did this 4 years ago when I first decided
to do the conversion..  And I am at a point now where
I can conclude the last 4 years of effort has been
nothing more than an expensive learning experience.

Pretty much back to square one now..  I have 06068
sitting without an engine.  On the side, I have a DMC
engine with a Island TT kit and a perfectly good DMC
transmission.  I also have a 3.5L Chrysler engine in
the garage, as well as a 3.0 Taurus SHO engine.  If I
had to select an engine today, it would be neither of
them.

I see my options as follows:

1.  The custom bell housing for the DMC trans proved
to been too expensive to complete properly.  Maybe if
I had access to a reasonable machine shop I can re-use
some of the design work and make a new bell housing.
The unknowns here are still finding a ECU to run the
engine, a item that is very expensive.

2.  Do a engine conversion (with any number of
possible engines) using a Porsche transmission and a
already built (and tested) kit from Kennedy. (Duke has
installed this trans in his DMC, so it is also a known
success....  Duke, can you contact me directly??) With
the recent decision by Chrysler to discontinue the
3.5L V6 engine I selected, I may opt for another
engine.  There are some new ones out in the past 4
years that have me curious, and some came mounted to a
STD trans making the ECU problem easier to deal with.

3.  Rebuild my PRV such that I can get some real
performance out of it.  With numbers like 250HP for
forced induction, I am *NOT* impressed.  PRV parts are
expensive, and forced induction adds a whole new set
of problems to the mix that I would rather not deal
with.  However, I am open to this option if the price
is attractive.

Any information you (or anyone) can provide would be
great.

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:45:13 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Engine Options.

Go with the PRV, and make it a De Lorean again! (just my opinion)

Thomas
Vin 4087
Belfast

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:00:20 -0000
From: "delorean17" <delorean17_at_dml_aol.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike.griese_at_dml_w... wrote:

> How old is the gas in the car?

The fuel in the car is about 8 months old and has fuel stabilizer in
it.  I only left a small amount of fuel in the car so the fuel pump &
boot were not submerged in gasoline the whole time.  I added 6 gallons
of fuel today and don't see any change.  I bumped the connector going
to the vacuum advance today and the car actually idled a lot smoother.
Any reason why that would be?  I checked all the injectors and they are
spraying a fine mist just as they should.

Thanks for the help

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If you have a practical and reasonably priced way to
get some decent power out of it, I'd love to hear
about it.

I said it probably 10 years ago on this list, The PRV
engine is common in Europe I am surprised some of the
hot-rod stuff has not made it to this side of the pond
(at a reasonable cost).  How is it that Venturi got
450HP out of this engine?  Or even the 250 that Alpine
got?

With the line of cars waiting to spend $6000+ on the
DMCH engine for (what I believe to be) a minimal
improvement in power, It is amazing to me that there
are not more vendors offering competitive engine
upgrades.

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:33:13 -0600
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Cold Start Problem - More

        I pulled the idle speed motor off, turned the car over and
it revved real high and died instantly. I never saw the idle speed
motor open up. I can hear it makeing a slight buzzing and vibrating
like it's trying to do something. Would I be able to see it open like
that? Could it be froze in place?  Thanks for everyones help so far.

                     Jason #5903

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:24:10 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: More on idle speeds

I'm hearing of people having too low of an idle-while I can't get mine
anything under 7-8 hundred. How low can a factory new engine idle? I
have a new butterfly assembly, the whole thing not just the shaft and
flies, Put in O-rings and checked every single vac line...With the
adjustment screw missing I still get 7-8. Any ideas? -----Dani B. #5003