From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2566
Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:44 AM

1. Re: SpecialT Plug Wires
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

2. RE: More on idle speeds
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Re: Cold Start Problem - More
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

4. Saturday Night Live Spoof DeLorean House
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: More on idle speeds
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Engine Options.
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. RE: I'm back. DeLorean needs help
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. RE: I'm back. DeLorean needs help
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Re: Cold Idle Problem
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: Engine Options.
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Bumper Paint Codes?
From: "dmc3989" <dmc3989_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social - Itinerary and Directions Available
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

13. Re: Engine Options.
From: Rusty Shackleford <squall67584_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Valve cover gasket special
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. RE: More on idle speeds
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

16. Re: More on idle speeds
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

17. more power
From: "darryl" <dtinnerstet_at_dml_centurytel.net>

18. door adjustments
From: AdamRayVaughn_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Saturday Night Live Spoof DeLorean House
From: "bjmccool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

20. Re: Engine Options.
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: More on idle speeds
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

22. Re: Cruise control question
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Engine Block Coolant Drain Plugs........Question.....
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

24. Re: Engine Options.
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. Re: Engine Options.
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:25:21 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: SpecialT Plug Wires

I've only had problems with 7mm wires and Pertronix canister coils.
8mm work fine, both Autozone and Carquest private label. I also have a
set of Carquest 8mm on a stock GM HEI (20,000-30,000 volts). I'm sure
your 8.5mm set will be just fine.

If any of your customers run into problems with the Pertronix coil you
sell, recommend larger wires to them.

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:33:01 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: More on idle speeds

Dan, Fuel is the answer.

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:38:05 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Start Problem - More

Did you plug both the barb on the cold start tube and the tube to the
fuel/air mixture unit? Have a gigantic 3/4" vacuum leak otherwise. I'd
be surprised the engine even started like that however (unless the
cold start valve puts out enough to compensate).

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:38:47 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Saturday Night Live Spoof DeLorean House

Hello,

Just finished watching the SNL spoof called DeLorean House. Kind of Funny.
It was long for Saturday Night Live, about 10 minutes. The air date was October
23, 1982.

If you want me to describe the details just email me, as I know if I were to
describe the spoof here, someone is going to get mad as SNL makes great fun of
JZD and the DMC car.

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:42:07 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

DeLo ECU is set for 750 RPM...

The PRV is a small engine. It doesn't idle well at 500-600 RPM. You
can try it manually if you want to see (procedure is in the "Files"
section).

Volvo B28 spec is 900 RPM (both E and F Series).

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:42:48 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Options.

  My thoughts exactly Marc, in some ways this engine seems to be the
equivalent of a smallblock chevy in europe...its been in everything
from econo boxes to supercars. With all these vendors dealing with
Deloreans Im confused as to why there arent substantially more options
available for this engine.....DMCH deserves a pat on the back for
trying, but why stop there??? In no way is 197 hp a must have
especially for $6000.
  If Rob at PJ Grady reproduced the Legend Turbo on the other hand Im
pretty sure he would have people camping out in front of his shop to
have the work done.
 Ive commented on this once before, Detomaso Pantera's while being
pretty powerful and fast from the factory have a huge performance
based aftermarket and prices/ demand for well modified cars are on par
or higher than original cars. I mention the Pantera because its
another rare, culty type car....but the things being done with these
cars are astonishing.  Its unfortunate that the Delorean never had its
potential maximized. It seems DMCH has a big enough operation to work
some wonders in terms of performance, apparently the customer base is
there.

Harry Vin #2696

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:38:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: I'm back. DeLorean needs help

Dave, I bumped the diode for the cooling fans and they began to work.
Must have been a short inside.
De Lorean water pump capitol.

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:48:19 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Dave, If there is a lean condition via the WUR it will do this. I have a cis
tester I can loan before you buy one and try it. I have them for $139.95
with a 3 year warranty.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/warmupreg-066.jpg

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:46:51 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Idle Problem

The engine produces the same amount of vacuum whether it's idling off
cracked throttle plates, opened manifold screws, or CIS. All three
accomplish the same thing.

One thing cracked throttle plates will do that neither CIS nor the
manifold screws will is open ported vacuum. On a stock DeLo setup that
only affects charcoal canister purge.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

> You should start by readjusting the throttle to the proper position.
You

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:06:27 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

What is the red line of hopped up Euro PRV's? If it's 7,000 or 8,000
RPM, they probably have 24 valve heads.

Don't forget Euro compression is 9.5:1. That was bumped up to 10.5:1
in the Euro B280 (I think Chrysler dumbed it down to 9:1 in its Eagle.
Have no idea what Volvo did in its imports). Higher compression on a
normally aspirated engine yields basically the same effect as forced
induction.

Euro fuel mixture is also 2% CO (twice as rich as US, but compression
is higher).

And there's always the issue of exhaust... Speaking of which, my
Peugeot engine came with manifolds that were not only larger ID than
stock DeLo, but shaped better (each port curved towards the back of
the engine rather than making a 90 degree right angle). I'm running
DeLo manifolds for clearance.

I've located a B280 equipped Volvo in a junkyard in western Maryland
if you want to experiment. $200 if you remove it. Odometer does show
180,000 miles.

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:17:09 -0000
From: "dmc3989" <dmc3989_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Bumper Paint Codes?

Hey guys. Does anyone happen to have the paint codes for both the
bumper black and silver? I have been unable to locate them and I have
heard DBC 33584 for the silver, is this correct?

Thanks,
Josh

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:27:11 -0400
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social - Itinerary and Directions Available

The Itinerary and directions for the spring social are now available on the
club's web site.
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

With the event less then 4 days away, most of the details set, and the
weather looking to be awesome....there is not much more to say about the
event other then it should prove to be totally amazing!   We hope to see all
of you there this weekend.    We are close to our goal of 40 cars in
attendance.  We need every car we can get so that when the media outlets
cover the event, we can show them that we intend to carry on JZDs dream.

Come out, win some nice stuff, have some food, be in the photo shoot, talk
Deloreans, take a drive with us, HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:30:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rusty Shackleford <squall67584_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I am currently doing research into using the VQ35DE V6 that currently comes in the Nissan 350Z, the Infiniti G35, and several other cars in their line up.  In my opinion, it has the best stock performance numbers so far, being 285 hp or so, and the after market community is quickly coming out with parts, mainly turbo kits at this time.  This engine mounted to a Porsche transaxle with LSD should make for a good performance addition to the DeLorean.

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:35:45 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Valve cover gasket special

Group, I just got in 50 sets of Valve cover gaskets. If anyone is
intrested. $5.00 per set. These are nice and thick. Please limit 2
sets per.
Order on line and say DML special in the comment box.

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:47:48 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

> I'm hearing of people having too low of an idle-while
> I can't get mine anything under 7-8 hundred.
> How low can a factory new engine idle?

The idle speed motor is designed to maintain a constant idle under varying
loads. It was designed to do this with an idle speed of 750 rpm.

On my car, I took an extra wrap on the butterfly valve spring so that I
wouldn't have to use the throttle spool/rod to force the valve closed. This
solves a common high-idle problem, and has the added benefit of allowing me
to remove the slop from the throttle cable, so that the pedal has almost no
free-play before kicking in.

The needle valves are closed and the idle adjusting screw is backed out to
where it is not stopping the butterfly valve from closing completely. The
low idle switch is adjusted to just activate in this position.

With this setup, the car idles smoothly when cold at 750 rpm. When it gets
warm, it idles smoothly at 750 rpm. When I turn on the lights and A/C it
idles smoothly at 750 rpm. At idle, in first gear, going up a hill, with the
lights and A/C on, it idles (not quite as smoothly) at 750 rpm. At idle in
fourth gear, on a level road,...

Personally, I love having it set up this way. The only possible downside is
that my D150 alternator doesn't fully kick in until I get above idle. In a
long parade with the A/C on, I noticed a slow voltage drop, but I'm not
willing to accept the hunting idle I got when I tried to use the idle speed
screw or the needle valves to increase the idle.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:51:27 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

Am I missing something?  Why do you want your engine to idle below 700  -
800?  I thought 775 was the spec. On a properly operating engine, the  idle speed
is controlled by the Idle Speed Motor and its ECU not by any  screw.  Correct?

Dē & 6530

Message: 15

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:14:35 -0700
From: "darryl" <dtinnerstet_at_dml_centurytel.net>
Subject: more power

Marc, have you talked to John Lane at Pacific Rim Automotive in Seattle?  He has a race-proven 500HP PRV in his Volvo.  I have seen it, it's for real.

Darryl T.

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:24:26 EDT
From: AdamRayVaughn_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: door adjustments

Does anyone know of a good place around Bucks  County, PA that can do door
adjustments for the delorean?  Or does any  Delorean owner living around this
area know how to adjust the doors?  If so  please email me off list.  I know
about the spring social but I may not be  able to make it there.  I'm guessing
that there has to be some  convenient way I can get my doors adjusted other than
making it to this  once a year event!  Thank you in advance.

     Adam

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:28:44 -0500
From: "bjmccool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Saturday Night Live Spoof DeLorean House

I actually remember watching this skit when I was about 11. Didn't Joe
Piscopo play JZD? Who was the host? I looked in the back logs of SNL and
couldn't find the epidode with this skit in it a while back.

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:51:24 -0600
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

I myself am looking into doing a 3 rotor mazda twin turbo which is
equivalent to a 9 cylinder in power, it is a rotary and is aluminum,
therefore you get lots of horsepower without the weight.   Of course
you need to get the engine with its wiring harness and ecu.   my
problem is having the adapter done to the tranny.   I feel reasonably
sure that the uh1 will handle it as long as you don't consistantly rev
high and dump clutch.

My 2 cents worth!
Rodney
3300

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 04:54:03 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Who wouldn't want their car to idle at 500 RPMS with gas prices lately? :)

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:53:04 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cruise control question

Thanks for the reply, Ed!

I think the coil is bad. My ohm meter shows "1" for an open circuit
and "0.000" for closed. The coil tested at "0.489", so I'm guessing
it's bad. Boy, I sure hope fixing it is this easy. I'm going to take
it back to the store tomorrow and swap it for another one.

The magnets are fine and I got the coil as close as I dared. I
reviewed the directions several times, everything is installed
properly as best as I can tell, although I'm still not sure if I was
supposed to use just 1 magnet or 2. (1 for RWD, 2 for FWD is what it
says. I used 2.)

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your reply. Without it I would not have
known how to test the coil and wouldn't even have thought it could be
bad. It's all brand new so one just assumes it should be good. :)

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:47:08 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Engine Block Coolant Drain Plugs........Question.....

Hi All

After putting my car back together after a pump change...Im in the
process of flushing out the remainder of the coolant from the engine
block . I am wondering where the engine plug is for the drivers side
block.... There seems to be 2 plugs on this side ??? I have found the
one on the pass side above left of the oil filter. Seems to be well
stuck in .....

Regards

Yorkshire, UK

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:47:08 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

OK, let's get to the nub of the matter. The PRV was only really a
"performance" engine in the Renault Alpine A610 and GTA V6 Turbo, the
latter of which has the same engine (basically) as the Renault 25 turbo.
In France, the really rare version was the Safrane bi-turbo but don't go
thinking this'd be a strait swap. There was also the 24 valve version
but it's rare outside France. I'm ignorign the Venturi because they
developed their own internals and heads.

All are even-fire with EFI and electronic ignition running from a
bespoke 66/3 flywheel trigger.

The A610 "only" puts out 250bhp as standard but in a recent magazine
article, it was put up against all of the newer performance renaults,
for example a the Clio V6. Some of its competitors (on paper) were way
above it in the HP stakes and all were tuned, tweaked and generally
worked on to get the best out of them. The A610 was 100% standard. It
wiped them all out in every single test.

The DeLorean engine is odd-fire. It's a 90 degree V6, and put simply, 90
degrees does not divide evenly into 360 when you're working with 6
pistons. This is why V8s are usually 90 degrees and V12's can be either.
The three crank pins are 120 degrees apart in the DeLorean engine and
this means that the pistons do not fire exactly 60 degrees apart but
instead they fire in pairs. For a turbo application this means that the
air flow in the intake will not be constant and three pistons will see a
higher pressure than the other three when under boost.

Renault made the engine even-fire by cleverly offsetting the shared
crank pins by 30 degrees from one another. They also increased the
diameter of the crankpin substantially, and uprated the conrods, pistons
and installed sodium cooled valves and of course the cams are totally
different and lack the drive gear for the distributor.

So, to summarise - the Legend turbo engines are unique because they
stick with the odd-fire engine and K-jet injection which will have a
custom setup on the control pressure regulator to enrich under boost.
The distributor will be custom made for the correct ignition curve. The
crankshaft should be custom made to increase the size of the crankpins,
and the cams will be custom made too.....

Essentially you have to swap our nearly all the engine internals to
turbocharge one of these engines whether sticking with K-Jet or going EFI.

But I'm not saying it can't be done with off-the-shelf parts....

Martin

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:52:19 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

content22207 wrote:

>Don't forget Euro compression is 9.5:1.

Really? I have a list of CR's in my Renault manual showing variations of

7.6   8.0   8.6    8.8    9.2    9.5    9.6 - all set by the dome in the
piston crown

I'll leave you to work our which engine has a CR of 7.6

>Euro fuel mixture is also 2% CO (twice as rich as US, but compression
>is higher).

Renault do/did sell in the Swiss market with closed loop lambda control.
I expect the US versions were based on this experience