From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2572
Date: Saturday, April 16, 2005 9:36 AM

1. Re: Another "header" post
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. DMC (Texas) Headlight Switch Project (update)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. RE: Not meant to be.
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

4. Re: So let's quiet this baby down...
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

5. Re: Another "header" post
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

6. WAS Re: Ben Byrd started a DeLorean service center in Ft Lauderdale back in 80s
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Re: re:Idle Problems
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: So let's quiet this baby down...
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

9. RE: Re: idle problems
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

10. Dome light question
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Eibach Shocks and Springs Installed
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

12. someone just sent me an e-mail...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

13. Reminder - Celebration Exotic Car Festival
From: dmcnews

14. Re: Re: Another "header" post
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

15. dome light
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

16. Re: Another "header" post
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. San Diego Rolling British Car Day April 17 Reminder
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: High Idle Issue
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

20. Stuck in Omaha-Loud noise in Accumulator
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

21. DMC on Japanese TV (For Rob Grady)
From: Chris Nicholson <christransdmc_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

22. Granholm funds poor MI citizen for DeLorean repairs
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Big "Tyres"
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. outer rack?/fuel pump
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: Not meant to be.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:22:00 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Another "header" post

Alpine (A610 and GTA V6 Turbo) headers don't fit. They're manifolds, not
headers anyway because they drive a turbo. They're the same as on the
Eagle Premier I believe. Tubular jobbies that curl round and up nest to
the rocker cover. Our chassis is in the way. The only other alternative
is this

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/discuss.htm

Martin

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:42:10 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) Headlight Switch Project (update)

With about 4.5 months left to go, we're at 152 pre-orders as of today.
That leaves less than 100 orders required to get these new headlight
switches made and available. I want to thank all the owners and vendors
that have placed their pre-orders:

http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch.asp

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:02:05 GMT
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: RE: Not meant to be.

Hi John,

Yes I did replace the alternator last year.  The light does come on when I try to turn her over, and prior to shutting off it would stay on unless I reved the engine over 2k.  I'm going to try dropping the alternator and taking it in with the battery to Autozone so they could check it for me.

Thanks for the input.
Luis & 3723

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:13:25 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: So let's quiet this baby down...

Another cost effective route is to get to Lowe's Home Improvement to
the roofing section and get a few rolls of Peel 'n Seal.  It's almost
identical to dynamat original, but without the brand.  It isn't as
thick as dynamat extreme.  It's aluminum backed rubbery stuff, and it
is adhesive.  Priced at $12 for 12 square feet, you can afford to
double or triple it up before you begin to approach the price of an
equivalent amount of dynamat.

I've used it not on my DeLorean yet, but my other car and it works
great even after 2 or 3 years inside of doors, on the floorboard, etc.

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:20:14 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

The sad part is they won't sell just the headers individually.
Another sad part is that the system isn't stainless, for whatever
reason.  When I priced DMCUK's totally stainless exhaust (which also
includes everything), it was around $1,800 (Martin, correct me if I'm
wrong).  Which would YOU rather have?

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:44:19 +0100
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: WAS Re: Ben Byrd started a DeLorean service center in Ft Lauderdale back in 80s

who maintains that list? I found a set of photos of VIN number 5148
(or 5146 possibly), painted red, in a museum with a possible plate of
BK2FTUR..

any takers? or is this one already well known.

Mike

On 4/11/05, Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com <Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 04/11/2005 10:51:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com writes:
> According to the VIN Listing
> (http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/n_vinlst.pdf) it was a company car
> for B. Byrd . . . who knows what has happened to it since then.
>
> 1981 666 Automatic Company Car (B.Byrd)
> Ben Byrd started a DeLorean service center in Ft Lauderdale back in the early
> 1980s called Scientific Automotive. I have a few "Scientific DeLorean"
> newsletters that he published for his DeLorean repair shop. Evidently, he was an
> automotive engineer and Mensa member with an IQ over 160.
>
> I guess his Mensa designation didn't help him much as Scientific Automotive
> went bankrupt and the US Government went after him for removing the catalytic
> converters on DeLorean cars.

------------------------------------
Mike Green
Software architect

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:07:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: re:Idle Problems

> Mike-The thermister part number is 102480.  It is
> underneath the intake manifold.  You will have to
> remove all of it to get at it.

There is a way to "jump" some wires that plug into the
idle ECU, keeping you from having to replace the
thermister.  Say something if you want to know how to
do that.  Some people are nuts and will replace the
thermister, but there's a much easier way to fix it
without damaging anything ....

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:23:45 -0500
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

 A sprayed coating under the carpet might work on a car with a metal floor
pan because it would dull the resonating effect of the metal but fiberglass
is a more rigid material so the sounds carried through it are of a different
character. I think sound proofing for road noise in the DeLorean would have
to be some type of mat.

Bruce Benson

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:26:46 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

If interested - I can fix them.

I spent several nights in redrawing the schematic, testing, measuring
and so on. I know how to fix those idle ECU's.

Elvis

I've seen about five. Still got three of the bloody boxes being looked
at in an attempt to fix them - the usual "replace all the chips" didn't
work.

I've also seen a bad ignition ECU that was putting out spurious pulses
and confusing the idlespeed ECU. I only found the problem because I had
a digital timing light set to "tach" on #1. It kept flicking from 850 to
1500 momentarily and back down. The idle was what I'd call "fluttery",
and the spurios signals wasn't enough to affect the rev counter.

Martin

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:34:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dome light question

Question:

Bought a dome light from DMCH.  Very nice, sturdy, and
strong.  Bigger light lens and even a blub - very
cool.  Question is I disconnect the three wires on my
old dome light (cargo net light), reconnect the wires
onto the new dome and.....well..I get light if I turn
the light to the engine compartment, but if I turn it
towards the driver and passenger - nothing.  I plugged
up my old dome real quick - everything works
perfectly.  Put Houston's light back on, works one way
but not the other.  I'm not crossing wire connections,
and to be safe, I did cross the two wires on the left
side of the switch.  Nothing new happened.  Any ideas?
 I had to get to work, so I haven't really diagnosed
it too thoroughly yet.

Jeremiah

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:36:43 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Eibach Shocks and Springs Installed

Well I just picked my car up today from Dave Bauerle's shop and have my new
Eibach Springs and Shocks installed.  Not only does the car look much better
than stock, but it rides like I would expect a new car to.  Super smooth,
not as rigid a ride as the old shocks made it.  Plus handling has improved
tenfold with the much lower front end.  I can't say enough good things about
the setup, and I have placed a PowerPoint in the files secion of DMCNews so
everyone can observe how nose high my car was with the old setup, and how
much lower it is with the new setup. It is called "Eibach Shocks and
Springs.ppt".  I also had an alignment done after it was lowered, and the
tow on the front was slightly off.

Well worth the price, this is an excellent kit.  It completely takes away
the "pickup truck" ride that I had with the old shocks and springs.

-Patrick C.

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:41:27 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: someone just sent me an e-mail...

Hey Guys,

Sorry to use the list for this...someone just sent me an e-mail replying
to my parts post the other day, and I accidentally deleted it before I
could even see who it was from.  If you've sent me an e-mail sometime
today about the parts I have available, could you please resend it.
(jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)

Sorry about that,
Josh

Date: 16 Apr 2005 13:02:11 -0000
From: dmcnews
Subject: Reminder - Celebration Exotic Car Festival

Celebration Exotic Car Festival

Date: Saturday, April 30, 2005
Time: 9:00AM - 4:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

The Annual Celebration Exotic Car Festival is coming up the
weekend
of April 30-May 1. The event is held in the Disney-built town of
Celebration, Florida, adjacent to Walt Disney World. The event
benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Saturday April 30 there is a concours held along the waterfront
boardwalk in Celebration. If you have never been there,
Celebration
is a real life "Main Street USA" and a beautiful place for a
concours. There are several sidewalk cafes, an eclectic group of
shops and a nice waterfront promonade.
We are expecting 140+ exotics, including Lotus, Ferrari,
Lamborghini,
Pantera, Aston Martin, DeLorean, and others.
Later that evening there is an optional fundraiser gala with a
silent
auction, entertainment and a 5 star dinner. On Sunday, May 1,
there
is a competitive rally and awards luncheon.
All net proceeds are donated to Make-A-Wish. Last year, $40,000
was
donoted through the efforts of this event.
Dimmitt Lotus (Tampa) is a major sponsor of the event. More
information and the registration form can be found at
www.celebrationexoticcars.com
Please come on out, display your car, have a great time- and
help
these children that are in need at the same time.

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:47:11 -0500
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Another "header" post

One thing to look for in header design is the amount of straight run coming
off the exhaust port. The DeLorean engine bay is pretty tight and header
designs are limited but a set of headers that angle off the exhaust port and
don't allow the flow to get a good start aren't going to free flow properly.
In that case the exhaust deflects a bit against the header wall and rolls
back toward the port. With some straight run off the port the flow gains
velocity and better resists that tedency to roll backward. Tunning the pipes
to an equal length and size balances the cylinders exhaust out put and
offers maximum gain. Trying to get equal lengths in the tight DeLorean
engine bay requires some intricate work with a welder and IMHO justifies the
price.

Bruce Benson

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:50:17 -0500
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: dome light

Jeremiah-It's the blub, son.  Turn it around and it'll be OK.
A little more seriously, it's probably one of the contacts not making.  Call me.  We'll make it right.

Pat-Thanks for the kind words.  I can't say enough good things about the shock/spring set and I'm in the business of exaggeration.  It is the single best thing that can happen to a stock Delorean.

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:46:13 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

There is a place in Canada that sells headers for the Alpine 310 I
believe, these were the headers I was talking about. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:52:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: San Diego Rolling British Car Day April 17 Reminder

Hello,

This is just a reminder that the San Diego 10th annual
Rolling British car Day will be this Sunday April 17.
Details of the event can be found at.

http://www.sandiegobritishcarday.org/RBCD2005.htm

 The event starts at 10:00 a.m. at Krispy Kreme
Doughnuts at 4180 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
I will be caavanning down from North San Diego County
with a few other DeLorean owners.  Anyone can email me
if they are interested in joining our caravan to the
event.
Hope to see you there
-Chris #6453

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:10:37 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social

I just want to say I hope everyone has a great time at the Spring
Social this year - I'm really disappointed that I can't make it down
this year and have to miss the event, as I have alternate plans this
weekend keeping me in Boston.  Perhaps I'll make it to the Fall
Foliage tour.

-Hank #1619

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:42:04 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: High Idle Issue

Hey Mike...

I have had this problem with my car for a while now and was convinced
that it was a vacuum issue.  I didn't discover the real problem until
I installed a air/fuel meter (for the Turbo) on my car.  My O2 sensor
wasn't working correctly and was giving eratic readings.  This was
causing the Frequency valve to run constantly.  That caused a high
idle and sheety (so very sheety) gas mileage.

So a quick test, run your car to operating temp.  If your frequency
valve is still running, it could possibly be your O2 sensor.  Unplug
the Frequency valve...if you car idles normally...that's most likely
the problem.

Hope this helps!
Dave Jacobs

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_s...> wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> It spring so I am back to working on my cars again. I have an '81
5-speed that has a high idle condition. Last fall I suspected that the
idle speed motor on the car was faulty because when I banged on it a
bit the idle on the car would go down for a little bit. The car was in
generally idling around 2000+ RPM's when warm, and sometimes upwards
of 2500 RPM's if I was driving around for a bit.

> Well I replaced the idle speed motor (thanks Toby!) and the car is
still idling high, however it now seems to max out around 1700 RPM's
warm, so there is an improvement and I think the idle speed motor was
part of the problem. I backed of the idle screw on the throttle but I
can't go any further down at this point, so it isn't an adjustment.

> What I noticed was that when I pushed in the clutch I could hear a
slight "woosh" sound and the motor would idle down to about 1500 RPM's
by simply doing this. I did not put the car into gear.

> Also when I turned on the heating/cooling fans inside the car the
car would idle up about 100 RPM's.

> I pulled off the hose that goes from the oil fill to the air filter,
which made no different in the idle, however when I blocked the hole
on the oil fill cover the idle dropped by about 200 RPM's.

> All of this leads me to think I have a vaccuum leak somewhere
causing the high idle. I have looked for it by spraying some carb
fluid around some of the common leaks around the intake, but couldn't
find a leak there. I know there are other places to look, can anyone
advise? Or is there anyone in the Wisconsin or northern Illinois area
that would be willing to assist me in locating this? Thanks much!

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Stuck in Omaha-Loud noise in Accumulator

I just pulled into Omaha and my car started making a loud humming noise
while stuck in traffic.  The noise appears to be coming from the
accumulator - not the fuel pump.

The last few days the car has been running sluggish, about 70% of
normal power and has been harder to start first thing in the morning.
I'm wondering if these problems are related to the new hum/buzz.

Previously, when my D's have had an accumulator problem, the pressure
on the fuel system drops rapidly and is difficult to start after
sitting a few minutes. (I run with a pressure gage on the fuel system
all the time.)  I have 40 psi 20 minutes after turning off the engine.

Thsi is my second D and was in storage (of the improper kind) before I
bought it and went thru the fuel system (pump, accumulator, filter,
CPR, fuel distrib, rremove & flush tank, etc.)

Could the fuel filter be plugged from crud that accumulated in the
lines and did not initially flush?  Am I likely to make it 60 miles
home without a problem?  Any ideas.

Thanks in advance, once again.

Woody

Am I stuck at my girlfriend's house for the weekend?  he he

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:17:27 +0100 (BST)
From: Chris Nicholson <christransdmc_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: DMC on Japanese TV (For Rob Grady)

P.J. Grady's email address is "bouncing" and since Rob and I were chatting he asked me to post this message for him..

Chris Nicholson

A Japanese film crew shot a three minute segment at our shop and
surrounding areas last Sunday. I only had three days notice and they
wanted me to get a group of DeLorean owners together for the shoot. It
all seemed to come off very well and the crew filmed from 9AM to 7PM
so they have a lot of footage to cull three minutes of film from.
FujiTV produced the program and from what I am told are the largest
network in Japan. The show is called N.Y. Style and will air this
Saturday at about 10:47PM (4-16-05) on WMBC channel 63 in the N.Y.
Metro area. The only caveat is that everything but an interview with
me is in Japanese! At least I'll be speaking English but with
subtitle's(Ha Ha). I can't imagine how stupid I'd look speaking
Japanese as I have a hard enough time with English. If you get the
station I hope you enjoy it.

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 03:59:51 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Granholm funds poor MI citizen for DeLorean repairs

...shyeah right. I wish! Maybe she'll go Republican too. :P

Well I'm at the $5K mark or so around the repairs here. I let my poor
DMC-12 sit in the local shop for the past 3 1/2 weeks~ because I
thought I had one small problem with a bolt on the trans (5-speed)
breaking. Boy was I wrong! I just spoke with the mechanic today, and
he says I've got some problem with my reverse gear. All 5 speeds
forward, but no reverse. Apparently, when shifing the car into reverse
put some kinda stress on this bolt thingy and broke it. So he says
there's some problem in my fork or clutch or whatever, and they gotta
take the whole trans out to see what's wrong with it. I'm looking at 1
grande labor here. -FUDGESICLES!!!

*one moment please; user has lapsed into a severe state of semi-
comatose stress*

Okay I'm better now, I thought of my best friend, the girl I love. A
pretty blonde. I think I'll go play Doom 3 now. On maximum gore
settings. I just did a 10 page term paper too. How are all you guys? I
hope much, much better than I am! :)

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 04:04:32 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Big "Tyres"

Just curious, but what size do you all have on your back tires? Mine
are 265's, kind of too big. But they don't rub...much. (I think!)
-John, Mich.

SET=BLASTER I=82 P=DMC12
SET=MIDI SYNTH:1 MAP:BTTF
Autoexec.bat
flux.bat
johnzdelorean.cfg
FILES=88

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 04:12:09 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: outer rack?/fuel pump

Hey all,
I was curious, who out there has the external rack, and the full size
spare? Doesn't that get in the way of rear-view out the sunshade, or
is it raised up? I'd kind of be worried about someone swiping my tire;
maybe if they made a cover with a strap kind of like a Jeep's
BTW: I really am glad I got that fuel pump from John Hervey. It works
great, and I've had no gas smell for quite some time. I also replaced
the fuel hoses under the car. ...Shame about my trans though. :(
-John

"We know it won't run under it's own power, and we know we can't pull
it. But! If we could figure a way to PUSH it up to 88mph..."  -Doc,
BTTF3

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:35:20 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Alternator regulator is shot. Light should go off immediately as the car
starts or sooner. The only other time it should come on is if the belt gets
wet and slips or something like that.