From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2573
Date: Saturday, April 16, 2005 1:28 PM

1. Re: Dome light question
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Re: So let's quiet this baby down...
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

3. Re: Re: Another "header" post
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Reconditioning Leather?
From: "Steve Auyer" <sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com>

5. Re: Big "Tyres"
From: "Steve Auyer" <sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com>

6. WAS Re: Ben Byrd started a DeLorean service center in Ft Lauderdale back in 80s
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

7. RE: Cruise control question
From: "Ed" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: So let's quiet this baby down...
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

9. Re: Reconditioning Leather?
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: Reconditioning Leather?
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Another "header" post
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Another "header" post
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

13. RE: Stuck in Omaha-Loud noise in Accumulator
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. RE: Reconditioning Leather?
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Another "header" post
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:22:24 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Dome light question

The one I bought didn't work either - one of the connections needed a
bit of bending, but I'm not the sort to send a simple item back across
the atlantic when I can fix it myself (ie not compaining) just saying
they aren't infallible.

Martin

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 07:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: So let's quiet this baby down...

I removed my carpet and seats and installed a fiberglass liner mat that
is used on the inside of ductwork on residential and commercial HVAC
systems.  It worked great for sound control but made the seats hard to
adjust due to the extra bulk under the center console.  If I did this
again, I'd probably eliminate lining under the console to avoid thid
problem.

Woody

p.s.  I bought an entire roll of this line and have only used a few
feet - even after selling some to a couple of friends that wanted to
line their cars for the same purpose.  E-mail me off-line if you are
interested.

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:20:40 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Another "header" post

Matt Spittle wrote:

>When I priced DMUK's totally stainless exhaust (which also
>includes everything), it was around $1,800 (Martin, correct me if I'm
>wrong).  Which would YOU rather have?
>
>Matt

Just a FYI - We advertise the exhaust on our website, but we don't sell
them directly. This would be a bit cheeky as it was the DOC UK who
actually paid for the development. We send any enquiries direct to the
manufacturer who will sell the manifolds seperately. You can also buy
interchangable cat pipes if that's your wish. The price, if I remember
correctly is 650+vat for the non-cat system and 950 + vat for the
catted system. vat is a nationwide sales tax of 17.5% which in theory
you guys shouldn't pay when buying from outside the EU. Have alook at
www.xe.com/ucc if you want to work out currency conversions.

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:38:07 -0400
From: "Steve Auyer" <sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Reconditioning Leather?

I bought VIN 3319 last fall but didn't have a chance to do much with it till a month ago. After replacing the frozen
front brake calipers, recharging the AC, replacing all the fluids and doing a minor tuneup on the enging it's now
driveable.

The question I have concerns the leather seats. From the condition (weathered) of the fiberglass exterior trim and
panels, and the cracking of the binnacle, it looks like the car was stored outside in the sun for many years.

The leather on the seats is very hard, almost like plastic, and has some small cracks and checking in areas - I'm
guessing that it has just dried out from exposure to the sun.

Can anything be done to recondition the leather? I just don't want to make things worse.

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:40:38 -0400
From: "Steve Auyer" <sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Big "Tyres"

The standard sizes are 195x60x14 for the front and 235x60x15 for the rear so you're running oversized tires on the rear.

Steve #3319

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:04:58 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: WAS Re: Ben Byrd started a DeLorean service center in Ft Lauderdale back in 80s

I maintain the VIN list. The VIN list is compiled from a number of
different sources, including the DOD (which is maintained by Ken
Montgomery), factory records (such as warranty cards), clubs, and
sightings from DMC VIN "sleuths."

If you run across cars that might not already be accounted for, you
can either drop me a note with the details or you can fill out the VIN
sighting form on the DMCNews web site. The web site has a new form
available now that allows folks to report VIN sightings, and filling
out the form results in the VIN getting added to the VIN list.

If anyone has questions about the VIN list project, let me know.

   Knut

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:02:33 -0400
From: "Ed" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Cruise control question

Thanks for the comments.  I truly hope my post was useful.

On a side note, you bring up a good point.  Brand new does not guarantee it
is good.  It just improves the odds significantly.

Good luck,
Ed

> Anyway, I greatly appreciate your reply. Without it I would not have known
how to test the coil and wouldn't even have thought it could be bad. It's
all brand new so one just assumes it should be good. :)

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:07:01 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

On Apr 16, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Woody wrote:

> I removed my carpet and seats and installed a fiberglass liner mat that
> is used on the inside of ductwork on residential and commercial HVAC
> systems.  It worked great for sound control but made the seats hard to
> adjust due to the extra bulk under the center console.  If I did this
> again, I'd probably eliminate lining under the console to avoid thid
> problem.

You can minimize the problem of seat-adjustment interference from extra
padding by adding a few shim-washers to raise the seats a bit.  Just
make sure you add the same number all around.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:12:45 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Reconditioning Leather?

Steve, try a product called Leatherique.  Leatherique.com or Leatherique.org
has it, I believe I used Leatherique.org since it had a secure ordering page
at the time when the other one didn't. It made my seats glove soft again,
ask any owner who has seen my car.  I have posted pictures of the absolute
crap that it took out of my seats in the DMCNews Photo section under
"Leatherique Results".  And I had been using various leather products for a
year and thought they were doing a good job...the white towel I used came
out brown from all of the dirt and gunk that was forced out of the seats of
my then 13,000 mile DeLorean by the Leatherique.  They also sell a dye kit
that should hide the cracks in the dye in your seats.

Amazing stuff, I was skeptical at first, but it made my seats look, feel,
and smell like new.

-Patrick C.

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:54:47 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 04/16/2005 10:42:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com writes:
Can anything be done to recondition the leather?
I use two products for leather care, one for repair of old leather and the
second for maintenance.  I use a product called Leatherique.

www.leatherique.com

 I'm not affiliated with Leatherique just a satisfied customer. I was
introduced to this product at a BMWCCA event about 5 years ago.  In fact, Leatherique
is still endorsed by Lotus, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, etc., since 1968. There are
several steps to reconditioning leather seats, and if you can follow
directions, it is easy to use.

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:58:31 -0000
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Another "header" post

Just FYI, I bought a DMCH Stage II engine almost 2 years ago.  The
engine is great, but I'm not as impressed with the exhaust.  Less than
six months after I purchased it, it turned orange with rust.  Back
then, I was driving it during an Indiana winter, in which case
"ceramic coating" just means that it will take an extra two weeks to
start rusting.

About 8 months after I bought the engine/exhaust, my DeLorean ceased
to be my daily driver, simply because I finally got around to buying
another car.  The exhaust continued to degrade, however, despite the
fact that in the last year I haven't even driven the D in the rain.
Two of the four brackets that hold the heat shield onto the muffler
have broken off because of rust.  Also, I believe the DMCH exhaust was
designed to be a very visible and prominent feature when viewing the
car from the rear, and it is.  It looked very intimidating when it was
new, but when it's rusted, it just looks terrible.

James had offered to re-coat my exhaust system for free (complete with
shipping to and from DMCH), but I opted not to do it because I would
have had to pay a mechanic to remove and reinstall it.  Additionally,
I would have needed a rental car (I estimated 3 weeks) because the D
was my daily driver at the time.

James may want to respond to this -- I believe they were working on
getting a better coating (maybe this was the supply issue?) so it may
not be as big a problem as it was 2 years ago.  Still, it's just a
coating.

Another thing about the exhaust that I don't like is that it's just
too loud.  I knew a free-flow exhaust was going to be loud, but I
didn't know it would be this loud.  The stainless exhaust available
from the UK is customizable.  I would be willing to sacrifice a little
power for a little quiet.  They also have the option of no cats, which
is nice if there is no emissions testing in your state.  One more
consideration is the exhaust note -- DMCH exhaust has a low rumble,
stainless UK exhaust has a european "rasp" (in this case I actually
prefer DMCH).  But these are all just personal preferences...

Aaron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_p...> wrote:

> The sad part is they won't sell just the headers individually.
> Another sad part is that the system isn't stainless, for whatever
> reason.  When I priced DMCUK's totally stainless exhaust (which also
> includes everything), it was around $1,800 (Martin, correct me if I'm
> wrong).  Which would YOU rather have?
>
> Matt
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> >

> > Only $1,500??? I'm calling Warren then, I thought these were much
> > more- this price isn't bad at all. Your previous headers-where they
> > also ceramic coated?? -----Dani B. #5003
> >

> > --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "James" <james_at_dml_u...> wrote:
> > >

> > > We'd pulled the exhaust system off the market while we got supply
> > > issues resolved, and expect to have them available as early as next
> > > week. Muffler, dual catalytic converters, and headers for $1495.
These

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:29:34 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Also, the stainless doesn't change color from heating up and cooling
down over and over again? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:00:09 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Stuck in Omaha-Loud noise in Accumulator

Woody, Try replacing the fuel filter screen on the fuel pump. Sound travels
and the chatter may be showing up there.

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:14:33 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Saddle soap well.   Follow with Lexol (I hand rub it in), or Letherique.
May need a few light applications.  Makes a big diference.      Drive
Stainless.    Robert   VIN  6924

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:26:19 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Do you have the stainless exhaust on your car? I'm curious to know how
the DMCH exhaust sounds compared to DMUK's. -----Dani B. #5003