From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2578
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 4:22 PM

1. Re: DMC/Bricklin
From: "bjmccool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. Re: Re: front camber/suspension anomaly
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

3. Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

4. Re: DMC/Bricklin
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

5. Cores
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: DMC/Bricklin
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

7. Re: How many Island Turbos
From: advantics_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: front camber/suspension anomaly
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Front and Rear Fascias
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

10. Aircon hi/low pressure connector plugs
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

11. Re: front camber/suspension anomaly
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Re: How many Island Turbos
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:26:33 -0500
From: "bjmccool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DMC/Bricklin

 Going a little further with the search, I found more info on this guys
company at this website:

http://rqriley.com/

Seems he is somewhat of a pioneer in GRP/Composite technologies, similar to
what was proposed for the Delorean.

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:11:39 -0700
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Re: front camber/suspension anomaly

Harold McElraft wrote:
> Have you checked the upper suspension bushings? Collapsed bushings
> could account for that much negative camber - but, I would expect
> the problem to be somewhat obvious. -1.7 degrees is a lot (over 3/4
> in.) Something out at the bottom end could be at fault too allowing
> the bottom of the wheel to shift out. Is the lower control arm
> tearing apart at the ball joint (this seems to be happening more and
> more)?

The joints all seem fine, no play and no obvious damage.  The ball joints are in good shape.

> PS - What is the ride height? Does the wheel come back into spec at
> the correct level 5.5 in.? Maybe the new spring is bad?

Sorry for the confusion -- the new ride height is 1 inch lower than before, but the delta is the same, both with the old springs and the new.  Just learned that the alignment guy measured the ride height using the frame panels as reference, so I'm less worried about that now -- normal body variation could explain that.  The weird LH camber is a concern, though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Owen

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:16:25 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?

I have a set of these installed on my car:

http://projectvixen.com/horns.htm

HOWEVER: Listen to Dave Swingle! If you're gonna install these horns,
you're gonna need to install a relay. I didn't, and it melted the wire
for the horn, where it connects to the switch assembly.

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!

On the flip side, these horns have a nice mellow, yet loud tone that
scares the shit out of people....

-Robert

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:35:03 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

That's the Centurion. It's one of those R.Q. Riley kit cars that you
could build yourself. If you want to know more, check out their
website _at_dml_: http://www.rqriley.com/

The Tri-magnum always reminded me allot more of the DeLorean, and
would be a cool one to build IMO. And pretty much the only one that I
would consider building as a serious/practical project. Take a look,
and you'll see what I mean.

Their website also has an informative how-to section on GRP. How to
shape, build it, and create allot of these wild car designs. Seeing a
recent DIY boating show on how to fabricate radio boxes, and other
fibreglass assemblies for marine applications, it wouldn't be
difficult at all to fabricate these projects. Just need space, time,
and a few tools.

-Robert

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/compact.htm

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:19:11 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Cores

Group,
Don't throw it away without ckecking with me. Contact me first.
I will buy, or trade for some of the cores.

Clutch master cylinders
Clutch slave cylinders
Fuel Distributors
Fuel injectors
Brake Master cylinders
Brake calipers front and rear
Water pumps
Cold Start valves
Frequency valves
Idle speed motors
Radiator fan motors
Switches, all

Just to name a few.

Email or call
972-564-9321

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:12:22 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

The Urba Centurion is a DIY car that's been around at least as long as
the DeLorean.  While its wedge-like styling is vaguely similar to the
DeLorean, the Centurion was intended for super high efficiency
transportation, not speed or luxury.  Cleveland's Crawford Auto/Aviation
museum, which many of us visited for Ken's show in 2000, has one on display:

http://www.wrhs.org/cfm/auto/autoimage.cfm?auto_id=202

I've seen the Crawford's Urba Centurion up close many times.  It's a
cute little thing.

While a diesel powered Centurion can supposedly achieve 128 miles per
gallon, the Centurion's big claim to fame is a brief appearance in the
movie Total Recall.  I occasionally notice that the plans are still
available on the internet.  I have no idea where potential builders
acquire the plastic body panels.

- Mike Substelny
In sunny (I'm not kidding, folks!) Cleveland

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:55:37 EDT
From: advantics_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: How many Island Turbos

How do you tell if your turbo is an Island turbo? I have a twin turbo, but
bought the car that way.

John 5326 & 1383

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:55:52 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: front camber/suspension anomaly

I've seen that - measuring ride height from the SS panels is not very
accurate. Between twist in the fiberglass and some randomness in how
the panels are attached to the car, many cars will measure this way.
Best measuring point is probably the frame just inboard of the lower
control arm mounting point.

Another interesting note is that the factory ride-height spec
measured to the center of the front suspension crossmember seems to
be accurate on lowered cars. I had to add about 300 pounds of weight
to a "stock" car to get it to match the factory spec. Now that it's
lowered its right-on.

Camber is a sign of a twist in the frame or the control arms, Caster
angle is set by the sway bar (Lotus "feature", note that the sway bar
sets the front/back angle of the lower control arm) and a bent
swaybar or even bent frame horns (where the sway bar is attached to
the frame at the front) will impact that measurement.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:20:09 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Front and Rear Fascias

I got an email from a customer and DML'er yesterday asking about our
"refurbished fascias" and how close they are to NOS, since he had heard
through the DMC "rumor mill" (his words, not mine) that we were out of
new fascias.

This is NOT true.

We still have hundreds of NEW, ORIGINAL front and rear fascias, as they
were delivered to the Dunmurry factory, painted, boxed and ready to install.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2284&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2285&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

The price is $674.99 each.

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:59:57 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Aircon hi/low pressure connector plugs

I hope Specialtauto (John Hervey) does not mind me using his nicely labelled
image to show the area I am confused with.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/AC-accumulator-connections.jpg

Both switches have 2 prongs, why does the 'low' one have a third wire using
a crimp within the moulding not needed?

 I have found that the wire sheath has split just above the plug/moulding to
expose the copper within.  The split is too close to the moudling to allow a
thorough repair.

What is the best solution as this is exposed to the elements?

Thanks in advance

Chris H
vin5255 in the UK

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:24:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If the camber is as far off as you say then you have to condsider the
posablity of bad/worn/bent parts, bent frame or rusted frame. All of
this should be fairly obvious. I just had a car done and the castor
was off so we swapped washers on the upper control arm. There are 4 of
them, 2 on each side between the frame and the control arm. We moved
all 4 to one side and got it almost there. I finished it up with a
washer between the lower control arm and the sway bar. We needed 3
shims on the left trailing arm and 4 on the right. Now the car rides
great, even on the old NCT's. BTW the front toe is very sensitive, it
took a couple of tweaks to get it "on the numbers" and the steering
wheel centered. Before an alignment remember to check the tire
pressures and take all the junk and extra weight out of the car. The
"best" thing to do is to put sandbags in the car at the driver's
position to simulate the driver's weight while adjusting the car. Ride
height is important to setting up all the other adjustments. On most
cars (including Deloreans) as the height changes the other settings
change. They are not supposed to but they always do a little. There
are a lot of alignment tricks that can be done to better maintain
things, especially if you lower the car. This is why you really do
have to go to a shop where the technician is more than just a wrench
turner. A sharp technician can adjust the unadjustable. Don't forget
if you do change (lower) the ride height you should re-aim the
headlights. I don't know how the roads are in your area but I am
afraid to lower a car with the roads around here! Roads-We don't NEED
ROADS! (well, I still do, even with the turbo conversion!)

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:20:12 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?

All I can find on that website is "FIAMM 72102 Freeway Blaster- High Note"
and "FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster- Low Note"  Think these would do it?  I
don't see the part numbers that Project Vixen used available anymore.

-Patrick C.

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:39:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There are only 3 different turbo set-ups if you don't count the
occasional (rare) one that an owner may have done a one-of. There is
the Legend set-up with it's distinctive air horn over the mixture
unit. You will probably never see one unless you are in New Jersey or
Long Island (or in pictures). Another turbo set-up was the BAE which
is a single turbo and is easily noticed by the air horn arrangemnent
on the intake manifold. The 3rd and by far most common turbo setup is
Island Turbo or Twin Turbo setup. It is quickly identified by the 4
pipes that go up and down to the turbos. Chances are that yours is the
Island Turbo install. Along with the turbos they did a "package" which
included a 170 MPH speedo. If you post a picture we can confirm it for
sure.