From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:44 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2579

1. Re: front camber/suspension anomaly
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

2. Source of My misfire and other problems
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

3. Re: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: How many Island Turbos
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Lambda Lambda Lambda
From: delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?
From: Farrar <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. backing up
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

8. Re: Lambda Lambda Lambda
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Johnny Carson's car on ebay
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: Lambda Lambda Lambda
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: Re: How many Island Turbos
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

12. Re: Lambda Lambda Lambda
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. dead battery
From: "fluxmcfly" <bfreyguy_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Anomalous brake light
From: "mdcdmc81" <mcho628_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns? spontaneous defecation
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Re: Source of My misfire and other problems
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Brake upgrades?
From: "squall67584" <squall67584_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: backing up
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

19. Re: How many Island Turbos
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: DMC/Bricklin
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

21. Lawrence Tech University April 22, 2005
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

22. How Many BAE Turbos?
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns? spontaneous defecation
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

24. Re: How many Island Turbos
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

25. Re: Anomalous brake light
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:25:57 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: front camber/suspension anomaly

Inspecting the swaybar fixed my alignment problems. The bushings were worn, and the washers behind the control arm bushings weren't even there-both my front tires are bald on the outside, and have full tred on the inside. Now the tires sit evenly on the pavement while the car is going straight, but still tends to ride the outside of the tire when I'm cornering. Were the rubber insulators used when the new springs were installed? Obviously from all the posts-, the best thing to do is inspect everything on the front end. As said before, your looking for worn, bent or broken parts. If your ball joints are old, new ones are so cheap its good to replace even if you're old ones aren't worn yet-it is hard for an average person to tell if their ball joints are bad. Seems that your problem was the same as mine-start by checking the swaybar bushings and washers, and make sure everything is tightened down. Hope this helps, and hope it is an easy fix for you -----Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:33:32 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Source of My misfire and other problems

After having my car in the shop to have the coolant eaten heads
repaired I had a heck of a misfire at idle which I think was always
there to some extent but  having the top end of the engine tightened up
made it more pronounced.

I had put a new set of Bosch plug wires on about a year ago but decided
to give it a go and replace them. As I pulled them off the car I used
my trusty DMM to test the resistance  of them and found out they were
all over the place varying from about 3.5 ohm to 18 ohm with with one
of them being open. (On cylinder #4, the plug wire would not come loose
without a lot of tugging when I tried to remove it so it's possible
that I stretched and broke it in the process). I tested the resistance
of the original coil wire and found out it was around 38 ohm. Replaced
the coil with a new Bosch blue ( funny, thats the same coil that was
used in my old air cooled Volkswagen) and fired it up and no more
missing.

Started to check the air fuel mixture with my dwell meter and notice
that the frequency valve was only working some of the time. It would
hang around 21 degrees on the dwell meter no matter where I adjusted
the mixture to.  I decided to jump the plug and see if the FV had
crapped out on me and when i unplugged the connector i noticed that it
was real warm and the relay smell kinda cooked. The plug for the
fuel/rpm relay was a little brown in spots where it had overheated. So
now I think I have tracked down the loss of power on acceleration. Got
a new relay and will put it in tonight and hopefully I will have a
happy, smooth idling car now. Tested the FV just for good measure and
it seems to run ok.

I have one question for the group.  If I pull a vacuum on the charcoal
canister where the vacuum hose from the air intake hooks up should it
hold the vacuum? From what  I understand the when vacuum is applied to
that port it should cause the diaphragm to move and allow the built up
vapors to be pulled into the engine. I'm just not sure if the vacuum is
supposed to leak off or if it should be more like the vacuum advance
and hold whatever vacuum it has.

Phil Priestley
Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:05:28 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?

I'm actually looking at getting these from Griot's Garage...italian air horns.  Reasonably priced too, with everything included to hook them up.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839

-Patrick C.

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:23:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: How many Island Turbos

FWIW, there is also a Legend SINGLE turbo setup.

As far as I know, VIN #528 is the only car with this
setup.

It looks similar to the BAE kit.

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:48:02 EDT
From: delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Lambda Lambda Lambda

Hey Guys,
    I'm pretty sure I have narrowed my  problem down to the Lambda ECU.  My
Frequency valve will not come  on...well.. ever.  Thanks to Rich A I have been
able to test all the parts  of the system.  The car runs no differently with
the Lambda ECU  disconnected or the frequency valve disconnected.  I'm
surprised how well  it runs without the Lambda system but I want this fixed.

Before I buy a new ECU I just wanted to see if there is  anything else I can
do.

keep it real

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Farrar <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?

</lurk>

Dave S. has done just that, and I believe the details
can be had on his website, projectvixen.com.

Farrar

<lurk>

I always thank the dinosaurs for a plentiful supply of 10W30.

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:32:03 -0500
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: backing up

Nick called from the desert today wanting to know where the back-up switch was.  On his five-speed it's on the LH side of the transmission case, not rigged to the shift linkage the way he thought.  It's an easy fix, I told him.  Put the wires back where they're supposed to be or change the switch out.  Use a 7/8" wrench.  The wires go one on either blade.  Piece-o-cake.

After we hung up, it occured to me that the automatic isn't so easy to explain or fix.  On the A/T, the back up lights are controlled by the multi-function switch, which is part of the comparator governor.  The multifunction switch is the cone-shaped end of one of the cables and plugs into the transmission just above the pan on the passenger's side.  It's held in place by a C-shaped clip that is bolted to the case by two small cap screws.  This clip has two little fingers that mate with a tab on the body of the multi-function switch.  They hold the switch in the proper 'clock' position so that the linkage inside the transmission will push the correct button on the switch. If the switch is cocked the wrong way just a liilte bit, the reverse lights won't come on.  It has happened that a forever nameless mechanic had not put this all together quite right once when changing a governor.  He was fortunate enough to notice before the car moved off the hoist that the backup lights d!  idn't work after he finished the installation.  That's where his luck ran out.  He did NOT remember that the hole into which the multifunction switch is plugged is below the normal level of fluid in the pan.  Muttering about forgetfulness, he whipped out the nasty little screws and grabbed the switch to re-position it.  That's when a tedious and greasy job just got more tedious and much more greasy.  It's not often that a mechanic has to change clothes in the middle of the day, but change he did, rather than wear a pint and a half of Dexron ll all afternoon.

The lesson here is not so much memory, but sequence.  Check the back-up lights BEFORE you top the tranny up.  If they don't work, you won't waste fluid or worse, wear it.

Parts you may need if your reverse lights are out. http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1626&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1268&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2629&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:17:02 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Lambda Lambda Lambda

Before buying one you could/should borrow a known good one as a test. I
think I have a couple of them around here. . .

Dave S (the list-moderator one)

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:17:42 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Johnny Carson's car on ebay

The car is selling from Canton:

ViewItem&rd=1&item=4544301733&category=31830&sspagename=WDVW

4544301733 item number

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:25:16 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Dave, Take me or someone up on replacing it to see if it's the problem, make
sure the 02 sensor is good. If the FV isn't working then your gas mixture
will be rich.

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:37:33 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: How many Island Turbos

I know of about 30--40  cars with Island turbos.  Most in CA.

There must be 500 of them in storage somewhere!!

This must also mean that a lot of the unregistered Ds are island turbos.

BOB

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:08:49 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Check the plug for the Frequency Valve. After years of mechanics
tugging on the wires to disconnect the FV (instead of grasping the
plug itself), the wires were pulled so far into the plug housing,
they couldn't make a connection with the contacts on the Frequency
Valve.

-Robert

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:46:11 -0000
From: "fluxmcfly" <bfreyguy_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: dead battery

Just recently my battery went dead on my car, I put a new battery in it
this year and a new alternator two years ago. I noticed my gauge was
under 11 volts, if my alternator and battery are good what would the
first thing I would check? Also before this happened my car would not
start, turn over fine but would not start, the next day if started? I'm
wondering if this could be related, if anybody has had this trouble
before or have any insights or thoughts it would be greatly appreciated
thanks Brian  bfreyguy(_at_dml_)aol.com

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:02:09 -0000
From: "mdcdmc81" <mcho628_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Anomalous brake light

I just recently began having my parking brake light come on
intermittently flickering. It started when I went over some bumpy
railroad tracks. It tends to flicker when I hit bumps in the road. I
am pretty sure it is not the switch or the handle. Any thoughts to the
most likely cause? and, Does the light come on when that circuit
becomes open or closed?

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:16:06 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns? spontaneous defecation

An interesting coincedence.  I installed a set of air horns on my
DeLorean about a month ago.  Fiamm horns on sale at Harbor Freight
$13.99.  High note on passenger side and low note on driver side with
the compressor connected to the top flange of the crumple tube just
aft of the steering rack.

They sounded good, but not great.  I liked their shrill Ferrari-like
tone, but they were just not loud enough.  I wanted something that
would let all of the SUV drivers trying to merge into my lane know
that I was there.  Something that would inspire spontaneous
defecation in offending drivers, passers by, and small woodland
creatures.  So this last weekend I bought another set of the same
horns and using a bench vice, a hand drill and few parts from Home
Depot I made twin brackets for mounting twin sets of air horns (I
will post pictures in a few minutes, please ignore the
obvious "issues" beneath my front-end, VIN 10365 is a work in
progress).

Observation:  The horns are loud and irritating, just what I wanted.

Conclusion:  Use a relay and dedicated power leads!!!

Note:  The Fiamm horns that I bought come with relays in the
packaging.

Thank you,
Ben Ferguson
Arizona DeLorean Club, Car Cruise Director - VIN 10365
captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:42:08 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Source of My misfire and other problems

If your hoses are routed correctly, the one from the ported vacuum
barb under the throttle plates should hold a steady vacuum (unless the
diaphragm has a hole in it). That's the purge signal to the charcoal
canister. The evacuation line pulls through a calibrated nipple, so it
operates at less than manifold vacuum.

I just lost a Bougicord wire to the same resistance failure, but I'm
running a 40,000 volt coil (10-12v input). If you're only running an
18,000 volt coil from 8-10v input, Bosch wireset should be fine.

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:22:12 -0000
From: "squall67584" <squall67584_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake upgrades?

I looked in the google search section of the web site but couldn't find
anything newer than 1999.  Has anyone had any luck at finding any
informative web sites that deal with bulking up the brakes?  I know
that the stock 14" wheels are the limiting factor for stock, but what
about brakes that would fit in larger wheels?  I really only think that
the front brakes should be larger, since they do most of the work.

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:06:31 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: backing up

Don't forget Fuse #16. If it isn't passing juice, the switch is bit of
a moot point (being on its own circuit, you can have fuse problems
without necessarily realizing that's the failure point). My own lights
had become somewhat unpredictable. Even though every time I tested the
line to the switch it was live, lights would still ocassionally fail
to illuminate. Turns out the fuse wasn't making reliable contact. A
squeeze of the terminals (plus a new fuse for good measure) returned
the circuit to full function.

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:26:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There could be another reason why we don't see many Island Turbo
set-ups. It might be that the motor doesn't live very long after being
modified like that. Especially if the owner was a little too generous
with the boost! John Conway said to me that once some owners got used
to the kick it would give they always wanted more. Like the song "Too
much is just enough! In this case too much of a good thing is not so good.

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:51:27 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DMC/Bricklin

Wow, that was worth a look, pretty nice looking, the door glass
through me through a loop. Whats up with that?

BC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_m...> wrote:

> Hello group. I was inspired by the Project Delorean site at
> http://www.projectdelorean.com/  ;while searching for some more
> foam/fibreglass projects I found this
> http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Portfolio_Page3.html it appears
to be some

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:29:22 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Lawrence Tech University April 22, 2005

I am proud to announce that my Delorean Vin 3947 Black LTHR 81
Automatic will be on display this weekend at Lawrence Tech,
Southfield Michigan. The event is for a ground breaking ceremony for
a new science research facility as well as a reception and speeches
regarding the leaders & innovators that revolutionized science &
Technology. John Delorean is held in high esteem, the Dean is
gleeful for the presence of the Delorean Automobile. The rest of the
weekend the car will remain indoors during student orientation.
The Delorean will be amongst honor student science exhibits and
revolutionary concept vehicles. John Delorean graduated from this
University with highest honors.

The School contacted Mr. D-Rex Rich W. looking for one Delorean. Rich contacted me with the news. I had
met with Rich at John Delorean's Wake and told him that my car was
close to being delivered to my home. I also explained that I lived
in the area, and if anything Midwest Delorean Club needed in
Michigan to think of me. In fact, I look forward to meeting local
enthusiast and owners.

VIN 3947 is a beautiful example. It has 9,000 original miles, and
had been sitting from 1986 until early last year. I sent the car
from my Dad's barn, who incidentally is the original owner directly
to Dave Bauerle in Delaware Ohio. I know this car inside and out as
I am the one that cleaned it by hand every week with the original D
cleaning kit, that is still offered today. The SS grain is perfect.
This was no easy task and still isn't if you drive it everyday. I
found the trick. Clean it really good, and then cover it. Only drive
it on good days, return home and cover it again. It's great! Just a
touch up here & there and your good to go.

http://www.deloreanmagazine.com/ check this magazine out! Very cool.
In fact, enthusiasts and owners should be supporting all the
magazines DW, Gullwing & DCS. Very important issues with outpourings
of John's passing make it ever more important. Deloreans magazine is
also very good. Couple hundred buck a year and you will be well
informed.

Talk to you all soon.
Byron Demitriou Cancelmo
Licence plate   BYRON D
Of course, I like to think of the D as Delorean.

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:17:29 EDT
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: How Many BAE Turbos?

I personally have a BAE engine in my DeLorean, which I installed about 2
years back.  The used engine and turbo came out of a low mileage wrecked DeLorean.
 I have been very pleased with the performance that the BAE setup has
provided, and I was wondering how many BAE kits were installed on DeLoreans over the
years.  Any ideas anyone?

Andrew
Lansing MI

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:11:31 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Ah yes, dreaded "PO wiring mods" (assuming you ever become a PO).
Don't feel bad, I've made them too -- most of us have, in some circuit
or another. That's one reason DeLorean owners need to have at least a
modicum of electrical ability. And not necessarily to "undo" those
mods -- a PO may have made them for a reason worth keeping (scaring
woodland creatures?).

To be honest, an owner needs to be somewhat self-sufficient with all
systems in the car (not just electrical). These aren't the kind of
vehicles you simply drop off at a third party mechanic. Not that
they're particularly esoteric or exotic (DeLoreans are actually quite
conventional, with only a few exceptions). It's just that most
mechanics have more than enough business already from cars they know
and are comfortable with. They are not likely to take on an unknown
commodity like a DeLorean -- WE know they're conventional, but the
mechanic doesn't.

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:17:43 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Bob,

At the Delorean Midwest Connection Spring Brunch this past
Sunday, we discussed the Membership Drive for 2005 and the
fact there were over 150 registered DeLoreans in IL in 2002
that were "unknown" or "unseen" by our DeLorean club members.

As part of the membership drive, we are sending out pre-paid
postcards with DeLorean related questions to seek information
about these DeLoreans, gauge interest in joining our club and
gauge interest in attending the DeLorean Car Show in 2006.

I'm sure if other clubs pursued this information as we are in
the process of doing, we may have an answer a lot sooner and
more accurate than just speculating about it.  We hope to have
answers to these and other DeLorean questions very soon.

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:31:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Anomalous brake light

There are 2 reasons (if everything is working properly) that the brake
light indicator in the dash will light up. One is if the parking brake
is on and the other is if the fluid is low in the master cylinder
resovoir. Check the level of the brake fluid. If it is really low you
may be leaking it out, not a good thing. It should also not be very
dark looking. If it is very dark it is old and should be flushed out.
Same for the clutch. Remember, these systems are supposed to be
flushed out EVERY 2 YEARS! Use Castrol GTLMA.