From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2581
Date: Thursday, April 21, 2005 3:48 PM

1. Re: How Many BAE Turbos?
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: How Many BAE Turbos?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

3. Re: Lambda Lambda Lambda
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. RE: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

6. Re: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

7. Replacing Front Speakers
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

8. RE: Source of My misfire and other problems
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. DMC Spring Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session - Western PA - Pittsburgh RSVP
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

10. Re: How Many BAE Turbos?
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: How Many BAE Turbos?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

12. Re: How Many BAE Turbos?
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Re: Source of My misfire and other problems
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

14. Re: Replacing Front Speakers
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Replacing Front Speakers
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Source of My misfire and other problems
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Turbo Setups
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

18. Re: Source of My misfire and other problems
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Cement that should be used to secure window guides to door skin?
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

20. Marker Lights/Parking Lights
From: Sean Mulligan <sean_mulligan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Reverse grinding
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

22. Re: Replacing Front Speakers
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Re: Recovering seats
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:26:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: How Many BAE Turbos?

Did you happen to get this car from Fort Walton Beach Florida?
The reason I ask is I went to look at one about a week ago
and the seller sold it the day before (and it was a manual
with black int., just what I'm looking for)

it had a single turbo and the drivers side pontoon was modified

Jamie Hamlin
Ft.Walton Beach, Florida
Vin# 2606 (destroyed in hurricane Ivan)

lordshill_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

Andrew.. The Delorean I just bought has a BAE Turbo. It was installed by
the original owner, from whom I purchased the car, on 5/1/1984.

Roy VIN #0893

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:50:11 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

This owner has pictures of his car on Tamir's site Forum. It has the
best Turbo install i have ever seen so far.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:14:07 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Lambda Lambda Lambda

Check the relay in the yellow socket* it a 2x 15A one, not  a regular
one. I found a source of non-bosch ones for very little, but you can buy
a bosch one from your favourite vendor

Martin

* from your vin# you should have colour-coded relay sockets

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:37:46 -0500
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Upgrading the DeLorean Horns?

The worst wiring modification I ever saw was on a car from the farm belt.
The fuel pump quit and the Farmall mechanic had run an 8 gauge red wire from
the battery, out the door, past the accumulator to the (+) post of the fuel
pump and an equally large white wire from the (-) post of the pump to one of
the belly pan bolts.  The pump and engine ran when it was all hooked up, but
it was less than elegant.  All this because the inertia switch was bad.
(There's a recall).

For wiring troubles, no one has more than the young man on the East Coast
who just chased a large and aggressive rat out of his recently purchased
Delorean.  The rodent had made his home in the jack compartment and eaten
through the front end fiberglass in a couple of places an feasted on wires
throughout the car.  Our man is optimistic, he does auto wiring for a
living.

The inertia switch:
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2477&Qty=1&ShowCart=true.

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:01:07 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Warren,

Just thought I would let you know how much I appreciate your online posts.

An interesting story along with clear cut explanations and solutions.

Scott Mueller 002981

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:54:08 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Is your company responsible for doing the recall?

After all you call yourself The Delorean Motor Company and they were
responsible for doing all recalls.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:09:07 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Replacing Front Speakers

Hey gang,
I recently purchased a set of replacement front speakers which unfortunately do not sit flush against the dash like the stock Craig ones as they have the tweeter slightly raised.  Has anybody had any experience creating a ring (like a gasket) to go around the speaker so that it would stay flush with the dash like the original?  There must be a simple solution to this but as usual the obvious answer always seems to elude me!

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:22:06 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Source of My misfire and other problems

Phil,
Now your getting somewhere. Con Grates on the RPM relay fix. Now you move
on, look for the full throttle switch not working. Meaning the small plunger
doesn't go in and out even thought the flapper is dis-engaged. Naturally
look for pinched wire or loose connections.

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:15:24 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: DMC Spring Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session - Western PA - Pittsburgh RSVP

Hi All,

I just got off the phone with Rob Grady, and he is plannig to attend the
PADMC tech session on May 21st as well (barring any unforeseen emergencies,
of course). This is shaping up to be the biggest and best tech session
yet! Please contact Rob at www.pjgrady.com if you have parts you would like
to order for the event.

Dom Diaz is also planning to bring his new Ferrari 308 to the event as
well, so that will also be interesting to see!

Wed appreciate it if you could drop us a line to RSVP if you are planning
to attend, so we can have the appropriate amount of refreshments on hand.

-Dave

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:40:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

All this talk of the various turbo setups has made me
curious.  Anybody know what the power output of the
the various setups was/is?

(If it's already been documented somewhere, just point
me in that direction.)

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:43:04 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/horsepower.html

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Stankiewicz

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:48:16 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

If the air box was polished and between the engine and the coolant
bottle, and if there is a side mounted intercooler on the driver side
pontoon modified so that the charcoal canister is moved slightly
forward, and if the turbo spec is an IHI, and if the exhaust is a
cylindrical resonator tapped at the center-point for a highflow cat,
then I am pretty sure I know who designed that kit.

Confirm all of the above and let me know.

Thank you,
Ben Ferguson
Arizona DeLorean Club, Car Cruise Director - VIN 10365
captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:04:14 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

I unplugged the WOT switch just to test if it was that. Didn't make a
difference. What I remember from a couple months ago when I had a
grounded circuit on the WOT/ temp probe circuit is that when you hook a
dwell meter up it will hold steady at about 55 degrees or so. This is
holding steady at 20ish degrees.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing Front Speakers

Best to find a speaker that will sit flush..  There
are some out there.  I have not purchased any
recently, so cant give you a model number.

When you are done, the studs may not be long enough
for the speaker.  I solved this problem, but don't
remember how!!  Check the DML archives, I know we have
discussed it before.

Don't just use washers on the speaker you have.  If
there is an air gap between the speaker and the
dashboard with will hurt the sound quality.

The alternative is to purchase a dual-cone speaker
instead of a co-axial.

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:55:45 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I replaced the fronts with Sony 3.5"s .. seeing that small of speaker
will not deliver much bass (have 6x9"s in back wall and a sub) thus I
utilize a simple stack of washers glued together.  Works great and a
simple fix.

Randal (The 3M Guy)
5501

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_c...>

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 02:37:41 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

It sounds like either the sensor isn't working or there is a bad
connection to the lambda module.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:38:24 -0400
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Turbo Setups

FWIW there's a car in Marlborough, MA, with twin turbos. I have the VIN somewhere, I do know it is currently on the road but have never spoken to the owner.

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 03:12:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Go to D:04:15 in the Workshop Manual. Test the Lambda with  5B, C, D,
and E. You may be on the wrong scale so try others so you get similar
readings. If the Lambda ECU can output these values then you can guess
the O2 sensor is contaminated. To achieve a smooth idle you cannot
have ANY vacuum leaks and all the cylinders MUST be balanced very closely.

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:39:01 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Cement that should be used to secure window guides to door skin?

The previous owner of the car I just bought had replaced the driver's
side window motor/mechanism, but was not aware that the
window "guides" (I don't have the exact part description handy at the
moment - sorry)needed to be glued to the exterior door skin in order
to make the window move uniformly up and down.  Currently, it sort
of "floats" around as the window is operated, and goes up and down at
cockeyed angles, etc.!

What kind of cement/adhesive would secure the guides sufficiently in
place?  Thanks,  Paul

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sean Mulligan <sean_mulligan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Marker Lights/Parking Lights

Does anyone know how the marker lights/parking lights
are wired?  My left side is completely out, but my
right side is working.  Cleaned all contacts and all
the bulbs are intact.  Thanks

Sean Mulligan
vin #10054

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:48:23 -0400
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Reverse grinding

Thanks in advance from the helpful ones here.
Had my clutch replaced at a 30+ year transmission garage.
It's been a nightmare.
The job took a week.  He broke bolts, almost lost my repair notebook.
Finally picked up the DeLorean and it had no 5th gear and grinding to
get it in reverse.
They 'discovered' the 5th gear upon a re-adjustment, and said the
grinding reverse just needs to 'work in.'

(I'm kinda stupid, but even I know better than that.)

The clutch master cylinder isn't leaking.  It's full of fluid and has
been bled of any possible air.

The mechanic said he had the flywheel milled.  I was told that's standard.

I just can't seem to get it into reverse now without it making the most
gosh-awful grinding sounds. (Once there, it's o.k.)

Maybe they 'smoothed' the flywheel too much?
Maybe the new clutch plate was defective?
Maybe he dropped it before installing?

If only I lived within a day's drive of ANY Delorean Service Center...

Oliver Holler
Vin#10694

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:52:31 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

I had the same problem.  What I did was to cut the lip off of a
plastic "Big Gulp" cup and then glued it inside the frame of the
speaker.  I also created a couple of metal brackets that fit into the
lip so the studs would fit.  The speakers sit flush and sound fine.

In hindsight, I should have looked a bit harder because I later found
direct replacements that would sit flush.  Check this link:  this is
where I purchased my 3.5's and 4x10's and they also have them without
the raised tweeters.

http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/speakers.asp

Johnny
5518

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:36:04 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Recovering seats

It appears that the document in the files section is a .pdf that
requires Adobe Acrobat to open.

Cheers,