From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2583
Date: Friday, April 22, 2005 2:13 PM

1. Re: Fuel Pump Noise
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. Re: Fuel Pump Noise
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Used Delorean parts on website?
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

4. Re: Fuel Pump Noise
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Fuel Pump Noise
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

6. Re: Fuel Pump Noise
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:47:03 -0500
From: "Warren Wallingford" <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Noise

I'm betting it's the pump.  Also be careful dousing a hot pump with cold
gasoline.  I killed a pump this way once in Deming, NM and have talked to
customers in Las Vegas and Houston who have done the same.
It probably gets worse as the level recedes because there is less fuel in
contact to cool it.  I limped a whiney pump home from Austin one summer
evening.  I was afraid to put gas in the tank for fear of having to wait in
LaGrange, (say),  for the night, so I kept going.  It balked and kicked, but
ran better as the sun got lower.  New pumps fixed all of those.

Ever since Bosch moved their pump factory to Czechoslovakia, I've gotten
more complaints about the OEM pump and had to return more pumps to Bosch.
Our aftermarket pump is much more reliable and cheaper.

Guess what's next.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=3299&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:15:23 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Used Delorean parts on website?

Anyone ever seen this before?
http://www.usedpartslive.com/live/1/year/DELOREAN/

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:29:07 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I'm not a mechanic, but I think the most likely cause for hot gas is
that the return fuel line around the engine is close to a hot
exhaust pipe.

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:35:37 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Dick - My car does this too, but closer to an empty tank than yours.  I
have a couple of observations, but no real solutions.  First, is that a
tank that is less than full makes for a good speaker enclosure.  It's plastic,
and you have a vibrating mass hanging right at one of the less rigid sections
of the tank.  Higher temperature seems to help the fuel cavitate better within
the pump, which increases the noise.  Another thing to note is that the bottom
of the pump hangs about halfway into the tank, which indicates that the fuel
itself provides some audio insulation and probably cooling to the pump.  I
haven't been able to determine if the pickup hose winds up contacting
the tank.  If it does, that could be another source of noise being injected
to the fuel tank.

Short of keeping the tank more than half full, it's not much help, but maybe
it will spark some ideas for solutions...

-------------- Original message from Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:56:23 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

If it goes down below half in lower temperatures does it still make
noise? I would like to say perhaps you have a pin hole in the hose
somewhere and to take it out, plug one end, submerge it in water and
blow on the other and see if bubbles come out somewhere indicating a
hole-but if it doesn't do it in the cooler weather at low fuel levels,
I am not quite sure what would create a noise in the pump. If the pump
draws hot fuel it won't make noise, but if it draws air of it will
sound like a tiny model airplane motor. Put a spring in the hose to
prevent collapsing, even if you take the pump out while the car is
running and watch-doesn't mean it isn't collapsing on the road. Try
taking it out and submerging it in water, couldn't hurt to see if
there are holes. Also, I'm sure you know they are-but check to see if
the clamps are tightened from hose/pump and hose/filter in the tank.
-----Dani B. #5003