From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2589
Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 11:49 AM

1. What gas octain to use
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

2. Re: Re: Burnout and new sound
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. frame reference pictures
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Cracked Windshield
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. A-Pillar replacement WITHOUT removing window??
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. engine struts
From: "gert christensen" <ingegert_at_dml_mail.tele.dk>

7. The return of Gigawatt Fun reprisal to previous post.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Burnout and new sound
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. DCS Magazine
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. What parts should I carry with me?
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. How do I replace a power antenna?
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: What gas octain to use
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: The return of Gigawatt Fun reprisal to previous post.
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Door Opener Adapter
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: What gas octain to use
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Jacking A DeLorean (Cracked Windshield)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. RE: Re: Fuel Pump Noise (Moving the Pump)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: A-Pillar replacement WITHOUT removing window??
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. Re: DCS Magazine
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

20. HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Burnout and new sound
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

22. Re: Recovering seats
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: What gas octain to use
From: Konrad Posch <icypalmtree_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: What gas octain to use
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

25. Re: The return of Gigawatt Fun reprisal to previous post.
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:34:36 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: What gas octain to use

What octain level of gas should I be using, 87, 89 or 91?  Will the
engine run better at higher octains, or am I damaging anything by
using one over the other.  Thanks, Paul

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:52:17 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Burnout and new sound

Bruce,

Thanks for the input.  For the life of me I can't think of anything at all that would be causing it, but you are right - it is exactly like a resonance of some kind.  I'll drive it tonight and see if I percieve it being there still.

As for the possibility of a burnout - this was on a painted shop floor which is being recoated in a week, so I had less than ideal traction.  But that baby squeeled the whole way out.  It was kinda fun and it satisfied my ego for a while.  Everyone at work thought it was cool too ;-)  I won't try it again though because i would hate to blow the clutch or something.  On the other hand, there are a lot of owners that drive way harder than I do.  I am usually quite gentle!

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:37:02 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: frame reference pictures

Does anyone have some good pictures of their frame off restoration
after you have put on all the components, but before you put the car
back onto the frame?  I'm at that stage right now and would like to
have a few reference photos from others.

Thanks,
Erik

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:39:21 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Cracked Windshield

Harold's right about cracks being caused by body distortion.  There is a
lot of flex in the Delorean.  Be careful of trying to close or open
doors while the car is on a hoist.  They don't fit the same as when it's
on the ground.  A radiating web-like crack from one of the lower corners
of the windshield indicates a sharp hit in the front.

If you want to change the a-piller trim, now's the time.  Most of them
have a flap of vinyl that is glued to the fiberglass before the glass
goes on.  The windscreen has to come off to change it.  The iron is hot.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2262&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2362&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2363&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:45:05 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: A-Pillar replacement WITHOUT removing window??

Is there any "TRICKS" to replacing the a-pillars WITHOUT removing the
windshield?

On a car I recently bought the ONLY thing the interior needs is new a-
pillars. The P.O. replaced the windshield with a NOS early style
windshield antenna no less.

I have new a-pillars to install, just was wondering if there is some
way they can be replaced WITHOUT hurting the window, or removing the
window?

Any tips or hints would be great, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Joe O'Brien

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:57:23 +0200
From: "gert christensen" <ingegert_at_dml_mail.tele.dk>
Subject: engine struts

Hej

I need to replace my " engine cover struts "   I do`nt know the pressure ( newton )

     Gert Christensen
     Skagen , Denmark

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:51:04 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: The return of Gigawatt Fun reprisal to previous post.

I appreciate that you noticed Gigawatt in its staging area. It is a car  that
is definitely a trailer queen but it has seen the roads of Tennesee, Ny,  NJ,
PA, Chicago area, Cleveland and many others. You can't say that about  yours.

And wasn't it your car that came from Sandusky that was delivered in
Concours condition to a young new owner who quickly turned his Concours car in  to a
Frankenstein with lowered front end that hits the pot holes, Door launchers
that I remember a wiring mess, and other modified items.  Glad you College
students have the money for that. :-)

By the way cars being rebuilt for tearing off the bottom chasis due to
lowering go outside in the bays for reconstruction LOL  Ah yes and that  familiar
ring of KEN HELP Fix my Brakes or Water leak or whatever.  Music  to my ears :-)

Anytime you want to compete at a car show I'm ready and if you get over 100
MPH maybe you will see some benefit over the lowering.

IN all fairness Patrick has come a long way and has kept this particular  car
in excellent condition despite driving it. (Teenagers) I just like to tease
him a lot.

There is the difference between those that want to drive the cars and those
that enjoy them as I do.

PS
The radio broadcast went fine and I enjoyed doing it.  I will be glad  give
you my autograph whenever you want it and you can sit and if you keep quiet  I
will take you in the radio station and you can watch LOL

PSS when you get home Friday how about helping me convert 16113 to a BTTF
car for the McNicholds High School Afterprom.  There has been a lot of  interest
in the car this year around the Cincinnati area.

See you in Pheasant Run, Chicago 2006

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:03:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Burnout and new sound

The reason I mention an exhaust leak is that under extreme
acceleration the motor will twist in the mounts. The exhaust system
must flex to stay connected. It is possible that under these
conditions a failing component fails. It is likely you had the exhaust
leak all along but this "stunt" finished it off. Noises are
notoriously difficult to diagnose in person, let alone over the
internet. Consider this a "best guess" under the circumstances
explained. It is nothing more than a starting point for you
investigation. Bang on the side of the muffler and if you hear
something loose inside it is likely a baffle came loose. The catalytic
converter acts like a muffler too. If you don't have it the car will
be a little louder. There are gaskets in the exhaust system in places
between the manifolds and the cross-over pipe. You could also have
some broken bolts, studs, clamps, or hangers. A complete visual
inspection of the exhaust system would be a good place to start.
Another place to look is to make sure you didn't destroy any engine or
transmission mounts.

-

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:18:01 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Magazine

Well  the magazines went out today and with some luck you should  receive
them in 8-10 Business days as they went out Media Mail

Some of you may notice that there is a signature request on the  magazine,
We did this to try to convince the post office that they are anything but
efficient and to trace the actual time it takes to deliver a magazine.

If you remember last year I send one out on April 3rd I believe and it
arrived in July.

I am asking you to do me a favor and when you receive your magazine can you
just e-mail me privately and say I GOT IT

this will let me give feedback to the Post office on how long it took to
deliver the magazines since they are adamant that they get delivered in no more
than 8-10 days.

Thanks for the support.  IF you do not have it in 14 business days  e-mail me
please.

IF you have not subscribed or renewed now it the time to do it.
I am sure you will like our spring cover

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:34:19 -0400
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: What parts should I carry with me?

I have been interested in putting together a small emergency tool kit
to keep in my Delorean so while I am on the road, I have common items.
 The problem is that I have no idea what to put into this kit and
that's where you guys come in.

I purchased a 248 piece mechanics tool set from Sears last year and it
has all sizes of sockets, wrenches and allan keys.  I plan on buying
those small 'row nub' socket holders to put in the car.

What sockets should I keep in the car at all times?  Wrenches?  What
else should I always have that isn't a tool?  I currently keep a
fully-charged jump pack in my lock box and a portable tire inflator in
my bonnet.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Aaron Crocco
VIN: 5591
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:36:24 -0400
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: How do I replace a power antenna?

Thanks to a fellow Delorean owner, I have a replacement power antenna
for my car.  My current antenna is broken in the up position and I
would like to replace it.  Is this easy to do?  Is this something I
should have Rob Grady do next time I'm at his shop?  Please advise.

Also, if anyone has instructions / schematics on replacing the
antenna, I would gladly take a copy.  Thank you!

Aaron Crocco
VIN: 5591
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:47:10 EDT
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: What gas octain to use

Unbelievable but true..My car will only run on 93 or 94- octane. If I  put 91
in it's knocks like crazy. I've told this to a few of me fellow Delorean
owners and they think I'm crazy!

Chuck Vin 6125
DCO

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:00:43 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Ken K gives me a hard time for lowering my car with the much improved
over stock DMCH/Eibach setup, yet he sees nothing wrong with converting
a perfectly good DeLorean into a BTTF car?  A black automatic to say the
least...not even screen accurate!  :)

I don't get it...lowered D owners back me up here.  :)

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Door Opener Adapter

Just to chime in on the door opener adapter system. I
just installed it interfacing it to my Zilla keyless
entry system.

I found the installation straightforward with some
minor wiring alterations and a few holes drilled.
It's all spelled out in the directions and I'm no
expert by any means but I was able to install it
myself with only a couple of questions.  It's pretty
cool.

No dis intended towards the Zilla line of course (I've
got every Zilla product on the market)  With a release
date for the Zilla Launcher system not announced yet,
I simply decided I'd like to have opener capability
this summer. I was concerned about the interface
between the two systems but was able to figure out the
connections on the keyless box and the opener relays.
Overall, it works great.

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:08:21 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Insecurity

Hi Gang - Just a quick point of clarification on this
message and
the one that initiated the thread ... The Wings-A-Loft
Elite System
is not based on the Compustar alarm system.

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:11:14 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

Go with 87.  It's cheaper, higher octanes don't offer any performance
boosts, and I'll even go one further and say that the owner's manual clearly  states
to use 87 (US method; Eurospec was 91 I think).  The DeLorean's PRV  engines
are *not* high-compression ratio, nor are we turbocharged  (usually).  Higher
octane (as far as I know) will prevent pinging  (pre-detonation), and *only*
that, and usually does not offer any boosts in  performance.  Just drains the
wallet that much more that could be spent  elsewhere.  :-)

Hope this helps! :-)

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:23:37 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Jacking A DeLorean (Cracked Windshield)

This is why I don't trust the factory jacking points. I always jack
mine by the frame (flimsy itself, but less so than the fiberglass).

I also carry a generic scissor jack with flat cradle so I won't have
to use the factory one on the side of the road (on big trips I carry a
floor jack and jack stands).

I know many owners have had success jacking their cars by the body,
and I've seen it done to others' cars myself, but I plan to never do
so to my own.

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:36:59 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Fuel Pump Noise (Moving the Pump)

Tom, Volvo mounted the pump away from the tank on a plate against the frame
and had a primer pump in the tank. Now you got 2 problems instead of one.

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:04:21 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: A-Pillar replacement WITHOUT removing window??

> Is there any "TRICKS" to replacing the a-pillars WITHOUT removing the
> windshield?

Yeah!  Buy an early car.  We don't have that problem!  ;-)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 --> with *some* benefits to being so early in production

(Sorry, Joe.  I don't have any legitimate advice..)

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:43:18 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DCS Magazine

How do you subscribe?  I went to the website and clicked on
Magazines.  I don't see a link to subscribe, I only see individual
past issues for sale.  Or does buying a single magazine
constitute "subscribing"?

Thanks.

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:40:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL

Please, can anyone help with advice??!  I am trying to
replace a _at_dml_#%_at_dml_%#$ exhaust gasket on the right side of
our Delorean.  I have the nuts off on the manifold/
exhaust connectors but of course I can't move the
crossover exhaust pipe out far enough to slip the new
gasket over the stud (oh yes, took it to Midas before
and all they ended up doing was breaking off one of
the connector studs).

Then I tried "loosing" up the exhaust connections on
the left side of the engine and that is really where
the fun has begun?? #^%$%#%.  There's a sensor device
bolted to the crossover pipe just below the top nut
(of four) connecting the catalytic converter. Of
course the nut holding the sensor is stuck with 24
years of rust so heat would seem to be the answer!
But NO, HOW THE HELL CAN YOU HEAT THE NUT HOLDING THE
SENSOR WHEN TO GET THE NUT CHERRY RED HOT WOULD ONLY
MELT THE _at_dml_$#$%^$ SENSOR ITSELF.  How the _at_dml_&^$$# can
anyone possibly remove this exhaust system on this car
short of using a HACKSAW??!!!  THERE IS NO ^$#_at_dml__at_dml_#$
ROOM.  Then they say you have to remove the engine,
but don't you first have to remove the %$#_at_dml_# exhaust
system to do that.

Please, if anyone has removed the exhaust system
without removing the engine please tell me how, I know
with heat, but how???...WHAT !_at_dml_$_at_dml__at_dml_$ TOOLS DO YOU NEED
TO DO THIS MIRACULOUS FEAT????!!!   I've even
purchased a 150psi air tank and air impact wrench and
ratchet but you can't get the _at_dml_$#_at_dml_$#$# tools in there
to use them!!!  I bought a small needle nosed
vice-grips to latch a hold of the studs on the right
side where I am trying to replace a simple $1.50
gasket, I can latch on to the !_at_dml_#Q$#_at_dml_$_at_dml_ stud but no
room to turn the pliers at all!!!!!!!!

The only thing I have accomplished is buying more
tools, skinning my arms up, and securing my house from
 potential break-ins by the steady stream of
profanities
coming from underneath my car!!!!  HELP I DON'T WANT
TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE IN THIS VALLEY OF
HELL!!!!!

>From the Delorean Valley of Hell,
Mike
VIN#5781
Annapolis, Maryland

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:47:05 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

I've also burned out with my car on a painted garage floor about a
week after purchasing it.  I seem to remember not having any trouble
doing so, and I didn't notice any weird engine sounds afterwards.

My situation was a little different though, you see, I was just
learning to drive a manual transmission, and at the time that I
dropped the clutch while it was in gear - I was about 10 feet from the
wall.  Luckily I got on the brakes quickly enough :)

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:43:02 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Recovering seats

In a message dated 4/20/2005 1:48:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
s.ableman_at_dml_worldnet.att.net writes:
There is a 53KB write-up in the files dated 19 Jan, 2004 by waernstnj
that I have need to read, but, I am unable to open any file in WORD .
Could someone please email this to me?

Hi Steve-
Write me directly at waernst(at)aol.com and I'll send you a copy.  There's
also a great set in a recent Gullwing Magazine.  Contact
gullwing-magazine(at)sbcglobal.net. Worth getting that issue.. and subscribing.

Wayne

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:06:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Konrad Posch <icypalmtree_at_dml_yahoo.com>

According to the owners manual, you should use only 91 octane.   By the way, where do you live that you can buy 91 octane, all they sell here (texas) is 87,89, and 93?

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:30:01 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

If you have a stock Delorean and are running the stock 12-13 degrees
initial advance, 87 octane is what you should use.  If anything has been
done to increase the cylinder pressure, i.e., timing advance, more
freely flowing intake, higher compression, or supercharging, then higher
octane is called for to eliminate detonation.  There is no more energy,
(heat value), in higher octane gasoline.  It is just more resistant to
pre-ignition.

I have always put regular fuel in stock Ds that I drove.  It's cheaper
and works just as well as anything that costs more.  I put hi-test in
cars equipped with our Performance engine and any turbo equipped cars I
happen to be stuck in.

By the way, beware of fuel that has a high ethanol content-gasohol or
E85 or such.  Alcohol is extremely hard on rubber compounds in fuel
systems.  Long years ago, one customer used a gasahol blend sold at an
independent station near his home.  It was 90-something octane and cost
as much as regular.  He brought his car in with symptoms that led us to
the tank.  We found that his pump boot had swollen by 20%.  It looked
like an outsize display model of the stock one-printing and all.  We
replaced it, shook our finger at him, and sent him away.  The boot
shrank back a little, but never re-assumed its original size.  I've seen
pick-up hoses swollen into parodies of themselves.  So far as I know,
the ethonol-derived ether oxidizers used in modern US gasolines don't
have this effect.

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:43:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

[Mods:  this in not an attack.]

As a friend of you both I have to interject in this friendly banter.

-----------
>Subject:    [DML] The return of Gigawatt Fun reprisal to previous post.
>Date:   Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:51:04 EDT
>From:   kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
>
>I appreciate that you noticed Gigawatt in its staging area. It is a car  that
>is definitely a trailer queen but it has seen the roads of Tennesee, Ny,  NJ,
>PA, Chicago area, Cleveland and many others. You can't say that about  yours.

I remember Patrick being afraid to drive it because it was too pristine to drive.
Like he would even want to drive it with the original NCT tires. That's a death
trap waiting to happen!

>And wasn't it your car that came from Sandusky that was delivered in
>Concours condition to a young new owner who quickly turned his Concours car in
to a
>Frankenstein with lowered front end that hits the pot holes, Door launchers
>that I remember a wiring mess, and other modified items.  Glad you College
>students have the money for that. :-)

Did you have to sell him a concours car knowing that he was a newly licensed kid
wanting to drive?

>By the way cars being rebuilt for tearing off the bottom chasis due to
>lowering go outside in the bays for reconstruction LOL  Ah yes and that
familiar
>ring of KEN HELP Fix my Brakes or Water leak or whatever.  Music  to my ears :-)

I always hear you knocking lowered cars. Why then did you engineer the shocks
that Grady sells in his lowering kit? I am VERY happy with that setup on my car.
I haven't ruined my chasis and I drive like the Duke Boys compared to Patrick. If
I do scrape it's only the front sway bar mounts or the rear end of side skirts.
And again that's only when I drive like an aggressive Don Johnson going around
dip'n corners or curbs. Take it respectably and I have no problems. Are you just
upset Patrick got DMCH's Eibach set up and not yours? :-)

>Anytime you want to compete at a car show I'm ready and if you get over 100
>MPH maybe you will see some benefit over the lowering.

At the time my 74k mile car got 1st place at Pigeon Forge. Your car keeps getting
2nd & 3rd  in your class, right ;-) I don't need to go over 100 mph to notice the
superior ride in my lowered car. All though it was fun run' at 120mph with a
Corvette knowing I wasn't going to float off the road with a high snooty front
nose. You may note that your car came "raised" from the factory that actually
circumvented the engineers intended specs. :-)

>IN all fairness Patrick has come a long way and has kept this particular  car
>in excellent condition despite driving it. (Teenagers) I just like to tease him
a lot.

I'm not a teenager anymore but you still tease me too! Probably 'cause I often
act like an 8 year old.

>There is the difference between those that want to drive the cars and those
>that enjoy them as I do.

I drive, drive, drive & enjoy my car! There's just something missing if I sit
around all day cleaning my car & ironing the seat belt label :-P ... I have to
drive it to fully enjoy the vehicle & life that surrounds it.

>PS The radio broadcast went fine and I enjoyed doing it.  I will be glad  give
>you my autograph whenever you want it and you can sit and if you keep quiet  I
>will take you in the radio station and you can watch LOL

>PSS when you get home Friday how about helping me convert 16113 to a BTTF
>car for the McNicholds High School Afterprom.  There has been a lot of  interest

>in the car this year around the Cincinnati area.

So now YOUR "Frankensteining" cars?

>See you in Pheasant Run, Chicago 2006
>Ken

Yeah buddy, with my (maybe by then) over 100k mile Frankenstein gun'n for another
1st place.

Shannon Y