From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2590
Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 4:34 PM

1. possibility of North Carolina Service Center opening
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

2. Re: What gas octain to use
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. eBay DeLoreans
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Re: What gas octain to use
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Re: What gas octain to use
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

6. Re: What gas octain to use
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Interior clock
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

9. Re: What gas octain to use
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

10. Re: Door Opener Adapter
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

12. RE: What parts should I carry with me?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: What gas octain to use
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:21:35 -0400
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: possibility of North Carolina Service Center opening

Naturally, I'm all for another GOOD service center, just as DMCH
themselves  has been preaching for some time.
It seems we gots the parts, but few qualified service places that know
how to treat a DeLorean.
Although testing the waters and doing a DML discussion is nice, I would
be interested to know if Jeff has established some good lines of
communication with James, Rob, Don, Dave, etc.
I would think a healthy cooperative alliance with the long established
DeLorean service experts would be highly desirable, if not critical.

When the other garages are really backed up, or a helluva long distance
away, (particularly in the dead of Winter's snow storms), it sure would
be nice to have a Carolina 'tweener' to fill in the gap.

Oliver
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Vin#10694

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:53:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: What gas octain to use

The Delorean will run just fine on regular-87 octane. You can't hurt
it in any way by using higher octane. The one effect I can notice on
higher octane (on any car) is slightly better gas mileage. Not enough
to warrant the higher price, especially at today's prices. All brands
of gas are far superior to gas mixes of even just a few years ago.
They are ALL blended now for fuel injection. This is of course
assuming your engine is still set up stock with the factory recomended
settings for timing, spark gap, mixture, etc. Do not add any additives
like fuel stabilizer, octane booster, lead substitutes, etc. It is not
even a good idea to use gas line anti-freeze (aka dry gas) anymore.
Injector cleaner is probably the only thing you can use and then only
on a very infrequent basis. Techron is the cleaner of choice. It
should not be necessary to use it on a car that is used regularly.
Today's fuels include an injector cleaner already.

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:33:00 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: eBay DeLoreans

http://delorean.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

I had not seen this before. A listing if DeLoreans that have been for
sale on eBay (starting early March)  will be interesting to watch as
this grows, will have to look and see if there are certain cars that
are eBayed multiple times . .

Michael

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:49:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Chuck,

Mine does the same thing!  Never have figured out why.  The plugs, wires and cap are a few years old, but never seem bad to me.  I had my car at Grady's in March and Pat checked the fuel pressures, mixture, etc. and still I have have pinging on low octane gas.  It's not terrible, but noticable under load when the engine is warm.

It's strange, because except for mild pinging on cheap gas, this engine runs like a Swiss watch.  Anybody have any ideas how to get my car back to cheap gas?

Jake Kamphoefner
1063

beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

Unbelievable but true..My car will only run on 93 or 94- octane. If I put 91
in it's knocks like crazy. I've told this to a few of me fellow Delorean
owners and they think I'm crazy!

Chuck Vin 6125
DCO

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:11:28 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Good Advice.  Thanks for the feedback.  It makes sense to me.
Someone else also gave me similar feedback, with engine pinging
being the only reason why I may want to upgrade.  Thanks again!

Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_a... wrote:

> Go with 87.  It's cheaper, higher octanes don't offer any
performance
> boosts, and I'll even go one further and say that the owner's
manual clearly  states
> to use 87 (US method; Eurospec was 91 I think).  The DeLorean's
PRV  engines

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:25:10 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

How can they say you're crazy if that's what happens? ;)

Anyway, how many miles are on that car? Is it well maintained and running
well otherwise? Have the heads ever been off?

The reason I ask is if the car is old and perhaps not well maintained carbon
build up can increase compression and can also result in glowing carbon
deposits that will lead to detonation - unless the octane is high enough to
prevent it. You may have carbon build-up issues. Make sure your spark plugs
are the correct heat range for the car, too.

Its a remote possibility, but if the heads have ever been off, there is the
possibility that different gaskets, pistons, whatever else some PO may have
done may have raised the compresison ratio above what you think it is.

Also make sure your base timing is correct.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:26:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL

As a rust breaker nut loosener I can highly recommend a product called "Yield". Follow the directions on the can. It WILL work.

mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

Please, can anyone help with advice??!

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:28:58 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Interior clock

Anyone have a working clock for the console 101581? I have one but it
appears that-inside the clock where the glass is-the glass tube has
it's top broken off so i'm guessing whatever gas was filled into the
clock is now gone and it doesnt work. Is there any way to fix this?
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:17:46 -0700
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> Go with 87.  It's cheaper, higher octanes don't offer any performance
> boosts, and I'll even go one further and say that the owner's manual clearly  states
> to use 87 (US method; Eurospec was 91 I think).

Euro is spec'd at 91 only because their units are different.  Same engine, same fuel.  Use 87, and if it doesn't run well, something's seriously wrong with your engine.  Hope this helps.

-Owen

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:23:06 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Door Opener Adapter

Where were you able to purchase the Zilla product?  From what I  understand
noone has them right now as they are not being produced while the  manufacturer
is building a new facility.  Anyone know of anyone who has the  FanZilla or
the  Zilla keyless lock system.

Roy  Vin# 0893

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:51:41 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST

You only have to remove the muffler to pull the engine/trans. Leave
the Cat and crossover in place.

After doing all this exhaust-type work on an engine out of the car,
I'd never do it any other way. An engine pull in this car is about a
2-3 hour job. Once it's out and on a stand, all the exhaust stuff is
right out in the open where you can torch/saw/drill/heli-coil to your
heart's content. And now you can easily replace the other stuff thats
hard such as pan gaskets, main seals, etc. And do a lot of
housecleaning.

--Remove facia/hood/louvre
--Remove Muffler,
--Remove alternator (optional)
--Remove Axles and linkage
--Drain/unhook cooling lines
--Unplug all the electrical connections and a couple of vacuum and
fuel lines
--Disconnect throttle cable and the tiny hose to the heater valve
--If its an automatic disconnect the dipstick-to-head retainer or
you'll bend it all up.
--Loosen all 4 mount bolts and pull away.

You can heat the O2 sensor all you like - it's ceramic and won't melt
other than the wire cover which comes with the new one anyway. Ive
seen them so bad you have to drill it out and re-tap the hole.

Of course this probably isn't what you had in mind when you went to
replace that $4 gasket. Which was probably not the problem anyway,
I'll bet your manifold-to-head gaskets are the issue. They are even
worse to do "in the car".

Dave S

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:34:38 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: What parts should I carry with me?

Here's a few ideas:

The phone number of your local towing company.

The DeLorean parts cross reference.

Phone numbers of the vendors and/or other owners you know who are
knowledgeable about the car.

A small flashlight. Latex or nitrile gloves. A big sheet of plastic to lay
on or to put on the passenger seat to carry a flat tire on.

One thing for sure: some copper washers for the fuel system! John Hervey has
a nice set. If you ever have to crack open the fuel system on the road you
risk dropping one of those suckers down into the valley of death. Then
you're stuck. Since they are copper you couldn't even retrieve them with a
magnet.

Another thing you want is a jumper for your rpm relay.

A set of metric combination wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc.

A DECENT jack that will actuall lift the car, not the toy that comes with it
and the very short handle that does not give you any leverage.

A cheapy volt/ohmmeter.

A wiring diagram, and a diagram of the fuel system and other major systems.

Pictures you've taken of the car any time you've had it apart so that you
can see how it goes back together aagin.

Some cable ties.

A tube of waterless hand cleaner and some shop towels.

There's probably a bunch of other stuff too, but there will be a lot of
people chiming in on this one I'm sure and you'll soon have a very complete
list.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:56:15 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Reread your manual - the 91 octane rating is for European formulations.
The US calculates octane differently.  87 is what should be used.

-------------- Original message from Konrad Posch <icypalmtree_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------