From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2593
Date: Thursday, April 28, 2005 11:03 PM

1. Re: What parts should I carry with me?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

2. Re: What parts should I carry with me?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: What parts should I carry with me?
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

4. Re: Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL(7mm studs)
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

5. Re: What parts should I carry with me?
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

6. Re: What parts should I carry with me?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

7. Re: North Carolina Service Center
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

8. RE: What parts should I carry with me? (3 steps to being FULLY prepared)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OFHELL(7mm studs)
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

10. Re: Trans noise (throw out bearing)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL(7mm studs)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: Door Opener Adapter
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

13. Fan Module Alternative (was Re: Door Opener Adapter)
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: What springs and shocks should I use?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: What gas octain to use (Improved Formulations)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Frustrated beyond belief
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

17. Idle problem
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>

18. Re: How do I replace a power antenna?
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>

19. Re: The return of Gigawatt and Raffle car Debut
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL(7mm studs)
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

21. RE: Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL(7mm studs)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. RE: Door Opener Adapter
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. KEEP THE LEAD OUT- Re: So let's quiet this baby down...
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

24. Engine Options
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

25. Re: What parts (you got it all wrong)
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

26. Re: Trans noise
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:14:14 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: What parts should I carry with me?

Geeze - I just carry a cell phone.

-------------- Original message from Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:29:44 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Where do you put the people ;-) ? All this weight is probably not
doing your handling and gas mileage any good either.

I generally carry a cellphone and a credit card. And maybe a few
extra fuses. On longer trips I'll bring some basic tools and maybe
some relays and jumpers, but in all the time I've had the car, I've
only used anything I was carrying to fix **someone else's** car. I
know many folks who no longer even carry the spare tire - half the
time it won't hold air anyway, and flats are honestly no more common
than any other mechanical failure. Leaving the spare out is a huge
bump in luggage space too.

A key is to maintain the car at a level that stuff doesn't break
every time its driven. I don't carry tools in my other cars either.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Enid/Jeremiah
<hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> [A Huge List]

 so I still have 1/4 of my trunk and all of

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

I have a trailer hitch installed and I just tow a complete second DeLorean behind me at all times.  You never know when you may need a part!  :-)   Sure, I pay double in gas costs because of the milage loss, but you'll never see me broken down!

But seriously folks....

I agree with Steve.  I usually only have a jumper wire, a bottle of Windex, and cell phone.  You can get home most times with just that and the memory of your DeLorean shop manual.  Now on longer trips (say more than 1000 miles total), I take some more stuff, but really all you need is a cell phone.

I guess what I'm saying is that preventive maintenance is the best.  I don't carry tools in my normal car, so why in the DeLorean?  I trust the DeLo more anyway.  (Then again, it's my baby...)

Jake
1063

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:04:54 -0500
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: HELP! - STUCK IN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM VALLEY OF HELL(7mm studs)

Be careful where you use stainless bolts. I think Toby would have a more
detailed explanation but in a nutshell stainless bolts just aren't strong
enough for most suspension components.

Bruce Benson

> Bill,
>
> When did you last hear that Rob Grady had the stainless 7mm studs?  I had
asked him
> about these the first time I heard you mention it (several months hago)
and he said he

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:22:29 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

I haven't seen anyone mention this in the thread so far, but I always
carry a long 1/4" ID hose with me, which serves as a great bleeder hose
for the cooling system (and hydraulic systems too) if you get into
trouble.  You'll need a 10mm wrench too, as already suggested.

Also, this might seem excessive, but if you're going so far as to carry
fuel system crush washers, perhaps you should get an extra hollow bolt
used for the banjo fittings.  They're brass and quite brittle and could
easily snap in two during field repair.

Best,
Travis Graham
#06344

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:25:20 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Your missing screwdrivers.

Mark V

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:04:06 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: North Carolina Service Center

I agree with you wholeheartedly Oliver on the need for more regional
service providers. Jeff is good friends with John Hervey and speaks
with him pretty often, but I don't think he's in close contact with
any of the other big names in the community. Jeff hopes to make John
Hervey his main supplier if his shop comes into fruition, and
naturally anything John doesn't carry Jeff will outsource from the
larger vendors.

Jeff will also likely come up with many solutions on his own. For
instance, he's having a batch of headers fabricated for the DeLorean
as we speak. Jeff lives in Concord, NC... where many NASCAR and
various other racing teams are headquartered. There are countless
fabricators and race suppliers in Concord who between all of them
can make about anything for the DeLorean (Jeff has been in contact
with many of these shops with his ideas).

In fact Jeff is working on a very big performance project which he
hopes to be able to unveil in Pheasant Run. He has shops that are
willing to get into turbo charging and fabricate components for
engine swapping as well. Again, Jeff's intention is to provide a
small, regional service center for our cars that offers services
currently unavailable to our community. He strongly feels he will
not draw business from the larger vendors, but will instead bring
them more money by ordering parts from them. I know for many owners
in this area that the $1k+ roundtrip shipping to get our cars to one
of the major service providers is a big factor in not sending our
cars to them. I could use that $1k on more parts from the vendors if
I could get my car serviced here... so in the end everyone would
win. I'll keep the list posted on any new progress with this venture.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_a...> wrote:

Naturally, I'm all for another GOOD service center, just as DMCH
themselves  has been preaching for some time. It seems we gots the
parts, but few qualified service places that know how to treat a
DeLorean. Although testing the waters and doing a DML discussion is
nice, I would be interested to know if Jeff has established some
good lines of communication with James, Rob, Don, Dave, etc. I would
think a healthy cooperative alliance with the long established
DeLorean service experts would be highly desirable, if not critical.

When the other garages are really backed up, or a helluva long
distance away, (particularly in the dead of Winter's snow storms),
it sure would be nice to have a Carolina 'tweener' to fill in the
gap.

Oliver
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Vin#10694

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:14:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: What parts should I carry with me? (3 steps to being FULLY prepared)

Project DeLorean Steve is on the right track.

Every year since 1991 I have taken a minimum of 3 and
a maximum of 6 long distance trips in my DeLorean.  By
long distance I mean in excess of 2000 miles round
trip. My emergency kit consists of a small set of
metric tools, two belts and my AAA card. In those 14
years I have used the belts twice and the AAA card
once.  Miles traveled in those 14 years exceeds
100,000.

The DeLorean is an extremely reliable car if
maintained.  Yes, I know that finding an appropriate
part on the road might be a bit difficult, but trying
to figure out in advacne which one is going to fail is
even more difficult.  Early on, I met an "expert" from
the DOA who shared his kit with us as we attended a
DOA event.  By the time you have the kit completed,
there isn't room for luggage!

I do always carry the DeLorean Owners Directory, the
Workshop Manual and the Parts Manual.  In those I have
recorded the numbers of all of the major DeLorean
Vendors.

Guys, I think many of you worry way to much.

It isn't a dream if you are afraid to drive it.

Dick Ryan

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:35:12 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Hi

I can help. I can have many bolts, screws, nuts, washers or studs made out
of stainless steel. I need the exact dimensions of those studs and I will
let you know if they are available and how much they will cost.

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:18:12 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Trans noise (throw out bearing)

Actually it doesn't "click" like a traditional bearing, but rather has
a pocket on one side only that the fork slips into, and a stop tab on
the other side that prevents it from spinning out of that pocket. If
the fork is moved in its release direction before the bearing has
contacted the pressure plate, it will slip out of that pocket.
Fortunately there are access holes on either side of the bell housing
(for side forks I guess) that you can look through to ensure that the
fork is indeed still in the pocket.

Another thing to watch out for: there's a spring steel clip that holds
the clutch fork to the pivot ball (slips behind it). If the fork is
wiggled too much while the transmission is out, this clip will slip
off the ball. Then, when you remate the transmission, the clip will be
sandwiched BETWEEN the fork and the ball. This happened to me,
ultimately fatigue breaking one side of the clip (which cocks the
fork). I was able to rotate the clip and cut a mirror image in the
other end. Pic is uploaded to #5939's photo album.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:51:11 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

He had them a little more than a year ago (see Message #38853). Guess
he sold out. Stainless nuts on carbon studs will still be easily
removed (but don't tarry too long or Fastenal may sell out of them!)

Fortunately the remainder of the exhaust system is common as dirt
10x1.5mm.

Congratulations on the degree.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:35:47 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Door Opener Adapter

Roy - I have sent you an off-List reply so that we can discuss what
you would like for your car without consuming bandwidth on the DML.
There are many products available within the Wings-A-Loft line, so
some level of confusion is understandable.  As I indicated, we are in
the process of improving the documentation on the web site to reduce
confusion from too many choices.  We also have several other projects
that are ongoing and will bear fruit soon.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, lordshill_at_dml_a... wrote:

> Toby to the rescue.  Toby..  two upgrades I knew I  wanted to do:
A remote lock and alarm for the doors and the Fanzilla,  which
enables the various fans and units to come on in stages so there is
no big  pull on the system.  I looked on your web site and am a
little confused  regarding the lock system and I did not see anything
like a fanzilla.   Help.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:43:37 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Fan Module Alternative (was Re: Door Opener Adapter)

I don't think DPNW has such an item (yet).  SpecialTAuto does,
however.  Theirs is called the "Fan Fix Dual 2x2" and operates a bit
differently from the Fanzilla, but it gets the job done:
http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/modifications.html

I purchased this unit about a year ago.  The only problem I had with
it was the fans staying on after turning off the car sometimes; this
was traced to a voltage leak in my car, and it's been mostly cured
since I updated my door lock module with sealed relays from DPNW.

It's wired somewhat differently and sequences differently from
Fanzilla, as described on their respective websites.  The main
difference it makes to the driver is the use of the "Cooling Fan Fail"
light in the center console: it activates to show you when the fans
are running with the Dual Fan Fix 2x2.

--Greg

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:12:00 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: What springs and shocks should I use?

If you have vibration it has nothing to do with alignment. You either
have a a bad tire or it is out-of-balance or a bent rim. You could
also have things loose in the front suspension. I would also check the
tire pressures. Too much air in the rear tires would give you a hard
ride and a low pressure in the front can cause vibration. I would fix
the vibration problem before installing the lowering kit, or shocks.
If you do lower the car you should get the car realigned afterwards.
If the roads in your area are anything like the the roads in the New
York-New Jersey area you may want to think twice about lowering the car.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:15:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: What gas octain to use (Improved Formulations)

Actually batteries have improved somewhat. The Optima battery is a
completely sealed battery and has a very high power to weight ratio.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:26:37 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Frustrated beyond belief

Been trying to get this #$*%_at_dml_! car drivable for  months now. If it's
not been one thing it's been another.  Had the heads fixed after
coolant had eaten through them. It ran well afterwards but had an
engine miss.

The rpm relay went out, replaced that. The frequency valve stopped
working, put a new one in. Put in a new Lambda probe. Cleaned and
gapped the plugs. Put a new set of plug wires and  cap in. cleaned the
contacts and grounds for everything. Car also has a new CPR, fuel pump,
fuel accumulator, idle speed motor, idle speed micro switch, new vacuum
hoses, thermal lambda probe, thermal vacuum switch, compression is good
and matched on all cylinders. AND IT STILL RUNS LIKE $^%#!

The exhaust reeks like raw fuel, won't accelrate, has a weird exhaust
note, backfires and blows rich black smoke out the pipes. I know that
the lamba system is working and with the new FV i am at least getting a
response when i try to adjust the air fuel mixture but the thing still
swings wildly and is rich. If it were vacuum leaks it would be running
lean rather than rich.

I am getting real frustrated with having this monster that keeps eating
up my money but yet I never get to drive it. It ran reasonably well
before I fixed all the stuff that wasn't working.

Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:07:39 -0000
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>
Subject: Idle problem

Hi,
I just want to check if there's anyone out there who has encountered this and knows how
to fix it.

When I crank my car, the engine goes up to 2500 - 3000 revs for 15 seconds and then
settles at 800 revs and runs fine. It does this every time I start it and it makes no
difference if the engine is cold or hot.

Anders #10238

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:26:13 -0000
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>
Subject: Re: How do I replace a power antenna?

Hi Aaron,

I have replaced my antenna and it's really no big deal to do. I didn't have an original
antenna as a replacement. I bought a new antenna directly from Bosch and the tricky bit
was to get a black one. But this new antenna had its relays built in so I had to figure out
how everything was wired, cause the relay in my car was located in the compartment.

But I understand your antenna is original, so you probably just have to cut the three cables
and solder on the cables from the new one.

To reach the antenna, locate the hatch one the left pontoon and get the air purifier out.
Now you can reach the antenna and see it with some difficulty. It's mounted on a bracket
so changing is quite easy. But the aligment is importand when you have to new one in
place. I found out that a power antenna is actually quite strong, cause I didn't get it right
the first time and almost destroyed the new antenna. So aim the best that you can and
everything will be fine.

Hope this gives you some help, feel free to mail me if you want me to explain more.

Anders #10238

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:38:49 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: The return of Gigawatt and Raffle car Debut

Yea Eric
You never let me buy when you are there LOL

So anyone wanting to come to the warehouse on Friday Pizza is on me
Patrick will be picking it up although he doesn't know that yet.

e-mail me if you are coming (no  joke)
we are assembling the BTTF stuff.

The car (possible future RAFFLE car) is back together and ready for its debut
Cleaning it up tonight and then will add the BTTF stuff to it and light it up tomorrow
and off to the afterprom from there.

It will get plates Saturday and should start to be driven to the events from this point forward.
We will work on the car for the raffle at the tech sessions and we will watch its progress, Much is still needed like repaint the fascias, new seals, and whatever else it needs.

Unlike the last Raffle car this one has been a constant runner over the years and just needs a bit of  help to get it in like new cond.  I think this has 41 or 42K on it.
Also unlike the other car I have done most of the work or paid for the repair at Dave's
Hopefully others will get involved later with more tweeking rather than reconstruction as was on the last car but that car has been a great runner.  This one should be also.

We added new Seats, new dash (original) its gonna get a new stereo since the Craig is out  and the sony in it sucks.(sorry but it does)
Refurbished Binical (leather) since no new ones exist.
New speakers, Cleaned and refurbished carpets look almost brand new.
New glove box( fresh from Houstons NOS nice part thanks Warren)
New Powder coated wheels
New Tires (0 Miles as of today)
Undercarriage is cleaned and por 15 coated. (sand blasted)
Brakes flushed
New windshield (thanks Dave Bauerle)
The engine had the heads removed and new head gaskets put in again thanks Dave Bauerle.
Trunk refurbished
and tons more stuff.
I have two possible cars for the raffle
most of the items listed above are also done on the other car but this one is done first and I will list the vin number of the car for Chicago in Sept.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:44:26 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

As almost all the M7 stuff is on the engine, which is ally, the jury is
still out on whether it's a good idea or not to mix them. I'm still on
the "not" side of the fence personally.

Martin

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:47:05 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I can have SS 7mm studs made if there is enough people that want to by them.
But for exhaust, I use like others heat treated steel.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:53:14 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Roy, I have The Fan Fix that will offer a different approach from the Fan
Zill in current draw and save on the pocket book. Take a look.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/modifications.html

Toby to the rescue.  Toby.. I have purchased a Delorean from an  original
owner, who took incredible care of it.  I'm driving it home from  Florida
next
month.  When discussing upgrades with him and Don of the  Delorean place in
Calif, who knew of the total history of the car and has  serviced it from
when it

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:45:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: KEEP THE LEAD OUT- Re: So let's quiet this baby down...

Speaking as an environmental engineer with 30+ years of experience,
PLEASE, PLEASE, do not use lead for sound control if you value your
health.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:18:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine Options

One of my favorite engines is the very small 215 c.i Olds/Buick V-8
that was installed in 61-63 Cutlass and the Buick equivalent.  Standard
hp was 185 and there was also a turbo (?) option at about 212 hp.

Has anyone tried a fit with of one of these in a D?

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:12:21 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: What parts (you got it all wrong)

WE are DeLorean Owners
Our cars don't break down
that is negative thinking

All you need is a AAA card and you are good
LOL

Now my Jag
that is a different story

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:28:27 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Trans noise

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_u...> wrote:

Hey Warren and others I took the trans back out this evening.. only took a half
hour this time... I turned the flywheel and it made a rubbing noise for a few
turns and then stopped.. whats up with that?? im gonna take it back off
tomorrow and see what the hell is going on.. is it on wrong?? i marked it when
I took it off and put it back on the same way so I dont know.. Thanks for
help..Dave...vin..15275