From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2598
Date: Sunday, May 01, 2005 3:35 PM

1. Unladen Axle weights ?
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

2. "How-to" when removing/installing front fascia?
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

3. Re: DCS Magazine
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. RE: What parts should I carry with me?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. RE: Headlamps
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Leaking Antifreeze
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. RE: Leaking Antifreeze
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

8. Re: Leaking Antifreeze
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Re: Frustrated beyond belief (Lean Mixture / Rich Metering)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: THREE Bricklins on ebay! thought the group would want to know about them
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. PRV6 performance problem
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

12. Re: Re: Leaking Antifreeze:CAUTION
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

13. door roof seal question
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Cruise Control
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Yahoo Group Sorting
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

16. Re: door roof seal question
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

17. Mystery capacitor in engine bay
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social - Web Site Recap
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

19. CCS100 Cruise Control
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

20. Time Traveler Convention at MIT
From: "rickh5371" <rickh5371_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Unladen Axle weights ?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:17:14 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: Unladen Axle weights ?

Does anyone now the official/published UNLADEN AXLE WEIGHTS of the car
(front and rear)?

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:21:50 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: "How-to" when removing/installing front fascia?

Does anyone have a "how-to" when removing/installing the front fascia?

There are a lot of fasteners behind the grille and headlights, and I
don't want to do anything wrong while I'm in there.

The how-to I'm looking for would be one with pictures, not just plain
text. I do have the Workshop Manual, but it's not quite clear to me how
I approach this one...

The reason I'm doing this is to ensure a snug fit and proper alignment
of the fascia and fenders.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:32:18 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: DCS Magazine

> Some of you may notice that there is a signature request on the  magazine,
> We did this to try to convince the post office that they are anything but
> efficient and to trace the actual time it takes to deliver a magazine.

They say that cost of postage, per letter stamp, is about 7 cents for
delivery and the rest is for storage.
;-)
No offense to any postal workers.
-Kevin
(and Ken, my car is lowered AND it not only handles better it looks better)

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:54:01 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: What parts should I carry with me?

No it was 5 years old. Don't know why it blew, it just did.

From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com Dave Swingle
Subject: Re: [DML] What parts should I carry with me?

Was the one that failed the original 20-year-old hose?

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:00:21 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Headlamps

Thanks Martin, I stand corrected: The box say's the ( The look of HID ) But
Sylvania calls it the ( Silverstar ). It's a high performance halogen.
Silverstar draws 12 volt 40 to 55 watt and the Cool Blue draws 50 watts.

From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com Martin Gutkowski
Subject: Re: [DML] Headlamps

I can't see HID lamps, John, only a Halogen set (which might say they
are HID's but aren't)...

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:30:28 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Leaking Antifreeze

I'd bet on the hoses that come out of the back of the water pump, the
coolant runs out from under the pump just like you are seeing. (Could
be the back of the pump like John said too, but I'd bet money on the
hoses.) A great time to change the pump, replace the hoses, and clean
up and paint the "valley of death". Also a good opportunity for a tune-
up and a set of silicon vacuum hoses "while you are in there".

Dave S [an expert at taking a $30 job and turning it into $500 worth
of "while I'm in here"]

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:02:02 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

Before you do anything major, check to see that the thermostat is "IN" the
gasket.  Not on top or below the gasket.

Nick

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:08:51 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

The weep hole on the water pump is readily visible -- if it's coming
out there, should be easy to see just by running the engine.

If the leak is under the intake manifold (Valley of Death), the entire
top surface of the engine is probably full of coolant. The bell
housing acts like a dam in the back, but in the front it will run down
the timing chain cover and drip off the oil pan *AFTER* those casting
recesses are full.

Are several possibilities under the intake manifold:
- Back of the pump
- Any of 6 hoses (not the big radiator lines)
- Heater core return tube
- Distribution pipe O rings
- Distribution pipe sensors
The heater core shutoff valve is located over the transmission, so I
doubt if it's coming out there. Takeoff barb is under the intake however.

I fully concur with a *COMPLETE* cooling system overhaul. When I
bought my car, everything under the intake manifold was factory
original. Routine maintenance had been performed on the visible parts
only. I think this may be endemic to too many DeLoreans currently on
the street.

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:22:03 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Frustrated beyond belief (Lean Mixture / Rich Metering)

Welcome to the wonderful world of vacuum leaks. Because fuel/air
mixture is set while your engine is idling in the driveway (maximum
vacuum), leaks can lead to a false setting -- appears OK only because
of unmetered air. In fact it's too rich, which will show up at
throttle as manifold vacuum drops. That's why vacuum leaks are MPG
killers.

But I don't think this is Phil's problem. I'm leaning towards either
SEVERAL non-firing cylinders (I recently lost just one to a dead plug
wire, and performance was only minimally affected), or overall
retarded ignition due to either an improperly indexed timing scale or
failed advance inside the distributor.

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:29:26 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: THREE Bricklins on ebay! thought the group would want to know about them

does anyone want to go in with me??? Id be interested in the green one?
Harry vin #2696

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:38:27 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: PRV6 performance problem

i just noticed how the performance is bad in my delorean when the
engine is hot, because when cold it accelerate perfectly (atleast for a
136hp engine) but when it warms up (about 2-3mins on the road) it
suddenly becomes lazy as hell, hardly accelerate ...anyone already had
this problem?

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Leaking Antifreeze:CAUTION

To Dave T's suggestions for pressurizing the cooling system to find the
leak, I would add the following caution:

Be careful not to overpressurize the system >15 psi.

Beyond blowing hoses I've heard that the paper shims under the cylinder
sleeves can be blow out of position causing coolant to leak into the
oil pan.  Though it may take much higher pressure for the latter to
occur, why risk it?

Woody

p.s.  Thanks to all of you for your recent replys to my help posts.

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 00:47:17 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: door roof seal question

Hi all,

Quick question.  I recently replaced the door roof seals on my car
very carefully and was extremely happy when I did it correctly,
without punching through the thin stainless steel door.

What is the purpose of this seal, anyway?  It would seem to me that if
it weren't there, water would do what it's supposed to do anyway and
travel along the canal to the street.  So why do we have them?

thanks,
Toby

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 00:51:27 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Cruise Control

I just found the Audiovox CCS100 cruise control on Amazon.com for 89.99
with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00029WQTW/pricegrabbercom/102-
3378558-9201769

Sounds like a good buy.  Maybe now is the time to put cruise control in
to the DMC-12?  Has anyone seen it for less?

Dē & 6530

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 00:53:23 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Yahoo Group Sorting

Is there a way to sort the FILES or PHOTOS by date so as to make it
easier to find newly listed items?

Dē & 6530

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:46:01 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: door roof seal question

Appearance and wind noise. You are right, they don't really serve a complete
waterproofing function, althouth they do reduce the water that's trying to
get around the other seals.

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 00:58:24 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Mystery capacitor in engine bay

On my car there is a 1uF capacitor on the firewall that connects to red
and black wires and to a two connector plug.  This plug is not
connected to anything and there does not seem to be any other loose
connectors back there other than one with the green wires that is for
the manual transmission reverse light switch.

Any ideas on what this capacitor is for, where it got connected and why
there seems to be no place for it to go?

Thanks,
Dē & 6530

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:49:54 -0400
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social - Web Site Recap

Sorry to keep everyone waiting so long, but the DMA Club website is now
updated with a recap of the 2005 Spring Social!
You can see details of the event here:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

Enjoy!

Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 14:21:03 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: CCS100 Cruise Control

Well I just bought the Audiovox CCS100 cruise control kit from Pep Boys
for $57.00 if anyone is interested, check it out.

Dē & 6530

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 15:18:27 -0000
From: "rickh5371" <rickh5371_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Time Traveler Convention at MIT

Hi,

We are having the Time Traveler Convention at MIT on May 7th, 2005 at
MIT in Cambridge, MA. We are wondering if anyone would like to bring
their DeLorean to the Convention, it would be really fun to have one
given its permanent association with time travel.

The Convention web page is here:

http://web.mit.edu/adorai/timetraveler/

is anyone interested? Please email me at
timetravelerconvention_at_dml_gmail.com .

thanks,
TimeTraveler

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 15:42:48 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Unladen Axle weights ?

You can calculate it easily.  Take the unladen weight and apply the front/rear
weight distribution.

-------------- Original message from "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>: --------------