From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2600
Date: Monday, May 02, 2005 11:48 AM

From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "emooman1" <emooman_at_dml_msn.com>

From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. RE: New DML member and questions
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. Re: DMC owners list
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 09:27:15 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: PRV6 performance problem

the timing is at 13 degree, and the frequency valve is buzzing,and is
there a quick way to verify the CPR im not too well equipped to check
fuel injection but the CPR is new (was changed by the PO 2-3 years ago

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 05:36:47 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Idle problem (Continued Reply)

Forgot to ask: did you remove and cap the connection between the idle
speed motor and the cold start tube? If not, unless your idle speed
motor is stuck closed, your manual idle setting is incorporating air
sensor plate activation via that route as well. If enough air passes
through the inactive idle speed motor, you will never get idle speed down.

Simply remove that short length of hose and cap the barbs with 3/4"
vacuum caps for a 100% manual idle.

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 09:42:49 -0000
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: New DML member and questions

Hi all,

I'm a new member to the DML and would like to introduce myself.  My
name is Jack Plumley, I've been a Delorean owner since November 2001.
I have a 1981 grey automatic Delorean, VIN 02728.  I'm going to the
Delorean meet in Pittsburgh in about two weeks and I'll be bringing my
car so feel free to say hi and check out the car if you're there.  I
have two questions for anybody out there who can answer them...first,
has anybody done the cluster LED conversion (binnacle area)?  I'm
thinking about doing it, but want to know if it looks good (ie are the
leds bright enough, does it keep the original look enough or is it
dramatically different, etc)...and also, has anybody switched their
fans to the new version from Special T's site?  Is it an easy switch?
How do the new fans feel?  Notice any differences?

Thanks.

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 11:45:51 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Replacing speakers

I removed the rotted front and rear speakers from the car and in the
process of replacing.  I had a questions about the polarity of the
speaker wires, and not sure which is positive (+) and negative (-).
Each speaker has a black wire and a colored wire (Passenger rear is
Brown/Black, Passenger front is Red/Black, Driver rear is Green/Black
and Driver front is Orange/Black.  Do I assume that the black on each
is the negative?  Also, I am heading to Best Buy this afternoon for
the rear speakers.  Looks like they may have the 4"x10" to fit.  I
thought 6"x9"'s would fit, but too big.  What is the experience about
replacement speakers.  I bought cheap 3.5"'s for the front from
Walmart, with 25 watt handling.  Should I consider nicer for the front
as well?  I don't need "blasting sound", just something that sounds
decent. - Thanks, Paul

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:46:04 GMT
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: Re: Who has the best door struts?

Though I personnally have not had to use it, I've heard Grady has a really good set.  And depending on your climate, you may want North Wests since they are temperature compensated.

Luis & 3723

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 05:22:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: starter question

Yep. Bendix wasn't anywhere near the flywheel when you popped it
before. You could pop the clutch without an alternator too (or an A/C
compressor).

BTW: Pop it in 2nd gear. Is much smoother than 1st.

You only need the starter motor to slam shift it (if you plan to start
from a dead stop, without popping the clutch -- not really practical
in ordinary driving).

You can pop a clutch in reverse too if you ever find yourself pointed
the wrong direction. Gives you a pretty good jolt, however.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_d...>
wrote:
> My starter solenoid is shot, and the car naturally doesn't crank at
all.  If I were to push it out of its parking space and role it down
the hill am I likely able to get it going so I can drive it to the
shop to change the starter on a lift?  I have been able to "pop start
it" before when the starter still worked but the battery was just too
low, and I couldn't get jumper cables, but never without a starter at
all.  I have about a 40 ft hill that could probably have me going
about 25 mph if I just let it role to the bottom, but I am not sure
that it works like this.  If I try to "pop start" it with a completely
nonfunctioning starter, am I likely to get it started?

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 12:22:30 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

Adrian Roth from the Delorean Club Germany sells the best
ones because they can be recharged and set to fit your
car perfectly without messing around with the torsion bar.

As each car is a bit different and the torsion bars can`t be
set 100% identically, it is impossible to produce struts that
are set correctly for each car. At least I like a smooth and
easy closing door.

Elvis & 6548

> This will be my third replacement set in five years. The first
> replacements were from DMCH but they cracked my mounts because they were a
bit too
> long. After it was repaired (and well reinforced) I purchased a new
> after-market set on ebay of unknown origin (no markings). They worked O.K.
for a
> season but now they are getting pretty weak. Now the question...Of the
vendors,
> which one offers the best set and why?
> Rustproof

+++ Lassen Sie Ihren Gedanken freien Lauf... z.B. per FreeSMS +++
GMX bietet bis zu 100 FreeSMS/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:33:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Make sure your mechanical AND vacuum advance are operating. You should
see them both give you around 40 degrees. With the 13 base that will
be a total of (you guessed it) 53. Make sure the CPR aka warm-up
regulator is hooked up correctly with it's vacuum hoses. On the car I
am currently doing the Twin Turbo conversion I had a lot of trouble
with cold start and warm-up. It turned out to be the thermal valve
deep in the "valley of death" and an out-of-calibration CPR. It
worked, it just did not act fast enough. Thr thermal valve also
screwed up my vacuum advance. It is running much better now but I am
still not happy with the advance (which is set up a little differently
than stock for the turbo install). Again, vacuum leaks will affect the
motor a lot, especially at idle and even more so when cold. Push the
WOT switch while the motor is idling, you should hear the sound of the
frequency valve change. It is subtle so listen carefully. Pulling the
plug off the valve while the motor is idling should cause the motor to
stall.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean6584"

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:55:43 -0000
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: For Sale: 1983 DMC12

I have decided to part ways with my car. It is a 1983 grey 5-speed
with 36,xxx miles. The car has been almost completely restored.
Below is a partial list of upgrades.

New seat covers.
New carpeting.
New shift boot.
New radiator with hoses.
New steering rack "PJ Grady"
New tires.
New fuel distributor.
New head gaskets with all o-rings.
New SS coolant tank.
New fan fix from John Hervey.
New Optima battery.
New clutch.
New clutch cylinders.
New alternator.
New air bleeder from John Hervey.
Spare windshield.
New fuel injectors.
New fuel pump
Fuel tank cleaned.
New belts.
New otterstat.
New 02 sensor.
New vacum hoses.
New starter.
$15,000

I could go on forever on this. If anyone is interested please
contact me OFF-LIST. _at_dml_ austinbrumley(AT)delorean.com

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:37:21 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Calendar

Hello all,
Is there any reason why the calendar is not in use?
I was looking for the date when the spring Stragand/Plakosh Tech
Session was being held and could not for the life of me
remember "Stragand/Plakosh" to search on.

John
vin #7009

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 07:03:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay

So.. He just did exactly what you did.

Making copies of material you don't own, and selling
it... What makes him a "jerk off", and you not?

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 14:30:12 -0000
From: "emooman1" <emooman_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Setting Digital Clock in Radio

Hi, I just recently joined DMCNEWS and this is my first posting.  I
purchased an 83 DeLorean a couple of weeks ago and have been
struggling with what seguence of buttons to push to set the digital
clock?  I have the owners manual but it doesn't
mention it and the previous owner did not know how either?

Appreciate any insight to this.

Thanks

Jim Rowlette

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 14:09:51 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: dmc parts database

Thanks for reminding me about this old utility.

The version posted on the web site is grossly outdated, and it looks
like the InstallShield installer used for the utility is too old
work correctly with the latest operating environments.

I'll assemble an updated package to replace the obsolete stuff and
post a note in a couple days when it's posted. To make things really
simple, I'll probably just create a ZIP archive for you to use and
do away with the installer entirely since the utility doesn't muck
with registry settings and such anyway.

     Knut

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:53:29 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

If you need a quick replacement, I purchased a complete set for the car;
doors, boot and bonnet from Pep Boys. They are made by Saches Germany (sp) and
were listed in the PepBoys catalogue. The set was $60.00

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 15:24:52 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Idle problem

The discussion is about how high the engine revs when you FIRST turn
it over-I never said it idles high. When I first start the engine, it
revs to 1400 and settles down to 800 in a few seconds, and hunts for a
short period before it goes smooth. I am using the 3 brass screws,
with the plate adj screw juust touching the stop-it isn't cracking the
plates though. I have the idle motor removed and the inlets capped
off. New o-rings on the screws. My question is: Since I'm running on
manual idle, and it still revs to 1400 before when it first turns
over-what other components should I look at so when I start the engine
it doesn't rev at all, just goes straight to idle. Thanks for the help
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:02:28 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: DMC owners list

Where do I get a copy of the most up to date DeLorean owners list? There are several separate state groups, etc., but I'd like the most complete listing in North America, for a potential long road trip. Would it include the many suppliers we have and their contact numbers?

If that is not available, would one of the publishers be interested in a comercial venture - sell some ads.

Marv.
#17707
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com
  ----------

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 15:32:48 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: Hoses

Dave,
     I agree with your assessment.  Coming from NJ I don't think I
ever replaced a coolant hose in any of my cars.  However, out here
in Arizona they recommend replacing belts and hoses every two
years.  Due to the extreme dryness, cracking and failures are
common, particulary on 115+ degree summer days.  I replaced all the
hoses in my cars when I moved out here from NJ in late 2001.  The
two that are parked in my climate controlled garage are still doing
well with only one hose failure in 4 years.  However, my SUV parked
outside every day did not fair as well.  So far I've lost a belt and
hose this year and found what appeared to be in imminent failure on
another.  4 years is about right if you're dealing with extreme heat
and lack of humidity.  I wish Rob made a silicone hose kit for my
other cars....:)

Matthew

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:56:05 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

The seller from the UK claims that the DVD is from the early 1980s and was
produced from Ulster TV. Robert Lamrock, a DeLorean owner, and senior producer
at Ulster TV can you comment please?

As far as the stuff that is offered on ebay now:

I think the DeLorean videos came from the original owners like Peter
DeForest, Ed Berstein, John Truscott and since late 1980s, me.

 In addition, when owners participated at the Bowie Maryland British Car day
that I helped organize, I gave NEW DeLorean owners a large grab bag of
DeLorean literature and videotape(s) as there is hours and hours of rare stuff that I
have.

Additionally, if I remembered to bring it with me to the shows, I gave away
huge pieces of rare 1948 Tucker, and Bricklin dealership memorabilia &
literature that I was given.

So, if you want to share your video talents Bob for the benefit of the
DeLorean community, why don't you offer to give the DVD's to a deserving young
DeLorean wannabe or new owner?

Mike

In a message dated 05/02/2005 8:53:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
yeah, this guys a jerk off.
He has been buying my stuff, (and everyone elses) copies it, and resells it.
He uses an alternate address to buy, then uses a different one to sell.

Here is a rip of my DVD that I have been selling for years and years for $10
with free shipping,
he sold it for over $20?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60881&item=6384655063

I would beware of anything he has, plus you will pay more for international
shipping.
There is nothing that he has that I don't.
Where do you think he got it?

- VB

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:17:03 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Not so Frustrated beyond belief now

What I meant by this is that no matter how lean the air fuel mixture is
the exhaust is still full of raw fuel.

  I tracked down (I think) most of the problem(s). I pulled the air
intake today to check that the plug wires weren't swapped around and
found that the dist. cap wasn't seated properly and that I had gotten
the fuel lines from the cpr and the cold start valve switched around.
STUPID, STUPID STUPID. I don't know how many times Ive disconnected
those and put them back over the years. I looked at the fuel lines,
compared them to the diagram and still missed it.

I realized that although I had cleaned and re-gapped the plugs last
weekend they were fouled with soot from cylinders not firing because of
A) the dist cap sitting cockeyed so it wasn't firing on all cylinders
and B) Fuel all out of whack from having the lines hooked up wrong .

So I think that this was a combination of
Dead RPM relay
Fouled 02 sensor
Dead Frequency valve
Dist cap not seated
My stupidity in switching the lines around
Sooted plugs
Plugs not gapped correctly , bad plug wires, carbon tracked cap and
weak coil (when I started into this whole mess)

I changed out a plug that was fouled and wasn't firing and things ran a
lot better. Will change out the rest of the plugs tomorrow and I am
keeping my fingers crossed that I will have a running vehicle again.

 >> The above was written on Saturday so now for the update.

Changed out the sooted plugs and fired things up. BINGO! Got the
mixture dialed in and thing were great. Hopped into the car to try it
out and at the end of the street it lost power and died. Started it up
again and headed home with the car surging badly. I thought to myself
"now why is that fuel pump so noisy" . To add insult to injury, with
all this idling too rich in the driveway I had ran the car out of gas
and the fuel sender decided to not read correctly. I put in the gallon
of gas for the mower and headed down the street to the gas station
where it took 13.5 gallons to fill up.
I drove it around for the next half hour to clean the soot off the 02
sensor and out of the exhaust system. More that I drove it the better
it ran. The car idles without a miss and holds rock steady at about 775
rpms.

Took it home parked it, washed it and then changed the wiper seal and
"cat whisker seal " for the toll booth window. Apparently the poor old
window motor couldn't handle the new seals and the cable popped out of
the guide tube when I rolled up the window so I know what my next
project will be LOL. While I have the door open I will be changing the
door lock to make it a one key system then all my adventures inside the
door will be done and I can put the plastic sheet on, put the door
panels back on for the last time and forget about digging around inside
it for a good long time.

A much less frustrated
Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 15:57:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

When you first start the motor WHEN COLD the cold start valve operates
while the starter is cranking. When the motor catches and you stop
running the starter the motor has to consume all that fuel that was
dumped in by the cold start valve. This will cause the motor to run
fast for a very short time and then settle down. Try starting when
hot. It should not run so fast when started if the cold start circuit
is operating correctly. There is a thermal switch on the water pump
that keeps it from activating the cold start valve when hot. This is
NOT a function of the idle circuit so disabling the idle motor should
have no effect on the high reving on cold start-up.

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:23:43 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: New DML member and questions

Hi, Jack -
Personally I was never that impressed with the digital dashes I have
seen - seems actually less sporting to me.  But, as an alternative,
check out the Indiglo lighting which makes the analog gauges much easier
to read at night and beautiful in a rather Volkswagon Jetta-ish sort of
way. It can be added to the console as well and it also has the
advantage that if you have some reason to show the original lighting,
the indiglo can be dimmed or switched off.  My car had this installed by
its previous owner and I like it quite a lot.
 Check this link:  http://www.az-d.org/indiglo.html
I didn't have to do the conversion so I don't know how difficult it
truly is, but as explained to me it sounds like a fairly (by Delorean
standards) painless process.

KP

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 11:43:02 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

[Moderator Note: So far this conversation is fairly civil.  Please keep it that way.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

...because I made the compilation, the disc is my own creation.
If he wants to collect public domain footage, edit it, clean it, remaster the audio and make a DVD then go ahead - don't take my work and duplicate it.

This is the same methodology of the prop making world.
Anyone is allowed to use reference photos from the original props to make reproductions, but if you took someone else's reproduction and made a copy-casting of it and sold that then that is against the rules".  The "rules" is simply the "honor among thieves".

- VB

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:47:13 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: PRV6 performance problem

I have a CIS Tester you can put on the car to check it out. I do charge it to the card and credit it back on return.

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:45:27 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jack, You may not get many answer's back because they were just built
towards the end of last year. We shipped 3 sets last month, and one went to England.
Here is the link if you haven't read the advantages of the new cooling fans.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-fans.html

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:01:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMC owners list

Marvin

Go to the DMCNEWS site and download the DeLorean
Owners Directory.  It not only has all of North America,
it has all of the World - -or, at least all of the
owners in the world who have registered there.  It is
about 43 pages long and is organized by state/country.
 If you haven't signed up - it is free - do so.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867