From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2602
Date: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 6:55 PM

1. Re: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: Insecurity
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. Re: New DML member and questions
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Vin 3323 Restoration Update
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Fan Module Alternative (was Re: Door Opener Adapter)
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

7. RE: Not so Frustrated beyond belief now
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. Re: Replacing speakers
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

9. Re: Idle problem
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control installation instructions
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Replacing speakers and follow-up trim work.
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: Re: dmc parts database
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. "What's in it for me?"
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Workshop Manual vs. Service Bulletin - R12 Anomaly
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

16. Re: Idle problem
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. Chicago Tech Session
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: Re: Replacing speakers
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control installation instructions
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

21. Re: Re: Replacing speakers and follow-up trim work.
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

22. Re: AC question
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:55:53 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay

I think that is a great idea.  Years ago, when I was only dreaming of
one day driving a D, someone on the DML was kind enough to copy one of
their tapes and give it to me for free, all I had to do was pay for
shipping.  It had the E! True Hollywood Story, History's Greatest
Blunders, Scandal!, the Consolidated International DeLorean Infomercial,
the Bay City Limits JZD interview, and a People Are Talking JZD
interview.  It also had the original DMC commercials, a quick news story
on the gold plated DeLorean that was for sale in Columbus at the time,
and a few more tidbits that have escaped me right now.

It was a very nice video, and whoever sent it to me all those years ago,
thanks.  I would give away the DVD that I made from digitizing that
video, but I'm not sure what the copyright issues on that material are.
I am sure that the History Channel piece and the E! True Hollywood Story
are without a doubt still copyrighted.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:25:09 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Insecurity

Sorry I'm late to the party on this one,

I have the Compustar FM spread spectrum system in my car, along with
Toby's door lock actuators & door launchers. The Compustar system
absolutely has the best range out there. (1.25 miles) If you want a
super long range system, this is the way to go.

However:

1. Expect to replace the AA battery in the remote on a monthly basis
(if you drive your car daily and use the remote a lot, like I do).
Long range = terrible battery life. But hey, it's only an AA, it's
cheap.

2. Authorized outlets will NOT sell you this Compustar system unless
you let them install it. I don't like this. For one, I don't want
anyone touching my electrical system, especially not some kids making
minimum wage at a car audio shop. So if you want to do it yourself,
you have to buy it elsewhere.

3. System runs $800-$1000 installed. I paid about $300 on eBay for
mine and installed it myself. But, if you do it this way, you don't
get a warranty, and you certainly don't get support from Compustar.

If you want the best range available, don't mind not having a warranty
and are experienced in installing this sort of thing, get the
Compustar. Otherwise, I highly suggest buying Toby's all-in-one kit.
You'll still get a great alarm system with respectible range, and you
get Toby's support which in my experience is better than anything you
could dream of getting from a local audio shop or alarm system vendor.
Oh, and the keyfob on Toby's kit looks better than the Compustar
keyfob. :)

-Ryan

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 12:02:52 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New DML member and questions

I have Hervey's new cooling fans and love 'em. Installation was
relatively easy, if you've ever removed your radiator then the fans
will be simple for you. They are very quiet, difficult to tell they're
running unlike the old ones that would spool up like a jet engine. I
like that. They also draw less current, can't feel them coming on like
I could with the stock fans.

Essentially it's like any newer car. The fans sit there and do their
job without making you painfully aware of their presence.

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:35:11 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Vin 3323 Restoration Update

Hey Guys,

I've been frantically working on my car and am finally at a point
where I'm going to begin rebuilding the D.  I posted several photos
in the photos section labeled "Vin 3323 Restoration."  Check it
out!  I just got my frame back from being freshly powdercoated a
nice 60% Gloss Black (The picture doesn't do it justice, but I'll
put a new one up that I'm taking on 35mm).  Should look really nice
against my SS Brake Lines that I'll be getting, anyone got any
suggestions of who I should get mine through?

I was also considering replacing the original springs/struts that I
pulled off the frame, but I live in Colorado and we tend to have
lots of bumps and crappy roads.  I love the lowered look but I'm not
sure if it'll work well out in Colorado, any suggestions there?
(Could also save $700 and put $400 into the Wings Aloft Elite setup!
oh yeah!) lol.

Well if anyone else is looking to have their frames powdercoated
etc, and are in or around Colorado, let me know.  It only took me a
couple of weeks to prep the frame and about 2 weeks waiting for it
to be powdercoated.  Contact me off-list if you are interested.

I'll also be posting some pics of my rusty roof restoration project!

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323, Frame 3314
Denver CO

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:02:50 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fan Module Alternative (was Re: Door Opener Adapter)

Frankly, I'm not 100% sure... my electrical knowledge is still pretty
low.  What I do know is that I upgraded the door lock module to reduce
"stand-by voltage" (and get it working reliably) and that has helped a
lot with maintaining battery life, while also reducing the occurrence
of that problem.

Anyway, when I asked John Hervey about the fans continuing to run
after stopping the car, he explained that his module is triggered by
voltage and that if I had a "leak" or short that would be a possible
cause.  After I repaired and upgraded my lock module, this problem has
almost completely disappeared.  Could be a coincidence and that I
haven't fixed the real problem yet, or it may have been a cumulative
thing... "pulling on some wires" could indeed be the reason things got
better.  As I continue to learn more, I'm sure I'll figure it all out
eventually.  :-)

--Greg

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:13:15 EDT
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

I have been following this theme with interest.  Recently I have been
appointed manager in charge of all of the Ulster TV film and video  archives.  I am
currently reviewing all materials held within the  collection.  Needless to
say there are substantial DeLorean related  programs and film clips in the
vaults.  Some previously unseen footage will  be screened at Eurofest2006. (Belfast
May 25th to May 28th 2006)
Any illegal or unlicensed copying of Ulster TV material (under any
circumstances) will result in legal action. I am also a member of the  Directors Guild
and retain copyright in my own work.
Robert Lamrock
UTV Senior Director
Belfast

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:04:17 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Not so Frustrated beyond belief now

Phil, Sounds great. Now I hope the washing didn't get water in the spark
plug holes and condensation in the distributor.Either one will make it miss
pretty bad.

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 19:26:54 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing speakers

I think I found some info on the internet to indicate that the black
spspeaker wires are indeed the negative, or ground connections.  Can
anyone else confirm?  Thanks, Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...> wrote:
> I removed the rotted front and rear speakers from the car and in the
> process of replacing.  I had a questions about the polarity of the
> speaker wires, and not sure which is positive (+) and negative (-).
> Each speaker has a black wire and a colored wire (Passenger rear is
> Brown/Black, Passenger front is Red/Black, Driver rear is
Green/Black

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 20:04:15 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Idle problem

My Renault block (K Jetronic, manual idle) never behaved like that.
I'd suspect something in the Lambda system.

Try starting the car with the O2 sensor unplugged and see if it
behaves similarly.

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:42:36 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control installation instructions

If you want cruise control in your DeLorean for under $100, check here:
http://www.ryanwright.com/delorean/ccs100/

The instructions are not 100% complete yet, but most of the
information along with some high res pictures & closeups is available.
Email me with any questions.

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 19:49:09 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing speakers and follow-up trim work.

I had a question regarding my assembly of the rear trim panels after I
put the new rear speakers in.  The trim panels that cover the rear
speakers, which includes the rear portion of the armrest that
continues from the door, was glued around the lip that the door seal
presses on to.  The vinyl trim is very thin where it wraps around this
lip and was a beast to pull apart!   In doing so, the thin layer of
glued trim (that is normally hidden beneath the door seal) tore and
ripped away from the visible trim seen in the car; enough in a couple
of spots to be visible if reassembled.  I was as careful as I could be
when prying the trim from the glue, but evidently, it was not enough
to prevent the dried vinyl from cracking and tearing.  As a result, I
needed to order new trim pieces.   When I reinstall the new pieces, do
I need to glue it back, or will the door seal be enough to hold in
place?

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 16:30:26 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I give free copies of the video to all the members of my club.
Anyone who attends one of my free BBQ's can have one.
Come to house, hang out on the rear deck, take a swim in the pool,
bring your DeLorean over and I will help you work on it and let you use my
tools
for free.... but if you want me to make one and mail it to you - it's $10.
That's the deal.

I do a lot of trading with other people too,
but I have not seen one single friggin person ever come out and offer to
GIVE
anything away - EVER.

When the F- did I become Santa Clause?

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 22:45:43 +0100
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: dmc parts database

Cool, cheers Knut!

Mike

--
------------------------------------
Mike Green

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 19:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: "What's in it for me?"

Maybe it is just you Bob..

I have given and received many free items, including
very VALUABLE information (the item being given does
not always have to be tangible)....  If I had a dime
for every hour of free computer help I have given over
the years, I could retire by now.

Most of the people around here are not always
interested in what THEY get out of it.  They are just
nice to someone in need.

I hope some day you get over the "What's in it for me"
syndrome.

<SNIP>

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 01:19:22 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Workshop Manual vs. Service Bulletin - R12 Anomaly

I believe the spec change was for all vins. I experimented a lot in
the early days in Houston. My first new D was charged without adequate
oil and apparently adequate air removal because the system was trashed
inside with moisture, the new AC accumulator installed from that issue
was apparently damaged internally and clogged the orifice tube -
blowing the new compressor - that one was under DMC warranty (that's
right) but after that it was all on me. As a result of all the messing
and replacing I found 2.5 to be the best. 2.75 was just enough in
really hot weather to keep the pressures a little too high and kept
the system from cycling and reduced performance. The system will drop
to 2.2 before you know it and down to about 1.6-1.8 before you notice
a cycling issue. So, you can see that the system is very tolerant. I
used 2.5 in Houston for years and got the best results - however, at
any level charge, it is very important that your fans are functioning
properly. If you are at 50mph then no problem, but running around
town, inadequate fans will send the high pressure side to the max
causing poor performance and the potential or some major system damage.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 02:24:23 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Thanks Bill, and David-for your posts helping me with this idle issue.
I'll try disconnecting the sensor, and seeing what happens. The idle
motor will be here Wednesday, but I gotta say, manual idle works very
well once you get everything adjusted; only it is a bit harder to
start. I really don't mind manual but I feel more comfortable with the
idle motor for some reason. I'm interested in seeing how the engine
will behave with the new motor. How can I test the ECU to see if it is
fried or still kicking? I'll let you know what happens when I
disconnect the sensor. And also how much the engine revs on a hot
start. Thanks again guys-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:37:32 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Chicago Tech Session

I just registered 16918 for plates the other day and have 30 (now 27 days)
to get it to pass emisions.  It is running rich now.

I plan to bring it to the Chicago tech Session in a few weeks and rather
than make it one of the cars scheduled to take up Don's time I plan to work on
it as I did 1880 a few years back.

The difference here is that this one is running ( If you all remember 1880
had not run in 10 years and at the end of the day we fired it up ) The gas in
it  was so foul that no one thought the thing would ever run.

This car may end up being the Raffle Car for 2006 so I plan to add stuff to
it.
It needs a bunch of updates.  The cosmetic stuff in side the car  are done
but I want to do a stereo (front speakers are in need to do rear) and I  need
the stereo itself.  I have an extra Craig but I felt an aftermarket  would do
more good and sound better. If someone has an idea let me know and we  can do it
there.

Also there are a bunch of things I want to do like tune it up and put in  new
switches (old ones either don't work well or are faded badly)
Also the voltage gauge is not working (probably a bad connection)
Replace oil sending unit (easiest task of the day)

I also need to clean up the inside of the doors (sandblasting the frame
leaves a lot of dust) and I need to get the passenger side window fixed  (probably
just a broken unit I have a new one.

We also need to work on the door locks since the previous owner  disconnected
the lock electronics so what is the best replacement to put in. We  can do
that as well.

Undercarriage, brakes, wheels and tires are fine (new or refurbished
already) and I would like to disassemble the front end and clean it  out.(sandblast
dirt)

Although still in good shape I do want to replace the fuel boot and  filter.
Its already to disassemble , new hoses will have banjos on already so it
should not take more than an hour.  I also will probably use the New  Houston
Stainless fuel pump support if the one in there is bad.  That  stainless unit is
nice.

Few small dings in the panels I want to remove and that is about it.

The car runs and I plan to tune it up before it gets there but maybe I will
hold that off for the session.

So if anyone who wants to learn or help, this car is there for you to do
your thing. If you just want to watch you can do that as well as I will be doing
whatever I can to the car during the day.

I would really love to get the stereo done so what is the best aftermarket
maybe I can get that and we can do that project.

If you want to help let me know.  Last time there were a lot of people
standing around looking
Here is a chance to get involved and learn how to fix things.  This in  no
way replaces or takes the place of anything the group is doing it is just a
side event when you are done with your projects.

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 21:31:07 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Well, none of my videos features any of this footage.
All of my material is American based morning talk shows featuring John
DeLorean,
other than the original DMC commercial, and the dealer commercials.
I don't sell any other videos other than my own creations.
Just to let you know.
- Videobob

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 21:37:04 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Replacing speakers

Just a note on this that I learned the hard way,
the original DMC stereo system had a different grounding system than modern
radios do.
Take my advice on this one, if you have installed a new radio you should run
all new wires
to all new speakers. You will remove all doubts and save your self a ton of
problems.
- Videobob

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 00:17:49 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Ryan,

That's awesome.  Thanks for sharing that, as it's a modification I've been
considering.  -But I have a question about the way it works.  Is this the
way all cruise mods operate?  It appears the module pulls the throttle spool
clockwise, but is there anything to keep the cable from coming out of the
spool?  I just imagine the cable slipping out the way I've seen it happen
after turning the throttle spool by hand from the engine compartment to rev
the engine.  -Or is that not a concern since the tension should already be
on the cable before you set the cruise?

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 -->Causing my right leg to be just a little sleepy after this weekend's
800 mile trip.

Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:54:18 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Replacing speakers and follow-up trim work.

You should probably glue them back in the way they were.  It'll keep things
from rattling after it's all together and will prevent you from having to
mess with that stuff every time you replace your door seals.

For future reference, the way to remove those panels without destroying the
vinyl is to use a heat gun along that edge and gently remove the flap.

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 09:41:16 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: AC question

Nobody seems to have tackled this one yet, so I'll have a go.  Check the
vacuum hose to the fresh air door or the diaphram/vacuum motor itself
there on the right side. You may have to take out the glovebox bucket to
get to it.
Warren at DMC