From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2603
Date: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 8:01 AM

1. Re: Replacing speakers and follow-up trim work.
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

2. Re: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

3. Re: Who has the best door struts?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. RE: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay
From: "Marian Gibson" <mg36_at_dml_rcn.com>

5. RE: Re: Replacing speakers
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Traces of oil (?) in coolant
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

7. Re: Unladen Axle weights ?
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

8. Re: Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control installation instructions
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: Chicago Tech Session
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Re: What parts should I carry with me?
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

11. Emissions Tuning
From: "Michael Townsley" <michaeltownsley_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

12. Re: New DML member and questions
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Re: Who has the best door struts?
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Re: Replacing speakers
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Re: Traces of oil (?) in coolant
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: Emissions Tuning
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. RE: New DML member and questions
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. RE: Emissions Tuning
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

19. Re: Replacing speakers
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. What adhesive should I use for Trim Panel door edges.
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Unladen Axle weights ?
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

22. Re: Emissions Tuning
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Front license plate holder
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. FREE STUFF --- Was: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. VB Radio Harness.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 16:21:20 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing speakers and follow-up trim work.

Thanks Jake,

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way after cracking the edge off in
some areas!  Good to keep in mind for the next time.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_s...>

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 13:04:56 -0400
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay

[Moderator Note: Perhaps no subject earns the moderators more hate mail than when we allow the DML to degenerate into discussions of the law, ESPECIALLY copyright law.  If you want to conduct a legal debate the internet provides many excellent forums much more appropriate than the DML.  Please please please take your responses to the copyright topic to one of those places.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

Bob, I am going to jump in briefly.. I know many of us are guilty of this
but keep in mind that although you can record anything off the TV for
personal use, the moment you recompile it and distribute it you are
violating federal copyright law. Every photo or video is copyrighted at
creation automatically. The photo/videographer is the automatic copyright
holder unless it is a "work for hire" in which case the cameraman's employer
holds the copyright. At one time you needed to file for copyright and
although you still can, it is no longer required. So you see, those videos
are not your own creations unless you actually shot the footage.

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 17:55:51 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Who has the best door struts?

Interesting - you must have been lucky or have a better-stocked PepBoys
than I have around here.

I stopped by the local PB today - the Sachs (Stabilus) catalog (not
the PB in-store computer) listed the struts for the doors and the
trunklid but not the shade. They were not in stock. The man behind
the counter (had never heard of DeLorean!) looked them up and the
door struts are $44 each and the trunk lid is $45 a pair. Not much of
a deal compared to the vendors. Also - he indicated tht they
are "special outside order" which I took to mean that they would
special order them and "someday" thay might show up. I usually figure
on 3-4 days from any of the DMC vendors.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Packodenton_at_dml_a... wrote:
> If you need a quick replacement, I purchased a complete set for the
car;
> doors, boot and bonnet from Pep Boys. They are made by Saches
Germany (sp) and

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 13:27:04 -0400
From: "Marian Gibson" <mg36_at_dml_rcn.com>

I am no lawyer, but I was always under the impression that one could not
use more than 4 minutes of a feature film or TV broadcast without
permission.  In many cases a fee was requested for this small time
allotted.

Mg36_at_dml_rcn.com

> Well, none of my videos features any of this footage.
> All of my material is American based morning talk shows
> featuring John DeLorean, other than the original DMC
> commercial, and the dealer commercials.  I don't sell
> any other videos other than my own creations.
> Just to let you know.
> - Videobob

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Replacing speakers

Yes!  He can learn!

I am glad you brought this up, I was going to mention
it but figured someone else would...  Impressed that
it was you after all of the discussion about the
harness you sell.

Do you still sell your harness?

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 19:01:30 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: Traces of oil (?) in coolant

Maybe this has been covered before... still -
I've noticed a rainbowish colour in the coolant (like petrol in water)
It's not much - very little in fact - is this normal, if not what do I
do? Am I in for a head gasket job? Or?

Also, does anyone have a simple procedure on how to change the coolant
yourself? Thanks.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
VIN # 06759

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:34:12 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Unladen Axle weights ?

The Delorean Owners Manual gives the curb weight as 1290kg and the
weight distribution as 38%-62%, front to rear.  The conversion is 2844
lbs.  I think the car is a little heavier than this.
We have reprints of the 82 Owners Manual for $15 each.
Warren at DMC

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:21:36 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control installation instructions

Well, all cruise mods have to pull on the throttle somehow. From my
understanding, many people simply run the cruise line the same
direction as the throttle, wrapping it around the spool from the
front, which can cause binding of the two cables or other problems.

> I just imagine the cable slipping out the way I've seen it happen
> after turning the throttle spool by hand from the engine compartment

Yes, this was my concern as well, and it's a valid one. The stock
throttle cable will not stay tight around the spool; it will come off
the spool somewhat when the cruise pulls on it. However, my experience
has been that:

1. The stock throttle cable is fairly stiff, and does not just "fall
off" the spool without some coaxing. It tends to stay in a position to
wrap right back around when spool tension is released;

2. There are some metal guides on the spool that help to keep the
cable in place;

3. It took a lot of doing to coax the throttle cable to actually fall
off the spool and wrap around the guides, and I had to pull the
throttle open very far to accomplish this;

4. Installed in this manner, the cruise is incapable of pulling WOT
(wide open throttle); for that matter I don't believe it's capable of
pulling enough throttle to get the stock cable to actually fall off
the spool in any circumstance. I tested this by pulling on the bead
chain after I had connected it to the back of the spool as you see in
the pictures. I pulled as much as I possibly could from that angle,
and the stock cable - while it did "unwrap" from the spool somewhat -
was nowhere near the point of falling off, wrapping around the guides,
or otherwise jamming.

Other than connecting the cruise to pull on the gas pedal up front -
which is a possibility I considered - I believe my installation is the
safest way to get a cruise in a DeLorean without reengineering the
throttle assembly. Now, you must make that judgement for yourself, of
course; I don't need any trouble if someone follows these directions
and has a problem because I overlooked something. It's entirely
possible this is just a ticking time bomb waiting to ram my DeLorean
into another car. But I doubt it; I value my car, my life, and the
property & lives of those around me, and I did a lot of thinking and
experimenting before deciding on this approach. If you get in there,
tie a string to the back of the throttle assembly, and pull from the
angle the cruise would pull, I think you'll find the stock throttle
cable will stay within the guides and go right back on the spool every
time, with virtually no chance of causing a "stuck throttle"
condition.

-Ryan

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 19:37:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Chicago Tech Session

The "Chicago Tech Session" is a meeting of the DeLorean Midwest
Connection club, aka Chicago/Midwest group.  It's generally for
members but visitors can be accomodated under certain conditions. If
you are interested in attending this event contact me off-list for
details and location.

Dave Swingle, Club Tech Director
swingle(AT)dmcnews.com

www.delorean-midwest.org

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 17:34:24 -0400
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: What parts should I carry with me?

I believe you can entirely prevent parts failure in a D by carrying a
spare of that part with you on trips.
However, those who believe in Murphy's Law will quickly acknowledge that
the very part you don't have will be the one that decides to conk out.

Before a road trip, I've found it very effective to place a fresh flower
on the dash.

My Delorean responds very well to this.

Oliver

Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 00:49:53 -0000
From: "Michael Townsley" <michaeltownsley_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Emissions Tuning

my car has failed the new state auto emissions testing protocol in CT.

The results were as follows:

              HC(PPM)                CO (%)         NOx (PPM)

Allowed       172                    0.55               1207

Emissions     205                    1.52               1548

Contributing factors could be that I have twin turbos with out cats and
I have an exhaust manifold leak. I recall some previous discussion on
the DML about adjusting the car to pass emissions testing without a cat
(and if fact my car did pass 3 years ago). Can anyone tell me what
tuning proceedure I should use to get the lowest possible emissions.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mike Townsley

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 21:08:48 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New DML member and questions

John-
did you ever figure out how much air they move compared to the
originals? Quieter would be nice, lower consumption would be awesome,
but here in hot Houston I really want to make sure that I'm moving the
right amount of air when I'm at the stop light.
Thanks!
-Kevin

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:16:11 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 05/03/2005 10:09:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com writes:
Interesting - you must have been lucky or have a better-stocked PepBoys
than I have around here.

I[snip]figure
on 3-4 days from any of the DMC vendors.

Dave Swingle
------------------------------------
Hi Dave,

I actually don't really care for PB as I support the vendors and order
everything from them, with the exception of cleaning supplies and oil, grease etc.

So, who really has the better struts?

Sincerely,

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:22:14 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Is there a problem with VB's harness?  I just bought one, and would be
curious to know if it will present a problem if I choose to install a
new stereo.  I really don't want to have to rip the panels off to
replace the speaker wire, but it sounds like I really have to from the
discussion here.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 02:56:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Traces of oil (?) in coolant

You can dip a paper towel or a rag into the neck of the header bottle.
The oil will be attracted to and absorbed by the paper (or the rag).
If it is just a tiny bit it is of no consquence. If it is a large
amount and/or you see bubbles in the coolant while the motor is
running then you can guess a head gasket. There is a combustion gas
tester you can buy that is not expansive. It draws the gasses in the
coolant through a liquid. If any combustion gasses are present the
indicator liquid will change color. You can also do a compression test
or a cylinder leak-down test to confirm which cylinder is the source
of the trouble. If you have any doubts also watch the oil level. If it
goes up and/or gets foamy you can guess you have a problem. The simple
procedure to change the coolant is as follows:
1) Remove old coolant
2) Fill with fresh coolant
3) Pressure test and bleed system

Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 03:01:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Emissions Tuning

With these #'s adjustments aren't going to get you to pass. You
probably need a tune-up and an oil change to even get close. You may
not ever pass without putting cats on. The exhaust leak only helps but
you won't pass with a noticable leak. At idle the turbos mean nothing
unless the oil seals are leaking. Pull the output pipes and see if
there is oil inside.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael Townsley"

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:43:16 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

A scientific wind tunnel study wasn't done, but by my CFM meter I bought I
estimate about 80% compared to the original. Maybe someone can tell me or
direct me somewhere that at what point that moving hot air over the radiator
at what speed makes no difference in the cooling or drawing capacity of the
fans. What I have heard is at 35 to 40 mph the fans make no difference. I
never could understand why driving at certain temps that the fans even need
to be on when the AC is on.
Any where in the south where we have 100+ degrees is subject to test even
the best cooling systems in even the newer cars.  As you all know, we even
see newer cars pulled over to the side of the road in stop and go summer
time traffic.
I have also heard of some people driving year round on one Delorean fan with
no problem. A lot of people complain about the current draw and light
dimming when the original fans come on and not counting the 30 amp + load on
the electrical circuit.
I also feel a lot of over heating is caused by not properly inspecting the
car for a lot of things. How many $20.00 otterstat are replaced every 2 to 3
years or even inspected. I have seen several that I show on the site that
split because they were so old and folks wondered why the car over heated.
I can go on and on about heating and cooling, but they are what they are and
have all the pluses that I listed on the site.
If anyone would like to discuss this further I would welcome the dialog, but
due to the long conversations I have had it would be better off line and the
conclusion posted.
Thanks for asking.

Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 00:03:34 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

 If I remember correctly CO is partially burnt fuel, HC is unburnt fuel.  I
think what you are seeing is a bad cat. the possibility of a rich condition
is unlikely due to the high NOx.  you are close in every number so simply
running the car at 3500 RPM for about a minute to heat the cat may work. if
you have a non contact pyrometer you can measure cat function. the area at
the upstream part of the cat should be about 100 degrees cooler then the
output side due to the chemical reaction. It's been a while since I have
done smog tech stuff so I am a bit rusty. Anyone, feel free to correct me if
I am wrong.

Darkstar

Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 11:42:54 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing speakers

I didn't replace the radio, just the speakers, so I did not get
involved with a harness or rewiring anything.

Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 11:47:33 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: What adhesive should I use for Trim Panel door edges.

After replacing my rear speakers, I need to adhere the thin vinyl flap
of the rear trim panels back around the door edge/lip.  Someone
mentioned 3M 90, but am not familiar with what that is, nor could I
find it or something suitable at Home Depot this morning.  Any help
with what I should be looking for?

Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:17:37 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

I posted about this not so long ago... you can find it in the archive. It
sometime in December 2004 I believe. I had my car weight and weight
distribution. That was done on a professional equipment when I was getting
the car registered in Poland. Those were VERY exact numbers. If you can't
find it, just let me know and I'll post it again.

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 06:46:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If you have the older Island turbo setup without the
CAT's, then you probably also have the Lambda
disabled.  On the early Island kits, they simply
remove the O2 sensor to richen the fuel.

Call Elenore _at_dml_ Island Turbo and she can probably sell
you the parts you need to "update" the system to pass
emissions.  You will need to add 2 switches to the
intake that will allow the Lambda system to work
properly when not under boost.  As soon as the switch
sees boost, it disables the Lambda and goes full rich.

Also need to weld a nut to the exhaust pipe to install
the O2 sensor.  There were some other items removed
too, but I don't recall what they are.  Rob Grady did
the update to my Island turbo many years ago.

You can also add CAT converters, if you so wish.

--- Michael Townsley <michaeltownsley_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> my car has failed the new state auto emissions
> testing protocol in CT.
<SNIP>

Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:51:25 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Front license plate holder

Has anyone purchased the stainless steel license plate holder from
SpecialTAuto? I went with theirs (cheapest) but cannot figure out how
to install it, it only has one hole on each end. The others I have
seen from other suppliers have two on one end and three on the other.
I called SpecialTAuto, but the person I spoke to (I think he said his
name was John) said he has not seen the part, and could not make a
determination on how it should be installed. This is my first order
from this supplier, and unfortunately they did not have a picture of
the item when you place the order. Any suggestions? Should I return
the part?

John
vin #7009

Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 05:46:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: FREE STUFF --- Was: DeLorean Sports Car DVD on Ebay

[Subject line slightly changed by moderator Mike Substelny]

Yo St. Video Claus,
I don't charge anybody for the DMC FAQ Facts Sheet I created.
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm
And I remember you almost passed out a ream of them at your St. Patty's Day
Shin-Dig.
Did you click on the other link where you can get a few free desktop images?
Texas is a bit far for me but I would still help you work on your car... for
free, and I'm sure most others would do so as well... at least all the people up
this-a-way in the D community do too.
So you can say I am one of those friggin persons ;-)

Like I said before... enjoy, inform the masses & your welcome.

Shannon Y (giving stuff away for free)
16506

---------------------

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 16:30:26 -0500
   From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I give free copies of the video to all the members of my club.
Anyone who attends one of my free BBQ's can have one.
Come to house, hang out on the rear deck, take a swim in the pool,
bring your DeLorean over and I will help you work on it and let you use my
tools
for free.... but if you want me to make one and mail it to you - it's $10.
That's the deal.

I do a lot of trading with other people too,
but I have not seen one single friggin person ever come out and offer to
GIVE
anything away - EVER.

When the F- did I become Santa Clause?

Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 06:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: VB Radio Harness.

If you are installing an after market "high power"
stereo, run new wires.

The older stereo's used a "common ground", where
modern high power units use "floating ground".  If you
wire a floating ground unit to a common ground
configuration it WILL play  but you will blow up the
radio in a short time.

VB's harness will work in the rare circumstance that
you are replacing the stock radio with another
low-power crappy radio.  I have yet to see ANYONE do
this in a DeLorean, which is why VB's harness is
pretty much useless.

You could cut his harness and use just the power and
ground leads to power your new stereo, but this is not
a great idea either.  Newer high-power stereos also
consume more power, and the stock wire may not handle
the additional load...  but either way you should run
new wires to the speakers.