From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2607
Date: Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:02 PM

1. RE: Johnny Carson D
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

2. What battery is recommended?
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Restorable or Parts Car?
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

4. Re: Johnny Carson D
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

5. Re: VB Radio Harness.
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Restorable or Parts Car?
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

7. RE: Re: VB Radio Harness.
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Re: Generosity In The DeLo Community (Items Given Away For Free)
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: Johnny Carson D
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: Re: Speaker "Grounds"
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. powdercoat the flywheel?
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

12. Where Can i find Dloreans For Sale in The Uk
From: "delorean_2005" <delorean_2005_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

13. Re: Restorable or Parts Car?
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

14. Re: Restorable or Parts Car?
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

15. Re: Where Can i find Dloreans For Sale in The Uk
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: Restorable or Parts Car?
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. RE: powdercoat the flywheel?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: What battery is recommended?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. RE: Door Struts
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

20. IMDB Poll of the Day
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:23:57 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Johnny Carson D

The Carson car went for $41,100.

KP

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 15:05:57 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: What battery is recommended?

If I want to replace the battery, are there comparable batteries at
places like WalMart or Sears?

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:04:08 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Restorable or Parts Car?

My car was similar to that also. Its beginning to take shape now though, and all the mechanics of it have been sorted out! Maybe in another 2-3 years it will be in excellent condition!
Its an amazing feeling when you look at pictures of what the car was before and after.
I say go for it, seems like the foundation of a nice original DMC-12

Thomas Mc Auley
Vin #4087
Belfast

doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

John,

>From your description you are definitely talking about a restoration. IMHO
It's not even close to being considered a parts car.

Things like tires, cracked dash / binnacle, struts, interior filth, sagging
headlines etc. are typical problems with cars that have been in the sun and
neglected.

Get a good deal and go for it!

D & 6530

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:45:38 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

I still have it in my Ebay watch list.  It sold for $41,100.00.  Item number
4544301733.

Jace

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 08:55:23 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: VB Radio Harness.

On 5/5/05, Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone who wants this info for free, I've had it posted on my website
> for several years now, including both the Craig and ASI pin outs, as
> well as the new harness with slightly different colors.
>
> http://www.eskin.net/radioharness.html

See, that's my point. Most in this community freely give this sort of
trivial information to one another.

And Bob:

>> You have tried to circumvent me by posting this information before.

I will continue to post this information any time I feel the need. I'm
simply providing an alternative source for parts, all in the name of
helping my fellow DeLorean owner.

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 15:59:05 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Sam Hill <theborderisopen_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Admit it, you've fallen in love already and 4543 is
> calling to you to rescue it from the eternal junk
> heap.    Though the paint is the most disconcerting in
> my opinion, it looks like you've got a great
> opportunity to do an engine swap project...if you
> dare!
>
> I find it hard to believe that the car did not enjoy
> some kind of coverage for a long part of its life... I
> live in Tucson and that fascia should've warped long
> ago.

The dash took most of that burden, I'm afraid.

I'm encouraged by the number of overnight responses to this post, and
I also received a number of emails asking how much the car is.  The
current owner bought it from a guy's widow along with another, much
better condition car, which he subsequently gave to his grandson in CA
somewhere.  This one became the parts car as it wasn't running.  After
looking it over and showing him how bad it was, I still asked how much
he wanted for it.  "I want a good price for it" was my answer, time
and again.  $500 or $5000? No idea what he thinks is reasonable, but
I'll post pics and take recommendations, as I'm not the best haggler
when I'm excited.  Here's a link to a quickie page I made.

http://johnspangler.com/whitedelorean

It's ironically sitting next to another rear engine car.  I didn't get
to the passenger side door at all, 'cause basically I'm afraid of
spiders and didn't want to venture between the cars.  Maybe next time.

And yes, I'm a bit smitten with it, and I only got a few hours of
sleep thinking about it all night.  I think if I can get it for like
DIRT CHEAP I'll give it a shot, and at the very least have a car to
learn with so I don't mess up a nice one someday.  It fell precisely
into my criteria of what I might consider buying, a late '81 with less
than 25k miles on it, straight stainless panels, good door fit and
gray interior.
I've got a few weeks until my garage is finished, so I've got some
time to think it over.  Another short while in the sun isn't going to
make a difference at this point.

Decisions, decisions...

-John

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 11:02:21 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: VB Radio Harness.

Ok Rich, let me clarify.
I have been using the harness since December, 2003 when I installed my radio
into the car.
After hours and hours of use it has been fine.
Let us not forget that I do not make this harness, nor did I invent it.
It has been sold by this or that person for many years.
The reason I started selling them is because I wanted one for my own car
and the previous source of who was selling them had dried up and they stated
they would not be selling them any longer.
So when I stumbled across them I bought as many as I could.
I have been selling them ever since.
So if you want to count the other people who have sold these and used them
I suppose you could say that this harness has been in use for 20+ years.

I will give you an update in another 10 years, because apparently that is
how long
it takes to become an "official" DeLorean owner.
We must also assume that until you have owned a DeLorean for at least 10
years
that all previous knowledge is null and void.
Only direct DeLorean owning time counts towards any credit for knowing
anything.

That is pretty much some of you guys' attitude it seems.
I will forever be the "new guy".
I mean, you act like any activity BEFORE the DeLorean is just pre-school.
I got some news for you guys, the DeLorean is not that special.
it's just a car.
A regular ol' car with some funny doors on it.
Not too unlike a lot of my other previous cars that I have worked on before.
Same 12 volt system, same wires, same stuff.

As the broadcast engineer of a network with over 70 television affiliates
(up until April 2000) I managed the entire facility, I hand built the studio
and automated airplay master control, and I custom design and build mobil
production television trucks - (from 2000 to present).
I have have made 5 so far, and am working on another now.
I have a line of power supplies that I developed and are distributed
worldwide.
These jobs require a working knowledge of cables and wires.
I regularly stripped, crimped and soldered wires together.
My point?
My point is that long before I bought this car and decided to use a harness
for the
radio instead of cutting the wires I had done a lot of electronics work.
I also used to run a TV/VCR Repair shop, so I am familiar with electronics.
I don't appreciate being treated like I am some in-experienced IDIOT because
I have only had my car "less than two years".
It's still a car, it still runs on 12 volts, it's no different that any
other car.
I know when and where it is safe to use a connector, and this simple wire
harness
connector will handle the power of any everyday radio and a lot more.
It's no big deal, and I don't know why it is being made into one.

Rich, you have done some cool stuff with your cars, I commend you for that.
However, just because I haven't been on Discovery channel doesn't make me
any less deserving of respect.
Just because my life achievements have not been all about DeLoreans
does not mean that I have no knowledge of something like a wire harness.
My last mobil production van that I custom built for Aldelphia Sports
Network
has been submitted for an Emmy for engineering.
I must know how to do something, right?

I am a member of a lot of other forums, some for cars, some for motorcycles,
some for electronic engineering, etc... I do not have ANY problems on ANY of
these forums.
No fights, no arguments, no flames what-so-ever.
I am treated with respect and people send me praise - however there are a
few people
on this forum who have chosen to pick on me and some of you like to pile on.
Why me?
Why am I being the victim?
Because I am out going, out spoken and full of ideas.
I burst on the scene full of gusto and started introducing ideas, selling
those ideas
or finding solutions to problems.
This must have stepped on a few toes.
There are people who have no life other than to sit here and chitty chat on
the DML.
I am guilty of it myself from time to time - lucky for me I type pretty
fast!

I guess the only way to win these guys over is to buy 10 DeLoreans and chop
them up into exotic rolling art on TV. eh? ;P

On a serious note Rich, thank you for your comments
and I agree that there needs to be truth in advertising however I don't feel
I was deceptive. I do not feel I have ever been deceptive and I feel I have
done
good business with everyone who has bought from me.
There are those who may not like my sarcasm, but by business is not in
question.
I deliver my items as fast as I can, I never gouge shipping prices, and
items are always
as described. No one has asked for a refund.
You will find that I can take a lot of abuse when it comes to opinion on
personality.
However when someone attacks my business ethics my claws come out.
That is something I do not tolerate and what has been the source of my
arguments
in the past.
Maybe I am an asshole, I don't know for sure.
What I do know is that I do good business, and I will not waiver on that
opinion.

Thank you.

>From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: VB Radio Harness.
>Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 13:10:57 -0000
>
>VB and others,
>
>I think one of the things that sets people off about VB
>(including me) is when he uses terms like "I have been
>using on of these for years" when most of us know VB has
>owned a DeLorean for less than two years.  My problem
>with a statement like this is that I feel the statement
>is made to gain more credibility for his products when
>this clearly cannot be the case, unless VB has figured
>out how to make his DeLorean travel through time.
>
>This may be a small issue to some folks, but with other DML
>posts in the recent past involving "truth in advertising"
>and "deceptive pronotion of products", I feel the line has
>been crossed, whether it was intentional or not.
>
>Yes, I do not see eye to eye with VB on a few other things,
>but I have no problem with VB selling DeLorean/BTTF related
>items as long as they are not misrepresented to members of
>the DeLorean community.
>
>Later,
>Rich W.

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:10:26 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Generosity In The DeLo Community (Items Given Away For Free)

Elvis sent me some transistors to rebuild my door lock module when I
couldn't find them elsewhere - for free. He even paid for
international shipping to get them to me. I tried to pay him, he
wouldn't let me. Not to mention all of the time he spent via email
giving me details on various electrical procedures, etc.

I've spent many hours documenting my cruise control install and
helping people one-on-one - for free. And I'll continue to do so, for
anyone who needs help. If you're in my area, I'll even help you
install it - for free.

I can't count how many hours people like Toby Peterson have spent with
me, helping me through various procedures - for free.

Oh, and a couple of weekends ago some fellow club members helped me
install DMCH's new Eibach suspension - for free.

We all give things away. Our talents, our time, and yes, even physical items.

-Ryan

On 5/4/05, content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net> wrote:
> I have "loaned" (probably given away in fact):
> - Series 038 CPR
> - Two ignition distributors
>
> I have truly given away:
> - Lambda and idle speed ECU's
> - High pressure fuel pump
> - Gutted catalytic converter
> - Rear fascia
> - Tail light lenses
> - Brand new set of plug wires
> - Several pair of non-shear head balancing screws
>
> Plus untold hose clamps, copper sealing washers, stainless hardware, etc.
>
> I'm sure I am just the tip of the iceberg in the DeLo community
> (didn't Dave Swingle recently give away a gutted converter too? Dave
> Stragand gave away a radiator and drove several hundred miles to
> install it).
>
> Josh Haldeman "gives away" potentially higher profit on just about
> every part he sells.
>
> And don't forget the single most valuable item given away quite
> lavishly in this community: *TIME*. Lots of it.
>
> I'd submit that DeLorean owners are some of the most generous people
> you will ever meet.
>
> Bill Robertson

[long quote trimmed by mderator]

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:18:19 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

$41,100.

Item #4544301733

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:23:47 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Speaker "Grounds"

Ah, I see now. I didn't realize the stock speakers were setup this
way. I yanked that garbage out first thing when I bought my DeLorean
and ran all new wiring. :)

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 16:35:59 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: powdercoat the flywheel?

I'm installing a new clutch on my car and planning on having the
flywheel resurfaced since that seems to be the best practice.  What do
you guys think about if I powdercoated it before I send it to get
resurfaced?  The oven temps would be 450 degrees for 10 minutes and
then 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  I know that molecular restructuring
of the metal doesn't occur until you've reached 1/2 of the melting
point, so it's a far shot from that.  The only reason I was planning
on doing it was because mine is completely covered in rust right now.
 Having it resurfaced afterward would remove the powdercoat from the
friction surfaces.

thanks,

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:41:40 -0000
From: "delorean_2005" <delorean_2005_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Where Can i find Dloreans For Sale in The Uk

have looked on delorean.co.uk and see 3 there

was wondering if there was anywhere else

have budget of 15000

thanks in advance

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 12:08:09 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Here at DMCH the bar for 'restorability' is set pretty low.  If the
frame is sound, even repairable, we're interested.  The body needs to be
complete and the stainless repairable or replaceable.  Most of the rest
can be supplied from the inventory.  Lack of and engine or drivetrain is
literally no problem, often that just saves us the trouble of disposing
of the old lump.  This particular car sounds like a keeper-look at the
frame.  The problem for us, as resellers, would be the painted panels.
If there is a secret beneath the paint, we don't want to be stuck with
it.  Anyone who takes on this project needs to satisfy himself on that
point.
Warren at DMC

[long duplicate quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 18:46:02 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

The answer should ultimately come from yourself.
Here are a few questions to answer to help with the decision:
Do you have the ability to do all of the work for the restoration or
will you have to pay for the parts AND labor?
Do you have a suitable place soley for the restoration as this may
become a storage space when the budget runs low?
Do you have the time and financial constitution ($) to complete the
project? There WILL be unexpected expenses.
Is the experience of Delorean ownership a passing fad or a deep
rooted desire that will withstand the challenges the car WILL throw
at you?
As far as helpful people, knowledge and information you have a
wealth of information between this list and all of our great vendors.

My car sat outside, untouched for eight years prior to my purchase.
The tires totally flat, the interior was wet, the fascia warped, a
family of mice - very dead - in the compartment behind the drivers
seat, binnacle cracked, seats cracked, whole brake system needed to
be replace, etc. I have done alot but have further to go. I have
enjoyed the time with the car, both on and off the road. I can
proudly say that I have been to the "Valley of Death" and back.
Are you up to the challenge?
Keep us posted on your decision,
Stephen

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 19:32:00 +0100
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Where Can i find Dloreans For Sale in The Uk

Stuart Alexander is selling his D and the asking price is exactly 15000

I can forward your email to him if you like.

Mike

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 11:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The car sitting next to it is a Corvair. How do you know the body is straight? The only reason to paint a DeLorean, in my opinion, is Bondo. I agree that "dirt cheap" is the price to pay. It looks like a parts car to me.

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 14:55:33 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: powdercoat the flywheel?

I'ts a waste of money, in my opinion. As long as the friction surfaces are
rust free and properly surfaced/flat, why would care if there's a little
surface rust on a flywheel?

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 19:56:48 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: What battery is recommended?

It's a very standard Group 78 side-terminal battery. The common
recommendation is Interstate MT78, but honestly if you go in to any
battery store and say "98 Chevy Suburban K1500" you will get the right
battery.

The "upgrade" that many people like is the spun-type dry electrolyte
battery such as the Optima. Can't help you with that one, but people
who have them swear by them. They do cost more, the main benefit is
that they won't leak all over your carpet when something goes wrong.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 19:13:18 -0000
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: RE: Door Struts

I have read the posts about which vendor has the best door struts and
this has been of great interest to me.  I bought a complete set of PJ
Grady's struts about three years ago and I have maybe 150 miles on
the car since I installed them.  I probably have a total of 75
openings on the driver side and maybe 20 on the passenger side.

They are both now bad in that they no longer go up more than 1/2
way.  I live in San Diego and the car is kept in a garage so
temperature should not be a factor.

I am not complaining about the quality or the fact that I now need to
replace them but I too am wondering about which vendor to use.  It
seems like some vendors give a longer warranty, some are temperature
compensated and some are highly recommended.

Have PJ's changed in the past couple of years?  If so, that could
make a difference.  Interestingly enough, the ones on the engine
compartment and the trunk seem to still work fine.

I thought it might be the torsion bars but to be honest, they worked
fine when they were new so I don't think this is the problem.  Any
thoughts?

Thanks,

Scot Stern

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 15:59:25 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: IMDB Poll of the Day

The poll of the day on Internet Movie Database is:
"Classic movie/TV car you'd most like to test drive?"

Currently the 1983 DeLorean from BTTF is beating all others, though the
Batmobile is a close second.  Registered IMDB users who want to see the
DeLorean win should cast their votes soon.

It's nice to see that so many people would like to drive a DeLorean,
albeit a DeLorean modified to do the impossible.

- Mike Substelny