From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2609
Date: Friday, May 06, 2005 4:00 PM

1. Time Traveler Convention in New York Times
From: "rickh5371" <rickh5371_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Re: What battery is recommended?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Grounding the Stereo..
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Who has the best door struts?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Time Traveler Convention in New York Times
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Battery Options
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

7. Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Delorean Sigting in Galveston TX
From: "dmc783" <kellybelly2001_at_dml_msn.com>

9. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

10. RE: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

12. DeLorean Needed for Chicago Wedding
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

13. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "dmc783" <kellybelly2001_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Who has the best door struts?
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

16. RE: Restorable or Parts Car?
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Who has the best door struts?
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Re: Re: Delorean Sigting in Galveston TX
From: Sam Hill <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

20. Re: Restorable or Parts Car?
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Spot the difference
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. RE: Clutch repair
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: VB
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 06:58:59 -0000
From: "rickh5371" <rickh5371_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Time Traveler Convention in New York Times

We were featured on page one of the New York Times!

http://nytimes.com/2005/05/06/national/06time.html

The part about the DeLorean is actually a little iffy; the DeLorean
owner who has offered to come by doesn't know if he'll be able to make
it for sure.

Do any other Boston-area DeLorean owners wish to attend, who can
confirm attendance? We would love to have you!

Thanks!
-timetravel organizers

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 06:25:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: What battery is recommended?

Be careful with brand names like Diehard.

They don't make batteries, they just buy them from
someone else and have their name slapped on it.

Who they buy the item from can change at any given
time.  10 years ago, DieHard was a re-branded Delco.
They were GREAT.  In the late 90's they changed
vendors and the batteries were awful (I started to buy
Delco brand at that point).

I don't know who makes the DieHard batteries now, nor
do we know which one was tested by the website you
talk about below.

FWIW, I just replaced the battery in 1860 with a
"Nascar" battery from Sam's Club...  The top of the
line battery (which is what I got) is a rebranded
Optima.

Meanwhile, my 1995 Ford still has the battery it left
the dealership with 10 years ago.  When it goes, I
will likely replace it with a Delco.

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 06:28:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Grounding the Stereo..

This should be OK..

The only thing to consider is how much power the new
stereo will consume.  If it is a "high power" unit, it
would be best to run a thicker ground wire to power
the unit.

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 06:29:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Who has the best door struts?

Best looking?

I am not a big fan of the screw-on ends.

Could you also confirm if they have been re-designed
as to not break the mounts when the door is closed?

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:29:49 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Time Traveler Convention in New York Times

I'm that "iffy Delorean owner", and I emailed the organizers a couple
of days ago, that I'll be there!  My email must have gotten lost
somewhere.  But the more the merrier!

-Hank

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:33:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Battery Options

I run Optima yellow top in every one of my cars including the Delorean.

The battery in the "D" is 5 years old and running strong. The key is when in storage for long periods I do run a battery "tender". For those who are unfamiliar with battery "tenders" is they are simply a smart trickle charger. It monitors the battery and if its full it stops charging. If the battery over time drains down (I think mine is 10% reduction),  it will trickle juice to it until its at capacity again.

I like the Optima because, as Dave said, it will not leak all over and make a mess, plus the gas emmissions are also supposed to be lower, whch is a plus for a battery located in the passenger area.

Dan Haney
Future Member - Rocky Mountain Deloreans (Name not official and subject to change)

Dave Swingle wrote:
The "upgrade" that many people like is the spun-type dry electrolyte
battery such as the Optima. Can't help you with that one, but people
who have them swear by them. They do cost more, the main benefit is
that they won't leak all over your carpet when something goes wrong.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> If I want to replace the battery, are there comparable batteries at
> places like WalMart or Sears?

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 13:41:41 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak

I just filled my car for the second time last night.  As it was
topping off, a couple of people walking by noticed gasoline dripping
from underneath, near the passenger side (I think near the corner of
the triangular plate).

Looks like maybe a cup or so of gas dripped on the concrete, then
stopped.  I took the car on a 20 minute ride, no more drips and the
tank stayed full per the gauge.

I haven't looked into it yet, and plan to do so this weekend.  I
always smell gas when parked in the garage, so I know something is
allowing fumes to escape all the time, and hope it is obvious when I
take a look at it.  but if it isn't obvious, anyone have a similar
experience?  Could it be something like a leak in filler tube/pipe
between the tank and gas fill opening?

I suspect parts are original for the fuel tank equipment. Perhaps I am
in need of some sort of fuel system replacement kit.

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 15:45:53 -0000
From: "dmc783" <kellybelly2001_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Sigting in Galveston TX

That was me and it is an Arizona plate. I had just come from Houston
after picking up my car from DMC and took a side trip to Galveston.

Just goes to show you that you should never commit a crime in a
Delorean because there's always someone who'll notice the car!

Kelly

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 11:55:11 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak

Paul,

If you are lucky this might be just a loose clamp on the top of the
tank.  Remove the spare tire and open the panel below for access to the
tank.  Tighten the clamp on the fuel pump.  Also tighten the big nut
that holds the fuel gauge sender in place.  If you still have a leak it
will be easy to find.

You might need a new part, like a fuel pump boot or fuel gauge sender,
but I'm betting you don't.  Good luck.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 11 years

Paul said:

> I just filled my car for the second time last night.  As it was
> topping off, a couple of people walking by noticed gasoline dripping
> from underneath, near the passenger side (I think near the corner of
> the triangular plate).

[snip]

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 11:06:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I have had the fuel come back up through the return line hole in the rubber
if a corbin clamp isn't on it.

Paul said:

> I just filled my car for the second time last night.  As it was
> topping off, a couple of people walking by noticed gasoline dripping
> from underneath, near the passenger side (I think near the corner of
> the triangular plate).

[snip]

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 11:08:29 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Check the large hose clamp that holds the pump, boot, and cover to the
tank itself.  Most likely it has slipped off the lip and floats up when
the level rises as you fill it.  The excess fuel runs out from under the
boot onto the ground.  Go to the pump through the spare tire well and
re-position the pump.
If you need a replacement kit, follow the link.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=3300&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:13:38 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: DeLorean Needed for Chicago Wedding

I know that a lot or you cringe at the though of letting someone else drive
your car, but I've been contacted regarding the possibility of using a
DeLorean at a wedding in the Chicago area this August.

The couple's desire is to have the groom make a Grand Entrance, by arriving
in a DeLorean. And, as we all know, no wedding (or marriage) is truly
complete without at least one DeLorean :)

So if you're interested in helping to make this couple's wedding even more
memorable, please contact them directly.

Contact Christine Simich
crazy_animal20(at)yahoo.com

Perhaps we should try to talk them into delaying their wedding until the
DeLorean Car Show www.DeLoreanCarShow.com in June of 2006 at Pheasant Run.
Then they could have over 100 DeLoreans at their wedding :)

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 16:36:00 -0000
From: "dmc783" <kellybelly2001_at_dml_msn.com>

I had a similar problem. However, I had a lot of fuel pour out during
fillups. It turned out to be a cracked plastic screw cap that goes on
top of the o-ring on top of a part referred to as a "petrol GA tube"
in the parts catalog. If you are opening up that area to have a look,
you might want to check this out as well.

Kelly
VIN 783

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 16:50:59 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the advice.  Hopefully it is as simple as you suggest.
Can't stand the gas smell in car all the time.

Paul

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 11:48:59 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Our struts are the proper length for the Delorean door.
Warren at DMC

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 18:19:32 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Restorable or Parts Car?

If you can "adopt" it (as I did my Volare' from VQ in Elfrida, AZ), I would
think restoration would be well worth it.  Even if it can be obtained very
inexpensively- still a good deal.  Once you acquire it, bear in mind:  how
much is somethiing worth if it is not for sale?   Personally, I would
actively persue adoption.       Drive Stainless       Robert    VIN 6924
Sp. Tag- AgBULIT

From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Restorable or Parts Car?
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 01:46:32 -0000

Hi-

I had the experience of checking out a sad DeLorean today, vin #4543
from 10/81 that was painted white and had been sitting in the Tucson,
AZ sun for "at least 8 years"  I haven't even touched a DeLorean in
several years, so the opportunity drew me like a moth even though I
knew it wasn't going to be pretty.  I was just wondering, at what
point does a car become a "parts car" versus something that could be
restored.  Here's the good and the bad:

Good:  Tucson is pretty dry, so frame rust *should* be minimal if any,
the body (painted white) seems straight and the doors line up well.
Good condition front fascia (no eyebrows), it has all 4 wheels plus
the spare, which has been sitting on the engine for who knows how
long.  The seats seem ok, as well as some interior bits (gray
interior). It only has 25k miles on the odometer.  The trunk release
cable is usable (though the handle is missing), and the glass is all
there and ok, though the tinting turned purple.  Doesn't appear to
have been in an accident, just unloved, and the previous owner died
several years ago of old age.

Bad:  Definitely non-running, painted white with insides of doors
painted black, 2 blown front tires, SEVERELY cracked dash & binnacle,
no battery (couldn't test anything), possibly no key, filthy interior,
sagging door headliners, struts are rusty and not working well, has
been sitting for 8 years. And off the top of my head I noticed the
following items "missing": Rear louvres & deck lid, air filter housing
(thing with the DMC sticker usually on it), distributor (cables are
everywhere), alternator, fuse cover, and probably lots of other parts
I'm not familiar with.  And some part of the rear end fiberglass is
broken, I'm guessing it's a support bracket of some kind, and there's
a pretty good size dent below the bumper line on the rear fascia,
presumably where some meathead tried to tow it but ripped something
off instead.

So, along with not knowing why someone stopped driving it sometime in
the last 23 years... would you consider this a parts car or a
restoration project for some brave soul?  I took pictures if anyone
wants to see it.

-John Spangler

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 14:25:31 -0400
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

Warren,

  Best looking?  They're door struts.  How good looking do they need
to be?  Also, how are they easier to buy than from any of the other
vendors?  Because you provided the links in your e-mail?  If so, then
here's the easiest way to buy from the other vendors:

PJ Grady- http://pjgrady.com/additem.asp?id=3146&q=1

Hervy- http://www.specialtauto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=BASK&Store_Code=sta&Action=ADPR&Product_Code=100592-1&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

DMC, CA- http://deloreanmotorcenter.com/_100592s.html

The logic to that message makes no sense to me.

-Aaron Crocco
VIN 5591
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 11:29:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sam Hill <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Sigting in Galveston TX

So how did your trip go?

I remember a short narrative on a site somewhere about a guy that stole a Delorean and gave chase, resulting in a wreck.  Can't remember where I saw it.  But I'd say that Delorean owners themselves must be pretty law abiding due to being as conspicuous as can be.  The only crimes we regularly commit are of the fashion sense.  We could probably use some "Queer Eye" help.

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 19:16:17 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Try slowing down the fill rate.  The filler neck takes a bit of a bend to reach the tank
and there is some vent hoses nearby.

-------------- Original message from "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 19:05:44 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

A P.S. to my previous "what is it worth..." question-    "A good price" is
what it is worth NOW as a MAJOR project car. NOT what its' potential is.
You don't pay two arms and a leg for a basket-case Pierce-Arrow because a
RESTORED one is valuable.    Tell him THAT over & over.  Offer him a hand
full of change.   OR, suggest, with the price of restoration, HE should be
paying YOU to take it off his hands!      Drive Stainless     Robert VIN
6924

From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DML] Restorable or Parts Car?
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 15:59:05 -0000

I'm encouraged by the number of overnight responses to this post, and
I also received a number of emails asking how much the car is.  The
current owner bought it from a guy's widow along with another, much
better condition car, which he subsequently gave to his grandson in CA
somewhere.  This one became the parts car as it wasn't running.  After
looking it over and showing him how bad it was, I still asked how much
he wanted for it.  "I want a good price for it" was my answer, time
and again.  $500 or $5000? No idea what he thinks is reasonable, but
I'll post pics and take recommendations, as I'm not the best haggler
when I'm excited.  Here's a link to a quickie page I made.

http://johnspangler.com/whitedelorean

It's ironically sitting next to another rear engine car.  I didn't get
to the passenger side door at all, 'cause basically I'm afraid of
spiders and didn't want to venture between the cars.  Maybe next time.

And yes, I'm a bit smitten with it, and I only got a few hours of
sleep thinking about it all night.  I think if I can get it for like
DIRT CHEAP I'll give it a shot, and at the very least have a car to
learn with so I don't mess up a nice one someday.  It fell precisely
into my criteria of what I might consider buying, a late '81 with less
than 25k miles on it, straight stainless panels, good door fit and
gray interior.
I've got a few weeks until my garage is finished, so I've got some
time to think it over.  Another short while in the sun isn't going to
make a difference at this point.

Decisions, decisions...

-John

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 20:25:26 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Spot the difference

Hi All

Just got my new project engine today (ain't eBay wonderful). This engine
is a late distributorless 2963cc Renault Laguna engine. It's got
hydraulic tappets and the balance shaft on the right hand bank. Just
thought people might be interested in a couple of pics. Sorry for the
quality, these were taken on a camera phone. I'll be stripping this
engine and rebuilding it as a turbo. Yes that's a DeLorean manifold on
the floor that I used to demonstrate the identicalness of the head (at
least on the exhaust side... )  The engine next to it is a stock
DeLorean engine I've built from scratch using a crate Volvo B28F and a
Renault 25 turbo block. Nearly finished! (Matt Spittle notice your AC
pulley brackets and wheels looking very pretty!)

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSC00035.jpg
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSC00036.jpg

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 19:36:50 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Clutch repair

  Well, my clutch suddenly began screeching at me last weekend (dratted
throw-out bearing). Time for clutch work.  My last foray into this
experience was nearly 30 yrs ago on a '52 Chevy.  Messy, but not that
difficult.    Problem:  the Shop Manual is NO help in R&R, and I didn't
fiind any info in the archives.  Are there "Follow these steps" out there to
be obtained?  I don't particularly want to just start removing parts that I
"think" might need to be.  The Chevy was quite straight forward. I think
this endeavor may be a bit more involved.     Assistance is always
appreciated.         Drive Stainless   (when able)      Robert   VIN 6924

Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 10:37:31 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: VB

[Moderator Note:  Unless someone has a constructive comment this topic is closed.  Feel free to discuss alternate sources of parts and labor for the DeLorean, but if you want to critique the practice of capitalism in American, please do it in an economics forum.  The subject is too weighty for the little old DML.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

Michael,

You speak of "alternative grey market sites"; do you realize Robert
himself is simply buying from these sites and reselling? They aren't
"alternative grey market", they're his suppliers, for crying out loud.
That's right - many of Robert's items (his LEDs, antennas, and radio
harness that I know of) are simply bought at retail on public web
sites and marked up significantly.

To give an example, he bought some power antennas on a public web site
for ~$17 and was selling them on the list for $99 (he has since
lowered his prices, but they're still quite expensive considering how
he gets them). Now, don't misunderstand - I don't have a problem with
people making a profit. However, this is akin to John Hervey buying
alternators from Schuck's for $100 that any of us can buy and selling
them for $500, and yes, I would call him out on it just the same. Why,
because it's opportunistic and immoral within the context of our
little community.

Now, I want to be perfectly fair to Robert: He does include
DeLorean-specific instructions for the products (although you can find
instructions free in the community) and supports his customers. He has
also manufacturered some of his own products (such as that shifter
decal), which I think is good for the community. So he's not a bad
person. If he bought his items wholesale like a real business does and
priced them fairly, even if they were a bit more expensive, nobody
would have these problems with him.

Tom said,

>> I think Bob deserves some space to post here without being dumped
>> on every time he does.  It's not fair.

There are others on the list who don't think it's fair to sell things
in the manner he does. Last year, when I was a new DeLorean owner, I
asked about power antennas on the list. Robert responded with a link
to his web site so I paid him $70 for one because I didn't know any
better. I wish somebody would have told me, "He just buys them from
this web site for $17. You can, too."

DeLorean parts are expensive enough as it is; we don't need common,
inexpensive cross-reference parts being jacked up and sold based on
common misconceptions about price & availability. So that is why, when
some of us see Robert advertising, we respond and post the truth. He's
not being "dumped on", and it's not personal; I'd do the same for
anyone who sold parts like this.

-Ryan