From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2616
Date: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 2:14 PM

1. Re: Cracked Windshield
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Re: Update/Next Question
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Cooling fan fell off the motor shaft
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Re: Cooling fan fell off the motor shaft
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: Re: Cooling fan fell off the motor shaft
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Cracked Windshield
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

7. Re: Cracked Windshield
From: Paul Gress <pgress_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. Re: Removing windscreen trim
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:53:43 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cracked Windshield

On 4/25/05, Mike Walsh <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net> wrote:
> Here is a pic of the cracked windshield
> http://www.oneskydojo.com/delorean/windsh.JPG

Amazing - my windshield just cracked AGAIN (less then two years from
the last new one), and it looks exactly the same:

http://www.eskin.net/photos/windshield/thumb/600142-4251_IMG.JPG

My insurance company isn't going to be too happy about this.

-Hank

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Update/Next Question

The LEDs have not been installed yet.  This is
strictly a problem with the incand bulbs.

--- David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:
> If you have L.E.D.'s you will have to do something
> about the flasher.

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:15:48 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling fan fell off the motor shaft

Same thing happened to me. I tried gluing mine back on (yes, really)
with some "quicksteel" stuff; it lasted awhile, but eventually fell
back off.

I removed mine and replaced the whole thing with John Hervey's new
low-profile fans and am very happy with the result. It wasn't cheap,
but nothing is. :)

You don't have to remove the radiator to deal with this - and I don't
recommend it. It's not a fun job. Sounds easy until you're halfway
done and realize you get to deal with the A/C stuff, too. *groan* ..
Instead, you can leave the radiator connected and lift it up and out
of the way. Lower the front torsion bar (four bolts and it will swing
down & out of the way; you don't have to fully remove it). I believe I
had to remove the horns and the brackets underneath them as well for
clearance. Unbolt the fans from the radiator. It's a pain, but it's
still infinitely easier than taking the whole radiator out. Unbolt the
radiator from it's mounts, remove the brackets, and you should be able
to push it out of the way (toward the front of the car) enough to get
the fans out. For obvious reasons, be careful with the radiator and
watch the coolant & freon connections so as to not damage them or the
hose bibs on them.

If you decide to install John's new fans, they go right in quite
easily since they're so much thinner than stock.

This job isn't terribly difficult if you leave the radiator in. An
hour or two, tops, including reassembly, and you save getting soaked
in coolant, refilling, etc.

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:21:55 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

One more: If you do pull the radiator out, you might consider
replacing it with a new 3 core brass radiator. At the very least be
prepared to buy one. The stock radiator has plastic hose bibs and they
break easily, rendering the whole radiator worthless. When you break
one, you get to hit yourself on the head, utter some choice words, and
feel a couple hundred bucks float out of your wallet... (been there,
done that, got the t-shirt).

So there's another reason to do this job with the radiator still installed.

-Ryan

On 5/11/05, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:
> Same thing happened to me. I tried gluing mine back on (yes, really)
> with some "quicksteel" stuff; it lasted awhile, but eventually fell
> back off.
>
> I removed mine and replaced the whole thing with John Hervey's new
> low-profile fans and am very happy with the result. It wasn't cheap,
> but nothing is. :)

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:09:52 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cooling fan fell off the motor shaft

Oh, boy. How could I forget about that plastic fan shroud. Yeah, that
thing has to go, and it isn't fun. I didn't break any of my studs,
though. ;-)

I still hold to my "you don't have to remove the radiator" line. Like
Jake, I had just replaced my radiator and did NOT want to pull it
again. I still managed to get the entire fan assembly out without
damaging anything and without disconnecting any of the radiator or
condenser lines, in much less time than it took me to remove that
radiator the first time.

-Ryan

On 5/11/05, Dave Swingle <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com> wrote:
> You got it slighly out of order. Remove the fan shroud (after snapping
> off a few of the studs on the bottom of the lower grille) - Remove the
> front torsion bar, lower radiator brackets, and then the
> radiator/condenser/fan assembly all in one piece.
>
> You should be able to "rotate" the whole assembly around the driver-
> side end so that you don't have to disconnect the freon hoses. Then
> take it apart breaking even more of those tiny screws.If you have ever
> even considered replacing the radiator, this would be a grea time to do
> it.
>
> Plan on removing the whole grille to spot-weld some new studs across
> the bottom. Good time to upgrade that to stainless too.
>
> Dave Swingle (continuing as the master of turning a $5 job into a $500
> job)
[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:32:14 -0400
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

I am wondering if dropping the windshield wiper arm can cause the crack.
Have a look at where the arm contacts the windshield. If there are other
problems with the glass could the force of the arm dropping cause a crack?

Mike'

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:46:09 -0400
From: Paul Gress <pgress_at_dml_optonline.net>

Hank wrote:

>On 4/25/05, Mike Walsh <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net> wrote:
>

>>Here is a pic of the cracked windshield
>>http://www.oneskydojo.com/delorean/windsh.JPG
>>

>Amazing - my windshield just cracked AGAIN (less then two years from
>the last new one), and it looks exactly the same:
>
>http://www.eskin.net/photos/windshield/thumb/600142-4251_IMG.JPG
>
>My insurance company isn't going to be too happy about this.
>
>-Hank

These are stress cracks from the car flexing.  Inspect the frame for
cracks, or anything else that may allow the car to flex.

Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:51:03 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Removing windscreen trim

Hello Andrew.  I am in the middle of doing a complete paint overhaul right
now.  All trim, facias, bumpers, ect.  The trim around the windsheid was the
first thing I did, and I did not take them off at all.  I just taped and off the whole
area with plastic and sanded it down to the bare metal.  Then I just painted it.
It looks great, and if you would like, I have pictures documenting the who
project and I would be happy to e-mail them to you so you can see the
proccess.  Just gimme an e-mail at:  coreysmoo(AT)hotmail.com.

Cheers,
Corey
2423