From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2621
Date: Sunday, May 15, 2005 2:53 PM

1. RE: Re: Barris DeLorean Auction
From: "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_nucleus.com>

2. Convex mirrors - almost ready!
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

3. odd year for 5898
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: The Door Strut Experiment
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: The Door Strut Experiment
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: Re: Barris DeLorean Auction
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

7. RE: Re: Barris DeLorean Auction
From: "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_nucleus.com>

8. RE: Re: Cooling fan fell off the motor shaft plus the Barris Car
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

9. DeLorean DVD on Ebay is a rip off copy of Back from the Future
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

10. New 82 Delo
From: <bill.schafer_at_dml_us.army.mil>

11. Re: Re: The Door Strut Experiment
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: odd year for 5898
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

13. Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Loose fuel lines - why??
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

15. Midwest Club Tech Day (week) report
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. Re: odd year for 5898
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. PADMC Spring Pittsburgh Tech Session - May 21, 2005 - Western PA - Pittsburgh RSVP
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

18. RE: Loose fuel lines - why??
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 13:27:41 -0600
From: "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_nucleus.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Barris DeLorean Auction

When I contacted the auction house, I informed them with the correct
information about Barris, and made them well aware that neither he, nor his
company had anything to do with the "actual" movie cars.  I've seen his
replica up close a couple of times, and it is modified to look like the Part
II version, with Mr. Fusion.  Since my phone call and I know Stephen Clark
also emailed them with the proper information, a "Special Notice" has gone
up on the auction listing website, stating that it could be a replica car.

Either way, the fact that this auction is being marketed as a Part III
DeLorean, is what first got confused me.  Either Barris has transformed his
DeLorean to a Part III version since, or he has somehow got hold of an
actual Universal car.  Problem is, Universal is not likely to sell off these
cars, and it's also still listed in their props department warehouse.  But
there was more than one DeLorean ever used throughout the trilogy, so one
can't be too sure.  The only way to truly ever know where all the "actual"
movie cars ended up is if Universal ever released this information.  I know
that at one time, the DOA had all the VIN numbers of the screen used cars in
their database.

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:45:51 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Convex mirrors - almost ready!

Hello all

The convex mirrors have been ordered and are ready! I will have them on
Monday. They will soon be ready to be shipped. I think that I should be
ready to start shipping them out by the end of the week. I still need to
find some proper boxes to make sure that you will receive just TWO mirrors
and not two hundred :). If I find some boxes I will let you all know what
the shipping will be. I do NOT charge more for shipping. I will let you know
the actual rate and that is what you will pay. Stay tuned for the next
update.
In the mean time I uploaded some pictures to the photos section of the
group. I created a new folder called "Extended Convex mirrors". There you
will find some pictures of the view in the OEM mirror as well as the view in
the new mirror. On one of the pictures I drew a red line showing approximate
view in the OEM mirror to give an idea how much better the new mirror is. I
also drew arrows to show the line where the regular convex ends and the
extended convex starts. The line is actually a clear line (no mirror finish)
and you can make it any color you like. I made mine black by painting a
black strip on the back of the mirror to cover the line. You can paint it
any other color and the line will be that color. I will have pictures and
detailed explanation on how to do it with the instructions on how to install
those new mirrors. As you can see in the pictures the line is white. I just
made it white hoping that it will be more visible in the pictures.
Unfortunately the camera focusing on the objects in the mirror made the line
almost invisible. You can see it clearly on the picture showing just the
glass.
About the heating pads - the wiring is in place and working. All you will
have to do is run two wires from inside the door to the mirror... no cutting
or splicing wires, just plug-and-play installation. It just can't be easier.
All who are interested in a set and already emailed me will get a private
email from me as soon as I have calculated all the shipping costs.
All new orders from now on will be for the extended convex mirrors WITH
heating pads. They are no longer an option. I decided to go this way because
they are giving me a really good price on the heaters - $5 each. Also, since
all the wiring is already in place in the car the installation is very
simple. Of course if you don't want them you don't have to connect the wires
but I believe that anyone will be very happy with those heaters in every
climate. Snow and ice are the obvious but rain and fog also make mirrors
useless.

Go ahead and check out my new pictures. Since Yahoo limits the size I can
email full size pictures by private email.

Stay tuned for the next update

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:10:09 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: odd year for 5898

I have owned my car now close to four happy years... well out of the
four years the car is now fully operational... still needs a little
bit of work... but I have experiance something since I got it
back... jelously.

Coming out of a resturant the other day i found someone had spit on
my window... and it was chew.

I had it hit from behind... luckly no damage...

Had people try to run me off the road twice.

Had some use it as a restroom... well just the outside again lucky
nothing got inside....

also driving home a branch out of nowhere falls and hits my front
side... needs paint now on the passanger side bumper.

And someone decided to take a razor to the drivers side front
facia... not really bad but a nice cut into the paint on the car.

frist year of minimal problems... and I get all of this!!! What
luck!!!

Sorry just needed to vent....  My poor car.

Darryl

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:12:46 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The Door Strut Experiment

Turn your torsion bars down a notch or so, then try it again. Sounds
like they are still too tight.

I never use the 20 inches of lift without struts as a measuring point.

With new struts installed, take them down or up a notch. Recently in a
car with door launchers, and door lock actuators, we turned them down
a notch due to the difference in weight versus the old solenoids. I
don't see how you figure actuators and launchers are heavier than the
solenoids.

But just turn your torsion bars down, and adjust them till they are
right for your car. They are simply wound too tight.

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:14:55 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You on the other hand need to have your torsion bars adjusted. You
don't need a refund, just adjust the doors properly, one notch per
door, and you will change your tune.

If you torsion bars are in need of an adjustment, even new struts
won't have an amazing effect on them.

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Hi, Wanna trade struts? I have a new pr. that won't even come close
to breaking your mounts. They are about 3 weeks old from Gradys, I
havn't contacted them  about exchange yet, as they are weak and uneven
lift. They also have alot of side to side and back and forth play. My
old ones don't have the play and I'm told they shoudn't have
play.Tried another D owners struts on my car and they worked fine, so
I know the tortion bars are set correct. Thanks for you time.

> Rustproof <Rustproof_at_dml_c...> wrote:All,
> I just had an opportunity to install the Grady struts. My intention
was to
> take a few measurements to set a base- line for the test. After I set my
> torsion bars to the proper "Hang" point, (without struts, about 20
inches
> from sill to door.) I installed the Grady lifts and let them go with
just an
> unlatching of the door and no other release assistance. The Grady struts
> raised the doors with such force that the car rocked from side to side
> several times! I actually had to check the mounts to see if they had
been
> damaged. I re-adjusted until the door's torsion bars without struts
were set
> to a point where they were so slack that they hung with only one inch
> between the sill and the bottom of the door (Almost closed). I let
them fly
> and they still flew open with impressive force far greater than I would
> recommend. I observed no "braking action" or deceleration
whatsoever. They
> landed hard. Closing them took considerably more force than I recall
ever
> using. In addition, I also have the extra weight of the door launcher
> solenoids which is about an 2 extra pounds worth of components which
adds
> even more burden when you consider their mounting position relative
to the
> cantilever of the door. I would assume that proper torsion adjustment
> compensates for the additional burden but not when they are that
slack. I am
> afraid to even try to use the launchers because they'll hit so hard
I think
> they'll crack the roof panel if launched simultaneously. Hearing all the
> "they barely lift my door stories" I wasn't expecting this at all.
These are
> VERY powerful struts. The most surprising aspect was this first
round was
> observed at 68 degrees during the day and again at 39 degrees at
night with
> no discernable change. My old struts worked OK during the day with
the sun
> beating on it but were nearly worthless below 50 degrees. I believe
I may

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 17:41:24 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

Just FYI - the Barris car went for $40,250.
KP

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 17:58:51 -0600
From: "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_nucleus.com>

The car sold today for $35,000.  The auction house had it listed with an
estimate of $55,000 to $85,000.  Far below than what was expected.  My best
guess is that the car is in poor shape, but that alone doesn't prove if it's
a Barris replica, or a screen used car.  The Part III car from Universal
is/was in pretty awful shape as well.  It's really difficult to tell what we
have here, without seeing photos of this particular DeLorean.  If the new
owner is on the list, or part of the DeLorean community, we'd love to hear
from you.

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 17:50:25 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: Re: Cooling fan fell off the motor shaft plus the Barris Car

I'm the one who made the repair tools:
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/cooling.htm

It was only a short-term fix since the fans were drawing too much current and needed to be replaced. It got me by until I had the whole cooling system updated. If your roll pins in the fans are breaking then the fans are probably on their last legs and should be replaced.

I dug back through my archives and found my photos of the 'Barris BTTF' car. VIN 02831:
http://www.time-traveler.org/Spaceports/Barris/index.htm

For a while it belonged to one of our NCDMC members. He sold it on eBay to someone and from there it ended up in the hands of a company in S. Cal. At that point it was 'converted' into the mess it is now.

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:56:03 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean DVD on Ebay is a rip off copy of Back from the Future

Hello All:

Received an email a few weeks ago from the Seller (ASWARD55) of the DeLorean
sports car DVD on ebay "not to be confused with other DeLorean DVD's" that are
offered. The seller said that the film is from the early 1980s.

The DVD arrived today. It is a poor copy of the Back from the Future
documentary film that Robert Lamrock produced for Ulster Television, and distributed
from the DeLorean Owners Association from the early 1990s.

Sincerely,

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:17:25 -0500
From: <bill.schafer_at_dml_us.army.mil>
Subject: New 82 Delo

Group,

   My thanks to Dave Swingle & Marty Maier for the exceptional steering rack rebuild and for the new steering column bushing install on 5/11/05. We started at 1730 and finished at 0130 on Thursday AM. As I was driving home about 0200 in the early AM to try and get maybe 3 hours sleep before I went to work, I was driving through the little town of Marengo,IL thinking " so this is how a brand new 1982 DeLorean drove and felt".

Instead of the usual 60 to 65 MPH steering wheel jiggle it was solid and steady as she goes. I looked down at the speedo thinking I as doing 55 and it read 75 MPH. It was then it hit me I had no steering wheel jiggle to warn me I was speeding.

I am most grateful to have to use the speedomter as the warning system rather than the sound and feel of a broken steering rack bushing and a worn out column bushing. Finally, I have the ride and feel of a well put together sports car.

Thank you both for a job well done.

Bill Schafer
11546

"Plan for the worst, hope for the best,
 anything better than worst is to your advantage".

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: The Door Strut Experiment

As my original post stated "I havn't contacted them  about    [exchange]   yet, as they are weak and   [uneven]   lift when switched on doors. They also have alot of side to side and back and forth play. My old ones don't have the play and I'm told they shoudn't have play.Tried another DMC owners 3 yr old struts on my car and they worked fine, so I know the tortion bars are set correct.

Joe OBrien <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:You on the other hand need to have your torsion bars adjusted. You

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:22:39 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: odd year for 5898

My car  was also used as a restroom this last year , but I had left
the window down about an inch and a half so they soaked the carpets
and the seats. I would much rather have had to wash the outside
rather than pulling the seats, console, carpets and padding and
cleaning it all up.

Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 04:38:43 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?

I am a two-week owner of an '82 DMC, VIN 10820, 11K miles from an
owner
who reportedly replaced lots of things from 3K miles on including the
fuel pump, lines, filter.  I figured I might get some time driving
the
car before something went too wrong.  HA!

That said, I think the honeymoon is over and it's initiation time.  :)

Went to start the car today.  It fired up and stalled about 3 seconds
later.  Engine now turns over strongly but does not fire.

Removed the air filter and dropped a few drops of gas into what would
have been the carburetor in an older car (I'm not a mechanic but it
seemed fuel mixed with air here might do something).  Engine started
immediately and ran a few turns until that gas was exhausted... a
second or so.  So I seem to have ignition capabilities but no fuel
where it is needed.

Poked around on the 'net and in the shop manual that came with the
car.

Here's what I've seen so far:

Fuses 1 and 7 appear to be related to the fuel system. They are
intact.

Impact switch is in the proper position and cycling it did not make
any
difference. Contacts do not appear to be corroded.

Located the RPM relay and removed it, inserted a by-pass between
terminals 30 and 87.  The heavy paper clip I used gets warm but I do
not hear anything from the direction of the fuel tank (the fuel
pump),
even with the ignition key "on."

This done, I'm led to believe the fuel pump is not running for some
reason not listed above. I have located the fuel tank but don't want
go diving in there to inspect the fuel pump with nearly a full tank
of
gas.

Questions:

I'm assuming the rubber boot over the pump should not be removed with
gas in the tank but let me know if that assumption is wrong.  This
part
appears to be pretty dried out and should probably be replaced.

Any other diagnosis I might be able to do to confirm the pump is dead
before I order one?

How do I get the darned gas out of the tank if I do need to change
the
pump?

Thanks for any and all help!

Marv Hein
Las Vegas, NV
VIN #10820
NV 88CYA

Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 15:42:27 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Loose fuel lines - why??

Hello all

I need some advice from the more techy people on the list because I have a
very strange situation which I've never seen before. I'm completely stomped
and don't know what to do. Please help!!
In the process of restoring the outside of the engine I ended up removing
all the fuel lines from the fuel distributor. I just reassembled
everything... I used new copper washers for every fuel line and I torqued
the (hollow) bolts to the proper value. Then I started the engine and let it
warm up (cooling fans cycling). I then let the engine cool down completely.
When I tried to restart the engine I noticed that there is gas spraying all
over the engine. I thought what the...... I then noticed that EVERY bolt on
the fuel dist was so loose that I could turn it with my fingers without
using any force!! Same thing happened with the three bolts securing the
dist. to the mixture control unit! What happened? I did that on more that
one occasion and never ever had a problem with loosening fuel lines. This is
a first for me. Any ideas anyone? All the other bolts in the fuel system
were still nice and tight - injectors, cold start valve, warm up reg.
Any ideas on what to do so it doesn't happen in the future?

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:16:33 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Midwest Club Tech Day (week) report

Yesterday was the DeLorean Midwest tech session in the Chicago area
featuring Don Steger. In spite of what some may think, we really do
know how serve up a busy and fun couple of days here.

For a couple of days prior to the official session, about 8 of us were
at my home and did some of the heavier lifing including a transmission
rebuild/clutch job. This transmission needed a new 3/4 slider, 1/2
synchros, and a bunch of gaskets and seals. Luckily the "hard parts"
were available in the basement transmission boneyard. Marty also
installed a complete DMCH suspension setup in a car, and we did a
couple of other minor repairs.

Thanks to my wife Julee for making sure we all ate well - without her
we'd probably have worked 20 hours a day and passed out from lack of
food (balanced only by a few beers).

On Saturday, with a record turnout of 20 cars (I didn't count people
but I'd guess 25), and weather that was much better than expected, we
had a great time and got almost everything fixed. A big thanks to Rich
Wiessensel - "chief arranger of stuff", and Riverside Brookfield high
school for allowing us to use the facility.

The "Big Project of the Day" was a set of trailing arm bolts on an
automatic D  - with some guidance from Don Steger, Jim Reeve and a
couple of others showed how it's done. Marty Maier swapped a set of SS
brake lines, and Don did a couple of sets of upper door seals and
window regulators as well as some other window adjustments.

Ken Koncelic showed up Saturday with the Pheasant Run raffle car,
and "trained" several members (and a future owner or two) in some of
the arts of DeLorean maintenance. The car is now on it's way back to
Ohio for some further clean-up and probably a full tank of gas.

After the tech session, we adjourned back to my house to burn the hitch
pin out of Ken's trailer hitch, so he could swap hitches and haul my
trailer back to Ohio. Concours competitors watch out - this time Ken's
car is gonna stay clean on the way to Houston! If you happen to see a
tiny Ford pickup in front of a 24" closed trailer, don't get in his way!

Off to clean the garage now. . . .

Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:49:06 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I feel for you, and know exactly what you mean. I am a new owner and
keep my vehicle garaged most of the time. When I do venture out, I
have found a wierd fixation that people have to come up as close as
possible to my rear, stay there for several miles, then drive by
laughing (no explanation). It's also unfortunate that some people
would believe that DMC owners are filthy rich, and deserve to have
their vehicle spat on. For the most part, I use my vehicle on
weekends, not a daily driver and intend to keep it that way.

Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 15:09:31 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: PADMC Spring Pittsburgh Tech Session - May 21, 2005 - Western PA - Pittsburgh RSVP

Hi All,

The PADMC (Pittsburgh Area DeLorean Maintenance Club) Spring Pittsburgh Tech
Session is shaping up to be our biggest and best yet.  We have around 22
DeLoreans RSVP'ed for next Saturday (+ a Ferrari 308 and an AMC Gremlin).

Aside from the PADMC techs, Rob Grady and Dave Bauerle will also be
attending.  If you anticipate needing any parts or accessories for the
event, please contact Rob Grady -- he'll be bringing the parts with him and
that should save you on shipping charges.

Again, we will be doing engine analysis with the "Mama Bear" -- a Bear ACE
engine & systems analyzer, and we also will have a fuel injection cleaning
system on hand should you wish to have your injectors cleaned.  Please let
me know if you wish to have an injector cleaning so I can purchase enough
cleaner for those interested.

Also, if you would like any major repairs completed during the event, please
drop me a line (if you haven't already) so we can have the appropriate tools
and supplies on hand.

Directions are available online at http://padmc.projectvixen.com
<http://padmc.projectvixen.com/>

Hope to see you all there on Saturday!

-Dave & Juley Stragand (#5927) and Dan & Judy Plakosh (#3872)

Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:18:08 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Loose fuel lines - why??

Maybe your torque wrench went way out of spec? I had a cheapy torque wrench
that went out of spec the other way - it was over-torquing everything. In
fact, we even nearly twisetd a few of those hollow bolts off. Needless to
say I got a new torque wrench!

Try doing it without a torque wrench. Use a 1/4" ratchet and tighten them
down until you feel them get very "snug". You have to develop a "feel" for
the right amount of torque. If any get loose after that snug them down a
little tighter.

The bolts are hollow and can easily be twisted right off, but even if you
tighten them down so much they twist off it is still easy to take the stub
out with your fingers afterwards! For some reason these bolts will not
"lock" into the female threads no matter how hard you tighten them down.
That's why I think that your wrench is just applying too llittle torque.
These bolts WILL come loose if they are uinder-torqued.

-Joe Kuchan