From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2623
Date: Monday, May 16, 2005 8:11 PM

1. June 18 DeLorean meet
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

2. Ken's TINY truck.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Antenna Removal and Replacement Headlights
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. AZ-D In Tucson This Saturday
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Replacement Headlights
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Scathing Strut Rebuttals.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Replacement Headlights
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: Replacement Headlights
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Ken's TINY truck.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Re: Replacement Headlights
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Re: Ken's TINY truck.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: All suggestions..... welcome
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

14. Re: Re: Ken's TINY truck.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Re: Replacement Headlights
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: Re: odd year for 5898
From: Sam Hill <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. RE: Re: Replacement Headlights
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

18. New England DeLorean Owners Club, Maybe??
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:52:25 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: June 18 DeLorean meet

The best DeLorean meet north of the 47th parallel, is only 4 weeks away!

Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada is only 3/4 of hour away from Port Huron, Michigan, and about 1 1/2 hours from Detroit. Good roads and easy to find direction are available. It is located on the eastern shore of Lake Huron - great sandy beach! The village explodes on the summer weekends to the delight of 10s of thousands of people. The beer is always cold, bikinis are hot, food choices range from burgers, pizzas, etc. to fancy stuff that I cannot afford. The beautiful, famous Oakwood Inn is the hotel where most will stay. The main drag is a cool cruise to show off your car and see others. There will be a Saturday cruise to Bayfield, a quaint village not far away. After the cruise, we will relax and enjoy the sun, sand, and water and show our cars off. A no stress weekend.

The USA $1.00 is worth about $1.25 Canadian.

There is no cost for this event other than your own expenses. Free goodie bags are being assembled including a custom printed DeLorean drinking tumbler for this occasion. However, we need to know a count - if you are coming.

Drive carefully, take photo ID for customs at the USA / Canada border, and don't forget to bring bathing suits, towels, and foldup chairs.

www.oakwoodinnresort.com
www.grandbend.ca

Marv.
#17707
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com
office: 519 - 434 - 1666
res:    519 - 438 - 7174
cell:   519 - 852 - 1667

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:52:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Ken's TINY truck.

Wow, I too have a Ken trailer story.  :)

FYI, Ken's tiny truck can pull his trailer missing a
wheel WITH a car on it.

--- rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I know what you mean about getting in Ken's way when
> he's pulling a trailer.
> The gate to our fence (at our house...not the shop)
> got in his way and it's
> never been the same since! I know Ken will jump in
> on this just please don't
> run me over with your TINY truck with the BIG engine
> (that could) and the
> MASSIVE trailer! :)
>
> Rob

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:30:51 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Antenna Removal and Replacement Headlights

>> First question - are there any cross
>> references to other autos for the headlamps at an auto parts store?

They're standard headlamps. You can pick them up at any auto supply store.

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:46:20 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: AZ-D In Tucson This Saturday

This Saturday May 21st the AZ-D will be holding our spring tech
session in Tucson AZ with SpecialTauto – John Hervey. In an effort to
welcome any lurkers on the list in Tucson please check out our web
site (www.az-d.org) as the location will be posted tonight.

This spring Tech Session completes our 2004/05-vendor tour!  In less
than 8 months we have enjoyed the camaraderie and learned from the
best.  DMCH –James Espey, P.J. Grady – Rob & Deb, DMC – Dan & Don,
DCS – Ken K, and SpecialTauto – John H. have all shared their wealth
of DeLorean knowledge and kept our cars running flawlessly in the
extremes of the Southwest desert environment.

This note is not meant as a shameless club plug BUT an open
invitation to those that need a break from winter's icy grip. Choose
an event, send us a note and come on down!

A very heartfelt THANK-YOU goes out to the DeLorean vendor community
your support of the AZ-D.

Randal  "The 3M Guy"
AZ-D Prez

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:41:25 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Replacement Headlights

Thanks Stephen,

I may check these out, but was hoping I could get lamps locally, and a
auto parts store, etc.

Paul

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:24:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Scathing Strut Rebuttals.

This is not a promotion for any vender's struts, just an observation
after having adjusted many doors. It seems a majority of the cars had
the torsion bars cranked up to compensate for old, weak struts. I also
suppose there is a variation of the power in the struts sold by the
various venders. They do not all get them from the same source. There
could also be a variation between batches and how long they sat on a
shelf. The struts sold bt P J Grady have a damping valve so the door
is slowed as the strut gets near full extension. They are not
temperature compensated. Another vender sells temperature compensated
struts and I plan to try them the next time I need them. At one time
DMCH sold struts that were too long, when the door was closed for some
cars, and they damaged the mounts. I  don't think they are selling
that one anymore. Torsion bars don't "lose" their adjustment. Either
they were not correctly set origionally or something changed (guide
blocks, lock actuators etc). Usually the struts got weak so the "easy"
fix was go crank the torsion bar up a spline or 2. Maybe the torsion
bar was adjusted in the wintertime and in the summer, when hot, the
doors bounce open.  In any case the doors should NEVER bounce. I like
to set the torsion bar so with a new strut the door will open all the
way with no bounce. In fact a little on the weaker side is better. As
long as when you push the door to full open it stays there and doesn't
fall back. Nothing looks worse on a Delorean than droopy doors. Figure
on buying new door struts every 5 years, like a battery. Check out the
"hang test" over at dmcnews.com in the technical section. Once
properly adjusted you should never have to touch the torsion bars. If
the doors don't stay up replace the struts. I guess it might be best
if you stick with the same vender's struts so the torsion bars that
were set to that particular vender's struts will work the same.

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:49:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Paul,
Same company, same numbers as mentioned by Stephen ... the Sylvania "Cool Blue"
bulbs are a nice replacement as well.

Low beams:  H4656 CB
High Beams: H4651 CB

Shannon Y
16506
----------

Message: 8

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:17:26 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Replacement Headlights

Replace them all when you do it with the numbers listed below, they are MUCH
brighter.   Go for Sylvania Cool Blue headlights, I got mine at Autozone.
Much brighter than stock, nothing really blue about them, as the name would
suggest.   Plug and play.

Low Beams: H4656   CB
High Beams: H4651 CB

These numbers should be printed on the front of the Sylvania box they come
in.   Thanks to Shannon Y for giving me the model numbers.

-Patrick C.

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:26:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Ken's TINY truck.

And with no lights or license plate from New Jersey to Ohio!

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:51:29 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?

On 5/14/05, Marv Hein <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Impact switch is in the proper position and cycling it did not make
> any
> difference. Contacts do not appear to be corroded.

Be sure that cycling the switch involves the little button staying up
on its own...  If you can pull it up and it falls back down, the
switch is bad (pre-recall version most likely).  I've read these can
fail either way (fuel pump runs no matter what, or fuel pump doesn't
run period - could be your problem)  It's a safety recall part and not
too expensive...  If you have a white stripe of paint on yours, it's
probably already new though.

> How do I get the darned gas out of the tank if I do need to change
> the
> pump?

I did this one while cleaning my tank and replacing various components
a few months back:
I gathered up several empty gas cans and used an el-cheapo syphon pump
from K-Mart to drain the tank...  time consuming, but got it done.
For the very bottom of the tank, with the last of the fuel, I pushed a
couple of washers that were just the right size onto the end of the
syphon hose.  This added both weight and a "rim" to the hose, which I
was then able to wedge under the baffle clips to keep the hose opening
firmly on the bottom of the tank during the last of the syphoning.

This is a smelly, dirty job, but while you're in there, it's a good
opportunity to clean up / repair a lot of stuff.  You can ensure your
baffle is intact, and / or replace it with a new style.  You can use
some acetone and scrub some varnish off the walls of the tank if the
car sat with fuel for any lengthy periods (mine sat for a decade).
You should also replace the fuel pump's filter (this is a filter
before the pump, right in the tank... not the main fuel filter) while
you're there.

Gloves, ventilation, non-smoking, spark caution all required.

The job is a little time consuming, but nothing too difficult.  If you
end up replacing the pump, you'll be in here anyway, so replacing the
rubber boot and boot cap at that time are highly recommended SOP (they
deteriorate, period)... the rest is discretionary I guess.

--Greg

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:33:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have the Sylvannia Silver Stars and I like them very
much.  They are carried by just about every auto parts
store on the face of the earth.  Got mine at Kragen.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:42:50 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Ken's TINY truck.

If you have ever been to robs place he has these greyhounds that the fence is there for and as a result the gate is about six inches wider than my trailer and I have been navigating that for a few years.,
So I managed to bump it and now Oh well you see the story
Rob never fixed it so it can't be that bad.

But the Might Tiny truck lives on forever

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:41:47 -0400
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: All suggestions..... welcome

If the wires are getting hot means you have a high resistance somewhere. Try
cleaning the grounds as previously suggested then if that doesn't help I
would pull the starter and have it checked at a auto parts store. You don't
mention whether the starter ever worked.

Dave Sontos
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:44:52 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Not totally true
I had lights until PA and we found out about it in Ohio when we got pulled over.

The plate found a new home in a snowdrift thank to NJ parking that boxed me in so I had to cut a corner sharp over a snow bank

But we again made it.

Go tiny truck

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:47:21 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Paul & list,

The Sylvania "Silverstar" lamps can be bought at any auto parts store
as well. I bought mine at Schucks. They're very nice, by the way. A
crisp bright light that makes the car look more modern while
increasing night time visibility. You'll pay $100 for a set of four
lights, though. Not cheap.

-Ryan

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:14:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sam Hill <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: odd year for 5898

I'd like to get inside their minds as well because I'm sure that if they were asked why they are so angry, they wouldn't be able to articulate it at all.  I can't begin to figure out the problem of this hostile minority, except the belief that your indulgence in something rare and distinctive is construed as attention whoring.

bravoracer <kingme8_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:I don't get the mind set of some people. It's like a bull seeing red or something. When I
first bought my Delorean about a year ago, one of my neighbors wouldn't even
acknowledge me for the first few months. Although I never really talked to him that much,
he would at least wave and say hi every so often. I guess rack it up to jealously or
something. He's back to saying hi again, but never brings up the car, and neither do I. I've
also had a few other instances were people see red when they see the car but overall I've
gotten more positive feedback or no feedback at all. I also never park it out in the open for
too long either.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Darryl Givens wrote:

> When I don't have it on the road its usually in the garage covered and is my number two
car. Most feel it seems that I'm this "rich kid" with comments like is that daddy's car? Or
must be nice to have money. But I worked for three years cutting lawns working 50+ hour
weeks saving for it. I don't get people. And yeah I also hate that when people are on your
tail for so long, and drive with high beems... its not like I'm a slow driver... nothing to be
proud about having 6 or so speeding tickets so I think people can just be jerks.... Oh well.
It got a nice cleaning today anyway.

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:58:59 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

I have DMCH headlight upgrade kit and it's great.  They even installed it at
9:00 at night as we were passing through. They did some other service and it
was a last minute thing.

Darkstar

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:51:23 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: New England DeLorean Owners Club, Maybe??

Attention Fellow DeLorean Owners:

For several months I have been debating whether or not to start a New England DeLorean Owners Club.  We are all busy and really do not have a lot of time to dedicate to running such a venue, however, based on the responses I have been getting from fellow New England DeLorean Owners, I feel that it is worth a shot.  Everyone seems genuinely interested in helping, which will hopefully result in fun activities and events.

With that, I am proposing that we all meet at a venue.  There was a post on this mailing list by Jeff Torrey, the Northeast Exotic Car Show's Chairperson and Inter-Club Ambassador inviting us to his show.  I am glad too see that Viper, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus & NSX owners consider the DeLorean an "Exotic Car" and equal enough to be in their show.  The Northeast Exotic Car Show will be held on June 25th, 2005 at the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in Merrimack, NH.  Currently the New England Dodge Viper and Porsche Clubs meet at this event as well.

There are several things I would like to get accomplished at this show:

	1)	Get a sense of how many other New England DeLorean owners are out there;
	2)	Meet these owners;
	3)	Discuss what types of events we would like to have;
	4)	Discuss our goals and exactly what we want to get out of a New England Club;
		(I do not want to start a Club that does not do anything to support local DeLorean owners)
	5)	One concept I have is to have a representative or contact from each New England state.
	6)	I am willing to start a WEB Site and New England Owner's mailing list in conjunction with DMCNews (who I have not spoken to about this but based on their past support should not be a problem)
	7)	I am willing to host an event in Westerly, RI.  Why Westerly, RI...I have a friend who owns a motel on the beach and he can provide us with exclusive, secured parking, discount rates, and we can have a rally to Foxwoods Casino and/or Mystic CT which is 10 miles from this location.  I may even be able to get access to a garage is someone wants to host a "Tech Session."
	8)	I would also consider doing something at New England Drayway in Epping NH.

With that said, this meeting would really determine the fate of this Club.  At the very least New England DeLorean owner's can meet each other to put a face to the e-mail address.  Hopefully there is enough interest to actually get something started.  Again, that would be determined at this event.

Again, if there is another event that is more centralized within New England to have this preliminary meeting, please let me know.  Nothing is set in stone.  Also, someone needs to "drive this bus" at getting the New England Club started, so I am getting us onto that "highway".  If someone else wants to "drive the bus" at get this started or wants to help out, please let me know.

If you are a New England DeLorean Owner, please e-mail me off line with the answers to the questions below.  I will wait until Friday before I announce whether or not there is enough interest in starting a club and when and where our first meeting will be.

Thanks,

Jason
wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com

	1)	Are you interest in joining a New England DeLorean Club?
	2)	Would you attend (with your DMC) the Northeast Exotic Car Show on June 25th?
	3)	Would you be interested in being a representative and/or contact for your state?
      4)   Please provide me with your name and e-mail for contacting purposes.