From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2624
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 7:48 PM

1. Re: Northeast Exotic Car Show 2005 / Delorean Invitation
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

2. Wanted To Buy: B280/3.0 Intake Manifold
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Re: Ken's TINY truck.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Exceptional steering rack rebuild???
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

5. Re: Wanted To Buy: B280/3.0 Intake Manifold
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

8. RE: Northeast Exotic Car Show 2005 / Delorean Invitation
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

9. Re: Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: Ken's TINY truck.
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. somebody in AZ ?
From: "standalonedump" <stingray1963_at_dml_gmx.de>

13. Flickering Battery Light?
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: somebody in AZ ?
From: "Hugh Halladay" <hhalladay_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Re: Re: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

17. RE: somebody in AZ ?
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

18. Re: Re: Loose fuel lines - why??
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

19. Otterstat cross reference?
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

20. Re: Re: Ken's TINY truck.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. Speedo stops working
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Otterstat cross reference? (Jumpering & Bypassing)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. Re: Speedo stops working
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

24. Trip to DMC Houston Open House
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

25. Re: Re: Ken's TINY truck.
From: Bob Hajjar <yesinfred_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:57:44 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Northeast Exotic Car Show 2005 / Delorean Invitation

Can you give me a bit more information on this show
Not sure if I can make it but depending on my schedule I may be out there
later next month anyway and maybe can coordinate the date

thanks

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:22:44 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Wanted To Buy: B280/3.0 Intake Manifold

If anyone has a B280/3.0 intake manifold left over from engine work
(or any other source), I am interested in buying it.

Or if anyone has located one in a junkyard... (mine are all B27/B28).

Do not need control module, injectors, wiring, or the throttle plate
-- just the aluminum casting.

Contact me off list: brobertson(at)carolina.net.

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:19:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Ken's TINY truck.

Ken, Try backing in there at 4:00 AM in a blizzard. That's what we did
the night we got back from Claude's. I didn't hit the gate! And that
was with a 24' enclosed trailer with small mirrors and only Mark Levy
to watch me (I couldn't see him OR hear him!)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:
> If you have ever been to robs place he has these greyhounds that the
on-text portions of this message have been removed]

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:29:54 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???

So what are the details about the steering rack rebuild?  I have a front end
vibration I've not been able to track down.  Could this be it?

Nick

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:05:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wanted To Buy: B280/3.0 Intake Manifold

Considering you can buy a complete 3.0L engine for
$100, You should have no problem locating an intake!

--- content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net> wrote:
> If anyone has a B280/3.0 intake manifold left over
> from engine work
> (or any other source), I am interested in buying it.
>
> Or if anyone has located one in a junkyard... (mine
> are all B27/B28).
>
> Do not need control module, injectors, wiring, or
> the throttle plate
> -- just the aluminum casting.
>
> Contact me off list: brobertson(at)carolina.net.
>
> Bill Robertson

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 03:06:30 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Be sure that cycling the switch involves the little button staying >
up.

Greg,

My switch has a white smear of paint on it and stays up nicely.  I have
since determined with a volt meter that I have power at the fuel pump
itself, just no pumping. :(

Parts on order, including those you listed. Thanks for the response.

Marv

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 03:15:24 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???

It could be lots of things aside from the steering rack-it could be
loose U joints, bad bushings on swaybar or a-arms, or bad ball joints.
Check these out-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:22:29 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

Ken:

Just and FYI to everyone, the location of this show is just over the Massachusetts border in Merrimack, NH.  All the info about the show can be found at www.northeastexotic.com.  Apparently,  Anheuser-Busch <http://www.budweisertours.com/docs/Merrimack/directions.htm>   hosts a variety of car shows at their NH grounds.  If the response from DMC owners is good, this could be an annual thing for us.

Jason

Listed below are other shows hosted at this venue.

	Buick/Pontiac Car Show

NH Street Rod Associationís Make-A-Wish Car Show

Spring Fling Corvette Show
Exotic Car Show

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 03:23:47 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_l...> wrote:
> In the past I have seen symptoms exactly like yours in several
> DeLoreans, and it has always turned out to
> be either an empty gas tank or a fuel inlet sucking air in a
> partially
> empty gas tank.  In either case, you should be able to add a gallon
> of gas to the tank and get it started.

Mike,

My fault for neglecting to say in the original post that I had tried
adding gas to the tank. My gauge drops rapidly from 1/2 to near-empty
so I didn't trust it, even though it said 3/4 and my trip odometer
confirmed that as probable.

I've also since pulled the pump boot and can see a fair quantity of gas
in the tank.

I have listened many times for the pump with the RPM relay by-pass in
place and the key "on." With everyone's suggestions, I've acquired a
voltmeter and, under those conditions, see voltage at the pump
connector, so I guess it will be the pump after all.  I've ordered one.

Oh, the little inertia switch stays in the up position when placed
there.  It also has a daub of white paint on it... someone else said
that may indicate a newer switch (post-recall)?

Thanks for your response.  I will certainly take all of your inlet
suggestions into account and watch for those types of problems while
installing the new pump.

Marv

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 04:04:20 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Outer passenger side bushing and the steering column bushing were the
biggies. The car only has about 3000 miles on it so everything else
was perfect, no rust, good rod-ends, etc. The column bushing was the
original rubbery thing and the rack end bushing had disintegrated
into little pieces of plastic in the past 20 years.

The lack of the rack bushing caused about 1/4 inch of play in the
front wheels. Grab both tires at once, pull together and push apart.
Nothing should move (you need long arms for this one). In this case
the tires would move, and you could see the inner rod end go up and
down about 1/2 inch(about the dimension of the missing bushing).

The column bushing, if gone, will cause a lot of vabration in the
steering wheel itself. The test for that is to yank the wheel up and
down. It should not move.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 04:21:11 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

Not to mention that time on his way to a Chicago tech session he got
into a small fender bender with it, while towing a DeLorean (which was
unharmed minus the previous owner's neglect).

Jim Reeve

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:31:34 -0000
From: "standalonedump" <stingray1963_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: somebody in AZ ?

Hi all,

is somebody from the list located in or near Chandler/AZ  by chance?

Thanks and Regards,
Oliver

VIN 4575 / Germany

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:11:31 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Flickering Battery Light?

Lately when I drive, my battery light flickers on and off, regardless of if I
am running headlights, A/C, windshield wipers, etc.   I am running Hervey's
D140, and the voltage gauge shows that the alternator is charging just fine.
Sometimes when the light comes on, the needle drops from a little below the
top orange line to the 13 amp mark, then back up.   This happens for a split
second, only when driving.   This   battery light problem happened to me once in
Pigeon Forge, then never happened again until a few weeks ago.   I had Dave
Bauerle check it out and he said that the alternator was fine and was charging
great.   I unplugged the connections to the alternator and plugged them back
in, but the problem still remains.   One thing I have noticed is that when I
turn the key to the accessory position and all of the dash lights come on, the
battery light is somewhat dim compared to the rest... is this normal?   Any
ideas on where to look?   My guess is under the dash somewhere a wire is crossed.

-Patrick C.

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:45:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Play could be anywhere. On one car I found that the bolt for the lower
U-joint from the steering wheel was loose. Heavy vibration above 40
MPH. Once it was tightened up the steering firmed up and the vibration
disappeared. The point is you MUST look everywhere for the play. You
wouldn't want to spend for a rebuilt rack when it could be a tie rod
end or maybe just a loose bolt! Play (looseness) is cumulative. This
means it all adds up so any play in each and every joint is bad. You
also have to have the tires balanced and make sure you have the
correct air pressure.
David Teitelabum

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:40:53 -0000
From: "Hugh Halladay" <hhalladay_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: somebody in AZ ?

Several of us in the AZ-D are in/near Chandler
See our website at:
http://www.az-d.org/
or
Join us on the Yahoo Group at:

How can we help??

Hugh Halladay
AZ-D
..DMC..5125..

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "standalonedump" <stingray1963_at_dml_g...>

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:03:45 -0500
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???

One thing that I've gone through more than once is tire run out. If you jack
the car up just enough to get the tire tread an inch or so off the ground
and then spin the tire you can see if the tire is round or if the tread
appears to move up and down a bit. Many times it's the way the tire was
mounted to the rim and sometimes it's just the tire but in any event there
are ways to correct that. A really good tire shop has the ability to true
the tire on the rim and even balance it on the car. I just went through that
and it made a world of difference. After the wheel and tire were run on a
machine that slightly shaved the high spots to make it round, the wheel and
tire were dynamically balanced. Once on the car a device that resembles a
small hydraulic jack is inserted under the lower control arm. It has a
spring loaded plunger attached to an electric switch which is connected to a
strobe light. The wheel is spun to about 90 MPH and allowed to spin down. As
it slows down the strobe light flashes with any vibration. The trick is to
adjust the balance weights until the strobe flashes are reduced to a
minimum.

Bruce Benson

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:14:58 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

There is a bunch of us meeting in Tucson on Saturday.  About 2 hrs south.
what's up??

Darkstar

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 19:25:11 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Re: Loose fuel lines - why??

Hi

Thank you for your reply... That's right, I'm 100% polish and proud of it :)
so, you couldn't offend me by saying that... you bastard (just kidding - big
smile here).
Seriously though, I did not forget to tighten them. I remember doing it.
Another thing is that I had the car running for good 30 minutes and
everything was fine. They got loose after the engine cooled down completely.
It's possible that my torque wrench is messed up, as suggested. I redid all
the lines with higher torque and everything is OK now. It seems that it's
time for a new torque wrench. I didn't realize how important it was to use
the correct amount of force on those bolts. And this is a serious problem...
I really didn't like the fuel spraying all over the engine compartment -
good thing the engine was cold.

That's all for now, I got the problem corrected.
Thank you
Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 19:34:37 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Otterstat cross reference?

Hello again

I need some help. My otterstat is on its way out and it's turning the fans
on at higher and higher temps. It's gotten to a point that it makes me
uncomfortable watching that temp gauge rise to 220 for the fans to come on.
Those things seem to fail pretty often. I replaced mine about two years ago
and it's already gone.... strange.
Anyway, does anyone have a cross reference or original manufacturer part
number for the otterstat? It really makes no sense for me to order one from
the US. Shipping will probably cost more that the part itself. Plus it will
take a long time for me to get the part... I'm  in Poland.
I promise to keep my mouth shut and I will not tell anyone what that number
is :) I just need it for my car.
I can always take mine out of the car and find a replacement that way, but I
don't want to put the car out of commission again! I just started driving it
after a three month engine work... it was way too long. Talk about turning a
$50 job into a $500 job.

Thank you in advance

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:17:28 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Ken's TINY truck.

My point exactly
Tiny truck and I need a lot of room to stop
I had a lot of room until the truck next to me switched lanes and hit the brakes
At that point it was just how hard was I gonna hit
So Chicago traffic sucks what else can I say
and I don't think those in Chicago will defend the traffic
But Tiny truck lives on

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:42:21 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Speedo stops working

To all:  Driving north with the Delorean and out of no where the speedometer
stops working.  It just plain quit.   Any ideas as to what it is?  Probably
the right angle drive?  This is turning into one great adventure after another.
The AC quits and then the car overheats.  Get them fixed and then the AC
stops again.  Nothing like a Delorean for a sauna.  Had to drive fast to stay cool
and now have no idea as to how fast I'm going.  Great Adventure..

Roy #0893

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 21:07:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Otterstat cross reference? (Jumpering & Bypassing)

Do you know how to jump it? (Just tie the lines together). Will get
you through until a new switch is available.

Owners really need know how to jump/bypass a variety of systems:
- Cooling fans (otterstat & fan fail)
- Fuel pump (RPM relay and inertia ground)
- Headlight master switch (or headlight relays themselves -- no
side/tail lights)
- Turn signals through hazard switch
- Rheostat lines (dash illumination)
- Cold start injector
- Starter solenoid
- Starter ignition relay (bypass resistors)

Plus:
- Idle manually vs CIS
- Manually move door lock cam (inside door)
- xRef tachometer / MPH

In a pinch, will at least get you home. I've had to do so many times
in my DeLo career -- requisite hot start failure, stuck idle speed
motor, melted headlight master switch, and lost fuel pump ground. Ran
with manually jumped cooling fans *TO* Pigeon Forge. I'm still running
tach xRefs (helpful hint: make a custom chart and tape it to the
instrument cluster lens -- is readable through rear illumination at
night).

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:10:03 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo stops working

Stop and jack up the left front wheel.  Remove it and locate the white
plastic drive cap.  It will either have fallen on the ground when the
wheel came off or be still stuck in the hub.  Check the back to see if
the hole that the angle drive flexible shaft fits into is still square.
  If not, that's the problem.  If the flexible shaft, or a portion of
it, came out with the cap, you'll need a new A/D and maybe a new cap.
Next, disconnect the lower cable from the angle drive just behind the
upright.  Turn the inner portion of the cable and have a confederate see
if the speedo needle kicks.  If it does, the A/D is bad.  If not, the
cable is bad. If you have condemned the angle drive, be sure to check
the cable, too. If the cable will not turn, you must replace it also. It
is extremely unlikely that anything else has broken.

We have them all.
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1295&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1578&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=419&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:19:07 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Trip to DMC Houston Open House

  Members of our local Delorean club are planning on driving down to Houston
for the DMCH Open House Event coming up on June 10-11-12. We will be leaving
the local - St Louis - area on Wednesday, June 8th, and heading for Oklahoma
City. On Wednesday evening we will be hooking up with some additional Delorean
owners and also be visiting a private car collection in the OC area. We will
then leave on Thursday morning and arrive in Houston that afternoon. This gives
us Friday in Houston to do whatever (clean cars) before the event begins
Friday evening.

  If anyone is interested in joining in anywhere along the route, you are
more then welcome. Please e-mail me privately so we can coordinate plans.

  Marty Maier
  MidState Delorean Club
  wingd2-at-aol.com

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Hajjar <yesinfred_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I can't sleep without knowing this. Will someone please tell me what size engine is in this truck?  1.8 or 7.5

kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com wrote:My point exactly