From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2627
Date: Thursday, May 19, 2005 9:15 AM

1. Re: Re: Otterstat cross reference?
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

2. Door Struts Opinion
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Gas Tank Filler Cap
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

5. Drive-In
From: "thebrave65" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Drive-In
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Drive-In (DCS2006)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

8. Re: Drive-In
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

9. Re: Door Struts Opinion
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Drive-In
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. RE: my 2 cents on the door strut debate
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

12. Re: Re: Otterstat cross reference? (Jumpering & Bypassing)
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. RE: Door Struts Opinion
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

14. Re: Drive-In
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. RE: Re: Otterstat cross reference?
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

16. RE: [DMCForum] Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

17. How to install steering knuckle?
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Back to Future Delorean
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

19. Re: Door Struts Opinion
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. New here
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

21. RE: my 2 cents on the door strut debate
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. Re: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

23. RE: Drive-In
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

24. Re: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

25. Re: Re: Back to Future Delorean
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

26. Re: Re: Otterstat cross reference?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:19:59 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Re: Otterstat cross reference?

Hello

Thank you all for all the replies I received. I found a switch at a local
auto parts store for $10. It is the correct one, there is no tax on top of
that and no shipping. Again, thank you.

Robert, the 220 degrees might be ok, but the problem is that the temperature
at which the fans come on is getting higher and higher. That means that soon
the fans will come on when it's too late. Besides I like my engine to run a
bit cooler and closer to the thermostat temps. 220 is still ok but it is
higher that it should be and higher than I like it to be. I will install the
new switch tomorrow so it should be back to normal again.

Thanks all

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 21:24:01 -0000
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Door Struts Opinion

As I said in a post about a week ago, I too purchased the PJ Grady
version of the door struts and I have experienced the same results as
the vast majority of PJ Grady customers.  In short, they don't go
more than halfway up.  Interestly enough, the other struts seem to
work fine.

I have now taken Rob's advice and checked the torsion bars and found
that mine open about two to three inches without the strut.  While
that remains in spec according the recent post by Rob, it may be on
the weak side.  Due to concerns about making any adjustments, I do
not wish to try this so I think that I just need stronger struts.

In any case, I think Rob is first class and I also feel that he is a
true friend to all Delorean owners.  I was particularly impressed
with the story about him stopping to help an owner on the way to JD's
funeral.

That being said, I also agree with the other observations many of you
have made about the other vendors.  All in all, the solution for me
is to buy from a different vendor as the overall story on PJ Grady's
struts is too similar.

Once he changes vendors, I would certainly go back to him and I would
not hesitate to use him for any other parts.  He is a class guy with
a true affection for our cars.  In this case, I just think that he
has a product that does not quite measure up to the task.

Just one more opinion.

Scot

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:03:39 -0400
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina

A coworker of my wife's said that she saw a broken down DeLorean on the way
to work this morning.  It would have been around the Raleigh-Durham area in
North Carolina.  The car had NY plates on it.  Just wondering if the owner
is on the list.

Cheers,

Michael

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:13:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Gas Tank Filler Cap

I get out of the cap test every year here in Colorado by betting the technician that he can't find the gas cap.
If he finds it he can test it... So far they are batting zero, they are shocked that its under the "bonnet".
Then I show it to them and prove they don't have an adapter!

A Delorean brings productivity at an emissions testing site to a stand still. Last time I was tested, every person on duty (About 15 technicians) helped in testing my car. It was a crowded day too, but happily the other customers were just as excited to see the car.

Dave Swingle wrote:
>Same thing happens in Illinois. The technician wanders around the
>car, finally asks where the cap is (no flap), takes it and tries to
>fit it to the machine, scratches head a few times, and then
>checks "passed" on the form. Same drill every time.

>I'd be surprised that a generic cap would fit tight, remember that if
>it doesn't fit tight, it's an invitation to rainwater in the gas tank
>due to where it's located.

One side note, funny story, I once had a gas pump jockey shut off my gas pump so I couldn't fill up because I was "Filling the windshield washer fluid reservoir up with gas!" I told him I had owned the car for about 15 years and had filled up more than a few times over the years. Then I gave him a tour of the car including the real windshield washer reservoir!

Dan Haney
vin 3254 - family cherished since 1985

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:28:42 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Drive-In

Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone ever been to a drive-in movie
with their DeLorean?  I was wondering if the speakers fit in the windows.

Johnny

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Drive-In

There were so few drive-in movies theaters left in
1981 I suspect the only way we would know the answer
to that question would be to go back to the future.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

--- thebrave65 <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:
> Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone ever been to
> a drive-in movie
> with their DeLorean?  I was wondering if the
> speakers fit in the windows.
>
> Johnny

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

Yahoo! Mail

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 23:01:49 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Drive-In (DCS2006)

Johnny and list,

The answers are YES and YES.  Actually, I saw Back to the Future
during its initial release (my second time) in my first DeLorean
at a Drive In that is long since gone, with the lot now in its
second re-development since being leveled in the late 1980's.

However, I have not been to a drive in with a DeLorean lately, so
I do not know first hand if the latest technology speakers fit.

One of the "extra" events we are looking to host during or before
the DCS 2006 event (maybe earlier in the week) is a Drive In nite
at the local Cascade Drive In.  I'm not sure what it would take to
run BTTF, but with Bob Gale there, maybe we can make it happen.

The Cascade Drive In is only a few miles east of the Pheasant Run
resort, so it certainly would be a very short drive there and back.

http://www.cascadedrivein.com/

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "thebrave65" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_g...>

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:15:24 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Evidently you haven't been to a drive-in in a while.  They usually broadcast
the sound over the radio, I wonder if the DeLorean battery would be up to
the challenge, or would you be the last one out of the lot?

Todd

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door Struts Opinion

When did you buy them??

I have a set of rear louver struts I purchased in 2002
that did not last as long as the previous set of
struts I got from Rob sometime in the mid 1990's.

I suspect his source may have made a weak set sometime
in the 2001-2002 time frame, which may be below the
top-notch quality we have come to expect from Grady.
3 years is on the low side of what I think they should
last, but it is not unreasonable.  The ones I saw Rob
installing at the DMA spring event this year looked to
be a bit stronger than the ones from 2002...  At least
they did not cause damage like some other struts out
there have done.

After seeing what has been done by struts that are too
long, and others that have too much force, I would
prefer to error on the side of having to replace them
more often.

With all of the competition on this particular item,
It probably would be a good idea to try other struts.
I doubt your primary vendor (whoever it may be) will
mind much because the prices have dropped such that I
doubt it is a high-margin item.

The DPNW ones sound interesting... But all of my doors
are working fine right now with Grady struts.

--- sgskbm <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:
> As I said in a post about a week ago, I too
> purchased the PJ Grady
> version of the door struts and I have experienced
> the same results as
> the vast majority of PJ Grady customers.  In short,
> they don't go
> more than halfway up.  Interestly enough, the other
> struts seem to
> work fine.

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:20:35 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Drive-in movie? They still have those?

I think most "modern" drive-ins nowadays broadcast over FM... At
least, the last time I went to one (8 years ago) that's how it was
setup.

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:01:55 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: my 2 cents on the door strut debate

Hello dmcgreece,

I still don't understand why half the people on this list won't use their
real name when posting but nothing I say will change that. Thank you for the
compliment in your post. The pistons I've been selling for the last year are
the same as Johns but not because they didn't last. I sold the other pistons
for twenty years with few problems and they are to this day the closest to
the originals in operation, charge strength, and appearance. My reason for
switching brands was threefold.

1. The company switched to a different packing system and the last two
batches of one hundred each were shipped loose in a box. They got scratched
up and the company would not revert back to the old packing method.

2. DMCH dropped the price of their pistons dramatically last June and I had
to find a less expensive alternative to remain competitive.

3. These pistons are charged to the original fill rate using a couple of NOS
samples in (circa) 1984 so I am fairly certain they have the correct charge
that the factory used. The problem is that all the other suppliers
overcharged the pistons by 5 to 10% so people who replaced one of those
pistons with ours thought ours were too weak!

To avoid these problems I reluctantly switched suppliers and have been happy
with the Stabilus units we sell now but wish they looked more like the
originals like my old ones did. One other caveat is that the extra strength
means you run one less notch on the torsion bars. This is good for the roof
structure but not so desirable if you have a remote opening system. The door
will lack the proper preload of the torsion bar to reliably clear the safety
mechanism in the door latches which can lead to remote opening problems. I
do agree that the new pistons are somewhat less temperature sensitive than
the old ones which is an advantage if adjusting the bars are not convenient.

BTW "rustproof" still has not contacted me so I guess he still thinks I'm
angry with him. If someone believes they have a problem with something that
P.J.Grady Inc. sells I would welcome your call as I want every customer to
be satisfied with our parts, service AND our customer support. Our
reputation is the most valuable thing that we as a business can possess and
I am committed to the highest customer satisfaction we can achieve.

Sincerely,

Rob Grady
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:05:50 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Otterstat cross reference? (Jumpering & Bypassing)

Why don't you write all those down in one little document? I'll gladly
turn it into a PDF that we can put on our PDA's or print out for the
glovebox.
-Kevin

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:09:28 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Hi Scot,

I did change suppliers but not for the reasons you might expect. See my post
to dmcgreece. BTW do any of you have last names? :)

Rob Grady

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:12:58 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

Yes, there are couple hundred across the US.
Here's a link to a drive-in database (with the nearest one to Houston,
TX selected:
http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/txcros
Maybe we could charter a bus during the open house?

I've been meaning to take the family for a couple of years now, but
not in the DMC. I wouldn't want to run it that long and there just
isn't enough air flowing without running the motor and a/c for
southern Texas. :-)

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:24:21 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Hi Tom,

An indicated 220 fan engagement is correct for the DeLorean since day one.
Because most people seem to think lower is better (it isn't) it's becoming
increasingly difficult to find senders that come on at the correct
temperature. That's a shame because the lower temp senders increase the
strain on your cooling fans, alternator, and associated wiring, circuit
breaker etc. The actual temperature they come on is about 208 (if you use a
digital pyrometer like I do) but the optimistic gauge will read 220 at that
temp. So the engine really isn't as hot as you thought.

Rob Grady

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:30:00 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: [DMCForum] Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina

I only know it wasn't me ("NY plates") so let's not start any rumors OK.
I've taken enough hits for this week!

Rob Grady

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 01:00:00 -0000
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: How to install steering knuckle?

Ok, the new rack is in...the steering column is in...how do I get that
steering knuckle to go onto the rack?  I have it connected to the
steering column, but I can't get it to connect down below.  Is there a
method to get this thing on?

Thanks for the help,
Erik

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 01:55:09 -0000
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Back to Future Delorean

Last weekend, I saw a Delorean decked out in full Back to Future parts
in the Escondido area.  He was turing left on to Mission Blvd. and was
at the same traffic light that I was at by Pine Tree Lumber.

I didn't know that one of these existed in the San Diego area so I
guess I learn something every day.  It looked to be quite detailed so
someone had gone through a significant amount of work to modify the car.

It did grab the attention of all around it so I guess it was a success
from that viewpoint.

Scot Stern

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 02:10:11 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Concerne about door adjustments? Why?

Just adjust your torsion bars a notch with the new Grady struts and
you will be amazed at the differnce.

Or don't and continue having soft doors. I'd hold on to the struts
until you can meet up with an individual or a group to have them
assist you in a torsion bar adjustment.

If you are in the PA area this weekend stop over Saturday to the
DCO/PA tech session and we will happily adjust your struts, the more
Deloreans the merrier.

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
&
16851

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 02:22:45 -0000
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: New here

HI everyone, im new here, my name is Stefan Diklich, im 16 and just
recently got a delroean, 1982 vin 10632 automatic. I love the car but
i am having problems with it. First of all, i apparently need to clean
the gas tank by hand (because the car was sitting for a year with gas
in it), how in the world do i go about doing this>? I know there is a
acess from underneath the car, but is this how i take the tank out? I
also think there is a problem with the choke beacuse the car goes from
almost shutting off to starting up, and it does it consistantly. I
hope i explained these few problems well enough for you to understand.
THanks

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:48:21 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Group,
I have stayed out of the debate for the struts on purpose waiting on the
dust to settle. But since it's winding down I will throw in my 2 cents.
Being in sales all my life and working with Rep's and factories, I went back
to Stabilus about 2 years ago and worked with their exclusive distributor in
the US to bring back the original door struts. There were other strut
manufactures around the US at that time that make similar products, but I
would rather have and I believe the De Lorean world would rather have the
original. Another popular strut manufacture at that time had RB in their
part number but I don't remember their name. I also didn't want to go to
Turkey or Japan as others did to have a cheaper strut built so I stuck with
the original. Yes, We pay a more for the Stabilus, but we also have the
number one quality German manufacture in the world overseeing the
manufacture of them.
I also agree with Rob on all the conditions that can change the lift of the
strut, but you won't find another manufacture that will be more consistence
in quality. Temperature and preload will be the deciding factors in your
lift.
So, if you purchase the Stabilus strut as I sell, you should be able to
change them out, adjust at the correct temperature and be consistence in the
years to come. I am working on a Damper strut also.
If you have any questions please call or email.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/Stabilus-catalog.jpg

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 23:03:16 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina

Michael and all...   Thank you for noticing.  We had to pull  off because it
was heating up due to the stop and go traffic.  They gotta  do something about
that RT40 during rush hour.  I bought the car in Florida  and after several
repairs we were able to make it home tonight around  10pm.  We had stayed at
some friends in Elizabethtown, NC.  Again,  thanks for noticing.

Roy  #0893

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 23:19:06 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

Most decent Drive-ins use FM modulators now a days.  I have a buddy who owns
the number 1 rated drive-in facility in the country and run his web site for
him.  We have had many discussions and a few keep some speakers out for
those who want the feeling of the old drive-in.

I have taken mine there several times, and have run the battery down each
time.  Remember we don't have an accessory option like new cars, and running
the "D" for 2+ hours in one place is not good either lol.

My opinion is either take another car, use the speaker, or take a boom box
and palace it on the parcel shelf for the duration of the movie.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 06:22:53 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

So you were 60 miles away and didn't contact me...

I highly recommend anyone travelling, especially in a DeLo of unknown
condition, to take advantage of the Owners' Directory:

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

Could be a life saver far from home.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 04:03:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Back to Future Delorean

Scot,

That was probably Scott Dorlaque in his 83 BTTF
DeLorean.  I've seen his car up at DeLorean in Orange
County and at the California Autofest last July in
Fontana, CA.  I spoke with Scott on Feb 1 at the BTTF
screening in Hollywood and he told me that he usually
takes his DeLorean into Escondido every weekend.  I
haven't seen his car in awhile and would like to see
it again sometime soon if possible.

-Chris

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:09:04 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Rob

We sourced ours armed with the knowledge that it is the same fit as one
for a Rover Metro, but that its temperature is different. We discovered
that although the Volvo 760 has a completely different switch, the
Renault 30 does in fact use the same one. If it's good enough for that
car, it's good enough for the DeLorean. You're right about the gauges,
they're all different but the fans always come on below the halfway mark

Martin