From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2628
Date: Thursday, May 19, 2005 3:44 PM

1. Re: Drive-In (DCS2006)
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

2. Re: How to install steering knuckle?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Car Show May 22 near San Diego, CA
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Proper Names
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: New here
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Gas Tank Filler Cap
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Upcoming British Car Shows
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Re: How to install steering knuckle?
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: Door Strut Debate and use of real names
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

10. RE: Re: Drive-In (DCS2006)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Re: Back to Future Delorean
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Proper Names
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

13. Re: New here
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Back to Future Delorean
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. RE: Cracked Windshield
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

16. RE: Door Struts Opinion
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:28:46 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: Re: Drive-In (DCS2006)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_o...> wrote:
> One of the "extra" events we are looking to host during or before
> the DCS 2006 event (maybe earlier in the week) is a Drive In nite
> at the local Cascade Drive In.  I'm not sure what it would take to
> run BTTF, but with Bob Gale there, maybe we can make it happen.

Rich:

I had checked the price on this for DCS-04.  The licensing fee in 2003
for a one-time showing of "Back to the Future" was $450.00.  I have the
contact info for Universal's licensing arm for this if you want, so
contact me off-list.

Thanks,

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:31:39 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: How to install steering knuckle?

I have to assume you are referring to the short shaft with the 2
u-joints on it that connects the steering column with the rack. You
have to remove the bolts in the u-joints so they can slide up and
down. Once installed you put the bolts back in and tighten them up.
You have to line up the steering wheel to the straight-ahead position
with the wheels straight. You might have to clean the splines up so
everything slides easily.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 05:38:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Car Show May 22 near San Diego, CA

Hello,

Sorry for the late notice, but there is going to be a
car show near San Diego (Valley Center, CA) this
coming Sunday May 22.  I will be attending with at
least one other DeLorean owner.  It would be nice to
have some more DeLoreans there as well.  ALso, anyone
who thinks they may attend the event who is interested
in caravaning there can email me.

Here it the information on the car show

Sunday May 22nd 10a.m. to 4 p.m.
Car show will be at
Valley Center Community Hall
28246 Lilac Road
Valley Center, CA

Doors open at 8a.m. for cars showing up at the event
to register in advance please contact
Ron McCowan at 760-749-8555 or  760-741-3331

-Chris

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 04:53:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Proper Names

I agree completely with Rob about the use of "real"
names.  Cute/clever email identifiers are fine, but
how about saying who you really are when you sign your
posts.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Yahoo! Mail

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:48:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: New here

It is all done from the top. Remove the spare tire and the curved
cover in the tire well. You will see a large round boot with a clamp
on it. The fuel pump is in there. Carefully remove it and set it aside
after disconecting the lower suction hose and the return hose to the
baffle. I recomend removing the baffle and all the parts inside. You
will need a 10mm wrench to remove the nut if it isn't too rotten. The
baffle has to be disassembled in the tank to remove it. You can stick
your arm in the tank (if you aren't too big) and wipe the tank out
easily. Inspect all of the parts and replace anything in questionable
condition. Work in a well ventilated area and use rubber gloves.
Acetone easily melts all the crud if it has hardened. Wipe out ALL
dirt. I also remove the sender unit for more room and to clean under
it as well. It is next to the fuel pump and is removed by loosening
the large ring. There is no choke. The fuel injection system adds fuel
in other ways. Clean out the tank and if you still have starting
problems we can troubleshoot it then. Most fuel system problems start
with contaminated or stale fuel so by cleaning out the tank and
putting fresh fuel in it might improve your starting problems. In the
meantime remove and slow charge the battery, have it load tested and
if it is good recharge it again slowly while you work on the tank. If
you are ordering any parts for the fuel tank get a Workshop Manual and
2 oil filters. One for now and another for next time. Also check ALL
of the fluid levels and the air pressure in the tires.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 14:03:25 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <sweetp01569_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Filler Cap

When you say it that way Warren, I can't resist it!

Thanks. It's probably the best way to go anyway, to make sure the
fit is right and that fumes will remain contained.

Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_u...>

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 14:03:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Upcoming British Car Shows

 Just a heads-up on 2 British car shows. One is in Oyster Bay Long
Island, New York on June 26 by the local Jaguar club. I did not have a
website or e-mail for this show but I guess you could find the Jaguar
Driver's Club of Long Island (JDCLI) website or if you contact me I
can give you a phone #. The other is in Hellertown, PA. June 12. For
this show you can e-mail rhorn_at_dml_hotmail.com This show is being
sponsored by the local MG club. Both adverise ALL British marques welcome.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 08:19:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: How to install steering knuckle?

Yes, i'm refering to the u-joints that connect the steering colum to the rack.  I am aware of the bolts and no, they are not in the way.  I understand how it needs to go on and connected,,,,i just can't get it connected.  The splines are good and clear.  There just isn't enough room to get it on the rack.  It almost seems like I have to come at it at an angle, but then the splines would get stripped.

I'll keep trying.
Erik

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 07:50:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Door Strut Debate and use of real names

I recently moved my door struts (purchased in 1999 from P.J. Grady)
from my now parts car to my daily driver Delorean (say that real fast),
 In the 20+ years I drove what is now my parts car, I never had to
adjust the torsion bars to get full rise.  Yet, when I moved the struts
to my current daily driver, I had to adjust the torsion bars on the
current car to get full rise.

My obvious conclusion is that the struts are not necessarily set the
same on all cars and to some degree there may be other minor variables
from door to door.  (Temperature was a fixed in my "experiment.")  I
would hope that any scientific comparison of different strut
manufacturers would be done with several torsion bars under varying
degrees of applied torque on a bench simulation and not on the car.
Until that is done, it will be difficult to draw any difinitive
conclusions about which strut is best and it may very well be that the
best strut for one car may not be the best for another.

On the subject of using real names:  IMHO, in today's world there are a
lot more reasons to preserve our last bits of privacy than there are
benefits to be gained from the use of real names on dmcnews.  If I do
an internet search for "Rob Grady," I'll get a list of every time his
name has appeared in text on the internet.  This puts a lot of
information into the hands of all kinds of people for whatever reasons
they choose.  There is probably not a day that goes by that someone is
not harmed financially or physically in this way.

One does not have to look beyond this site to find correspondence that
got heated and personal.  Who knows what an unstable person might do in
anger?

Obviously, there are situations where real names should be required by
the moderators or managers of a site.  Thus, Rob, if someone wants to
date your daughter, you should have their real name. :-)

I will continue to read the posts from both those who use their real
names and those who use a screen name or nickname, and I will continue
to use my nickname except for correspondence with those I know and
trust.

I will also continue to buy parts from Rob (a/k/a P.J. Grady) as I
greatly respect his/their knowledge of our cars and very much
appreciate all of his technical support.  (Plus, Debbie has a great
phone voice and is very knowledgable and helpful.)

Woody

p.s. Rob if you want a different nickname, how about "Pajamas"?

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:33:17 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Drive-In (DCS2006)

Stephen,
Was this fee simply for a public performance or was this the fee for the
film reels?
What media method were you considering?
- VB

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:35:49 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Back to Future Delorean

You can see a ton of pictures of Scott's car at http://www.bttfparts.com
He is also the guy who sells the working Time Circuits, and has worked
closely
with Danny Botkin at DMCGG on these.
His car is a part1 car, and the best I have ever seen.
- VB

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 07:55:41 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Proper Names

I agree with Dick Ryan.   I like last names too, but in Dick's case I think
AGE should be on there too!!
Murray Fisher Age 84
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC XII

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:05:49 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I had this problem once, my car sat for six years when I bought it.
What I did on the gas tank is I got a 5 gal. bucket and about three
or four old rags that I won't ever use again. I syphoined as much of
the old gas out as I could into the bucket and the rest I wiped out
with the rags. After I got all the old crummy stuff out I went in and
washed the inside of the tank with water and soap just to make sure I
got all the dirt off the bottom, better be safe than sorry. I took
the sending unit apart and cleaned it inside and out because the dirt
was making it stick.  I then got a rebuilt pump and all new lines and
a new filter. I wish I could say that mine runs great but money has
run out so it's still where it has been since I bought it.

Stefan, alot of people out there will tell you that they know how to
work on a DeLorean but when they tell the aluminum looks good, run
away from their advice. My advice is listen to the veteran DeLorean
guys that's what I do. I bet you get the same response that I did at
school from the guys. Thinking you're cool for having a DeLorean.
Yep, all the signatures in my senior yearbook talk about my car.
Congratulations on getting a DeLorean so early in life and take care
of it with a lot of TLC :)

Josh
10989

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:25:17 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Back to Future Delorean

Photos of Scott Dorlaque's car (including fairly recent ones) can be
seen in this thread:
http://www.bttfparts.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=325

You need to create a user and password for the site however, if you
haven't already.  Believe me, it's worth the couple of minutes it
takes to do so.

Scott continues to post all updated photos of his progess in that
thread.

-Derek L
VIN 5302

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Christopher Mack

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:04:57 -0400
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: Cracked Windshield

I bet we can keep this thread going another few weeks :-)

I also have a cracked windshield, in the same bottom left hand corner.
Luckily it is about 3 inches in and 3 inches up in a perfect round
circle. So for the most it is hidden in the black, and I never see it
unless I am outside the car.

I'm not sure if stress caused it, however after reading the posts it
would appear this is a particularly vulnerable spot.  I know the frame
and epoxy is structurally sound.

I cant justify buying a new windshield at this point for such a small
crack, so when anybody notices, I tell them it was caused during the
filming when the hit the barn :-)  And some people actually believe me
as they have never seen a DeLorean.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:34:36 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: RE: Door Struts Opinion

I have a set of the PJGrady door struts which I purchased almost 3 years ago
and they work fine with full lift, even with the added weight of my actuator
driven door launchers.

Dē & 6530 (Dave Delman)

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 14:08:04 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina

Bill... I'm sorry as I did have my list with but this  was simply a  case of
overheating.  Simply had to wait about half an hour until the stop  and go
cleared and then hit the road again.  I noticed that the sensor for  the hot
coolant is hanging down on the pipe.  Should that be like that or  should it be on
top of the pipe.  I noticed some coolant coming from around  the item and it
seems to me that the wires should be on top and not the  bottom.  It looks
like a simple rotation of the pipe.

Roy   #0893

In a message dated 5/19/2005 10:06:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net writes:

So you  were 60 miles away and didn't contact me...

I highly recommend anyone  travelling, especially in a DeLo of unknown
condition, to take advantage of  the Owners'  Directory:

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

Could be a life  saver far from home.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:20:48 -0500
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Roy,

It should be on the bottom. The early cars had it on top but subsequent cars
had it installed on the bottom. if there is any air in the system it will be
at the top of the pipe and then the switch won't work.

Bruce Benson