From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2629
Date: Friday, May 20, 2005 5:17 PM

1. RE: Door Strut Debate and use of real names
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Re: Drive-In
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

3. Re: Proper Names
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Back to Future Delorean
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: Door Strut Debate and use of real names
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: Drive-In
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Proper Names
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: Cracked Windshield
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Proper Names
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Upcoming British Car Shows
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. RE: Door Strut Debate and use of real names
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Water thermostat
From: "gerald_l_alldredge" <1stAirCavalry_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: Proper Names & Door Struts
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

15. Re: inspection exemption. was: Gas Tank Filler Cap
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Modern BBS Format for DML
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: Drive-In (DCS2006)
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

18. Just installed new water pump
From: "deepdmc" <deepdmc12_at_dml_cfl.rr.com>

19. RE: Upcoming British Car Shows
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

20. Re: Back to Future Delorean
From: "bk2d80s" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: New here
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. Re: Re: Drive-In
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Re: Proper Names
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. RE: Door Strut Debate and use of real names
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:02:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Door Strut Debate and use of real names

For those of you who do not believe "real neames"
should be used, I'd like to suggest that, at a
minimum,  any post that is critical of another owner
or critcal of a vendor's product should be "signed".

In a civilized society, courtesy and ethics are just
as important as privacy.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:51:52 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Drive-In

There's a theater based in Austin that has a film projector mounted in a
large truck, and an inflatable screen.  They showed BTTF in a local park
but I couldn't make it with my DeLorean...too bad, I would have been quite
popular.

Last year I saw "Open Waters" this way, although the screen was mounted on
the shore of Lake Travis so you could only see the movie by floating in
the water.

     http://www.originalalamo.com/rrs

Care to see "Close Encounters" at Devil's Tower, Wyoming?

Gus Schlachter           <---actual name
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:28:51 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Proper Names

If we moved over to a modern forum format,
we could enjoy using profiles that will keep track of personal information,
there are also "reputation" meters that work like ebay's feedback system.
(this might not be good for me :>)
A modern forum would allow to use private messaging, the ability to show
photos and share media files, run polls on threads, watch particular threads
and so much more.....
It needs to be done eventually.

The way I look at it is, there are only a few thousand active owners out
there,
and out of that only a few hundred who are active via the internet.
There is no reason to exorcise anonymity here, we all know each other
and all get to actually meet one another in person at events and we should
all treat each other as known friends - because we are.
I think this disclosure might bring forth more respect for one another on
the forum.
Just a thought.

- Videobob
PS: For those that don't know, "Videobob" is the actual name I go by in real
life,
and professionally. Only family and close friends know me by "Robert
Moseley",
but they call me "Video" or "Bob" usually.
I wanted to point that out so that you know I am not hiding behind a nick
name.
Check the IMDB for "Videobob".

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 22:25:22 -0000
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Back to Future Delorean

I think that this was the car that I saw this Saturday in
the "didtow" (Escondido.  While I have no real interest in modifing
my car to look like this I admire his hard work.  It did turn heads
more than a stock DMC.

Scot Stern
6452

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 22:56:33 -0000
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

I posted twice concerning struts and I have no reason not to give my
name.  My name is Scot Stern, I own 6452.  The car has approximately
12,200 miles on it and I bought my last set of struts from P.J.
Grady.

I need new ones now as they only open about half way and before, they
did go all the way up.  Rob explained, in one of his posts, that he
now has a new vendor and that makes me feel better. I would see no
point in buying the same struts as my originals and expecting any
other conclusion than what I have experienced now.

Personally, I think that the discussion is less than valid as it
would appear that each car has different variables based upon
adjustments of the torsion bars and the actual weight of the door.

In addition, I am also willing to bet that no two struts, even form
the same batch, perform the same and, therefore, it would appear that
all of them are a crap shoot.

The temperature controlled units seem interesting but I really don't
have extreme temperature variances in San Diego.  I tried to call one
vendor, during normal business hours, and all I got was an answering
machine and a message that said they would try to call me back within
a day or two.  If it is that difficult to buy then how would I obtain
service information if I had a problem?

All in all, most of the vendors offer good products and even better
advice.  It will boil down to a matter of convenience and price as no
one seems to have a clear-cut advantage.

I am not ashamed to use my name and I was certainly not trying to
hide in any way.  My direct email address is scotstern_at_dml_aol.com.
Simple and open……the way I would like my doors to operate.

Scot Stern
6452

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:25:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Drive-In

There was an article in the New York Times not very long ago about
people that set up a movie in parking lots or against buildings for
the neigborhood. A real hit-and-run kind of operation. With the
equipment you can buy rather cheaply now even an amateur can create a
good show. Broadcast on a low power FM transmitter and everyone can
watch. Usually set up from a pick-up and coordinated over the
Internet. There are websites for these things.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> There's a theater based in Austin that has a film projector mounted
in a
> large truck, and an inflatable screen.  They showed BTTF in a local
pa-text portions of this message have been removed]

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:20:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Broken Down DeLorean in North Carolina

If you have a coolant leak around the otterstadt switch (that is the
coolant sensor thingy that is stuck into the bottom of the pipe with
the wires coming out of it) it could be that the switch has a split in
it. I have seen where the case of the switch cracks and then does not
seal properly anymore. If you replace the switch you should also
replace the special seal it goes into. NEVER use silicon on it. Don't
ask me how I know, just take my word for it! You must either have the
springy metal clip or use a strap tie so it won't blow out when the
system is under pressure.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 18:57:37 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

I am happy with just one name. I prefer a modicum of anonymity, though
slight and easy to wash away as it is.

I usually addit but sometimes forget. Both to post it and what it is.
I recently added a signature but it appears waaay at the bottom of the
included text.
-Kevin C.
rolled 40,000 miles today. Happy tears of sadness. Sniff.

On 5/19/05, Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree completely with Rob about the use of "real"
> names.  Cute/clever email identifiers are fine, but
> how about saying who you really are when you sign your
> posts.
>
> Dick Ryan
> VIN 16867
>

> Yahoo! Mail

-Kevin

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:28:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Cracked Windshield

You might want to consider having it "repaired" so it doesn't spread.
They do not always continue in the same direction, the crack can turn
and go right across.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> I bet we can keep this thread going another few weeks :-)
>
> I also have a cracked windshield, in the same bottom left hand cor!
Groups Links

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:44:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Bob is correct!  Geez, did I really say that :).

I belong to the VW forum on the Samba.  It is
moderated, but you wouldn't believe so because it is
so "open".  BUT, there are a number of unethical and
unacceptable types of activity that can get you
banned.

No problem using a nickname, because your profile is
known to others.  Even private emails that are flames
or scams can get you banned.

It is a great forum and so loose and fun you'd never
know there was a moderator.

To those who want privacy,  I respect that.  But
anonimity should come with caveats.  In other words,
abuse it and you lose it.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

My last 2˘ on this subject.

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:45:57 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Upcoming British Car Shows

Also, there is British Car Day at the Museum of Transportation in
Brookline, MA on Sunday, June 26th.  I'll most likely be there.

http://mot.org/Events/lawn.html

I've taken my car there several years in the past, and it's always a hit.

-Hank

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:10:43 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Scot, Thanks for reposting. Your message get back to what I was saying about
Stabilus as Rob and I sell. The original manufacture and more than likely
the consistency of the same manufacturing processing. At least you have the
feeling that a re adjustment will be good. Also, Stabilus builds in a very
small amount of damper oil in almost all struts, but the ones I'm working on
are very much that way.
For the vendor comment, I don't have a recording ( back in 2 or 3 day's ) if
I'm not here to leave a message and I will get back to you. I also have
hours of 9am to 9pm 7/7, but leave a message if not here.
Home of the original
De Lorean struts.

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 04:27:23 -0000
From: "gerald_l_alldredge" <1stAirCavalry_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Water thermostat

Need to know what make and model water thermostat for 1983 DeLorean

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 00:33:17 -0400
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Proper Names & Door Struts

OK, Here is a suggestion that might make everyone happy... How about any
name you feel like and your vin (assuming you are an owner) after it. Most
of us do it that way anyways and non owners are unlikely to have any vendor
issues. When I bought #2700 it came with an extra set of door struts. It
actually had one DMCH and one Grady on it. In my personal experience the
Grady struts seemed to have a bit more power to them and the DMCH struts
were smoother opening. With the launchers on the car I purchased a new set
of Grady struts and the car actually shook when they opened for about the
first week or two and then mellowed out to be about the same as the DMCH
struts. Temperature seems to make the biggest difference and they do open
allot weaker when it is cold. I am still waiting to experience my first
Florida summer with them. Personally I would take either vendors struts
equally. Most of the work on my car was done at Grady by the PO and that is
why I bought Grady replacements. Now that Tony and DMCF is only an hour away
I am sure that the next set if and when needed will come from there, I
really can't see all the hubbub about door struts. Maybe we could get Steve
and Rob to commission a scientific evaluation, a few million dollars and we
could make sure every last detail would be identical.. I really don't want
or need $1000 door struts..

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 01:01:39 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: inspection exemption. was: Gas Tank Filler Cap

In a message dated 5/18/2005 1:12:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

In
New Jersey they try to test them when the car is inspected and  there is
no adapter that properly fits them so Deloreans are  officially
exempted from that test.

Yes... used to drive my local place crazy. Now I have my triangular
inspection sticker and don't need to hassle with that. Anyone else in NJ going  that
route?

Wayne A. Ernst
11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 02:33:35 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Modern BBS Format for DML

Re: Private messaging:

A particularly irritating quirk for those of us who read the List via
Yahoo is Yahoo's truncation of eMail addresses after the _at_dml_ character.
Without a domain, it's impossible to correspond directly. Truncated
addresses are clickable, but replies are sent to the moderator, not
individuals in question.

That's why the _at_dml_ character should be represented some other way in
posts seeking off List contact (for example:
brobertson(at)carolina.net) -- won't be truncated by Yahoo.

Guess the age... (hint: I may look 18 but am actually a little bit older)

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:27:08 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: Re: Drive-In (DCS2006)

> Stephen,
> Was this fee simply for a public performance or was this the fee for
> the film reels? What media method were you considering?
> - VB

That was just for the public showing. It did not include any rented
media or equipment.

-- Stephen

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:05:16 -0000
From: "deepdmc" <deepdmc12_at_dml_cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Just installed new water pump

I just finished installing a new water pump, wow what a pain in the
rear end. It took me three full days. I ended up breaking two of the
intake manifold bolts, it took me two days just to remove them. I
tried using an easy out but broke the easy out so I had to drill
through the easy out. After two days and 14 drill bits later I finaly
got those suckers out. One of the vacuum lines coming out of the
pontoon came loose so I had to pull off the cover to the charcoal
canister. While I was in there I noticed something strange. The large
hose coming off the top of the canister had a bolt stuck in it to plug
the line up. Does any one know what this line goes to and why would it
have been disconnected in the first place?

Justin Alivandi

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:28:02 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

Since the subject was brought up, there's also a British car show in
Dixon, CA (Northern) on Sunday the 22nd. I'll be there with at least 2
other DeLoreans. This is a great way to see a few hundred cars from
across the pond all in one place:
http://www.ubscc.org

Ken
=============================================================================================================Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:16:55 -0000
From: "bk2d80s" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Ya that would definitly be my car.. It lives in Escondido. I do a
lot of work on it on Enterprise off Mission. Just a bout a block
away from pine tree lumber.
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
-Scott

http://www.bttfparts.com

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:26:30 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New here

My car had a "choke" installed by the PO to get it to cold start by
manually activating the cold start valve with a push button....
thankfully, their hack was easily reversable after figuring out the
culprit:  The Control Pressure / Warm Up Regulator.  This tech article
describes the diagnosis and fix:
http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/controlpressreg.htm

If you have difficult cold start, but once warm, it runs fine and
restarts fine, this could be the culprit, and it's a quick, cheap fix.
 (you'll need to get replacement copper washers in advance though)

--Greg

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:40:25 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Right, they're also illegal.

-Ryan

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:59:26 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

( Moderators comment: This seems to be an unending thing. There are those that put a name on their posts and those that don't. We have no way of knowing if signed posts are using a real name or not. Regardless, while irritating to some, it's a fact of life here on the list and I think the subject has had enough exposure so I'm killing the thread.
Bruce Benson, current moderator.)

I use my real identity here on the DML.  However, I do not advocate
enforcement of such...

Sure, we may have no reason to hide our identities from *each other*,
but some people simply do not believe in using their real-life
identity online *exposed to the whole world*, for arguably good
reasons.  I'm just going to throw out a hypothetical example:

Let's say we have a user who goes by "Stainless4Ever" and never posts
his or her real name, because Stainless4Ever happens to be the online
identity used by Famous Celebrity, who does not want tabloids knowing
he's going to they XYZ carshow next month and hounding him.   Or
perhaps Stainless4Ever had a nasty divorce and doesn't want her
jealous ex-husband to know about her new car and the places she's
going, etc...  I could go on and on, but hopefully this triggers some
thoughts on why anonymity holds a lot of value for some people, not
necessarily with shady intent.  Some people are just aware of how easy
it is to gather up a large amount of info on a person online and are
doing what they can to make it more difficult.

--Greg

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:37:10 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Hi Dick,

Once again you hit the nail on the head. It's good to be old and wise! It's
even better to be young and wise but that's a bit of an oxymoron. Even Video
Bob is on my side on this! In a court of law you have the right to face your
accuser but on the internet you can say whatever you want and hide behind a
moniker. To say you're concerned for your privacy is ridicules. How do I
know these posts were not from a competitor to undermine our products? I'm
sure these are legitimate posts but if these people had a business and their
products were unfairly (IMHO) critiqued I'll bet they would want to know by
whom? Treat people the way YOU would want to be treated. None of these
individuals, as far as I can tell without a name, has contacted me with
their concerns. I'm a little annoyed that a lift piston design that I sold
successfully for twenty two years is suddenly proclaimed as inferior by
three relative newcomers. The only valid comparison test (Completed by the
very methodical Rich Gendreau in 2002) rated ours and Hervey's (he was
buying them from us at the time) rather highly but there was no clear-cut
winner. I have his report if anyone is interested. I still think these are
the best overall struts but stopped using them for the reasons stated
previously. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but identifying
yourself would be the polite thing to do.

Rob Grady