From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2630
Date: Saturday, May 21, 2005 2:33 PM

1. Re: inspection exemption. was: Gas Tank Filler Cap
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Vac Hose was Re: Just installed new water pump
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. RE: Just installed new water pump
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Just installed new water pump
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: New here
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

6. Re: Just installed new water pump
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. BTTF Exhaust
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: New here (Choke Plates)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Re: Proper Names & Door Struts
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

10. Re: Drive-In
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Engine cover
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Charge for Phone Time?
From: "Matthew David" <DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: DeLorean Advertising Request (NJ area)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

14. emergency brake question
From: "William Bladorn" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

15. Re: Vapor Canister Hoses (Purge Line)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. Re: Charge for Phone Time?
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Re: BTTF Exhaust
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Just installed new water pump
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 18:19:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: inspection exemption. was: Gas Tank Filler Cap

I have since applied for and received the "collector's" registration
with the triangular sticker. Before that I was able to "opt out" of
the dyno. There is an exemtion in New Jersey that if you put less then
10,000 mile in 2 years on a car you can ask to be exempted from the
dyno. You have to get inspected at least once so they have a record of
the car's mileage in the computer. After that you no longer have the
dyno if you use it less than the 10,000 miles. They don't advertise
this, you have to know to ask for it. Soon we will be able to get QQ
plates as historic. The registration is a lot cheaper and there is no
inspection requirement. Every State has different rules so you have to
educate yourself about the State you live in.

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 19:08:14 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Vac Hose was Re: Just installed new water pump

There is one (the largest one on the top) opening on the cannister that
normally has a rubber cap over it. On every car I've seen the cap is
dried out and/or falling off. This sounds like a common way to make a
new cap. In other words, its OK.

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:26:54 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Just installed new water pump

Here's a question to the group: Has anyone *ever* had success with an
"easy-out"????

I ask that with tongue in cheek, of course. In fact, I HAVE occasionally had
success with them, but it is usually a NEXT-to-last resort, with the LAST
resort usually being drilling/grinding/blasting the broken easy-out along
with the remains of the brokem bolt itself. Wheoever named those things
"easy-outs" should be shot!  ;)

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:13:28 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

I remember looking for vacuum leaks and finding a disintegrating
vacuum cap on an extra port of the charcoal canister.  I believe this
port was for a carburetor in other systems.  It also turned out to be
my biggest vacuum leak.  I'm not sure if that's what you're describing
though...  this was on the canister itself.

--Greg

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:33:18 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: Re: New here

Hi Stefan,

Have you installed a new fuel filter?  It sounds like you could use a
new one anyway and if your current fuel filter is spent, it could
cause hard starting problems similar (or perhaps identical) to what
you've described (sputtering, almost dying, then roaring to life).

Travis Graham
#06344

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 18:35:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4 hoses go to the vapor cannister. There is one from the center of the
bottom. There is a small hose that goes to the underside of the
mixture unit that tells the vapor cannister that the motor is running.
There is a slightly larger hose that connects to the vapor line to the
gas tank and there is the large vacuum hose that goes across the front
of the motor and tee's into the vacuum line to the brake booster. It
is the large one that is used to purge the cannister of vapors by the
engine vacuum (when the engine is running as signaled by the little
vac hose). It should be connected but if the cannister is not
functioning properly and leaking vacuum then it should be fixed before
reattaching.

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 20:32:43 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: BTTF Exhaust

I don't know if anyone has ever asked this before but eventually I
would like to put exhaust on my DeLorean to sound if not like but close
to the BTTF Delorean with that rumble it does.  Is it possible to put
in a small Flowmaster and bring it out into the dual exhaust?

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:12:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: New here (Choke Plates)

Actually, a choke is a restrictive plate that physically prevents air
from entering the engine (kind of like a throttle plate). You find
them on carburetors, not fuel injection, because of the way
carburetors work. Their purpose is to keep manifold pressure higher
than normal even as the throttle plates open so that more fuel than
normal is pulled into the engine. Fuel injection accomplishes the same
thing by spraying more fuel than normal through the injectors.

On K Jetronic, this is done via the CPR (Warm Up Regulator). Cold,
throttle plate movement, which correspondingly lowers the air sensor
plate/raises the metering piston, results in richer than normal fuel
metering through reduced counter pressure. As the engine warms up, the
CPR increases counter pressure, bringing fuel metering closer to normal.

The only purpose of the cold start injector is to provide a momentary
shot of extra fuel during the cranking process. Once started, it has
absolutely no effect on the engine (is no longer spraying). It's
function is actually equivalent to pumping an accelerator pedal
attached to a carburetor (squirting fuel from the accelerator pump),
not a choke plate.

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 18:23:02 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Proper Names & Door Struts

I was away on business this week and was unable to fiddle with the torsion
bar adjustments. I did however have the chance to catch up on the strut
issue today. Man, you guys are worse than a bunch of old ladies in a sewing
circle. I make an honest comment and everyone thinks there is a conspiracy
against the vendors! Rob,I did not reply because, like you, I have a
business to run and the DML isn't a big priority. (I like it but I don't
live for it.) I am not "mad" at you. On the contrary, I admire you, John
Hervey and the rest of the independent vendors. (I buy tons of parts from
all of you every year!)  I'm going to take your last advice and re-adjust my
bars this weekend and I'll let you know what happens. I'm sure it will turn
out fine. I don't profess to be a Delorean expert but I do my best.  As for
this name thing, some of us just simply prefer to remain relatively
anonymous. It's just the way it is, like it or not and it is our right to do
so unless the DML rules have changed since I joined. We don't do it because
we want to strike from the shadows at people. Some of us just don't feel
comfortable giving out that information in a public forum. I do however,
ALWAYS sign my Vin number. With regard to the Delorean community, the VIN is
a consistent identifier and should be sufficient for the purpose of
identifying me as a legitimate owner and should also serve to identify me to
the vendors I patronize.  By the way, that's what "screen-names" were
designed to do;  protect the privacy of the individual. Please don't hold
this against those of us who prefer to remain anonymous.
Rustproof
Vin #1559

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:26:19 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Drive-In

Weren't these guys called "blanks" in the Max Headroom
series? "Blanks" also had no credit card number attached to their
name if I remember correctly. Maybe this comment belongs in the Real
Name Thread! Some folks just want to be "blanks".

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 23:35:40 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Engine cover

Hello.. I've run into a problem with the hatch (screen) cover on the
motor.  It takes two people to open it.  One pulls the cable and the
other lifts the cover.  It seems to me that it should be spring
loaded.  The same is true for the front, but it only requires one to
pull the handle and lift the cover.  Thanks

Roy VIN#0893

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 23:38:06 +0000
From: "Matthew David" <DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Charge for Phone Time?

<<From: "dmcgreece" <dmcgreece_at_dml_...>
<<Date: Tue May 17, 2005  9:06 pm
<<Subject: my 2 cents on the door strut debate  dmcgreece

<<Please allow me to preface my opinion by stating that I have found
<<Rob Grady to be the most knowledgeable of any of the vendors and he
<<is always willing to offer his advice. DMCH has been helpful
<<especially with the very hard to find items but those who I have
<<spoken to have often misdagnosed the problem. However everyone who I
<<have spoken to at DMCH has been very cordial. John Hervey will offer
<<advice but at a cost as I still can't get over the fact that he
<<charged me $12 and change for phone time after I purchased over $300
<<worth of merchandise from him. No joke!!!

I haven't seen anything said about the above statement so I thought since it
was mentioned on the list I would bring it up. Is John Hervey charging for
phone time? I am not disagreeing I just think that if he is he should be a
little more upfront about it when he says "call me" and gives a timeframe.

Not trying to start anything,

Matthew Cooley (my real name!)

Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 01:01:39 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Advertising Request (NJ area)

List,

Passing along this request received through a local DMC club member.
Anyone who would like to help out Ashley, feel free to email her at
the enclosed email address. (request sent to a DMC website owner)

From: Ashley Sobeck

Hi,

I was curious to know if you knew where I could possibly rent a
DeLorean for
a few days this summer. My name is Ashley and I work for BrandStreet
Advertising in Montclair, NJ. We are looking to rent one for an
event for a
client in the mid-summer. Can you let me know if this is something
you know
about or if possible send me information to get in touch with
someone who
does.

Thank you in advance for your time,
Ashley

asobeck (at) brandstreetllc.com

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 20:54:52 -0500
From: "William Bladorn" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: emergency brake question

I have a question about the emergency brake pads.  Is there supposed to be
one on each side of the caliper or is there supposed to be two on each side?
(ie 4 pads in all)  I was looking in the manual and it only shows two, but I
didn't know if that meant per side or total.

Thanks,

Duke Bladorn
Mobile, Al.
Age 34
Married
1 wife
Maria
3 kids
Ethan 2, Tori 11, Tiffani 8

Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 06:24:01 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Vapor Canister Hoses (Purge Line)

Actually that line is ported by the throttle plates. Does not receive
vacuum until they open, which of course means you could use it to
drive spark advance in lieu of the solenoid/manifold vacuum line
(that's how Volvo did it for F series in the 1970's).

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:47:02 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Charge for Phone Time?

John has never charged me for phone time. I have to admit, I have not
spent hours on the phone with him, but I know I've asked him questions
and he's always given me advice without asking for a cent.

Grady, DMCH and especially Toby Peterson have also been wonderful
about helping me out over the phone.

-Ryan

Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 03:08:53 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: BTTF Exhaust

jeepno1_397:

I have been down that road, as several of us on this list.   I had spent a
good bundle for the Flowmater muffler plus all the pipes and labor.   I had it
all removed in two months time and replaced the original system back on.   The
situation is that the Flowmaster muffler is very noisy and the droning sound
pressure that it creates is very taxing, especially on long drives.    If you
like noise and the droning pressure in the cabin, then go for it.   BTW.... You
would have to make, or adapt all kind of different pipes to get the muffler
to be connected to the existing exhaust system.   IMO, it is not worth the bang
for the bucks.   FWIW.... I have the Stainless System from England on my
DeLorean for a while.... Expensive, but it is worth it.

Kayo
Lic   9D NY

Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 08:36:35 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Had the same condition on my son's car, the cap on his car was barely
hanging together. That may be a common problem that someone will run into as
well. Its easy to check.

-Joe Kuchan