From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2632
Date: Monday, May 23, 2005 11:45 AM

1. Re: Charge for Phone Time?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. AC went "POOF!"
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Oxygen Sensor
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

4. Spring PADMC Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session
From: "beatlesra1" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: Charge for Phone Time?
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

6. Re: Re: Charge for Phone Time?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

7. Re: AC went "POOF!"
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: BTTF Exhaust (PRV Exhaust options)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Re: Oxygen Sensor
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: AC went "POOF!"
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Oxygen Sensor
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

12. DIY Vacu-forming
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

13. *Thank You * Spring Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session
From: Daniel Plakosh <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. RE: Re: AC went "POOF!"
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Headed to Coloreado
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

16. Re: BTTF Exhaust
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. PA tech session
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Charge for Phone Time?
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

19. Funny DeLorean Stories
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

20. Re: Re: BTTF Exhaust
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session makes front page news!
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Cardboard DeLorean
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. CA owner in Yosemite?
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

24. Re: AC went "POOF!"
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Cardboard DeLorean
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:00:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Charge for Phone Time?

Somehow a vender has to cover the cost of the phone call AND THE TIME
SPENT!!!. The cost of the call itself is nothing compared to his TIME.
If he doesn't get it on the parts I guess John's way of getting it is
a separate charge. I see nothing wrong with that but he should have
warned you about it up front. Maybe what you considered sales pitch
was essential information provided by a vender. If you want something
free then you have it RIGHT HERE!

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:03:10 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: AC went "POOF!"

I was driving my car to a local car show yesterday,
I hadn't driven it for about a week,
it was about 100F and I had the AC pumping full.
I was sitting at a stop sign about a block away from my house,
(the car had been running only a few minutes)
and there was this loud discharge from the engine, like something
pressurized had popped,
I could see a spray of smoke in the rear view mirror coming from
under the engine lid.
I quickly turned the car off.
The car was not over heating, or had even warmed up yet.
I guessed that I had blown a water hose, but there was no water!
No oil, no grease, or no sign that any thing was discharged.
There were no holes, busted hoses or anything visibly wrong.

I cranked the car back up and it started and ran just fine....
...except no AC!
The fan was going but the compressor would not kick in.
So I must assume that the explosion was my R12 shooting into space.
The problem is, I can not figure out from where, or why?

Does anyone here know what happened and what I need to do to fix it?
Should I take it to a Volvo dealer, or someone that deals with older
Euro cars and what parts should I refer to as far as compressors and
hoses? Is this standard stuff they will recognize?

Thanks for the help.

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 18:10:40 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Oxygen Sensor

    Hello All,
                   While replacing my fuel filter today I thought I might
go ahead and try and tackle the oxygen sensor AGAIN!  Does any-
one have any tips or tricks to get this thing out? I have tried an
oxygen sensor socket but there isn't enough room to get the socket
wrench on it when I get the socket on. I have also tried a 7/8 wrench
but I can't get on it enough due to the axle. Any other ideas? Would
it be easier to drill and tap a new spot to put the new sensor? It seemed
like a fairly easy job to do. It may also be the original one to so that
might mean that it has welded itself in pretty good by now. If anyone
has any tip or tricks I would appreciate it.

                                 Thanks in advance..........Jason    #5903

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:41:57 -0000
From: "beatlesra1" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Spring PADMC Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session

My first Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session is over..What a wonderful time
we all had AND what a wonderful bunch of people! We had everything,
expert DeLorean mechanics, great food, great weather and a even a
reporter from a local newspaper who put the Tech Session on the front
page of Sunday's paper complete with pictures!

I learned so much about replacing things on the car from recovering
seats to cleaning fuel injectors, adjusting torsion bars to replacing
the front fascia (Sorry Joe!:P ) Thanks so much to the excellent
experts on hand.

Thank You Dave, Juley, Dan, Judy and Chloe for the wonderful
hospitality!!! Also thanks to all of you who worked on my car!

Chuck Darling
Vin# 6125
D.C.O Since 2001

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:50:12 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

I'm kind of surprised.  I know that I've spent some time on the phone
with John and was never charged a dime.  Then again, I've probably
spent over $1000 over the past few months on stuff from him.  This was
due in a large part to his willingness to get me Eagle Premier/Dodge
Monaco engine parts.  I wonder how many Chevy dealers would sell me
Ford parts?

Anyway, I'm curious what the actual length of the phone call was that
he charged you for.  Another thing is that I know John has commented
to me before that a lot of people call his "hot calls" number when
they don't have an emergency.  I could understand the man charging for
phone calls if it was to his "hot calls" number, and it was while he
was on vacation or having dinner.

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 19:41:10 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Charge for Phone Time?

I have also talked to him for about 45 minuets at the longest with no
charge but i was also spending money with him each call, i also called
him if that matters.

I have talked to all of the vendors with no phone charge from any one
of them. The only vendor i haven't talked to was Delorean One but that
is a whole different story.

Mark V

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 01:03:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: AC went "POOF!"

You blew a hose or a seal. The most likely thing is the discharge hose
that goes from the compressor to the condensor core. You will have to
go to an A/C shop and they will pressure test it to find the leak.
After repairing the leak (whatever it is) they should replace the
dryer/accumulater, the orifice tube, and the service valves. The oil
level should be measured and changed. The system should again be
pressure tested with a "sweep charge", evacuated to a hard vacuum for
at least 1/2 hour and then refilled with R-12. It should be tested for
performance and the low pressure switch adjusted. As you can see, this
is not for a "garage mechanic" as it is unlikely you would have the
proper tools. If you cannot get R-12 get another "Drop-In" replacement
like R-414a. Do not let the shop talk you into R-134.

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 01:44:12 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: BTTF Exhaust (PRV Exhaust options)

Plenty of PRV exhaust options:

If emissions testing is not an issue, you can simply hollow out the
catalytic converter. Increases exhaust sound somewhat.

Of course professionally bent systems are available from DMC Houston
or DMC UK (actually I think Martin is just a contact person).
Catalytic converters are available for each, but remember they act
like additional mufflers as far as sound is concerned.

Martin can also get his hands on a catalytic converter replacement
pipe, which may increase sound but will lack the resonating chamber
effect of a hollowed out converter.

Home brewed exhaust systems are cheap and limited only by your
imagination (and perhaps emissions regulations). See the pics of my
dual setup in #5939's photo album. Noticeably louder than stock. Total
cost: $150.

Jeff Friday also has home brewed exhaust, though he did retain the
factory crossover pipe. Uses a *SINGLE* chamber muffler -- much louder
than stock.

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 01:12:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor

If you have to, it is not that big a deal to remove the half shaft
(axle) to improve access. That is not the real problem. The real
problem is the O2 sensor can be difficult to remove having been
attached for a long time and being part of the exhaust system with
it's temperature extremes and all of the temperature cycling it is
subjected to. To make it easier to remove I use an acetalyne torch and
heat up the nut it is screwed into before attempting to remove it. You
can also cut the wire off and try using a regular socket or a box
wrench. When replacing I use Never-Seize on the threads, just be
careful to put it ONLY on the threads, not the probe.

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:14:36 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

Mine did this too about two years ago (this fall).
One of those 24-year old hoses had rubbed a weakness. It was around
the point where they bend and begin the descent to run up the frame.
It was also about 100F that day.
Steve W. calmed me down when I called in the the problem, told me I
could drive it.
Order new hoses or have a local shop build them for you.
Now that it's exposed to the atmosphere you probably should do some of
the other components, and maybe even go to 134a.

Cool driving.
-Kevin
4687

On 5/22/05, Robert Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I was driving my car to a local car show yesterday,
> I hadn't driven it for about a week,
> it was about 100F and I had the AC pumping full.
> I was sitting at a stop sign about a block away from my house,
> (the car had been running only a few minutes)
> and there was this loud discharge from the engine, like something
> pressurized had popped,
> I could see a spray of smoke in the rear view mirror coming from
> under the engine lid.
> I quickly turned the car off.
> The car was not over heating, or had even warmed up yet.
> I guessed that I had blown a water hose, but there was no water!
> No oil, no grease, or no sign that any thing was discharged.
> There were no holes, busted hoses or anything visibly wrong.
>
> I cranked the car back up and it started and ran just fine....
> ...except no AC!
> The fan was going but the compressor would not kick in.
> So I must assume that the explosion was my R12 shooting into space.
> The problem is, I can not figure out from where, or why?
>
> Does anyone here know what happened and what I need to do to fix it?
> Should I take it to a Volvo dealer, or someone that deals with older
> Euro cars and what parts should I refer to as far as compressors and
> hoses? Is this standard stuff they will recognize?
>
> Thanks for the help.
> - Videobob

-Kevin

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 19:32:49 -0700
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

Jason --
Just went thru that, drop that half shaft axle (transmission end) and tie it
up out of the way, don't let it hang down, then use a 22mm end wrench and
pull like hell on it, it will come out. Having the axle out of the way gives
a lot more room to work and saves some skinned knuckles.
Lloyd--#3502

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 03:46:32 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: DIY Vacu-forming

Stumbled across this. Thought it might be helpful with the recent
discussion of vacuum forming the RC housing.
http://tinyurl.com/74pjh
Stephen

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:14:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Daniel Plakosh <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: *Thank You * Spring Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session

All,

We'd like to thank all who attended the Pittsburgh Tech Session this past Saturday.  We had a great time and enjoyed all of you once again.  It was great to meet all our "new" friends and wonderful to visit with all of you who have become "old" friends.  It's rare to find such a large group of people in one place that you could say you are happy to have in your home.  But that's what we have found in all our Delorean friends that we have met these past 2 years.
We hope you all had a good time and arrived safely home.

Dave, Juley, Dan and Judy
(Vin 5927)   (Vin 3872)

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 00:16:27 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: AC went "POOF!"

Thanks David, I appreciate the advice.
I have actually gotten several informative and helpful emails from several
people
that I think will be helpful.
It sounds like this is going to be fairly expensive!
I think I will replace everything that can be replaced if I need too.
All of the stuff on my car is stock and I am wearing it out.
Any car this age would be having these problems I guess.
The Texas days are hitting over 100F and stressing the system out.

I have Hervey's replacement fans installed and I was the first to have them.
They worked OK as a replacement but I feel that they are not as powerful
as the originals.
I am looking into installing some custom electronic fans I have seen some
hot-rod
guys using that have some high air flow.
Another issue I need to remedy is that when I re-installed my radiator after
my wreck is that I did not re-install the shroud because I could not get it
to fit.
Some of the brackets were bent, so I got it as close as I could and left it.
I noticed that there was a significant heat build up in the trunk.
One day after a drive my bare calf brushed up against the fender and it was
so hot that it left a burn on my leg that took a week to heal!
It get's really hot up front from the air blowing.

Now, when I mentioned some of my cooling problems to Hervey back when
I installed the fans, he argued that the missing shroud could be the
problem.
I do not totally disagree however that would only effect my moving
temperature.
My idle temp was higher and that tells me I need more fans.
Hervey says his new fans are pulling 80% of the original at half the juice.
I would rather have 100% or greater and take advantage of that big
alternator
that I bought from him.

I just hope I can get all of this done before the DMCH open house.
Otherwise I will be driving the Dodge (with the AC blasting!)

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
- Videobob

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:24:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Headed to Coloreado

Hi All,

today, I'm headed to Colorado for a month to help my daughter & family
with some projects on their new house.  I won't be driving my D but
might have soem time for lunch or dinner with any of you on the list to
share experiences or just say "hi."  If  you are near Bolder, I might
even have an evening or weekend day to help with a Delorean project.

Let me know if you are interested.

Woody

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:31:50 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF Exhaust

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> If you paid close attention to the directors commentary version of
> the BTTF part 1 DVD you would here Bob Gale explain how the exhaust
> sound was dubbed over to make the car sound more powerful.

On the  director's commentary on Part 3, they said they learned their
lesson from Part I and replaced all the engines for the sequels with
Porsche engines (type unspecified).

I'm not sure what lesson they learned in Part I but I guess they wanted
some performance that just couldn't be accomplished with audio
dubbing.  In particular, I believe they were discussing the scene when
Marty pops into the middle of the Indians in 1885 and spends a few
harried moments driving in reverse.  After that, the engine wasn't
used. But since both II and III were shot back-to-back, presumably the
Part II cars were also modified.

Marv

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 07:49:06 -0000
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: PA tech session

Hi all,

I thought this would be the easiest way to reach all who were
involved with, and attended, the PA tech session in Aliquippa this
past Saturday.  First and foremost, I want to say a hearty Thank
You! for hosting an awesome meet.  Dan and Judy, you really know how
to make a new owner feel welcome, I really appreciated it.  To Dave
Stragand and Judey, and Josh Haldeman (did I spell that right??),
Joe, and all others (I'm very bad with names sorry...it will take a
few times before I remember em all so don't hold it against me if I
still don't have it after the 8th tech session lol j/k!) to
everybody thanks for all the help with VIN 02728.  We made the trip
back with Mike and JoAnn Cohee without a problem :) Jeff--again it
was good to put a face to the name.  I really liked what you did
with the headliners and thanks for showing me your LEDs...now I know
I want to go ahead with the conversion! Naturally, a big thanks to
Rob Grady who was there with excellent technical advice ;)  All in
all, it was a blast and I look forward to seeing you all in August!!!

Jack

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:41:11 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

Good day all,
I had to chime in on this topic concerning dmcgreece's comments on John
Hervey.  I have found John to be one of the most helpful and informative
vendors who has constantly come to my aid since I purchased my car and
started buying parts in may of 2004.  Believe me, what you might think is a
"sales pitch" for John's products is more like him telling you the truth of
what you will need to update or replace on your DeLorean-having Josh and Ken
take on the project of a frame replacement for my vehicle gave me a
firsthand crash course on this!  John has never steered me wrong and I find
him always willing to try and answer questions and diagnose problems.  How
many local shops or mechanics would spend that much time with DeLorean
owners?  As has been stated before support for the vendors, publishers, and
groups is vital for the community to continue to thrive.  Maybe a better way
to look at it would be that if tech support for computer problems runs
upwards of $40 an hour then $15 for a long distance call from a DeLorean
expert isn't bad at all!

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 07:01:03 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Funny DeLorean Stories

Hi gang,
I wanted to share with the group some of my enthusiastic neighbor's comments about DeLoreans.  Whenever I have been out working on the car(which of course, is quite frequently!) he has always been quick to come over and lend a hand.  He's 23 and like most of us is completely fascinated with the vehicle.  He brought a new neighbor over on Saturday night who is a car enthusiast and really wanted to see a DeLorean up close and personal.  My enthusiastic neighbor is much more vocal than I am and proceeded to proclaim that the DeLorean "was the greatest car ever made" and "nothing will ever top it".   I couldn't help but chuckle as I appreciated his praise as opposed to my frustration with constantly repairing things.  In the end I guess it shows that all the work that DeLorean owners put into keeping these cars on the road is definitely admired by others!

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:06:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: BTTF Exhaust

Can you explain why louder is better??

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:58:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Stragand/Plakosh Tech Session makes front page news!

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-PATechSpring05.htm

Had a great time this past Saturday. Thanks to Dan & Judy Plakosh for letting the
20 DeLoreans invade their yard & feeding us all!

Also thanks to Dave Stragand, Rob Grady & Dave Bauerle for all the help they
offered everyone.

Check back later to the above link for more pictures to come.

One more personal thanks to Tom Wilke, Dave Bauerle, Ken Koncelik & Chuck Darling
for making sure I can make it all the way home with my over night clutch problem.

Shannon Y
16506

Yahoo! Mail

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 07:07:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cardboard DeLorean

Some say OSU students are just crazy nuts. We may now have some more proof for
this accusation. Check out this DeLorean made of cardboard in front of Hopkins
Hall on the Ohio State University campus.

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-CardboardDMC.htm

Thanks to Josh Haldeman & his sister for this find. Josh's sister is looking into
more information about this project. If & when we get this it will be posted at
the link above.
Hey Ken, can your tiny little truck tow this to the DCS Chicago ;-)

Shannon Y
16506

Yahoo! Mail

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:24:50 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: CA owner in Yosemite?

This weekend I was camping up in Yosemite (my D was at home though)
Anyway, We were just about to go hiking near the base of El Capitan
when I looked up just in time to see a D drive right by on the 120
road going west! It was about 3:30 in the afternoon on Saturday. The
plate was 4DDR184. Just thought I might say "hello!"
-sean

'DAFUTRE'

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 07:44:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Robert, The symptoms you describe sound identical to what happened to my 78 Eldorado. I had driven to Autozone with the AC on, and was walking back to the car after shopping. A loud bang under the hood sounded and a white cloud of "smoke' appeared. Naturally a crowd of onlookers gathered , when I popped the hood it was clear that a pressure hose to the AC compressor had burst at the fitting. New hoses with the correct end fittings were no longer available, however the shop knew of a place the send the old hoses and they were able to use the old fittings and rebuild them with new hoses. The Eldorado had been converted to 134a several years before this happened. Look for the source of oil residue, it will help you pinpoint the leak. It may be a good time for you to replace all the AC hoses with new ones while the system is down.

Robert Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:I was driving my car to a local car show yesterday,

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 08:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cardboard DeLorean

Very cool!

As you may know, I live in a town with a major ski
resort.  Every year, on the last day of the season, it
hosts "The Cardboard Classic".  Locals build
"vehicles" out of cardboard and race down the ski
mountain.  There are Viking ships, Hummers, Kayaks and
more.

I have often thought that entering a cardboard
DeLorean would be awesome.  The rules are that the
entire vehicle must be made of cardboard (AND, duct
tape, of course).  It only needs to withstand one run
down the mountain and very few even make that in one
piece.

Think I'll have to do some research.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867