From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2636
Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:22 PM

1. Re: Door seal kits
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. POSTAGE TO UK ADDRESS PROBLEMS
From: "alistairmccann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

3. Mr Scragg of VA are you on this list?
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: catalytic converters
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. Re: Funny drive through story
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Proud New Owner of a DeLorean!!
From: "deloreandmc81" <shelbycobra_at_dml_earthlink.net>

7. Re: Trailing Arm Bolt replacement
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

8. Re: Trailing Arm Bolt replacement
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

9. side stripe
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: Door Striker Pin
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

11. NEW: Door seal kits
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolt replacement
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Re: side stripe
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

14. DMC Clock
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: Funny drive through story
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

16. Re: side stripe
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Trailing Arm Bolt replacement
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

18. A little help please?
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

19. Re: Door seal kits
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

20. Re: DMCH's "deloreans" magazine
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

21. Re: Door Striker Pin
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: Next project.
From: "Stephen Jaeger" <sjaeger_at_dml_comcast.net>

23. Re: Trailing Arm Bolt replacement
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: Door seal kits
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

25. Re: Drive Through Story
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:57:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door seal kits

NOS?  How good can 25 year old rubber be?

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:57:54 -0000
From: "alistairmccann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: POSTAGE TO UK ADDRESS PROBLEMS

Hi All

I know that most people on this group are from the states and that
when you order stuff for your Delorean from any of the well known
dealers you would normaly not mind if your stuff was sent normal US
Postage.

I have had a few problems with ordering stuff in the past year or so
from alot of of Delorean dealers and was wondering if anyone else
from europe or even America has had the same problems.

I had recently ordered some parts from one of the largest stock
dealers who gave me a list of ways for the parts to be sent.  Because
of the problems I have had I always choose FEDEX NEXT DAY as I know
that this will get to me here in the UK in a couple of days.  When I
recieved the conformation that the stuff had been sent I saw to my
dissmay thay the parts had been sent US STANDARD MAIL!!! Why do they
give you the option to get it sent special delivery and then send it
by the cheaper option???

I have had alot of parts that I have needed quickly for various
reasons that have never arrived on time because vendours keep sending
them by a cheaper carrier that I have not requested.

Now I am not saying that I am rich or anything but I always like to
know that my parts are going to get to me on time and in one piece so
I dont mind spending that little bit extra on postage. The largest I
have ever paid being $100 plus tax when I get it to my front door.

Thats my rant over!!

Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
VIN# PILOT25

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:15:25 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Mr Scragg of VA are you on this list?

Hello Mr. Scragg if you are on this list please contact me ASAP.

Charlie

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Charlie's e-mail address to contact him at is charles_az1 at hotmail.com]

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:01:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: catalytic converters

Re-read the original message (#52359) -- I explicitly stated that
"catalytic converters are available for [DMCH and DMCUK exhaust
systems]". I guess I get no credit for saying "something right", only
pilloried for what you disagree with. True, I did mention that
converters act like additional mufflers as far as sound is concerned,
but sound *WAS* "ltshaneclarke's" concern...

FWIW: I don't think I'm the first person in the world to stumble
across the idea of gutting or removing a catalytic converter...

BTW: I've seen naturally gutted converters (stopped up then blew their
innards out). They sometimes do it to themselves. This is especially
common on retrofitted vehicles without air injection -- one of the
reasons Virginia gave up the practice.

For the record: I didn't "instruct" anyone to remove their converter.
But I did mention it as an option. It is an option, is it not?
Illegal, yes, but an option nevertheless (as is exceeding posted speed
limits, driving with a radar detector in many states, and the ever
popular failure to keep a safe distance from the car ahead of you).

You may want to check out a current lively discussion in the other
DeLorean group Re: legality of copying and distributing video clips.
Similar issue applied to another aspect of the hobby.

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:34:10 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Funny drive through story

Where's the Taco Bell?  Maybe more of us can go there. :)

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:26:35 -0000
From: "deloreandmc81" <shelbycobra_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Proud New Owner of a DeLorean!!

Hello everyone I just became a proud owner of a DeLorean a few weeks
ago!  I have wanted one since I was 5 years old and have waited 16
long years to finally get one. I have an 81, which is in great
condition, with VIN #06408, manual transmission, gray interior and
21,000 miles.  I have to tell you this car is an absolute blast to
drive.  It looks great, it handles really well and I am extremely
happy to finally own one!  This thing gets so many looks everywhere I
take it, I tell you the people just come out of the woodwork to see
it.  Anyway I just thought that since I have been coming to the
dmcnews website for many years now I would let everyone know that I
got a DeLorean and that I am finally Living the Dream!  So now I hope
to be more active in the DMC group instead of sitting off to the side.
 So thanks for taking the time to read this and I wish everyone the best!!

                                            Sincerely,
                                              James Andrew Dille

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:51:03 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Re: Trailing Arm Bolt replacement

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...> wrote:
> Is this job do-able in the home garage, or does it have to be done by
> a more experienced mechanic?  If done at home, are there any archived
> message threads or files that cover the procedure for replacement?  I
> have not yet checked the original bolts on my car.  Is replacement
> (Toby TABs?) an automatic "must do" for a Delorean owner?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul - one month owner of VIN 10944

Paul, I took some detailed photos when I replaced the TAB's in my
automatic. They are under the photos section on page 2 "Toby TAB Install"

Provided your tabs are not seized in place, it's not to terribly
difficult of a job if you have decent mechanical skills. Also air
tools will greatly help speed along the process.

-sean
'DAFUTRE'

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:57:14 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Thanks you, Toby. You have been helpful.  As long as there are
detailed instructions for do-it-yourselfers, I am willing to give it
a shot, probably later this summer.

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:59:32 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: side stripe

Hello all.. I remeber seeing a side stripe for the Delorean that one
could buy that could contail the VIN number in it.  Does anyone have
any idea as to where these can be found?

Roy #0893

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:00:58 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Door Striker Pin

I went through the same questions when I was adjusting my doors. The nut
"should be" held in a little pocket behind the frame. Can you tell if the
striker pin is mounted against bare metal or is plastic under it. When I was
trying to adjust my rear pin I couldn't get the pin to pull back far enough.
It wasn't until I saw another later model car that I saw the plastic behind
the pin was sawed out revealing bare SS behind the pin washer. Using a 2"
hole saw I carefully sawed out the plastic and Wala, I could now adjust the
pin back enough so it hit the striker perfectly.

Dave Sontos
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:16:58 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: NEW: Door seal kits

Hi
I'm speaking for Rob here since he is out of town and won't be back for a few days and this subject comes up from time to time.

Robs weatherstrip is custom made to be the same as the original DeLorean weatherstrip in profile and softness including the breathing holes on the inner seal.

The outer glue on Seals come in two styles narrow bead (stock) and thick bead. The thin bead is what most cars use but if you have a poor fit on one of the panels you can order the thick strip for that section.  It also helps eliminate some door water leaks and wind noises due to poor weatherstrip fit in some cars leaving a gap and causing wind noise.

The product is NEW product not NOS and is designed for the car not a look alike from other car mfg.

Rob told me to the best of his memory that the kit sells for $392 for the whole car and all the pieces are precut so they fit right. (He's been driving for three days all over and I think he will be glad to get back).

If you have any questions give Rob a call.

Rob, any good trailer stories?
Little Truck rules.

Wrongway  (inside joke)

PS Speaking of inside Joke did anyone notice something different in the last issue of DCS
We followed a format except this last issue.  What was different, there were actually three things different.

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 17:35:22 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolt replacement

Is it still DIY-able in a garage with standard tools on an automatic?
(i.e. Do I need to get a specially angled version of any normal tools,
etc...?)

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:02:33 -0400
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: side stripe

You need to edit the plot files and have a sign shop cut the vinyl. Most
sign shops can do the editing for you if you don't know how. If you (or any
other list members) are in Florida I would be happy to do the edit and help
you install them.

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:18:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC Clock

SO....Perhaps this is one for our vendors?  I would love a working center clock that actually has the correct time and keeps it.   Any aftermarket ideas?  Yes, my radio has one but only when it's on.  The LCD clock is a bit to slanted to really see it properly anyway.  If folks like DMCH can re-make headlight switches perhaps this is one of those parts that could use another look at supplying again.

I'll buy one!!

Tom Watkins

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:25:20 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Funny drive through story

Salem Oregon, on South Commercial :)

Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:28:24 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Steve..Thanks, but I'm in NY State.  What do you mean edit the  files?
Thanks, Roy

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 23:39:38 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Greg - An angled head die grinder with abrasive cut-off wheel is a
convenience for this task, but you can work around not having one.  As
noted in another response in this thread, there is a file with photos
showing the operation.  I haven't looked at that file in a while, but
I'm sure that it works great the way it was done for that article.  The
automatic makes it a little more complicated, but not overwhelmingly
so.  You wouldn't have any problems.  For people who don't want to cut
the old bolt out, all that is required are a few more disassembly steps
than normal.

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 23:44:45 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: A little help please?

Hi Gang - Does anybody on the List have a hand-held anemometer, and
would be willing to gather some limited data for me?  I would very much
appreciate it.  If so, please email me off-List at Toby(at)delorean-
parts.com.  Thank you so much.

Moderator - This is DeLorean-related.  Thanks again.

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:17:58 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

-Dude,
by seals from Delorean Housten, are you kidding me? Housten has
verything. I here you pay a little more over there; I prefer to keep
that establishment alive. Remember, D Housten are responsible for
bringing back parts that would otherwise be obsolete. Support all
vendors, above all support DMCH. Awesome service.

Byron

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:13:07 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH's "deloreans" magazine

Hi Joshua, I have only received that issue as well and only a couple
news letters.
I am not to concerned, I agree, the issue wasn't overwhelming,
neverthless it represents DeLorean. Anything kept alive DeLorean
after 25 years kicks ass, 1 page or 100. DW magazine is very nice
quality, if you have an intersting story about your car I'm sure
they or any of the magazines could use it in their magazines. After
all we are who make the magazine by doing our part. I anticipate the
next magazine will be full of good stuff, like you said it has been
a while; but a lot has happened since the last issue.
Gullwing magazine is also very good.

DW magazine is offering back issues with a 3 year Deloreans Owners
Association Membership to the tune of $200. There is a great link to
there magazine on the web site, check it out.

Byron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Joshieloo_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I'm just checking to see if anyone on the list that  subscribes to
DMCH's
> "deloreans" magazine has received any recent issues. The  last one
I received was
> the one with the "new" interior on the cover. I thought  it was
supposed to
> be a quarterly magazine. I called DMCH last week and spoke  with
Warren; he
> said that they have been very busy and that it has been  difficult
to get the
> magazine together, though a new issue is pending. Suffice  it to
say, of the one
> issue I have received, I am disappointed. How about an  e-mail
letting those
> that subscribe know that they are behind with producing the
magazine?And
> another issue I wonder about is the "e-newsletter." I believe
that  I've only
> received two e-mails since signing up for it back in
December/January.  What's the

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:48:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The door should not touch the head of the pin. Slowly close the door
and watch if it is moved foward (or back) as the pin enters the latch.
The latch captures the shank of the pin, the head should not contact
the door or latch at all. Look at the head for shiny spots or
scratches. Look at the door and guides for scratches. These will tell
you if the head of the striker pin is hitting.(You can also use a
strip of paper between the door and the head of the pin). If you do
determine the head is hitting then you take out a washer (if you are
LUCKY and there is one or 2 there to take out!) The nut is captured
and will not fall out when you remove the pin. When you take a washer
out of one you may have to put it under the other. This is a kind of
trial-and-error adjustment. The door closes in an arc so it is not
easy to get the striker pin adjusted. Again, trial and error will get
the job done. When closing the door the front and rear latches should
both click at the same time. If you have old, dead door seals it will
not be easy to adjust properly. Do not close the door harder to
compensate for old, dead seals. They have to be replaced. The latches
actually click twice so make sure both front and rear locks get into
the second locking position without having to slam the doors. Make
sure you really tighten the striker (anchor) pins once you get the
adjustment right. If you can't get enough adjustment and the
fiberglass is in the way it can be trimmed to get more adjustment.
There are round rubber covers that can cover the bottom of the pin,
they glue on. If ther are no washers to take out you can grind the
head of the pin a little.

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:09:49 -0700
From: "Stephen Jaeger" <sjaeger_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Next project.

As far as I can tell, the ball joints I replaced last year were the
originals. I was just doing the one this time because of the split boot.

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:58:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The trailing arm bolts are doable without special tools. Replace the
shims exactly as you find them. Count them BEFORE you take things
apart and write the # with a marker right on the frame. If you can't
remove the bolts from the trailing arms you will have to remove the
entire bushing assembly with the trailing arm and take it all to a
shop and have it pressed out. Sometimes the old bolts are bent and/or
so stubborn that they have to get pressed out. After you are all done
you may want to go for a 4 wheel alignment. A torque wrench is needed
but I don't consider it a "special" tool. Beside a jack, jackstands,
and a creeper you need basic metric combo wrenches and sockets. Maybe
some Band-Aids and a lot of patience. On the automatic you have to
take the left rear wheel off and remove the 2 bolts holding the
trailing arm to the rear carrier so you can move the tailing arm
enough to get the bolts in and out. No big deal, you don't have to
disconnect the brake line.

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 01:30:54 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I know how Rob's are made, and those are the one's I was shooting to
get since they're brand new, they've got the large profile outer seals
and they come in a complete kit form. I need every piece including
door sill and roof seals; otherwise John, I would have purchased them
from you and installed them long ago in one of my last orders. Price
is good (tax will be a killer though), but when I ordered them in
March, Rob told me they were out and waiting for them to be made. I
since asked a few more times but have gotten no reply, I don't want to
keep pestering Grady's but I can't keep putting these off because soon
it will be a downpour in NY and my new seats, carpet, everything's
going to be soaked. Nothing against Rob, or any vendor for that
matter-what I'm trying to get at?-finding who else offers all these
seals in a complete kit if Grady's falls through, that's all. Thanks
guys-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:31:31 EDT
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Drive Through Story

In a message dated 5/24/2005 6:12:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:07:43 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Funny drive through story

Last night I was driving the D and stopped at Taco Bell on the  way
home . When I got to the pick up window and opened my door it  scared
the heck out of the poor girl to see the door open upwards.  The girl,
who must have been the shift manager, then told me "you  have to stop
bringing that car through here. Every time you do work  stops for the
next half hour cause everyone is talking about your  car."
As she was telling  me this I saw all the male employees  gather
behind her to get a look at the car.

Phil  Priestley

Vin 2105
IN  FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

It's somewhat ironic that you should have this happen at a Taco Bell, as
back when our cars were still new and in dealers' showrooms, Taco Bell actually
had a national "scratch-off" ticket contest promotion which included
Deloreans as one of the major prizes!

*****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan  Harris*****
WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: _http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser_
(http://www.scificruise.com/)