From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2640
Date: Thursday, May 26, 2005 4:34 PM

1. Re: Old Tires
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Washer Motor Question
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: side stripe [it was me!]
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. RE: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

5. Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

6. Re: Old Tires
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. RE: Re: Door seal kits
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

8. Re: Headliner work - opportunities while there?
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

9. RE: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Window off track...worst job yet to fix
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Re: Cracked Windshield
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

12. Re: Old Tires
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: DMCH's "deloreans" magazine
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Re: hot outside, no start discussion
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. DMCH deloreans Mag
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Old Tires
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Headliner work - opportunities while there?
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:10:55 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Old Tires

I can't agree with you more, David.  It wasn't too long ago that I had
to replace mine.  The tires on my DeLorean still had the little rubber
pegs on the sides along with plenty of tread.  They looked new but one
separated on me and turned out to be 14 years old, (according to the
codes).  It cost about $500 to replace all of them, but it was
nesessary - especially in Arizona.

Johnny
5518

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 12:18:02 EDT
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Washer Motor Question

Here, Here Warren!

Mine croaked because a 100 years ago a mouse built a nest in the bottle
basket and plugged the drain holes causing the basket to fill up and burned out
the motor. I knew it was over 100 yrs ago because the mouse poop was petrified!
 Anyway I bought the new motor from Houston, removed the gazillon screws,
installed the new motor and made sure it worked, it did. I took 3 hrs to  feed
that stupid bottle back into place and filled up the bottle..

Worked great until I went out in the morning and saw a huge puddle. With  all
the wiggling and getting the stupid bottle into place I knocked the motor
loose and the fluid leaked out!! I haven't touched it since!!!

Chuck
Vin 6125
And no washer fliud!

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:01:24 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: side stripe [it was me!]

I think James left out the word "NOT" in the last line of the second
paragraph quoted below. I freely distributed the .plt files as well as
the .eps files to anyone who asked for them. My only requests were
that they NOT be used to make stripes and sell them for a profit, and
I asked that if the recipients of the stripe files found them to be
useful, that they consider pre-ordering a headlight switch (up to 170
pre-orders with about 95 days left!):

http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch.asp

The stripe files will soon be available from our website along with
instructions on what to do with them/tell your sign shop.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yep I was selling them on eBay a while ago after a UK owner asked me
> to have his cars nick name and vin cut into the rear qtr part of the
> stipe.
>
> I have to be straight with people, James Espey kindly made the side
> stripe plot files availible for me and others to use on the basis
> that they would be used for profit making.

(SNIP)

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:07:45 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...

I wouldn't want to be the person to test that theory for the first time.

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:14:49 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Maybe for a while - but.... Another problem may be that it means you
drilled the hole off-center, so the new stud will not be straight
and/or won't hold tight.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:24:22 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

This is one of those things you take add some common-sense to. The
tires companies have two goals - don't get sued, and sell more tires.

If you keep your car as a "collector car" stored inside and don't
plan on driving it long/hot distances, tires will last quite a long
time. If you drive it a lot, you'll probably wear them out before
there is any danger of age-related failure. If you store the car
outside in the sun, AND don't drive it much, 5-6 years is about right
(notice how many people have trailer tire failures even though the
tread looks fine). Trailers are usually stored outside, and many are
only used a few times a year. Worst of both worlds.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:54:12 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Door seal kits

Hi Dani,

Sorry for the delay but I've been pulled in many directions lately. I intend
to play catch-up on door seals and headliner kits over the next week. I have
been extremely busy between the shops, mail order, and sales inquiries all
being busier or greater than usual and a shortage (temporary) of personnel.
One of the reasons my weather-strips and headliners are so popular is that I
do the final cutting of the strips, and covering of the headliners, myself
because I enjoy it and think I do a decent job at it. Perhaps the time has
come for some delegation of this stuff as my work load is "just crazy"! I
hope any one affected can be patient a little longer.

Sincerely,

Rob Grady

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:08:27 -0000
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: Headliner work - opportunities while there?

While I have mine out I had the windshield replaced (less opportunity
for them to get damaged).

You might want to take some pictures of the "cave drawings" under the
door headliners.

- Mike Walsh
#17084

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:01:37 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

It would if you use thread SEALANT (not locktite) on the stud. Many water
pump bolts on many models go right into the jacket. What I don't know is if
thread sealant would withstand the heat of the head in the vicinity of the
exhaust ports. Someone with more experience may be able to tell us that.

BTW if you find a well-equipped automotive machine shop or engine rebuilder
in your area there are special spark-discharge machines known as
disintegrators that will chew that stud right out of that hole for you. You
might make a few calls to find a shop in your area that has one.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:09:46 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Window off track...worst job yet to fix

Turned out I wasn't looking at the obvious.  After putting on a
suitable replacement for the velvet material that came off before, it
didn't allow the window to open up into the car, and everything
appears to be working fine now.  It gives just enough extra push to
keep the window from entering the cockpit.  It wasn't as hard as I
had originally thought.  Thanks for all of the help, both private and
DML emails.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:21:17 -0000
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: Cracked Windshield

Well the windshield is still cracked but now it's in the dumpster. I
just had the glass replaced a couple of hours ago. Coincidently,
Debby Grady called (I ordered the glass from PJ Grady's) to remind me
to use the pad for the rear view mirror as I was heading over there -
that's service!

While I don't know for sure exactly what caused the crack (
http://www.oneskydojo.com/delorean/windsh.JPG )we found that there
was not any urethane adhesive for 2" either side of the passenger
side clip. Going another couple of inches, the adhesive did not bond
to the fiberglass at all. The guys at the glass shop thought the
problem might be caused by the glass rubbing on that clip over time.

I believe that the prev owner probably jacked it up improperly which
caused too much flex in the body. Because of the clip rubbing against
the glass it created a weak point and that is where it cracked.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. Now if I can figure out
where to put in the gas I will be all set - just kidding :)

Mike Walsh

Behalf

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:00:08 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

And one has to wonder how big of a hand the tire manufacturers had
to do with trying to push this ridiculous measure through.

Sounds either like tire companies trying to avoid lawsuits from
accidents cause from tires by saying "I told you so, not our fault
anymore, they were expired tires, you were warned."

Either that, or they are feeding on the gullibility of people, and
are preparing to sell a helluva lot of tires now.

I think it is some of both. I just finally removed the JCPenny
radials off my old mustang before I sold it lasy year. Yep, JCPenny
radials, guess how old those were.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634
&

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 21:20:58 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH's "deloreans" magazine

You should check out DCS magazine, while you wait for your next
DeLorean issue. I subscribe to all the magazines, sort of a hobby
thing; Ken Koncellik does a nice job formatting and providing
interesting stories and Tech info. DeLorean and DW have extremely
nice quality print, however its nice to compare all the magazines
and support them nevertheless.

The cover art of the latest DCS magazine and more pictures inside of
the girl on the cover is enough reason to buy it. Maybe thats the
answer. Good content and hot women, instead of a picture of the
inside of a door panel.

BC

> [...]
> No offense James, but DMCH's magazine is biased in favor of DMCH's
> merchandise
> and ignores all the other vendors.
>
> Now, I don't think that there is anything wrong with that except I
feel
> that is should be sent out as a complimentary catalog and not
represented
> as a magazine when it really doesn't have any content other than
the
> mentioning of your own products.
> Again, nothing wrong with that, but that is catalog and not an
enthusiast
> magazine which is what you are trying to represent as the views in
> the magazine are somewhat one sided and never offer alternatives.
> It is also the most expensive as compared to all the other similar
> magazines.
>
> I think it has great potential but there needs to be more
incentive.
> Maybe some coupons, discounts, etc...
> I look forward to seeing what new changes you have made since
> I have a subscription.
> No offense or hard feelings.
> - VB
>

> >From: "James" <james_at_dml_u...>
> >To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: [DML] Re: DMCH's "deloreans" magazine
> >Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:18:59 -0000
> >
> >Joshieloo -
> >
> >Yeah, this issue was a challenge. We hired a new designer, and
this
> >was the first issue she completed on her own, and it was a bit of
> >learning process for her. Then, in March, JZD passed away, and
meant
> >that some things had to be re-arranged in the magazine and the
cover
> >changed.
> >
> >Unlike Gullwing and the DCS magazine, which are printed on a laser
> >printer, the quantities that we print in pretty much necessitate
that
> >we print on a real printing press. Far higher quality, but
requires a
> >bit more preparation to get ready for press, and when something
> >changes, it usually means more than just what changes has to
change.

> >We sent the files to the printer last week, and they had a problem
> >with the ink saturation on some of the pages,so I sent it back for
> >re-print. This issue, with the JZD cover photo and content, even
if it
> >was late, I wanted to make sure it looked as good as it could. I
kept
> >a handful of the bad ones here at the office, and dropped one in
the
> >mail to you today. You'll still get another of the new ones, I
expect
> >to have them and mail them Tuesday (after Memorial Day) next week.
> >
> >I don't think questioning our "passion" was called for, but I can
> >understand I share your frustration. As the editor
of "deloreans", if

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 21:03:00 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: hot outside, no start discussion

The only accurate way to check fuel system pressures is with a high
PSI gauge & fittings (I think John Hervey rents one), but there are
some low tech diagnostics you can perform in the interim:

First & foremost, when you lower the air sensor plate manually (engine
off), does it provide resistance and does the metering piston make a
high pitched weeping sound, or is it floppy and the metering piston
silent? Resistance means there was at least some residual system
pressure (which you have now released).

The same test can be performed with an injector pulled if you want to
see if there was enough presure to make it spray once.

Jumping the RPM relay forces the fuel pump to spin. Immediately after
doing so, system pressure should be the same as during cranking for
the same tests.

Thermal Time Switch is temperature opened, but usually by hot coolant.
Simply put a continuity meter between the line in (White/Red per
wiring diagram) and the block to see if sunlight is doing the same.

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMCH deloreans Mag

This was mentioned awhile ago Bob by others that share your viewpoint of the "deloreans" magazine.   Your point is well taken and does have some merit but I think overall I would have to disagree with you.

Yes the magaizne is geared towards their products, as well it should be.  This is why they are in business.  Should it be given away for free?  Maybe, but there is alot of time, effort and energy that goes into a magazine of this type.   If DMCenter, Rob, D1 put out their own magazine (some will argue that Delorean World WAS a D1 mag) should they have other vendors in it?  It wouldn't be smart business wise but as we all know other vendors carry DMCH supplied parts for us.  We all know the major players in the game here so not having other vendors in their mag isn't a big deal I guess.   Perhaps if they put in their which vendors carry their parts might make it more palatable for some?  I don't know.

The magazine also has great articles that show how to do stuff that some may not know.  I installed my own door handles using the great instructions in the mag.  Granted I did buy the new handles from them because of the article but hey, it's free enterprise.   If you were to put out a "videobob" magazine with your wares I doubt that it would serve you to have ads for other vendors.  You may choose to give away your mag for free but that would be a business decision on your part.

I agree with you that it is self promotion but I don't mind paying for it because it supports getting the information out there as well as I like having the instructions/articles and other information in a nice easy to read format.   To each his own I guess.....nobody is making anyone buy it.  Either you do or you don't.  I take my car to Rob in New York so DMCH won't see my car but it's good to know what's out there.

Fear not, your point of view has been put out there before on this topic so I'm sure no offense is taken by  DMCH.  It's a good magazine and it does cost them $ to produce it.  I buy deloreans, DCS and Gullwing just to support the efforts.  If you do put out a mag let us know, if it's good I'd probably buy that too!

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:26:09 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I also notice that some savvy people who have trailers parked on the side of
their house take steps to shield the tires from the sun. I guess the sun's
UV rays damage the compound, and tires, being black, get very hot in the
sun, too.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:50:29 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

I have placed sound deadening mat material in many places on the car.
 The fiberglass roof however I opted not to due because of the already
low profile of the roof.  The added thickness may make it more
difficult to attach the headliner peices to the roof and physicaly
lower it slightly.  The open area inside the doors however are an
ideal spot.  The thin stainless steel sheet there will also transfer
much more noise than the fiberglass peices will (the stainless t-panel
already has a lot of foam underneith of it which does cut down on
noise transfer) so if any place I'd say the top door skin is the place
to do it.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960