From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2641
Date: Friday, May 27, 2005 12:41 PM

1. RE: Re: DMCH's "deloreans" magazine
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. RE: DMCH deloreans Mag
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. RE: DMCH deloreans Mag
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Door panel Firtrees
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. RE: Re: hot outside, no start discussion
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Headliner work - opportunities while there?
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

7. Fuel Line
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

8. Re: Washer Motor Question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Turbocharged DeLo engine and tranny for sale
From: "lotusdmc_8a" <lotusdmc_8a_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: JH's seal kit (was) Re: Door seal kits
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: Old Tires
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Re: Failed Check Valve Or Primary Pressure Regulator
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. Re: side stripe [it was me!]
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. A/C tensioner woes
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>

16. Re: DMCH deloreans Mag
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:55:17 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DMCH's "deloreans" magazine

Thanks for the suggestion,
however I already have a subscription to DSC, as well as GULLWING and
DELOREANS.
I also contribute articles and photos to both magazines.
(DELOREANS is rally just a catalog that sometimes includes installation
instructions for their own products)
I feel that if you are going to be an active member of the "community" that
you should contribute to everyone who is also active.
So I try to buy from all of the vendors, and subscribe to all publishers.
This is why I feel I have a voice when it comes to an opinion of DELOREANS
magazine verses the other magazines.
I have been collecting every sort of DeLorean related publication I could
find
for several years now, including DELOREAN WORLD, DeGullwing, and others.

The problem is that there is not much to talk about now a days,
all there is to do is re-hash a lot of old subjects for the new people to
see.

I have only owned a DeLorean for about a year and a half now, but by
immersing
myself into the subject of DeLoreans, reading every publication that I could
get my hands on,
as well as talking with owners I feel that I have learned quite a bit about
the cars.
I don't have a mechanic background but I do feel I have learned enough about
the
cars that I could be considered knowledgeable about them.
It amazes me that when I sometimes meet other owners how little they
know about their own cars.
Not everyone is as passionate about the DeLorean as I am.
Out of the remaining DeLorean owners out there, there are only a few
hundred people out there who feel the same way I do.
Those people are subscribers to the publications and forums like these.

Thanks for the comments though.
- Videobob

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:12:56 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: DMCH deloreans Mag

I wasn't trying to speak negatively about DELOREANS, it is well done, the
pictures are nice, etc...
but it is more of a Catalog that often offers instructions on how to install
their own products.
I don't have a problem with any of that really.
However, I get amazing catalogs the size of phone books from other
manufacturers
and don't pay a cent for them.

The only DeLorean related magazine that is completely unbiased, with no
hidden agenda
would have to be GULLWING.

When Ken started DSC, it was only to promote upcoming car shows, and to
reflect
on past shows and to advertise vendors that would be at upcoming shows.
It wasn't supposed to offer up tech articles.
(at least that is what I heard)
I am guilty of submitting tech articles to Ken myself!
He needed the content, so it made sense to add it.

However GULLWING has no hidden agenda at all.
Ron and Cheryl do not sell any DeLorean products of their own, they don't
have a
DeLorean service center, and are not directly affiliated with any particular
vendors, or etc.
They offer affordable ads and if you will pay for and ad then you can have
one.
That's it.
They publish tech articles that are sent into them, and do a few themselves.
They print the magazine right in their home with a professional color laser
printer,
and cut, staple and mail them themselves.
I have spent many hours on the phone with Ron and have submitted articles,
ads, photos and much more to them in the past.
I also print and send out a GULLWING order form with every single order I
mail out
to them in an effort to help them get new subscribers.

Some people's excuse for not subscribing is that the magazine is too
expensive.
A full year subscription for 4 issues is $48.00, or $12.00 per issue.
If that is breaking your bank then maybe it is time to sell the exotic
sports car
and start collecting stamps or something more affordable.
(we all know how I feel about that!)

All that said, Ken's magazine "DeLorean Car Show" is also a decent magazine
to get
and the car shows that Ken puts on are worth their weight in gold.
Ken and his family and friends work their ass off to do those shows, and
he deserves what ever money he gets.
I have paid a lot of money for vacations and entertainment and I can't think
of a better time that going to a place with 100+ DeLoreans!

So, subscribe to all 3 magazines I say - everyone wins.
- Videobob

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:55:10 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Tom and others.
I have watched the post on parts that Vendors have and I would just like to
say. ( None ) Yes None (Like in None ) of mine do I buy from Houston. That's
why I sell ( new ) not old inventory.
My clutch kits are brand new from France, Water pumps are brand new from
Italy. I have brand new clutch Slave cylinders from Spain and just had new
gaskets made in England for the oil ( sump ) pan and others. I now have a
manufacture in the US for all the gaskets now.  New fuel pumps, New Bosch
Items from the US warehouses and on and on.
My point is, they have their sources and I have mine. The only difference
is, they want to sell the old inventory before they start buying the new. I
just buy the new.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com.

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 01:35:05 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Door panel Firtrees

Group, If any one is looking for  ( New ) door panel Firtrees in the
original size and color ( Black ) they are on the site now under
accessories.
I also have some white ones that are 23mm OD VS the black at 19mm od
you can use if the holes are walled out some.
In 100 quanity they are $32.50/100
John Hervey
We keep looking for something better.

 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/firtree-fastner.jpg

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:56:19 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: hot outside, no start discussion

Not rent, You can use it. Just pick up the freight.

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 00:06:32 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Headliner work - opportunities while there?

Greg - Just curious here ... why do you need to have the headliners out
for "door launcher" wiring?

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 19:38:40 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Fuel Line

        Hi All,
                  I think I've posted more times this week than I ever have.
Anyway, my problem now. After replacing my fuel filter I can't get the
flared fuel to seat now. I have tried and tried and it still leaks. Anything
I can do to fix it? A gasket of some sort I can stick on it to press and seal
it when I tighten it down? If I can get this done then I'm gonna start on
the new trailing arm bolts I think.

                                  Jason #5903

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 02:15:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Washer Motor Question

I would remove the washer bottle, remove all the old washer fluid, and
wash the bottle out. On my car it was sitting for a long time and a
lot  of the washer fluid must have evaporated leaving a very slimy
mess inside. It all washed out easily with hot water but it is not
easy to do when the bottle is in the car. I have to agree, the hardest
part is all those damm little bolts and the inevitable ones that turn
the inserts. There is no good way to remove the bolts once the insert
starts to spin. Anything you do eventually munches up the fiberglass.
I also agree that you should test everything before putting it all
back together. It seems the more bolts that hold a part on the more
likely it will be that you will have to remove it again. While you are
in there take the harness plugs apart and clean the contacts so they
are nice and shiny. Make sure the little holes in the bottom of the
"box" are not plugged up or you can guess what will happen. If you
find evidence of a mouse infestation you have to check the wiring in
the vicinity, they can chew the insulation right off the wires! Wear a
dust mask and wet everything down thourghly and disinfect the area,
mice carry disease. Just another reason to go into all the hidden
areas of your car.

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 02:39:39 -0000
From: "lotusdmc_8a" <lotusdmc_8a_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Turbocharged DeLo engine and tranny for sale

Turbocharged DMC engine and automatic transmission for sale.  Includes
complete exhaust with flowmaster muffler and dual tips...no cat. Engine
and transmission need to be rebuilt.  Asking $3K plus cost to move to
your location.

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 21:28:42 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: JH's seal kit (was) Re: Door seal kits

James, I can take a picture of the seal cross section. Didn't know anyone
wanted it. They are all new material and latch on the lip just fine.

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 03:01:55 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...

It's a bit late now, but I advocate leaving the original studs in
place. Threads can be cleaned up with a die for replacement stainless
nuts. 7mm studs are very small to attempt removing against
electrolysis. It's not uncommon to snap 3/8" exhaust fasteners (even
in cast iron heads!) and they're more than 33% thicker.

I was so concerned about snapping mine on one side (Renault block)
that I didn't even attempt to remove the nuts -- just split them off.
Other side did have 5 of 6 nuts & studs removed by heating them cherry
red w/ acetylene, but even that much heat couldn't budge the sixth one.

Back to your situation -- first ensure that you indeed need to re-use
those same stud holes. PRV's have 4 holes per exhaust port. Depending
on your new system, perhaps the alternative holes can be used.

Otherwise, it's going to be nearly impossible to drill straight
through the broken studs with the crossmember in the way (it's very
difficult to drill straight through fasteners even when you have clear
line of sight). I'm afraid you're going to need to remove the head (be
careful not to wiggle the cylinders) or pull the engine/transmission.

Be sure to use as many stainless fasteners as possible on your new
system to avoid future problems (stainless nuts on carbon studs are OK).

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 04:20:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Old Tires

A little common sense should rule here. If you figure average driving
of around 8,000-10,000 miles a year you will have worn the tires out
before they age out on you. In the case of classic cars that aren't
driven regularly, if you keep the car out of the sun, drive
infrequently, inspect the tires regularly, check the air pressures,
and generally take care of things 10 years should not be to big a
risk. The main thing is after 6 years you have to start to worry about
the tires and not take it for granted that just because there is
plenty of tread they will last forever. If you have the NCT's then you
really should worry, they are over 20 years old and can go without
warning. IMHO they should only be used to drive the concours trailer
queen in and out of the trailer. We will see if and when everyone
takes this seriously when if you go for inspection they fail you for
having tires that are "too old". This will be the first case of a
"time-lifed" safety related automobile part. Some emission parts are
already time lifed like the O2 sensor and the catalytic converter.

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:27:48 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Failed Check Valve Or Primary Pressure Regulator

The whole pioint of the accumulator and the primary pressur regulator's
function of keeping pressure in the system when at rest is to stop fuel
vapourising in the injector lines. Once this happens you have to crank
the vapour out of those lines. Running the fuel pump will get the vapour
out of the supply an return lines in about 5 seconds but it'll do
nothing to the vapour in the injector lines.

Jumping the cold start valve gives the engine something to run on for a
few seconds, usually long enough to get rid of the vapour in the
injector lines. My own personal trick is to take the air box off and
push the metering flap right down while someone cranks it, and as soon
as the engine catches, let go. We had a car in with both a failed
accululator and pressure regulator and this trick worked a treat.

When the primary reg fails, it's a single O-ring that needs replacing
accessible by one nut.

Martin

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:54:45 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: side stripe [it was me!]

whoops, I cocked that up good an proper.

They were kindly released on the basis that they would NOT be used for
profit making purposes.

Sorry

James

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:08:07 -0400
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>
Subject: A/C tensioner woes

Hey all,

I can't for the life of me figure out how exactly how the A/C belt tensioner
is supposed to go back together.  I have all the piece in the right places
EXCEPT for the mysterious spacers that go between the brackets and that
timing chain cover.  The parts manual lists only 1 spacer required, but I
just don't see how that's possible.  It'd be easier for me to say if all the
bits and pieces hadn't gone rolling everywhere when originally disassembled.
D'oh!

I've referenced the parts & the service manual, and I don't think that
either of them has the assembly drawn correctly.  Using washers, I've gotten
the static pulley into a seemingly perfect alignment.  Using the spacer that
had rolled under the car, the adjustable pulley seems to be forced out in an
angle.  I'm tempted to just make my own spacer using washers, but want to do
this as correctly as possible.  Does anybody have a picture or some helpful
advice?

Thanks,
Luke / 10270

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 06:22:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Why not just include the instructions for installing
the door handle WITH the part?  I expect they do, or
would if you asked.  So, how useful was the magazine?

<SNIP>