From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2642
Date: Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:12 PM

1. Re: DMCH deloreans Mag
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

2. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

3. RE: A/C tensioner woes
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Fuel Line
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

7. Re: DMCH deloreans Mag
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: DMCH deloreans Mag
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

9. Re: Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Fuel Line
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

11. deloreans
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: Drive-In
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. DMCH, DCS, Gullwing and the rest of the story
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Painting Opinions
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Re: Jeremiah's Challenge -> DCS PR (Chicago) Thoughts
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:32:42 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH deloreans Mag

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" wrote:
> So, subscribe to all 3 magazines I say - everyone wins.

In addition to "DCS", "GullWing", and "deloreans", don't forget the
superb publication that the folks at "The DeLorean Owners Club UK" also
publish quarterly called "DeLorean News":

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/deloreannews/deloreannews.html

It's a little far removed from all of the U.S. based magazines, but
I've found the quality & passion to be first rate and should certainly
be categorized along with the others, in my humble opinion.

I'll also take a moment to praise all of these publishers for their
tireless efforts.  Having published a b/w BTTF magazine called "Hill
Valley Telegraph" (1992-96) prior to going online a decade ago
(certainly quite primitive now in comparision to these color mags
today), my heart goes out to each one of them for their dedication,
reliability & service to the DeLorean community.

Until you've walked a mile in their shoes, you have absolutely NO idea
the level of frustration they encounter with each & every issue in
trying to satisfy their subscribers.  Believe me, making money on the
publications themselves is NOT a motive - because there's simply no
money to be made in publishing a magazine with a circulation of several
hundred subscribers.

Keeping deadlines, dealing with printers & delivery services, keeping
equipment working properly, and dealing with unexpected expenses, all
while trying to top yourself quality-wise with each issue is an
unbelievable burden on any independent publisher.

No matter what ulterior motive they may have for wanting to put out a
publication, stand up and applaud them for doing so.  It's a thankless
job.

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:37:47 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak

I was finally able to attend to my fuel leak issue.  I filled up the
tank while watching the fuel pump boot.  It was filling up as I was
nearing full.  I watched fuel rise around the fuel pump.

I am guessing I will need a new one.  The rubber seemed pliable and
soft, but there must be a hole or tear somewhere.  Is it easy to
replace?

So does a properly working boot totally prevent fuel from entering
the area of the fuel pump?  In a normal situation, does the pump
stay dry in the boot while fuel surrounds the outside of the boot?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...>
wrote:
> Thanks to all for the advice about the fuel pump boot and other
> things to check. Still haven't had a chance to take apart yet.
Hope
> to this weekend.
>
> Paul
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> > Take the access panel underneath the spare tire out before you
go
> back
> > to the gas station.   Remove the spare and watch the fuel pump
> boot at
> > the next fill-up.  Mine was shot and when the tank was filled
fuel
> was
> > pouring out the top of the tank until the pressure equalized.
Has

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:45:18 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: A/C tensioner woes

Luke
I have assembled and reassembled several. Which spacer are you talking
about.I can also take a digital if you need and put it on the site.
John Hervey
972-564-9321 9am till 9 pm 7/7

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:55:06 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel Line

Jason, Flared fuel to seat?????

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:18:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The pump is supposed to stay dry. It is assualted by fuel from the
tank and water fron the upper boot. If fuel is getting around the pump
either the clamp holding the boot and pump is loose or you may also
have a fuel leak. The boot can also be deteriorated so that it is no
longer able to keep the fuel out. The upper boot is also important. It
keeps water from getting into the pump and rotting it. Generally you
wind up having to replace both. The frame also rusts but you can clean
it up if it isn't too bad or replace it if it is rotten.

--replace?

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:51:17 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Paul - The boot is supposed to seal around the pump, and there must
not be any seepage around the pump into the upper section of the
boot.  The electrical connections for the pump are there, and if they
were compromised by corrosion (it happens), then the situation can be
dangerous.  I have seen pumps with corrosion pits on the outer barrel
of the pump that allow fuel to pass by into the boot upper section.
The other possibility is that the boot has a tear, gouge, or that the
band clamp that holds the boot tightly to the pump has come loose.
Whatever the cause of the leakage is, you must correct it
immediately.  The upper section of the boot around the pump must be
dry, and free of fuel and moisture.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 14:15:18 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Some o the parts they sell do include installation instructions,
like the angle drive for instance, it does include instructions.
I would assume that all of the remanufactured parts they make
and sell include the instructions.
As for all the new old stock parts, they expect you to rely
on the MANUALS - which they also happen to sell :>
- VB

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 19:17:35 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

We certainly do include the instructions with the parts that we sell,
but publishing them in the magazine serves the purpose of letting
someone get an idea for what they might be getting into BEFORE they
buy the part. In some instances, there may be some "carry over" where
instructions for one particular part/project may be helpful when
performing some other task.

BTW, the current issue of "deloreans" has ads from two new
advertisers, DeLorean Motor Center in Garden Grove and the Players Run
rally organization. PJ Grady wanted to be in this issue, as well, but
as Ron mentioned earlier, his workload and temporary staffing shortage
put him just behind the deadline for this issue. I'm sure we'll see
them and a few others in the next issue.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud NIGHTMARE! Please Help ...

Ok, this was a secret that Casey and I did, but you
seem to be in quite a jam so I'll let you know what we
did.  I had a stud break in the block very similar to
your situation.  As Bill suggested, there are other
holes in the block along with other holes in the
replacement exhaust manifold gaskets that line up with
those holes in the block .  What Casey and I did, we
got a piece of metal (I think steel or iron) and
drilled a hole in it similar in size to the holes in
the engine block.  Then we took that piece of metal
and welded it to the exhaust manifold so that it acted
as an "extension".  Now that we had this extra piece
on the manifold, we could utilize the extra holes in
the block, and we just left that broken stud in the
original hole.  Worked perfectly; the "extension"
piece is even the same color as the exhaust manifold,
and it looks great.  Whatever the exhaust manifolds
are made of..that's what the "extension piece' is made
of.

In fact, come a year from now at PR, I invite all of
you to climb under my engine and try to find it.
You'll see how well it blends together with the
exhaust manifold.

Jeremiah
#3299 Exhaust-leak free

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:58:48 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

     Sorry, thought about that after I posted. It's not flared. Compression I think would
be
correct.
                                              Jason #5903

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: deloreans

Bob,

As I said, your comments have been offered by others
before who view the magazine as more of a publicity
offering and should be given away free as marketing
material.

No offense taken by anything you have said.  It is a
well done publication as you mentioned and they simply
choose to sell it rather than give it away.  I buy it
just to support the effort and have something to read
over and over again.  I keep all these mags on my
nightstand and my wife has said many times "Haven't
you read that one to death already?"  Yup...but I like
to pick it up and thumb through it anyway,

Some may choose not to buy it.  But, your points are
well taken and I'm sure DMCH gave this alot of thought
when they decided to go forward with it.

I don't think that anything said here would change
thier business plan for this publication so it's a
fairly moot discussion at this point, I think.

Regards

Tom Watkins

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:12:56 -0500

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I wasn't trying to speak negatively about DELOREANS,
it is well done,
the
pictures are nice, etc...
but it is more of a Catalog that often offers
instructions on how to
install
their own products.
I don't have a problem with any of that really.
However, I get amazing catalogs the size of phone
books from other
manufacturers
and don't pay a cent for them.

Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 02:03:44 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Drive-In

From: "thebrave65" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
      Yes, I have.   Since it was Summer, (and I kinda wanted to show off
the car) I left the doors open.  Laid the speaker on the dash. No problem.
   Now the drive-in uses a freq. on the radio- no speakers to hang on the
window.    Drive Stainless    Robert    VIN 6924
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Drive-In
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:28:42 -0000

Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone ever been to a drive-in movie
with their DeLorean?  I was wondering if the speakers fit in the windows.

Johnny

Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 00:09:21 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DMCH, DCS, Gullwing and the rest of the story

In a message dated 5/27/2005 10:44:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

<<<It wasn't supposed to offer up tech articles.
(at least  that is what I heard)
I am guilty of submitting tech articles to Ken  myself!
He needed the content, so it made sense to add  it.>>>

Hi all
This subject comes up all the time and in making a magazine we found out
that we actually had a lot to offer technically since I had refurbished 5
DeLoreans last year.
That followed with tons of tech stuff so why not. And it seems to be  working

Anyway regardless of magazine, Mine, Gullwing, DeLoreans or DW the bottom
line is that there is something for everyone.  I Started mine not knowing
Gullwing was going to happen until I had made my invesments.

I was content to use DW (Then DeLorean World) but when I got  Banned from DW
I had to do something for advertising.

And rather than sugar coat it here is what happened (condensed  version)

It was John Truscot that informed me of the ban ( John and I are friends  and
I appreciated him telling me) I am banned because of tax  purposes.  We had
to be a club and they considered me THEN  competition. (John saw my form at the
Memphis show and brought that  information back to the DOA (Why then and not
before I Have  no idea. ))

Recent conversations with Sasha resulted in the same result as he wanted to
know my Agenda and we had a great conversation and it boiled down to  me being
considered competition.  I do not see it that way but I need  to advertise
the show to give you all the best show possible and to reach new  people.  ( I
still offer to advertise for DOA if they wish)

The DOA dissolved the chapters in hope of the Chapters and such doing their
own thing
I did but THAT was not what they had in mind.

I wrote a letter to one of the members and received NO response so,

Bottom line if I had not been banned there would have been no DCS
So thank you DOA.  (PS I attend DOA events and enjoy what they do so  this is
not intended to be a DOA bash but it is the reason we started  DCS magazine)

DCS gives me a chance to  highlight the owners and let you do the  articles.
As you know we look for articles from owners so here is a plug  to submit
your articles.

The Car Show needed exposure

The new magazine has done that.  New owners seem to find the web  page or
Hemmings and we are doing well.

The Car Show benefits by getting exposure and I think it worked. Look at  PF.
 And we keep getting new people so that works.

All of these magazines are done for various reasons.  DeLoreans seems  to be
the one to be picked on in this round.  But keep in mind it offers  different
information than mine or Gullwing.

DCS and Gullwing are very similar I believe.  There is more tech stuff  in
Gullwing and its more frequent than DCS  4 issues a year vs 2, I enjoy  Gullwing
and I believe Ron likes DCS. I use the magazine to promote not only the  show
but I try to highlight our members in Europe and abroad (Down Under).   I
think this is a part of our community that needs more coverage and the stuff
they come up with is great.  Our next cover comes from Europe again.
So while similar it is somewhat different.  And Ron and I try not to
duplicate articles althought from time to time I am sure we will miss  something,

DeLoreans Promote DMCH with tech articles and show info.

Its a very simple choice.

There are four magazines ( and various newsletters)
Go with the one that suites you best and if you have money left over pick  up
another one or two.
Your subscription from me goes to support the magazine and hopefully one  day
help support the show.

So rather than tear down magazines enjoy the ones you like.  Its not  easy
and its a lot of work.  This is a great time for DeLorean owners since  you have
soo much to choose from.

I'll keep doing it as long as you all keep buying them.  And thanks  for
making this year a big success.

DCS is here to stay. PERIOD.   :-

Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:35:11 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I really appreciate the original question and your answer.

I just replaced the fuel pump in my car when it died, apparently from
overheating.  I also replaced the upper boot, which was rotted out.
The lower boot was in great shape, probably replaced the last time
the fuel pump was done.

Whoever replaced it for the previous owner (maybe he did it himself)
used a couple of nylon ties around the base of the lower boot and
nothing where the return line passes through the lower boot.  None
the wiser, I put my new pump in the same way and, while I tightened
the new ties the best I could, with the upper boot removed, I have
also seen gas inside the lower boot around the pump itself.  I
thought maybe that was normal.

Guess who just bought a nice big clamp for the base of the lower boot
and a smaller one for around the return line?  Everything will be
nice and dry in there from now on.

Thanks again,
Marv
#10820

Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:23:35 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Painting Opinions

I recently obtained quotes for painting the front and rear fascias since I definitely do not have enough experience to try it on my own.  The back has been repainted before and is chipping but the front is all original and still even has the tape marks from the foam padding on the bumper where it left the factory some 24 years ago!  My question is that the quote was for $480(from Maaco) for both which sounds high to me but might be right in line compared to what other owners have experienced-does that price seem about right?  I should've picked up a pair of Josh's refurbished ones while I had a chance!

Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 12:36:09 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Jeremiah's Challenge -> DCS PR (Chicago) Thoughts

Did you cut off the unused ear? If not, shouldn't the repaired port be
identifiable as the only one with three bolt holes?

I'll accept your challenge simply because I love to climb under cars.
In fact, I'm hoping Ken can incorporate some parking lot mechanicing
into the show. DeLorean ownership is not all spit & polish -- there's
a significant greasy hands component. May as well showcase that as well.

Also, there are a lot of DeLoreans out there that simply are not
pristine examples of the marque. Some are recently purchased after
years of abuse/disuse. Some are still in the middle of restoration.
And some are simply too far gone to justify the investment necessary
to compete. But they're DeLoreans nonetheless (and made it to the show
under their own power!). Let's include them all, in some capacity.

Of course an owner who has invested thousands of dollars and hundreds
of man hours does not want to be parked next to a suffering or damaged
vehicle, so I don't think a single venue is best. But two separate
areas of gathering would work.

Also, I think it is fully representative of JZD's dream to see
the gamut of cars out there. Some are maintained to extremely high
standards befitting a "luxury" sports car. Some are driven to the
envelope of design life, often by people who can't afford a true
exotic (as was his original 12K intention). Some have survived
collisions or other damage to remain road worthy. Others are returned
to the road after years of neglect, almost as testaments.

Since my car seems to be accumulating dents, I'll be parked around
back by the kitchen entrance.