From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2645
Date: Monday, May 30, 2005 12:34 PM

1. Re: Re: Pulling an Automatic
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

2. Re: Re: Pulling an Automatic
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:36:08 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Pulling an Automatic

On May 30, 2005, at 12:20 AM, Dave Swingle wrote:

> This is an acedemic question at this point, but how do you turn the
> engine over to get to the converter bolts without removing the
> muffler (I have the muffler off so I could turn the engine over more
>  quickly in quest of the mysterious noise).

I don't know what the "official" method is, but I've always turned
the engine by wedging a large flat-blade screwdriver (through the
starter opening) between the bell housing and the teeth of the flex
plate, twisting the screwdriver and rotating the engine one tooth at
a time.  Tedious, but not as bad as it sounds.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:25:05 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Dave Swingle wrote:

>This is an acedemic question at this point, but how do you turn the
>engine over to get to the converter bolts without removing the
>muffler

Personally I have an excellent special tool called a super wrench - it's
the one in the middle of this pic

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/images/exhaust/2toolsdetail.jpg

That's my smallest one.The biggest one grabs onto the end of the water
pump pulley beautifully and as long as the alternator belt is on tight
enough, this will rotate the engine